• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Dragon Quest XI gameplay videos, 3 PS4 and 3 3DS

That is certainly some Dragon Quest music! It's giving me the urge to replay Dragon Quest Builders.

Looking forward to playing this.

Yam's

PS4 looks nice but those sounds... What's the point of keeping old school sounds anyway? I've played all DQs throughout the years and those sounds sure don't bring any nostalgia in me when mixed with those graphics, they just seem outta place and bad.

Same goes for the menus. Having Toriyama and the same old bestiary is enough to market it as a DQ, they don't need to keep these ugly menus around.

Aeana

PS4 looks nice but those sounds... What's the point of keeping old school sounds anyway? I've played all DQs throughout the years and those sounds sure don't bring any nostalgia in me when mixed with those graphics, they just seem outta place and bad.

Same goes for the menus. Having Toriyama and the same old bestiary is enough to market it as a DQ, they don't need to keep these ugly menus around.
Aside from the 2D version, the menu style is pretty heavily upgraded from the classic style.

I personally love hearing the stairstep sound and casting sound in every game. It's one of the many reasons why playing a DQ game feels like coming home. I was sad to hear them removed in the NA version of DQ8, but it sounds like they made the right decision since apparently hearing an 8-bit sound effect causes some people to have an aneurysm.

Yam's

I personally love hearing the stairstep sound and casting sound in every game. It's one of the many reasons why playing a DQ game feels like coming home. I was sad to hear them removed in the NA version of DQ8, but it sounds like they made the right decision since apparently hearing an 8-bit sound effect causes some people to have an aneurysm.

Would more modern sound effects really stop you from enjoying the game though? Why is it ok for graphics to evolve, yet sounds cannot?

Persona is a good example of good evolution for me. You still find yourself at home (having the same bestiary, spells, velvet room, etc.), yet it didn't stop them from upgrading everything else and the game surely benefited from it. I'm not expecting the same kind of work for a DQ, but they surely could go further in their rework. I mean, it's like Mario had the same old jump sound from the NES era. It would just be weird.

sn00zer

Hmmm 3DS has the best aesthetics by far. PS4 version seems weirdly sterile at this point. The scene looking over the village showed nothing going on. It actually looked abandoned.

That's only true for the part of the game where you see both 2D and 3D modes at the same time. If you look at the 2D mode video, the design of the city changes when they switch to 3D mode. Building entrances go from being on the south side of each building to varying.

Yup. The game has you stick to one or the other after a certain point early on, though you can still switch styles at will by going to the church. Amazing amount of effort they put into that whole system.

Lots of ppl complaining about the visuals on the 3DS version, but I actually find them really charming in a low-fi kind of way.

Berordn

Hmmm 3DS has the best aesthetics by far. PS4 version seems weirdly sterile at this point. The scene looking over the village showed nothing going on. It actually looked abandoned.

I was actually thinking the same. Maybe it's just with how compact everything ends up being on 3DS, but everything seems a lot busier there.

The ps4 version looks like my dream DQ game. I don't mind the music quality but the actual compositions are pretty all over/aimless yeah, I'm not digging the battle music so far. Anyway my only worry is that the game could be a short one, like DQ4 (25 hours-ish). The only reason I have this fear is because of how goddamn fast they made this game (just under two years).

Aeana

Would more modern sound effects really stop you from enjoying the game though? Why is it ok for graphics to evolve, yet sounds cannot?

Persona is a good example of good evolution for me. You still find yourself at home (having the same bestiary, spells, velvet room, etc.), yet it didn't stop them from upgrading everything else and the game surely benefited from it. I'm not expecting the same kind of work for a DQ, but they surely could go further in their rework. I mean, it's like Mario had the same old jump sound from the NES era. It would just be weird.

Persona is a much younger series (
and even younger than it actually is for some people who think the series started at 3
), and it grew up differently. And honestly, I don't think this really applies to Persona nearly as much as it does to Megaten as a whole. Persona 3 and 4's enemies are shadows that don't even appear in any other games.

But regardless, DQ has grown up a certain way. That's what makes it unique and special for a lot of people. Understandably, that also puts some people off. But there's no point in making a dramatic change now when the creators are all old and it'll piss off the existing fanbase in exchange for some unknown potential number of new fans.

extralite

Yup. The game has you stick to one or the other after a certain point early on, though you can still switch styles at will by going to the church. Amazing amount of effort they put into that whole system.

Lots of ppl complaining about the visuals on the 3DS version, but I actually find them really charming in a low-fi kind of way.

I agree. I think both versions look pretty great in their own way.

That's only true for the part of the game where you see both 2D and 3D modes at the same time. If you look at the 2D mode video, the design of the city changes when they switch to 3D mode. Building entrances go from being on the south side of each building to varying.

The fact that they divided 3D and 2D into separate modes makes the 3DS version less interesting though. I liked the constant comparison between the two styles. Without it, the 3D part is still charming but it having neither stereo 3D nor 3D/2D side by side means I would now choose the PS4 version over the 3DS one. The PS4 version might mix contradictory styles but I don't mind that much and at least it can be played on TV.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The 3DS version looks incredible to me. The way it's pushing the hardware with open spaces is just extremely impressive to me considering how few compromises are being made to the level of detail. The castle city in the first video is particularly complex/dense in a way that you really don't see on the 3DS. The color pallete is still kind of blown out but it's not as bad as it was in the 3DS version of DQ8.
This would look so amazing in stereo 3d. Too bad DQ stopped supporting stereo 3d after VII.
It would also probably not look anywhere near as nice because of the technical strain supporting the 3D feature has.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

My bad. I stand corrected.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Both look and play nicely
Happy that the localisation delay will probably allow me to understand how the switch version will be before getting 3ds/ps4 one because in this moment I wouldn't know which one I would prefer
So I hope switch version will include both in docked or handheld mode lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How much fps does the 3DS version currently? I wouldn't mind getting a lower fps with stereo 3D on.
Looks like 30 but it's hard to really know how stable it will be until we see the final version. I was under the impression that low FPS was usually pretty disruptive to stereo 3D. I think they also want to focus on the swap back and forth between the 2D visual style and the fully rendered 3D world, rather than swapping between stereo 3D being on and off.

Yam's

But there's no point in making a dramatic change now when the creators are all old and it'll piss off the existing fanbase in exchange for some unknown potential number of new fans.

Would different sounds really piss of so many old fans though? I genuinely wonder about that. They were able to accept modern graphics and seeing their heroes in combat, would sound really ruin their game?

13ruce

Banned
Don't get me wrong i love Dragon Quest music but i expected the ps4 version to atleast use the modern video game quality of music.

Sound quality updates or orchestrated music greatly benefited old school series like Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Final Fantasy and more.

So i dunno how it won't be great for Dragon Quest too.

PS i will ofcourse still get the game:>

extralite

Looks like 30 but it's hard to really know how stable it will be until we see the final version. I was under the impression that low FPS was usually pretty disruptive to stereo 3D. I think they also want to focus on the swap back and forth between the 2D visual style and the fully rendered 3D world, rather than swapping between stereo 3D being on and off.
VR requires high frame rates to keep camera input lag low, or you would get motion sick (game logic may update at 30 fps or even lower). Low frame rate in regular stereo 3D is just rough, as it is in 2D as well, but there's no particular requirement for a high frame rate in stereo 3D. I guess DQXI could do 20 fps stereo if it is stable 30 fps without. Half the resolution, double the required frames. Wouldn't be great but I'd appreciate the option.

Aeana

Don't get me wrong i love Dragon Quest music but i expected the ps4 version to atleast use the modern video game quality of music.

Sound quality updates or orchestrated music greatly benefited old school series like Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Final Fantasy and more.

So i dunno how it won't be great for Dragon Quest too.

PS i will ofcourse still get the game:>

It is great, and Sugiyama knows it. He has said publicly that he wants to save the orchestra for CDs and concerts, because he knows people want it. He's kind of an asshole.

Zakkath

Man, this sounds like the perfect podcast game. I wouldn't be able to ekeep listening to° that music very long. Also, I could deal with the simple but somewhat charming environments look, but I'm not a fan of the characters' cel shaded look. It's like they don't belong to the same game. The first impression is that this game looks like a PS2 game. Kinda disappoiting.

Buggy Loop

Oooof that midi soundtrack. It's been a long time since i've heard something like that. I guess i'd get used to it after a while, DQVIII afterall was ok if i remember. Just sad that it could have been so much more with an orchestral version. Does Enix get the short end of the stick for budgets @ SE ?

Oooof that midi soundtrack. It's been a long time since i've heard something like that. I guess i'd get used to it after a while, DQVIII afterall was ok if i remember. Just sad that it could have been so much more with an orchestral version. Does Enix get the short end of the stick for budgets @ SE ?

Nah I'd bet it's Sugiyama being a dick. Also from what I understand his music is licensed by SEnix, he's not paying paid as an employee to do music as a propriety of SE. He's probably holding SE by the balls for his CDs and concerts.

