• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 6.2 million units worldwide during the 2016 holiday season

If you read the article, it's full of some pretty poor overall analysis. Selling more consoles on the first day than any other console in the West is a notable figure, and one that deserved more insightful analysis than the bizarre comparisons made to the Wii U, PS2 and Gamecube. A better piece might have focused on something meaningful like pent-up demand and marketing, not that "all consoles launch well."

Yeah, I went ahead and read the article and...it's pretty bad. I actually didn't know the PS4 had the best launch ever in the West.

legend166

It's interesting that sales are even further concentrating in the holiday period. Sales were essentially flat based on a yearly comparison but up 500k over the holidays.

vy5jt0Q.gif

Hahahahahah that's a perfect gif 😂

StereoVsn

Man, they did better then 2015. 2017 can be expected even better since there is an insane number of games coming this new year.

Unknown?

It's interesting that sales are even further concentrating in the holiday period. Sales were essentially flat based on a yearly comparison but up over a million over the holidays.
I'm wondering if when it inevitably drops to $199 if that will make it take off? PS2 didn't explode until it hit that price. But as far as it being concentrated, consumers know now that they'll temporarily drop the price during the holidays. In 2015 it was the first year that Sony did that but now we can expect it because it wasn't a one time thing.

kswiston

PS4 on track to beat 3DS sales this year...I wonder how long it will take.

4th quarter. 3DS was at 61.5M by Sept 30th, and was likely close to or just past 65M as of the end of 2016. Add 2017's sales to that. Even if they are way down, it will take Sony until the holidays to burn through that 10M lead.

Would they reach 100 million in 5 years?

Depends on if yearly sales have peaked or not. It's possible. If they get to $199 by the end of the year, it's probably likely.

Edit - Wait, I thought PS4 was sitting at 60 million sold. It's quite a bit lower than that. I don't think it can hit 100 million in two years, no.

Malakai

PS4 accomplished in ~1180 days what took the 3DS ~1250 days to accomplish. At about 2x the average price.

Edit: pressed enter one too many times on the calc

3DS primary only had Nintendo first party titles to push the 3DS in the West vs Sony that had the full might of every third party publisher under the sun...

kswiston

Depends on if yearly sales have peaked or not. It's possible. If they get to $199 by the end of the year, it's probably likely.

This year was what? 18M or so shipped? Last year was a bit less than 18M.

Even if 2016 was the peak, PS4 should have a pretty gradual drop off for the next two years. Figure 15M this year and 12M in 2018.

That would put the console in the low to mid 80s depending on where this year landed. Even if new consoles are out in 2019, I think that a mid-90s finish is a conservative sales target at this point.

EDIT: I misread his post. I thought he was asking if 100M would happen in 5 years from now. Not 5 years from launch.

I'm a bit skeptical of the number within 5 years because as well as the 6.2 number is, something weird is going on with the US market (down heavily while ROTW is up). If US being down was just a function of SW sales being down, I think then yes, I agree with you. With a potential $199 point, it might hit the 100 mil mark within 5 years.

But if the US being down issue continues, it becomes way tougher.

This year was what? 18M or so shipped? Last year was a bit less than 18M.

Even if 2016 was the peak, PS4 should have a pretty gradual drop off for the next two years. Figure 15M this year and 12M in 2018.

That would put the console in the low to mid 80s depending on where this year landed. Even if new consoles are out in 2019, I think that a mid-90s finish is a conservative sales target at this point.

EDIT: I misread his post. I thought he was asking if 100M would happen in 5 years from now. Not 5 years from launch.

I'm a bit skeptical of the number within 5 years because as well as the 6.2 number is, something weird is going on with the US market (down heavily while ROTW is up). If US being down was just a function of SW sales being down, I think then yes, I agree with you. With a potential $199 point, it might hit the 100 mil mark within 5 years.

But if the US being down issue continues, it becomes way tougher.

I was wrong (I thought WW PS4 numbers were over 60 million) and edited my post. 100 million by the end of 2018 is highly unlikely.

FTF

O_0 Wow that's really impressive. Congrats Sony, PS4 is a damn fine console. Also, awesome for UC4, loved it and well deserved.

kswiston

Regardless, I was wrong anyway and edited my post. 100 million by the end of 2018 is highly unlikely.

Ya, I thought he was asking about 5 years from now (basically the end point of PS4 sales).

2 years from now is going to be somewhere in the 80s unless 2017 increases and 2018 barely drops.

RocknRola

The software part is really, really impressive. That's good for Sony and 3rd parties alike. Wonder what the total attach ratio must be these days...

Memento

2017 should be even better considering the games.

Sony will have marketing deal with Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2. The 3 biggest games of the year.

Then, they will have a stacked Q1. Horizon in special could be huge.

There is also the possibility of God of War releasing in 2017. That is a far bet, but if it could make it, that would be gigantic for PS4.

Last but not least the possibility of a pricecut: $199 Slim, $299 Pro. If they couls manage to do that, then Sony would break every possible record.

kswiston

Sony will have marketing deal with Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2. The 3 biggest games of the year.

There is also the possibility of God of War releasing in 2017. That is a far bet, but if it could make it, that would be gigantic for PS4.

Last but not least the possibility of a pricecut: $199 Slim, $299 Pro. If they couls manage to do that, then Sony would break every possible record.

18-19M units shipped in a year is a ton of consoles. Especially when Japan is barely buying them.

legend166

Edit - Wait, I thought PS4 was sitting at 60 million sold. It's quite a bit lower than that. I don't think it can hit 100 million in two years, no.

Yeah, it's practically impossible. According to these numbers below, it's at 53.4 after 38 months. It's not doing another 47 in 24 months unless something unforeseen happens.

2013: 4.2M
2014: 14.3M
2015: 17.4M
2016: 17.5M

I also don't think $199 is the magic bullet of 'mass market' that people seem to think. The market has changed dramatically since the days of the PS2 kicking on getting a second life after its 5th year. I don't believe those customers - more cost sensitive and most likely family friendly, don't exist in the same capacity in the retail console market any more. And from Sony's strategy, I don't think they think it exists either, considering they're trying to lengthen the tail of the PS4 by appealing to enthusiasts with the Pro.

Also, the sales of the PS4 really show just how beneficial a whole world market strategy is, and how much that investment from Sony over the last two decades has paid off. Microsoft and Nintendo really should take note.

Elandyll

Banned
Is Spider-Man a 2017 game?
2018 earliest imo.
Same for Detroit.

GoW is up in the air, I think 2017 is possible, but if they want to avoid a crowded Q4 it could be their Spring 2018 tentpole, although I could also see Days Gone as such.

Dreams should be 2017, prolly summer.

TLOU2 is probably 2019, probable year of PS5 (amusingly, same situation as PS4 and TLOU). WilD is prolly 2019 too.

Boke1879

I'm waiting to see if they have any sort of deal with ME:A. the land rover thing was in their KING advertising commercial, and it was there during the Pro showcase.

Top Bottom