• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't alter anything so no idea how they are messed up. This is from the new video BTW.

rcpunn.gif

Insane quality, So much attention to detail, Love the smoke effects!

asmudge

Banned
So what if thats how he chooses to buy his games? If it works for him then why do people care? Some of you get defensive and insecure over everything...

cackhyena

Why are you letting reviews decided if you should buy a game? People really do this?
I don't get down with that "must be a certain score" bullshit, but I do wait for reviews on games like this. It looks great. Does it play as well? A handful of reviews should be enough to let me know regarding actual game play.

Edit

He's clipping through his shoulder thing, firing that gun. Will never buy now.

asmudge

Banned
''he doesnt.......it seems''

lol ok

Maybe he bought destiny a 70s rated game find out he doesnt like it and decided not to buy such rated games anymore? But yeah go on and browse trough peoples post history, take down notes and make assumptions everyone is out to get poor sony if something doesnt make sense to you.

crankyxt

''he doesnt.......it seems''

lol ok

Maybe he bought destiny a 70s rated game find out he doesnt like it and decided not to buy such rated games anymore? But yeah go on and browse trough peoples post history, take down notes and make assumptions everyone is out to get poor sony if something doesnt make sense to you.

I don't care about the Sony & MS fighting back and forth, which is so dumb. But come on man, people go back on what people said on anything before, plus he is not consistent on what he said about games. I hope he buy games only for 9 from on then..

nib95

Banned
On the topic of review scores this gen, do people realise that basically barely any games on these new consoles actually have a 90+ metacritic? In-fact, the only PS4 games that do are Grand Theft Auto V Remastered, The Last of Us Remastered, Flower, Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, Rayman Legends and Fez. GTAV Remastered and Rayman Legends being the only two on the Xbox One. The Wii U not doing that much better than the two new consoles either.

Point is, more than one person has set their purchase rating barometer for this game at 90 so far, and that isn't just an absurd expectation for The Order 1886 in particular, but absurd for any game full stop. Right now a proper next gen only, non-remastered or never before released on the older consoles, 90+ metacritic game on either of the two new consoles, is actually non existent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the topic of review scores this gen, do people realise that basically barely any games on these new consoles actually have a 90+ metacritic? In-fact, the only PS4 games that do are Grand Theft Auto V Remastered, The Last of Us Remastered, Flower, Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, Rayman Legends and Fez. GTAV Remastered and Rayman Legends being the only two on the Xbox One. The Wii U not doing that much better than the two new consoles either.

Point is, more than one person has set their purchase rating barometer at 90 so far, and that isn't just an absurd expectation for The Order 1886 in particular, but absurd for any game full stop. Right now a proper next gen only, non-remastered or never before released on the older consoles, 90+ metacritic game on either of the two new consoles, is actually non existent.
I find few games I purchase and love these days even getting out of the high 70s/low 80s

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Same. My 2014 GOTY, and the game I've also spent the most time with in recent months, has a metacritic of 71 lol.
I just wish people didn't take review scores for games so seriously. I'm someone who watches a ton of movies and most people only care about reviews for film if they're overwhelmingly glowing or completely panned. Hell, even that doesn't always matter. For some reason, fans of games rely more on review score numbers as a measure of quality than in other mediums and it drives me nuts.

I just wish people didn't take review scores for games so seriously. I'm someone who watches a ton of movies and most people only care about reviews for film if they're overwhelmingly glowing or completely panned. Hell, even that doesn't always matter. For some reason, fans of games rely more on review score numbers as a measure of quality than in other mediums and it drives me nuts.

I don't think there's a problem with using review scores to determine whether or not to buy games on a personal level. It's people's money and of course, they are free to proceed as they want.

It's problematic when people use reviews or aggregate review sites like Metacritic in discussions of whether a game is good, bad or better then another.

nib95

Banned
I reckon Galahad is going to become an iconic Sony character, in all honesty. Bookmark it. ;)

His character certainly has potential. Already he appears to be a chivalrous and noble character, even from the little we've seen of him.