Jencks

Banned
PS4 version looks great but man the music is really throwing me off. Would be nice if we saw an orchestrated soundtrack here in the west ala DQVIII, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sugiyama is the one guy from the trio that I certainly wouldn't mind getting kicked out and replaced.

He's been nothing but detrimental for the past few years.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Square should do a discount for both versions bundle... I know I'm getting both.

extralite

Sugiyama is the one guy from the trio that I certainly wouldn't mind getting kicked out and replaced.

He's been nothing but detrimental for the past few years.

Actually both Sugiyama and Toriyama seem to want to be out of the franchise, going by their comments. Sugiyama straight admitted he's out of ideas for new compositions for the series. And Toriyama said if he had known the series would go on for so long he'd never accepted doing the character designs.

Aeana

Square should do a discount for both versions bundle... I know I'm getting both.

They're doing a double pack

Kqnmz6b.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't work out to be a discount. It's exactly the same price as the two together, but you get the extra packaging stuff.

Cloud7

This is as old school as it gets with the sound, animation, and battle system. It just looks really charming but it won't appeal to potential new fans. With that being said, I'm still in

Mbrill82

I really want this to be good, and the trailers do look nice. I'm only interested in the PS4 version so I didn't watch and can't comment on the 3DS videos.

None of the DQ games since part 8 have really appealed to me so I hope this one changes that. I will ALWAYS love old-school turn-based jrpgs, ever since I can remember I've kept a jrpg in my "currently playing" game rotation (always just one at a time though, I only have room for one horribly confusing and convoluted story in my memory at a time)

13ruce

Banned
It is great, and Sugiyama knows it. He has said publicly that he wants to save the orchestra for CDs and concerts, because he knows people want it. He's kind of an asshole.

Nah I'd bet it's Sugiyama being a dick. Also from what I understand his music is licensed by SEnix, he's not paying paid as an employee to do music as a propriety of SE. He's probably holding SE by the balls for his CDs and concerts.

Ah that's a pretty sad situation indeed.
I hope that wil get fixed in the future if not hire a new passionate composer.

A new composer does not have to mean angry fans if the new composer is passionate/good enough to learn a little about the series and it's roots i am sure he or she can create master pieces.

Other games have succesfully changed or used other skilled composers in the past, the most recent example would be BotW with the Animal Crossing composer. The soundtrack in that game was still stellar imo.

I think I'll buy the game on 3DS in its Japanese version, then the game on PS4 once it releases in the West.

Can't wait for July 29th.

Aters

Give me one piece of iconic sound effect in Persona. DQ has a ton. DQ uses old sound because it can. It has a huge legacy that most franchise can only dream of.

I do prefer the music orchestrated though.

Gah! I don't know which version to get. I'm so comfortable playing JRPGs only on portables now, it feels hard to go back to the big screen, but the PS4 version is such eye candy. Choices, choices.

HeeHo

I think both versions look nice. I'm playing the PS4 version first though. It looks damn good to me. Especially the fight with the fire dragon.

Sound effects don't bother me at all and is not something I even noticed until it got brought up here. They probably just do it for nostalgic reasons considering how hardcore the Japan fanbase seems.

Seeing the PS4 footage and realizing we're getting a main entry, HD ,console Dragon Quest is giving me goosebumps. Considering how mind-blowing DQVIII was on PS2, I'm expecting big things for this one. If all goes well, I think this'll be the best jRPG on PS4. Can't believe in this day and age we're still getting traditional jRPGs like this with overworld maps and turn-based battles. I'm stoked.

Dang. It's really going to be hard to chose between Dragon Quest XI on the PS4, hopefully taking advantage of the Pro for 4K and HDR, and a potential portable experience on the Switch.

That's it.

Enough is enough. I am banding together government representatives to stop this shit. People coming into a town and destroying property plus entering homes to steal shit has to stop

DQVII on the 3DS and DQ Builders reminded me of how much I love the DQ aesthetic, since the last one I had played was VIII on the PS2. Can't wait for this now.

Actually both Sugiyama and Toriyama seem to want to be out of the franchise, going by their comments. Sugiyama straight admitted he's out of ideas for new compositions for the series. And Toriyama said if he had known the series would go on for so long he'd never accepted doing the character designs.

SHIN DRAGON QUEST

SCENARIO WRITER
Yuji Horii

CHARACTER DESIGN
Toyotaro

MUSIC BY
Hayato Matsuo

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'll admit it feels a bit weird to me that a 2006 console entry has orchestral music and its 2017 successor does not.

Top Bottom