• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjay1994

Honestly, this game would have so much less ire if RAD had a guy like Bruce Straley in some of the promotional material going over some game mechanics.

I really hope this game turns out well, but I do foresee the reviews all scrutinizing the game for not possessing the illusive "next generation gameplay" the press is clamoring for, and yet all the games they claim possess this mystical mcguffin (Evolve, TItanfall, Destiny,Watch Dogs) never cross an 85 threshold.

potam

Banned
fuckin' spoiler thread tempting me :(

Is this really releasing on a Friday and not a Tuesday? (yeah I know it's the 20th...just seems like a very Nintendo-esque move)

IvorB

I hope RAD and Naughty Dog share some tech because RAD could learn a lot oabout facial animations from ND and I'm sure ND are salivating over the texturing/textile tech RAD is using.

Well ICE team is part of Naughty Dog so I'm sure they are collaborating a great deal.

IvorB

Some spoiler free GIFs for you guys :)

Order12.gif

Order14.gif

Order15.gif

Yowzer! Just look at these god damn graphics.

potam

Banned
I'm pretty sure RAD developed this game 100% in house so I'm not sure how involved ICE actually was. Can anyone comment on this? Shinobi perhaps?

I was always under the assumption that ICE was more of an independent, mercenary-type group rather than a part of ND proper. Like, they were available to help with technical details for any of the devs, so even if they were helping, it would still be considered 100% RAD developed.

It's to release everywhere on the same day. They should have just done Tuesday for everyone.

Makes sense, just disappointed since I was thinking I was one Tuesday away from mustaches in my veins.

IvorB

I'm pretty sure RAD developed this game 100% in house so I'm not sure how involved ICE actually was. Can anyone comment on this? Shinobi perhaps?

The ICE team works across all Sony development. I think it's a safe bet to assume they had a hand in this.

I was always under the assumption that ICE was more of an independent, mercenary-type group rather than a part of ND proper. Like, they were available to help with technical details for any of the devs, so even if they were helping, it would still be considered 100% RAD developed.

ICE team is part of Naught Dog. From Wikipedia:

In addition to their inhouse game team, Naughty Dog is also home to the ICE Team (Initiative for a Common Engine Team),[8] one of SCE Worldwide Studios's central technology groups.

potam

Banned
The ICE team works across all Sony development. I think it's a safe bet to assume they had a hand in this.

ICE team is part of Naught Dog. From Wikipedia:

I guess my confusion is this: is ICE composed of ND guys who are actively working on other titles, or are they just a group within ND focusing on firmware, engine development, consulting, etc.?

Kagutaba

Back from the spoiler thread. I think the writing is pretty bad in some spots, especially the banter between Galahad and Igraine - she jokes about not being a damsel in a posh accent, than she tells a guy "Do you think I need a strong man?! ...Stay out of our way!" -
ten minutes later though she's used in a QTE to demonstrate how awesome the Arc gun is, completely powerless, Galahad has to save her from instantly getting mauled to death.
It's bad.

Surprisingly, the gameplay with the Lycans looked good, reminded me of Dead Space.

nib95

Banned

According to Shinobi they didn't. This engine and all assets were built from the ground up by Ready at Dawn alone. Unless I misunderstood his previous posts on the subject anyway.

nib95

Banned
Back from the spoiler thread. I think the writing is pretty bad in some spots, especially the banter between Galahad and Igraine - she jokes about not being a damsel in a posh accent, than she tells a guy "Do you think I need a strong man?! ...Stay out of our way!" - ten minutes later though she's used in a QTE to demonstrate how awesome the Arc gun is; completely powerless, Galahad has to save her from instantly getting mauled to death. It's bad.

Surprisingly, the gameplay with the Lycans looked good, reminded me of Dead Space.

This is the wrong thread for that. And the part you're discussing has no bearing on the writing,
her being mauled by the Lycan is simply by product of Gallahad stealing her Arc weapon and leaving her more defenceless. Just because she's sassy and believes she is tough enough to cope with things on her own, it doesn't mean she is invincible or immune to being killed or hurt. It's not poor writing that she is vulnerable to death. That's more realistic if anything. None of them, not even her, are invincible after all. The player himself dies countless times fighting against the Lycans.

IvorB

I guess my confusion is this: is ICE composed of ND guys who are actively working on other titles, or are they just a group within ND focusing on firmware, engine development, consulting, etc.?

I think it's a separate team. It would be a pretty big job for someone making games and supporting tech for all of Sony worldwide studios.

According to Shinobi they didn't. This engine and all assets were built from the ground up by Ready at Dawn alone. Unless I misunderstood his previous posts on the subject anyway.

I don't know what Shinobi said but I struggle to believe they weren't involved. They don't make engines or assets but they make the underlying tech that powers all game development on PS4 plus supporting other studios in implementation. It's pretty unlikely that they would not be involved in this, such a high profile release for Sony that's pushing technical boundaries.

Back from the spoiler thread.

How about you don't discuss it in here then? And helpfully, spoiler tags are removed when quoting, so you have to squint when you reply to idiots just to ask them not to do what should already be obvious.

I guess this thread is also considered 'unsafe' now. Fucks sake. In other news, sadly I have my first 'ignored user.' I don't like to do that, but it appears that guy can't help himself, and is itching to spoil.

potam

Banned
I think it's a separate team. It would be a pretty big job for someone making games and supporting tech for all of Sony worldwide studios.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my first post, I guess. To say ICE helped out isn't quite the same as saying ND helped.

I've spoiled two things for myself. One of which is something I was praying would be included in the game. I'm fucking hyped.

Won't be viewing any more spoilers, though. Lol.

There's always got to be one fucking twat that waltzes in and starts spoiling shit all over the place.

Thankfully, I didn't read his post, but I think it serves as a good incentive to maybe avoid all Order threads until the game comes out.

Kagutaba

It shouldn't take a scientist to understand the purpose of a spoiler thread

Protip: If you feel that you need to use spoiler tags in a post, post it there. Not here.

This whole thread is about discussing a spoiler filled gameplay video, there's even a spoiler warning in the OP. Apparently this thread is actually a general discussion about The Order thread.

Still, I can see that many people got spoiled that didn't want to. I didn't actually think it was a a big deal when I posted it, I was wrong. So I apologize and it won't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom