• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Dragon Quest XI gameplay videos, 3 PS4 and 3 3DS

The music is really poor quality. I have my reservations on the art direction of the PS4 version but that pales in comparison to the music. I also think the composition isn't that great either though. I'm super excited for the game but none of the music in DQXI so far has impressed me.

It's quite annoying because they used that same music for sailing in DQIX. It's super lazy. DQ games used to have unique sailing music.

it's really time they bury this old sugiyama, we don't need him anymore... find someone new, who can imitate his style but bring something fresh to it

it's really been a long time since a really liked a sugiyama full soundtrack.... there's some good track here and there but that's it

here's the last one i really appreciated :

Dragon Quest IX - Heaven's Prayer (The Observatory)

HMD

The sound design is so awful, in a lava pit all you can hear is a shitty midi track and annoying sound effects. And on top of all of that, no voice acting.

I honestly think that's the last great thing he composed. It's the pearl in IX's otherwise bland soundtrack and X's soundtrack is even worse.

on that we agree, even VIII wasn't that great IMO (like i said, some good track here and there, but not the majority)

LeonSPBR

For some reason I prefer the 3ds version over the PS4. The 2d mode looks great. I'm going to play through this twice.

PS4 version is like having a delicious steak cooked to perfection placed in front of you, and then someone just dumps ketchup on it.

zbarron

That looks fantastic visually. The only complaint I have is the animation. It seems way too basic for this level of graphical fidelity.

I really don't want to have to buy a PS4 just for this game so I hope the Switch version looks somewhat similar or they release it on PC. If not this is the kind of game that would make me get a system just for it.

19a2bf.gif

2f02c8.gif
it's so insane that they did this

hurry up and announce an english date already

I think you mean it sounds like Dragon Quest.
Which is awesome

Actually it just sounds bad. Midi quality is poor and it seems to recycle themes from previous titles. I'm totally OK for DQ sound design in general but since 9 it seems the quality is declining. Also I got spoiled by 7 and 8 3DS remakes : the orchestral soundtracks were just phenomenal (I played JP releases)

DPB

I'm really disappointed in the sound quality too, it sounds like it's being played by the software synthesizer built into Windows 98.that you had to use if you didn't have a decent sound card. It's so flat, even a little reverb would improve it. Dragon Quest VI on the Super Famicom sounded better than this, in 1995. I don't understand what they're trying to emulate here.

jett

D-Member
lol @ the music

jfc. If you're gonna have synth music at least make it not sound like pure ass. I've listened to better sounding sequenced music on the PS1.

WillyFive

Seeing two competing games with the same name by the same publisher reminds me of the days of Sonic Unleashed and The Force Unleashed. I loved it because you could see two different studios' approach to the same subject (and bet on which one is the better game).

Arkeband

Banned
2D version has no identity - it looks somehow worse than DQ6 but doesn't have a unified look like 3's remake or 5. It's closer to a sloppy smartphone port than an actual callback to 16 bit pixel art.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For some reason I prefer the 3ds version over the PS4. The 2d mode looks great. I'm going to play through this twice.

This is why, if the Switch were to get a port, I'd prefer a cleaned up 3DS version. Saying that, I have no nostalgia for the 2D mode so I'd be happy with just the 3D graphics.

There's something about the PS4 version I'm just not feeling.

Dark_castle

The protagonist's design is not bad to me, just very bland and uninteresting. I wished Aurora from DQH was the lead for XI instead. She has a great design imo.

DQH_Jun032015_A02.jpg

Ferr986

Welp, you weren't kidding, didn't listen it with sound at first but the music is horrible. Not only the synth quality is bad, the compositions are aimless and uninspired.

Btw, surprised about the good comments on the 3DS verison, IMO the 2D graphics looks really cheap and bad, almost RPGMaker quality (3D is okay).

jett

D-Member
2D version has no identity - it looks somehow worse than DQ6 but doesn't have a unified look like 3's remake or 5. It's closer to a sloppy smartphone port than an actual callback to 16 bit pixel art.

Yes, it looks like some throwaway low-effort shit. I'm not sure why they bothered.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, it looks like some throwaway low-effort shit. I'm not sure why they bothered.

Yeah, and as a result the 3D graphics now have to stick to a rigid grid system so we end up with towns where every house faces dead south.

specdot

The 3DS version looks hella charming, but I'd still go with the PS4 version. This game is double-dip certified though. Can't go wrong with either version.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Watching (and listening to) this... PS2 really is the drowned god in Japan isn't it? And I mean that in a good way.

zoukka

I'm a huge fan of the DQ aesthetics, but those lo-fi sound effects and music are pretty jarring next to the great graphics. That will rub many people the wrong way I think.

i-Jest

I am loving both versions of this game. Hopefully we hear a localization announcement at E3, but that might be a bit to soon.

Capra

I know part of DQ's thing is to ride the nostalgia train as hard as possible, but the sound effects and music on the PS4 version really are off-putting. Some of those tracks sound like a spider running across a Casio.

Aeana

Yeah, and as a result the 3D graphics now have to stick to a rigid grid system so we end up with towns where every house faces dead south.
That's only true for the part of the game where you see both 2D and 3D modes at the same time. If you look at the 2D mode video, the design of the city changes when they switch to 3D mode. Building entrances go from being on the south side of each building to varying.

dan2026

Maybe its just the videos, but there is some weird awful motion blur going off in the PS4 version.

And the music is a little odd.

ethomaz

Banned
What the hate about the music? I found them awesome in PS4 version... only the sound effects looks like midi.

The 3DS version has no charming for me :(

Arkeband

Banned
What is it with Dragon Quest and midi music?

Are they still using it just for nostalgia sake?

They're keeping the old composer because he's been doing the music since DQ1, but he's also an old dick who wants his music to sound like garbage on the game he's composing it for so there will be more reason to buy his album and see live performances.

WonderzL

Banned
awful music. woof.

I like the game, though. It looks like what a Dragon Quest game in HD would be, at least in my head.

Top Bottom