• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Controller announced - X360pad design, no screen, "for multiplatform games"

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
People have been ripping off Nintendo's controller designs for decades. But when the reverse happens, it's Nintendo who the ones that are shameless?

it just goes to prove they're not above doing the same thing when push comes to shove. time to shout it from the rooftops, IMO, so people can shut the fuck up about "copying" other console developers.

Ithil

Some people seem to be forgetting that all the buttons on this controller, are on the GamePad. Any game played with this controller is playable on the GamePad too, since that's the default.

This is just a more convenient way of playing games that don't use the screen or motion controls.

Kapura

Banned
Xbox 360 controller, potentially with a less-shitty D-pad? Controller of forever confirmed. And buttons below sticks is a sharp knees complaint. It looks plenty comfortable, and great for shooters.

Like it's been said a billion times.

Please be bundled! It's a buy from me if it is! If not, there will be too many weird compatibility issues.

linkboy

Well, Nintendo just solved that problem of the Wii U only supporting 2 Wii U controllers.

This controller is the tablet controller without a screen, that's why the sticks are where they are.

Personally, I like it. The stick position will take some getting used to, but I'll adjust.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Xbox 360 controller, potentially with a less-shitty D-pad? Controller of forever confirmed. And buttons below sticks is a sharp knees complaint. It looks plenty comfortable, and great for shooters.

Ha ha, actually, the layout of the controller basically seems to say "we know you bros only play FPS games so here's the pad explicitly optimized for FPS twin stick shooters".

Which is true. Movement and aiming on aligned analog sticks. Triggers and shoulder buttons for most common functions. D-pad and digital face buttons in a secondary position for less critical functions.

Black-Box

6arI1.png

Xbox controller is the best

not going to lie, I thought there was a PS3 controller and a white and black xbox controller

Mlatador

Banned
Everyone will be pleased as long as you give them OPTIONS. If somebody preferes dual-analog, so be it. If somebody else likes to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck better - alright!

It's all about options! It doesn't make sense to make ONE specific control sheme mandatory, especially IF you have the options (different controllers available, millions of Wiimotes already there in the households...).

Just please everyone. Give them options. Problem solved.

The fact that there will be multiple control mechanisms available for the Wii U (balance boards, classic controllers, Wiimotes/Nunchucks, WiiU gamepads) is FANTASTIC, simply FANTASTIC!!

That way you can enjoy certain generes to it's fullest!

If I were to guess this is their solution to multiplayer games that utilize controller functions that the Wiimote can't replicate. So stuff like dual analog sticks, more buttons, etc. Basically if I were playing CoD or something I would get the uPad and everyone else would get one of these.

They should have just copied stick placement, current stick placement looks awkward. I mean the GC had same stick placement as the current xbox controller.

Everyone will be pleased as long as you give them OPTIONS. If somebody preferes dual-analog, so be it. If somebody else likes to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck better - alright!

It's all about options! It doesn't make sense to make ONE specific control sheme mandatory, especially IF you have the options (different controllers available, millions of Wiimotes already there in the households...).

Just please everyone. Give them options. Problem solved.

The fact that there will be multiple control mechanisms available for the Wii U (balance boards, classic controllers, Wiimotes/Nunchucks, WiiU gamepads) is FANTASTIC, simply FANTASTIC!!

That way you can enjoy certain generes to it's fullest!

Just don't give me the DKC:R shit where I'm forced to use a particular type of controller.

Einbroch

Banned
Choice is great in a lot of circumstances, but I see it in this situation as a negative.

This controller basically gives the developer a reason not to utilize the touchscreen when porting games to it's full potential. And buttons below sticks? Meh.

linkboy

They should have just copied stick placement, current stick placement looks awkward. I mean the GC had same stick placement as the current xbox controller.

The whole point of this controller is to be the Gamepad but without a screen. They kept the stick positions the same for that reason.

Why do I get the feeling that the face button position is ass on the WiiU60 pad?

Using the right analog and those buttons might be a problem.

Depends on the game, but most games have you resting on the face buttons, so this is gonna be a pain. Same for the primary Wii U controller.

Why does anyone play those two systems in the first place? The games they share are what the bro dudes are looking for. This is the bro dude controller. Bro dude games can now be played on this console, so the idea is bro dude games will be made for the console.

They're just trying to bring in the bro dude crowd by appealing to the developers who make bro dude games.

Bro dude.

I believe it's "dudebro" ;)

And Microsoft has the dudebro demographic by the ass. Making a 360 clone isn't going to get an entire demographic to jump ship. I'm still struggling to see how this clone controller is getting any real excitement.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Choice is great in a lot of circumstances, but I see it in this situation as a negative.

This controller basically gives the developer a reason not to utilize the touchscreen when porting games to it's full potential. And buttons below sticks? Meh.
they already had a reason, as it wasn't mandatory that they do utilise it. A controller not everyone has over the default uPad doesn't suddenly make it more likely that they won't just as devs weren't less likely to support the Wiimote because the CC Pro was made.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Also it's funny how anyone can copy the shape design of the 360 controller but MS can't use the D-Pad design of a Nin controller.

MS should have the right to patent their controllers shape design.. It perfection when held, really unfair tbh. Anyone can reap the benefit of the 360's controllers design it seems.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, does this mean the primary face buttons are now X and A? That sounds so weird, haha. Well, for a Nintendo controller, at least.

There is a power on button... guess for yourself.
Ah, good point.

linkboy

I believe it's "dudebro" ;)

And Microsoft has the dudebro demographic by the ass. Making a 360 clone isn't going to get an entire demographic to jump ship. I'm still struggling to see how this clone controller is getting any real excitement.

Here's one.

The Wii U only supports 1 (or 2) tablet controllers. With this controller, we can play multiplayer games with 4 controllers that have the exact same layout.

Why do I get the feeling that the face button position is ass on the WiiU60 pad?

Using the right analog and those buttons might be a problem.

Why would that be? The controller is the same size you are extending your finger in the same way as you would if you placed the analogue on the bottom same movement in reverse. People are over thinking this.

I gues it is another new reason not to get the console. As if some needed a reason besides personal bias to begin with.

AGITΩ

I like it. Looks like Nintendo just wants to keep the D-Pad next to the face buttons for classic control scheme.
My first thought actually:
AzVKu.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Now that I think about it Iwata didn't mention the old CC or CC Pro in the "compatible with" speech.
Makes sense since those haven't clickable sticks, bummer tho I don't wanna buy 3 WUCP.

I wonder if only the remote Plus will be supported for motion controlled games (or remote with pkus attachment obviously). i hope so.

Top Bottom