• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Dragon Quest XI gameplay videos, 3 PS4 and 3 3DS

If the Switch version is good enough (graphics and framerate) I may go with that version... if not, the PS4 that's it.

And the lack of Switch footage make sme think that I'll go with the PS4 one.
I'm actually hoping for the Switch edition to be an enhanced version of the 3DS game rather than a downgraded PS4 port.

Zaventem

19a2bf.gif

2f02c8.gif

The angle chosen for the 3D boat ride is really awful imo.

sphinx

the piano man
anybody knows why the youtube videos are getting a ton of dislikes??

(haven't been following DQ news a lot)

NeonZ

Battles look like crap in 2D mode, why even bother if the enemies are going to be static.

Yeah, that's the one part of 2d mode that just screams how it's all made on a cheap budget, since they can't even use "that's how it was back in the SNES!" as an excuse.

The angle chosen for the 3D boat ride is really awful imo.

What bothers me is that there's no interaction between the paddle and the water at all. It doesn't even clip into it or anything, it just looks like it's floating above it.

OmegaFax

The 3DS version looks neat because it looks like a cross between Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS and classic Dragon Quest games.

I don't mind that the characters do not animate in 2D mode. It's paying homage to early Dragon Quest titles in that respect.

The PS4 version reminds me of Dragon Quest Heroes and Heroes II except with a little bit more cell shading to the character models.

Snakeyes

Actually both Sugiyama and Toriyama seem to want to be out of the franchise, going by their comments. Sugiyama straight admitted he's out of ideas for new compositions for the series. And Toriyama said if he had known the series would go on for so long he'd never accepted doing the character designs.
Togashi or Oda should take over for Toriyama.

StereoVsn

I like the look of both 3DS 3D mode and PS4. They do need to work on the sound for PS4 as the midi just isn't working here. I may double dip if 3DS version actually comes over (kind of doubt it).

Lakuza

Still undecided on whether to get this, but would like to give it a chance considering the popularity of the series. Did the same with persona 5 and that worked out well for me.

But, I'm really not a fan of the sound for the game. The music feels a little underwhelming but the sound effects are really annoying for me and it's the biggest factor for me not to get the game. I say this as a newcomer though (only played DQ8 on ps2, never completed it) so theres no nostalgic value for the sound effects.

javadoze

Love the thicker cel-shading and vibrant colors of the 3DS version and how it seems like a step between DQIX and DQVIII in terms of graphics.

Then again, I adore the sheer scale of the PS4 version (especially in that village gameplay). The lack of more prominent cel-shading on the characters turns me off though.

Ray Down

Banned
Togashi or Oda should take over for Toriyama.

They get Oda, WAY bigger mangaka and closer to emulating Toriyama style.

Actually both Sugiyama and Toriyama seem to want to be out of the franchise, going by their comments. Sugiyama straight admitted he's out of ideas for new compositions for the series. And Toriyama said if he had known the series would go on for so long he'd never accepted doing the character designs.

I think he didn't truly mean it seriously, but he mentions before it's a lot of work and now he only does major charcters.

PS4 version is like having a delicious steak cooked to perfection placed in front of you, and then someone just dumps ketchup on it.

...I guess the 3DS version is like just getting a bowl of ketchup to eat then.

PS4 version looks great to me. Will be my first DQ game as long as nothing goes horribly wrong with it. The graphics are so damn nice.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PS4 version looks good...but that sound effect when the MC jumps is quite bad lol.

kunonabi

Ps4 version still looks ugly. I really hope we get the 3ds version in the states even though im pretty sure we wont.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I was excited by the first trailers, but these gameplay movies dampen my enthusiasm. The MIDI score with cheesy samples is a major factor. Makes the whole thing feel like a low budget JRPG..This is not hwo Dragon Quest should return to Playstation. It will certainly turn off western console gamers whose last DQ game was on the PS2 and expect a much higher production quality on the PS4.

SugarDave

I've never played a Dragon Quest game before. Which ones are worth playing and is there a system that has a better version of each of them? I own a 3DS which I believe has some of them, right?

Kandinsky

I actually think the 3D version of the 3DS game is the better looking one. The PS4 looks really weird, the animation is stiff af and because of that the characters look like dolls, and yeah the sound and the high definition graphics dont mesh together. The 3DS version on the other hand, being stylized/chibi hide these problems a lot better. Still, I want to play this on a big screen, so PS4 it is.

Espada

3ds looks too dated and ugly for me for a new game this day

I have to second this. Even if the PS4 version didn't exist, the 3DS' graphics are incredibly fucking rough these days. I really hope the Switch version is pared down version of the PS4 version.

In no universe is the 3DS version better looking than the PS4 version. The latter is straight up producing a more faithful rendering of the official artwork than the former.

Syril

I've never played a Dragon Quest game before. Which ones are worth playing and is there a system that has a better version of each of them? I own a 3DS which I believe has some of them, right?

My favorite one is Dragon Quest V, which has remakes on the PS2 (via a fan translation) or on DS or mobile versions.

you should definitely do Dragon Quest 5 (a DS game) and Dragon Quest 7 (3DS game)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Shame on you guys for calling for the replacement of Sugiyama by another composer. This man has been the *ONLY* composer of the DQ series since its inception and for good reason. His music is some of the absolute BEST classical orchestral type music ever made by ANYONE! He is my favorite game/anime composer of all time, topping even Yoko Kanno, Ko Otani and Michiru Yamane.

Replace him? What is wrong with you?

Shame on you guys for calling for the replacement of Sugiyama by another composer. This man has been the *ONLY* composer of the DQ series since its inception and for good reason. His music is some of the absolute BEST classical orchestral type music ever made by ANYONE! He is my favorite game/anime composer of all time, topping even Yoko Kanno, Ko Otani and Michiru Yamane.

he did some amazing works, no one denies that.... But when someone can't deliver anymore, you replace him, that's it!

udivision

That sounded kind of fake.

Like someone recorded the footage, replaced the sounds with the old ones, and wanted people to see his cool "DQ De-Make" mod coming out later this year on steam.

Kyuur

I've never played a DQ game before -- the music/SFX/UI choices in these videos are super charming. Adds a lot of identity to the game.

Probably will pick up either PS4 or Switch (assuming its ported from the PS4 version) when localized!

Aeana

He's old, he can't produce a 100% original soundtrack anymore, and his views about music in games are dragging down the game quality now.

Hazu

With the delay of the Switch version, I think it would be pretty cool if they released a bundle with the PS4 version and the 2D 3DS version. Probably won't hapen though.

Anyway, really excited to play this one on my PS4, still not sure about getting the 3DS one but we'll see.

Tohsaka

So is there really no voice acting, even in the PS4 version? I know DQ never tries to be super modern or anything, but it would feel like a bit of a step back after 8 (at least in the west and the 3DS version in Japan) and the Heroes games being voiced. At least that would be one less hurdle for the localization if they don't have to record a dub, I guess.

Aeana

If Saito will produce the next mainline title then maybe we get Okabe to compose.
Okabe is amazing but would be completely inappropriate for DQ. The tone and musical history of the series should still be considered for future entries.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...I guess it is a bit unusual that they're still around. Wonder what happens to DQ when say Horii is done with it.

99Luffy

Banned
I really hate how japanese rpgs all decided to have the camera as close to the character as possible and at ground level.

He's one of my favorites too, but it's hard to deny that he's been phoning it in for a while now.

Top Bottom