• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.1.2 released

ramparter

Banned
I just mine everything and end up with so much cash I buy arrows from every shop when I pass lol.
I was wondering about that, the precious stones you mine are just for selling or can be used for other stuff later?
No spoilers please just an answer if I should keep them all or some of them, thanks.

Zedark

I was wondering about that, the precious stones you mine are just for selling or can be used for other stuff later?
No spoilers please just an answer if I should keep them all or some of them, thanks.
Keep the sapphires. Edit: On second thought, you might need others as well. Keep a few around, though you can mine them quite easily if you lack some. At some point you can use them for a specific purpose (SPOILER of the purpose)
namely to upgrade some of your gear, specifically the circlets.

D.Lo

From what I can tell, keep only diamonds?

But the first time I needed a cash boost I had like 100 rubies and multiple hundreds of other stones so didn't even need to sell them all.

jariw

Gems are all used for other things. Depending on what you will do in the game you might need them a lot, or not at all.

BTW, almost everything that isn't eatable are used for other purposes somewhere in the game. Even some of the eatable resources are also required for things outside cooking.

1n42zs.jpg

I've been selling half of everything I find except diamonds and luminous stones. I haven't figured out what to use anything for, but arrows and armor don't buy themselves so I gotta sell them shits.

optimiss

But the first time I needed a cash boost I had like 100 rubies and multiple hundreds of other stones so didn't even need to sell them all.

What is the best way to mine stones?
Right now I just wander around the lava lake in Eldin looking for them.

TheJoRu

Why is Nintendo allergic to real patch notes? What on earth is the harm?

I don't think they like talking about technical things in too much detail, they don't want players thinking about those things. People like us think about stuff like the framerate, and we'll notice the difference if it's improved, but a lot of people don't really do that (maybe in the K
orok
F
orest
they notice).

Basically, some people may not have noticed that the framerate drops at times or if there's some bug they fixed some people may not have encountered it, and Nintendo would rather those people be oblivious to the fact there was a problem to begin with.

Not saying it's a good thing BTW, just making an educated guess on how they might be thinking.

Huh? Did they downgrade stuff before this?

No, they didn't.

maxcriden

Luminous stones are mega plentiful, can sell most of them no issues

Good to know. I thought I came across
someone somewhere that made Guardian proof armor out of the luminous stones
or something.

Anyways, time to go cash in, thanks!

What is the best way to mine stones?
Right now I just wander around the lava lake in Eldin looking for them.

Gems are all used for other things. Depending on what you will do in the game you might need them a lot, or not at all.

BTW, almost everything that isn't eatable are used for other purposes somewhere in the game. Even some of the eatable resources are also required for things outside cooking.

Here is a gem selling price list courtesy of Fuzzy in the OT:

Amber 30
Opal 60
Luminous Stone 70
Topaz 180
Ruby 210
Sapphire 260
Diamond 500

Mining stones: optimiss, you have the best method for doing so right now. But, do you have the Sheikah Slate feature of
the Hyrule Compendium?
If so,
photograph
a rare ore deposit and
target it with your sensor.
That will bring you better gems sooner.

Also, (mild enemy type spoilers)
as you become stronger in the game, you will meet silver Bokos. These fellows drop rare ore, and are often easier to come across than rare ore deposits.

The spoiler-tagged method above is my preferred method for getting rare gems. Get some high level weapons, kick some powerful butt, and you will be able to utilize that method regularly. The
silver Bokos are easy to defeat if you keep wailing on them. They're powerful but if you don't let them getting a fighting word in you will prevail with most any weapon.

Regarding the gem-buying (mild spoilers)
Gerudo in Goron City who buys gems 10 at a time and pays extra, it appeared for us she did not show up in the City until we completed the Divine Beast in that area. I'm not sure if she was there and we just didn't notice or if beating the Divine Beast triggered her appearance. She gives you a decent sum of rupees above what you would normally get. For example, for 10 diamonds you get an extra 500 rupees.

With that said, your other gems are going to give you an immense amount of rupees. One additional tip about her, once she asks for a kind of gem she wants it appears she won't change her mind until you sell that type to her. I read somewhere that if you sell her an item, make a save before you talk to her again so you can reload the save repeatedly until she offers to buy the kind of gem you next want her to buy. Unfortunately we learned this *after* she asked for ten more diamonds after it took us forever to get her the first ten diamonds.

Additionally, I don't know if like us you were using bombs exclusively on ore, but a poster in here recently kindly mentioned you can use some types of weapons on ore as well. The benefit to this which we didn't immediately realize is that the ore will not going flying as it does with bombs. So if you use this method on cliffside ore, you will have a higher likelihood of being able to retrieve its contents.

BTW, you will definitely want to hold on to at least one spare diamond for a specific purpose. (moderate spoilers)
There is a weapon in the game that you can repair when fully broken, using multiple materials including a single diamond.

Edit: and judging by some posts on this page, there will potentially be another reason for you to hold onto diamonds besides this. So I wouldn't sell any of your diamonds yet until you know you do or don't want them for this purpose (unsure how many diamonds you will need for both these things, but since you can get a lot of rupees with other existing gems I would just hold on to them for now).

from regular on foot archers you can usually get 5 arrows before the rest break on impact.

Hmm, we only ever seem to get 3. Maybe we're not paying sufficient attention though. With that said, arrow Bokos when defeated seem to leave 5 arrow bundles 25% of the time. And the Lizalfos at the
Ridgeland
Tower seem to have plentiful 5 arrow bundles of shock arrows to leave behind.

It made Jim Sterling change his opinion about weapon breaking.

Well I sure as shit still hate it. Luckily we can get around it in CEMU.

I think that fix is inevitable, but I hope they don't do anything to make that area look less beautiful because good lord, it looks like concept art come to life.

So good. (5K screenshot of Korok Woods)

You may want to spoiler-tag this. People are quite sensitive about BOTW spoilers.

I made it a link.... of Link... in the woods.

Steiner

Banned

Where the hell are you mining? I explore pretty freely / often, and I've never had more than 10 gems at a time.

Breath of the Wild has spoilers?!?! Jeez thanks for the spoiler warning...

I guess. I haven't been there yet, but I saw a screenshot of that place in the PC screenshot thread. The only thing that was spoiled to me is that it's pretty. But I'm sure when I see it in person, a screenshot will not compare.

Good to know. I thought I came across
someone somewhere that made Guardian proof armor out of the luminous stones
or something.

Anyways, time to go cash in, thanks!

Cant remember what that needs off the top of my head as i aint got round to buying that yet but they are so plentiful, and easy to mine at night as the rocks containing them glow

Cant remember what that needs off the top of my head as i aint got round to buying that yet but they are so plentiful, and easy to mine at night as the rocks containing them glow

Are you talking about the armor in the
Secret Gerudo Club
shop? I assumed the only guardian-specific armor was the
Guardian Armor from the other research lab

trixx

why would you purposefully make it so that you have infinite arrows? lol not like arrows are scarce once you've played quite a bit of the game.

Top Bottom