Looks more like a deliberately foggy environment.

Pretty sure several of the gameplay segments are overly washed out, with a complete absense of true black. You can even see it in the GIF at the top of this page. Weird that this has happened on a few occasions now. Hell, the Uncharted 4 demo trailer had the wrong gamma/RGB levels applied, that's a monumental blunder as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't seen one commercial here in the US.

I guess it depends on the channel and the shows. Big ads for it aired before the Superbowl and during the middle of The Walking Dead mid-season premiere. Ads have been running on Syfy and Spike, which is where a lot of the demographic is.

Not sure what you watch, but they have been all over. I've seen some on spike, fx, and comedy central. I think one was on during the walking dead last night as well but im not positive.

I saw the ad during the walking dead. It has been advertised pretty well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think there's a problem with using review scores to determine whether or not to buy games on a personal level. It's people's money and of course, they are free to proceed as they want.

It's problematic when people use reviews or aggregate review sites like Metacritic in discussions of whether a game is good, bad or better then another.
Right, that's what I was getting at. Sorry for not being clear. My issue is with metascore being seen as an objective measure of quality.

Truth is all of that is changing which is good.
Already have my copy pre order .

Ishan

OFF topic response to person mentioning review scores influencing purchasing

guess it comes with the territory of 60 dollar purchases. If I had a lot of money yeah sure I would try a lot more games. But if time/money restrict me to 2-3 games a year I don't see anything wrong with looking for those 1-2 games a year which do reach 90+.

Of course, I have exceptions to this (eg nd games I just mostly blind buy, but then again im not sure how much of an exception that is since they havent put out a sub 90 metacritic in ages). If a year goes without many 90+ (eg last year) I'll consider high 80 scoring ones.

My reasoning behind this is simple. I'm not particular about any particular play style (eg rpg,over world, platformer, cinematic/linear etc) so if lots of ppl seem to agree its a good game i'll give it a shot and i set my bar on general review consensus.

Also there is also scientific evidence of the wisdom of crowds its the reason things like metacritic work in general someone reviews agood game badly someone else will review it super well on average crown consensus is a good barometer.

Finally when it comes to particular types of games i really like. These are very different and particular eg cs,dota. I already know what i'm looking for in these and don't need reviews to guide me. For example irrespective of what metacritic cs go has its a top game for me and finally a decent successor to 1.6 inspite of source scoring higher i still feel source is shit. On these I judge myself . On basically everything else I go by reviews. It's just what I am willing to spend time and money on.

Now one valid alternative questions could be why not go on impressions? Then what do I turn to ? User reviews those are badly scewed by so many random things (exclusivity, volvo diretide etc).

What I think could be a good alternative is if we had a gaf conensus score for each game. Yeah that's something I would be willing to consider as an alternative to metacritic but like I said conensus of review scores has served me well in the past so I don't see much of a reason to think of new things.

ON topic

This game looks amazing. Am seriously considering buying it.

Right, that's what I was getting at. Sorry for not being clear. My issue is with metascore being seen as an objective measure of quality.

I definitely agree that it is a poor objective indicator, but it is a relatively good indicator if you're uncertain.

Dishonored having great reviews all around made me want it, and the Metacritic solidified that fact. I had no interest in it before and loved it.

If this gets good reviews I'll buy it, but if it doesn't I won't. That isn't because I definitely won't like it, but rather that I have too much to play and want to prioritise great games.

-griffy-

Banned
His character certainly has potential. Already he appears to be a well rounded and noble character, even from the little we've seen of him.

Pretty sure several of the gameplay segments are overally washed out, with a complete absense of true black. You can even see it in the GIF at the top of this page. Weird that this has happened on a few occasions now. Hell, the Uncharted 4 demo trailer had the wrong gamma/RGB levels applied, that's a monumental blunder as far as I'm concerned.
It just looks foggy to me in both gifs.

Uncharted 4 seemed like a blunder though, but who knows. There was that whole sequence in The Last of Us that had intentionally limited blacks to make everything look faded/misty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom