• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To make the thread kind of move back on track:

Does anyone have any impressions from the people that have played the full game? No spoilers of course but just kind of how they feel about it.

Obviously, not the greatest indicator of things but it would be nice to read up on some impressions to make the wait easier.
I think everyone that has it so far is a Sony employee so they aren't going to say anything.

Gotta admit...after watching that I'm finally interested in The Order.

That may just be that because the video is not in english. Watching those faces during the dialogues, I imagine some intense drama is going on and that they are talking about something really interesting. Maybe if I could understand what they were saying I'd go "meh, this is just gonna be another shooty game." But right now I really care to find out what's going on.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
So whats going on with this game? Tried to do some research but find nothing but the 11 minute gameplay video and articles 1 yr + older.

Is it full legit again? Worthy? Im going to go back and read into this thread before asking obvious question.

I saw a few GIFS and what not and it looks pretty impressive.

Sort of reminded me of the PT demo, Starts with a cinema then its "right into" the game and I thought I was still watching the cinema.
The whole ordeal of you cant tell when the cinema ends and the game starts....you know like ps1 days theyd show a awesome cinema sequence then theyd toss you into a polygon mess. Blurring the line here possibly not sure...but sort of what I was talking about in the PT demo.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
This is impressive.

It's framed so that you can see the richly detailed bullets slide up the chamber as he works the loading bolt thing, which has an exquisitely smooth animation quality to it.

Game or movie, this is exceptional work here.

Whats crazy is how you can witness the force in his shoulder/arm of working the bolt. I rewatched the clip and maybe it was a poor quality and over embellished it. But overall it shows good motion working a gun of that nature.

Gotta admit...after watching that I'm finally interested in The Order.

That may just be that because the video is not in english. Watching those faces during the dialogues, I imagine some intense drama is going on and that they are talking about something really interesting. Maybe if I could understand what they were saying I'd go "meh, this is just gonna be another shooty game." But right now I really care to find out what's going on.

The game is more about the story, history, characters, graphics/sound and atmosphere along with solid gameplay which already worked to provide immersive experience as a package. We as a player try to uncover the secrets and change the fate of human kind against half breeds and whatever choice we make in the game changes how the game proceeds according to RAD. They have not said very much about the game still to keep spoilers free so I'm sure we are going to see some surprises looking at the developers confident with marketing and making a single player online game which is a big risk for $60 game. So far previews about the game are positive. Cant wait for 20.

Alo0oy

Banned
Still, though. Killzone and Knack were pretty bad to mediocre. InFamous was a beautiful game, but I found it to be extremely boring. I don't know anyone who played the PS4 Little Big Planet and I've no interest in it, either. Combine that with Sony's other first party output in recent years--stuff like Puppeteer, Tearaway, God of War: Ascension, Beyond: Two Souls--and you've got a bit of a pattern of beautiful but boring-as-hell games. I think it's understandable that a lot of people are a bit skeptical when it's not Gran Turismo or a game with Naughty Dog at the helm.

Sony releases one million exclusives every year, & unlike Nintendo & Microsoft, they're usually not aimed at the same demographic, in the same time span you mentioned, Sony released The Last of Us & Gran Turismo 6, both excellent games to the NeoGAF demographic, while the other games appeal to different demographics, Team ICO games aren't made for everyone, they're made for a specific demographic, while Killzone is made for the dudebro demographic (it is still the best selling exclusive between XB1 & PS4), Tearaway & Puppeteer also appeal to a completely different demographic. GoW's gameplay was as solid as the other games in the series, it just had inconsequential plot, which was what made it mediocre.

If Sont went the Nintendo/MS route of consolidating their exclusives with the same demographic, I'd stop being a Sony fan & game on PC instead, I game on PS4 because Sony tends to fund quirky games that barely sell & don't appeal to the general paying demographic.

For example, Sony is the only publisher willing to fund David Cage, & currently, Until Dawn.

Sony releases one million exclusives every year, & unlike Nintendo & Microsoft, they're usually not aimed at the same demographic, in the same time span you mentioned, Sony released The Last of Us & Gran Turismo 6, both excellent games to the NeoGAF demographic, while the other games appeal to different demographics, Team ICO games aren't made for everyone, they're made for a specific demographic, while Killzone is made for the dudebro demographic (it is still the best selling exclusive between XB1 & PS4), Tearaway & Puppeteer also appeal to a completely different demographic. GoW's gameplay was as solid as the other games in the series, it just had inconsequential plot, which was what made it mediocre.

If Sont went the Nintendo/MS route of consolidating their exclusives with the same demographic, I'd stop being a Sony fan & game on PC instead, I game on PS4 because Sony tends to fund quirky games that barely sell & don't appeal to the general paying demographic.

I completely agree. Sony try to diversify and cater every kind of gamer as they care very much unlike Nintendo/MS where they focus only on their core fans using their IP's and milking their characters too much even in some games and rarely invest in new IP's but sony always want to go for new experience by taking risk in new IP's.

That was a boring 11 minutes.

That's what she said.

I don't think I've seen RPG's that sends someone 2 feet in the air. A shotgun with that amount of power would disintegrate in his hands.

But whatever. I'll file it under "game logic".

If enemies reacted in a realistic fashion to getting shot everyone would be complaining that the weapons "lack impact". In reality people don't get knocked back by bullets and gas tanks don't explode and rockets don't erupt in fireballs, but that's what people are conditioned to expect.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So whats going on with this game? Tried to do some research but find nothing but the 11 minute gameplay video and articles 1 yr + older.

Is it full legit again? Worthy? Im going to go back and read into this thread before asking obvious question.

I saw a few GIFS and what not and it looks pretty impressive.

Sort of reminded me of the PT demo, Starts with a cinema then its "right into" the game and I thought I was still watching the cinema.
The whole ordeal of you cant tell when the cinema ends and the game starts....you know like ps1 days theyd show a awesome cinema sequence then theyd toss you into a polygon mess. Blurring the line here possibly not sure...but sort of what I was talking about in the PT demo.

Kind of related to this, but does anyone know if all of the cutscenes are done in real-time, or are they pre-rendered in the engine like the first three Uncharted games?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That is damn impressive if so. Some crazy stuff going on in a lot of those cutscenes and they keep the frame rate pretty stable.

The game is more about the story, history, characters, graphics/sound and atmosphere along with solid gameplay which already worked to provide immersive experience as a package. We as a player try to uncover the secrets and change the fate of human kind against half breeds and whatever choice we make in the game changes how the game proceeds according to RAD. They have not said very much about the game still to keep spoilers free so I'm sure we are going to see some surprises looking at the developers confident with marketing and making a single player online game which is a big risk for $60 game. So far previews about the game are positive. Cant wait for 20.

Well previous videos made the gameplay look uninteresting to me but if all goes according to plan that sounds good. Will wait for reviews and GAF's take.

Piggus

My only complaint with the reload gif is when it comes to bolt action rifles with non-detachable magazines like that one, closing the bolt after loading the magazine pushes a round into the chamber. So cycling the bolt like that should have ejected a round. Only in guns with a detachable magazine do you need to cycle it before shooting.

/pointless nitpicking

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Yes

Probably not every time.

Or maybe it does every time. Not sure.

Well thats what im wondering, thats where its a "Brand New Ball Game" so to speak.

back in the day youd see like on ps1 games cut-scenes...OMG..then actual gameplay, polygon jaggedness....It never was 1:1 transition, or close to it.

DoomGyver

My only complaint with the reload gif is when it comes to bolt action rifles with non-detachable magazines like that one, closing the bolt after loading the magazine pushes a round into the chamber. So cycling the bolt like that should have ejected a round. Only in guns with a detachable magazine do you need to cycle it before shooting.

/pointless nitpicking

Actually, if you press down on the ammunition while closing the bolt you can keep a round from loading in the chamber. At least on my rifles.

Mafia Films

Neo Member

/pointless nitpicking

CORRECT, didnt notice that. If a gun is loaded and you pull back bolt itll eject a round if there is ammo in the clip...since this is a old gun its got a internal magazine. Because technically theres no way to have bullets already in the clip without INITIALLY opening the bolt, loading in rounds, then pushing the bolt forward thus chambering a round.

If you watch the clip he pulls the bolt back, its empty then magically the rounds appear and he chambers a round.

Piggus

Actually, if you press down on the ammunition while closing the bolt you can keep a round from loading in the chamber. At least on my rifles.

True, I've been able to do that with my Mosin Nagant. it's kinda pointless though for most situations. :p

Probably just that vidya game flair that devs add to guns. It's like how most games with shotguns play the pump animation every time you reload even though in real life that would cause you to eject a live round unless the gun is completely empty.

Well thats what im wondering, thats where its a "Brand New Ball Game" so to speak.

back in the day youd see like on ps1 games cut-scenes...OMG..then actual gameplay, polygon jaggedness....It never was 1:1 transition, or close to it.
Thus is a quote from an interview with gamesbeat and Ru.
GamesBeat: It’s a visually arresting game. What stands out most is the seamless transition between the gameplay and cinematics.

Ru Weerasuriya: Absolutely. It was the goal from the very beginning. It’s nice to see that goal realized after this many years.

The seamless transitions are a big part of the vision of the game and everything between gameplay and cutscene is 1:1.

I'm not a physics major, but I don't think that's possible.

I would expect his body to slam against a wall or to be obliterated. Where's the force coming from to propel him up?

No, you're a pedant, not a physics major.
Is this the level of nonsense people are going to have to put up with?

Criticising the physics authenticity of a triple-barrel explosive shotgun. In Victorian London. In a game with werewolves. And Nicolai Tesla.
<rolls eyes>

I actually wasn't that interested in this (despite the interesting setting) for quite a long time but the recent stuff is really stoking my interest. It's just a shame it seems to be attracting so much shitposting and trolling. It's actually quite disheartening, sometimes, trying to find information or relevant discussion to try to gauge where the game is at and what to expect.
Reminiscent of Driveclub actually.

Well, this is a The Order 1886 thread so one would assume that the people who are interested in the game would populate said thread.

Nothing wrong in thinking the game isn't for you, but I myself would appreciate if you atleast tried explaining why it was boring, instead of just saying it without any context. But thats just me.

You need an explanation for why watching someone walk around and talk to people for 11 minutes in a language I don't understand is boring?

Arondight

People would think that looking around environments and interacting with items and just walking in areas would be boring but that's basically some of the best parts in games.

Bioshock Infinite had something similar at times and kind of nice to appreciate the art, environment, sounds, details lore etc and wish there were more and were the absolutely best parts of the game. When the shooting starts, everything feels terrible.

Another example is TLOU. Great environments, liked the items you collect to read, the recording you here and seeing Ellie interacting with the environment and having her own input.

Kind of expecting to do the same here and really hope RAD went crazy with the details and lore in this game.

jiiikoo

Banned
You need an explanation for why watching someone walk around and talk to people for 11 minutes in a language I don't understand is boring?

I think it would've helped if you had said that you were referring to that in the first place. Without any pointers to what you were referring when you said "boring", it is kinda hard to know.

Wow it's like a trailer for a crappy movie

And when you've said that in a thread in december, I'm not sure what you were expecting from this when you clicked the link. But carry on.

OsirisBlack

Banned
CORRECT, didnt notice that. If a gun is loaded and you pull back bolt itll eject a round if there is ammo in the clip...since this is a old gun its got a internal magazine. Because technically theres no way to have bullets already in the clip without INITIALLY opening the bolt, loading in rounds, then pushing the bolt forward thus chambering a round.

If you watch the clip he pulls the bolt back, its empty then magically the rounds appear and he chambers a round.

It appears to be a more advanced mag than they would have had back then the bullet is there the entire time it seems to be pushed up and into place by a spring like modern day M16AR1 or even the new Barrett mag.

Edited to add

Watched it again more closely. The bullets are there the entire time and they are spring loaded not sure how but they did take liberties with the weapon design.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
It appears to be a more advanced mag than they would have had back then the bullet is there the entire time it seems to be pushed up and into place by a spring like modern day M16AR1 or even the new Barrett mag.

Edited to add

Watched it again more closely. The bullets are there the entire time and they are spring loaded not sure how but they did take liberties with the weapon design.

yeah best case ud assume the trainer pre-loaded the gun, pushed down the bullets to keep the weapon safe/not chambered, so that you could go up and use the gun.

Cause otherwise basic functions would be open bolt, empty clip, load rounds into gun, spring keeps bullets pressed up, pushing bolt forward would chamber a round.

I think they overlooked mechanics, where as on a AR platform weapon having a detachable clip and pushing in the clip on a "closed bolt" then working the charging handle would chamber a round.

But it does a good enough job i didnt even notice it until someone else pointed it out sooooo.

cackhyena

True, I've been able to do that with my Mosin Nagant. it's kinda pointless though for most situations. :p

Probably just that vidya game flair that devs add to guns. It's like how most games with shotguns play the pump animation every time you reload even though in real life that would cause you to eject a live round unless the gun is completely empty.

They do that in movies too. I'm like "you should be one round shorter, dummy."

pastrami

/pointless nitpicking

The magazine is detachable. You can clearly see him insert a magazine in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOHTJiRQB9o#t=423

AlphaDump

Gold Member
that reload animation is like a next gen version of the RE4 one.

jesus christ those visuals are absolutely insane.

i am only reserving myself to gifs in these threads because I have a feeling the game is going to blow my face off once i boot it up in all its glory.

cannot wait to see what RAD has been keeping from us

Fnord

Can't just celebrate hard work, loads of games perceived as bad had hard work done on them too. The atmosphere is more mixed for this game than negative (just like users here) but that's a totally separate issue than actual reviews. There are positive previews and there are negative previews for this game. Important to remember, plenty of great games don't get great pre-release excitement (Wolfenstein). Hard to tell from preview sections how the rest of the game fares.

But there's a difference between a game getting little to no notice prior to release (Wolfenstein) and a game getting negative notice prior to release (The Order). This game is following the same trajectory that I've seen many games follow over the last several years. The very first public showing is greeted with a great deal of excitement, then every subsequent public showing is greeted by more and more cynicism. And, while NONE of that should have any affect on reviews (reviewers should review every game in a vacuum), it unfortunately does. Unless there's some sort of backlash against the cynicism (which it appears there is beginning to be, thankfully), this game will review middle of the road, regardless of its quality. The number of posts stating something along the lines of "it's pretty, but looks boring" is nuts for this title. How can something "look boring?" Within reason, of course. If it was just a dude sitting in a chair reading the paper, I can see how that could "look boring." But until you have a controller in your hands, you can't have any idea about how fun it is to actually play a game.

Fnord

There's definitely a narrative that the PS4 doesn't have any good exclusives.

I kind of agreed until Driveclub, but a lot of people seem down on that one, too. I didn't buy it until a couple of weeks ago, though, so I missed the launch troubles.

Still, though. Killzone and Knack were pretty bad to mediocre. InFamous was a beautiful game, but I found it to be extremely boring. I don't know anyone who played the PS4 Little Big Planet and I've no interest in it, either. Combine that with Sony's other first party output in recent years--stuff like Puppeteer, Tearaway, God of War: Ascension, Beyond: Two Souls--and you've got a bit of a pattern of beautiful but boring-as-hell games. I think it's understandable that a lot of people are a bit skeptical when it's not Gran Turismo or a game with Naughty Dog at the helm.

I'm in the same boat as you re:Driveclub. Didn't get it until recently, and have been pleasantly surprised. Really fun racing game.

I missed the memo where Tearaway and Puppeteer were "boring," though. As for GOW, I was burned out on the series when Ascension was released, so I can't speak to it. And I passed on Beyond, because it came out when the PS4 came out (or near to it). I'll pick it up on PS4 and, based on the enjoyment I got out of (yes, it's flawed) Heavy Rain, I don't expect to be bored by it, either.

One has to accept that some games can be quality games, but simply not in their wheelhouse. Think of it like movies or music. You can appreciate a song as being a good song, but not personally like it. You can appreciate a well crafted movie, but not personally find it compelling. Of course, you can also like crap knowing, objectively, that it's crap.

nib95

Banned
So its a seamless transition from the cinema scenes to actual gameplay?

Well their cut scene and gameplay engine is exactly the same, so theoretically they could, but doubt they do in every scene for artistic or game design reasons.

HairyImpracticalGavial.gif

aravuus

That was a boring 11 minutes.

I don't exactly disagree, but the fact that the story is apparently a pretty big deal makes me excited. I know very, very little about the game universe but from what I've seen, I definitely want to know more about what's going on

I'll buy the game when I can get it for ~20e or less

No, you're a pedant, not a physics major.
Is this the level of nonsense people are going to have to put up with?

Criticising the physics authenticity of a triple-barrel explosive shotgun. In Victorian London. In a game with werewolves. And Nicolai Tesla.
<rolls eyes>

I actually wasn't that interested in this (despite the interesting setting) for quite a long time but the recent stuff is really stoking my interest. It's just a shame it seems to be attracting so much shitposting and trolling. It's actually quite disheartening, sometimes, trying to find information or relevant discussion to try to gauge where the game is at and what to expect.
Reminiscent of Driveclub actually.

Ha Ha. Yeah, I think some artistic license should be granted here. It's fair to criticise some things about the game if you don't like them, but lets not go overboard.

It looks incredibly washed out in that voice actor footage, especially outside.
(yesyes artistic integrity, in this case the artistic integrity is washed out)

Respawn

Banned

For example, Sony is the only publisher willing to fund David Cage, & currently, Until Dawn.
Good post and agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom