• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Dragon Quest XI gameplay videos, 3 PS4 and 3 3DS

_Ryo_

PS4 version looks amazing
3DS both modes look pretty good. I am not a fan of the 2D battle system though.

Classic sounds are charming. :)

Also...

This is blashemy (dony kill me pls) but I kinda want a DQ game with a futuristic setting. Tons of sky scrapers, vehicles, bright lights, heavy use of technology. Its more medieval currently.

Keep everything else the same. Have the same economy style as DQ8. Turn based. Chiptune/Electro themed music.

Fraxin

Okabe is amazing but would be completely inappropriate for DQ. The tone and musical history of the series should still be considered for future entries.

Only composer inside Square that might be able to do that would probably be Soken, however he seems busy with FFXIV.

From outside Square, maybe Uematsu. Kohei Tanaka is also a good choice.

GrayFoxPL

sELF4hP.gif

Vandal! A maniac!

randomkid

The new DQ composer should show signs of classical training and have the ability to be a good Sugiyama impersonator. That's why it should be Hamauzu. Most other choices would be a really bad fit.

bomblord1

Banned
Honestly technical aspects aside I think I like the art style of the 3D 3DS version best.

I would be kind of happy if the Switch version ends up looking like just at 1080p with some of the lower polygon models and lower resolution textures smoothed out a bit. The obvious downside to that would be people claiming the Switch couldn't handle the PS4 version and ensuing arguments and anger.

Fraxin

Assuming they stick with tradition, the composer would need to be classically trained, which rules out Uematsu.

That's unfortunate.
This I can actually imagine. He has a different flair compared to Sugiyama but could definitely nail the DQ spirit if he tried.

It'd probably never happen though.

Yeah, I don't see them getting Tanaka. Maybe they will let Sugiyama chose his successor.

Aeana

The new DQ composer should show signs of classical training and have the ability to be a good Sugiyama impersonator. That's why it should be Hamauzu. Most other choices would be a really bad fit.

It's been suggested already, but I think Hayato Matsuo is my preferred choice. He actually studied under Sugiyama, and produced the arrangements for Dai's Great Adventure.

MoonFrog

She doesn't want to trigger him. Better keep quiet around those kind of dudes.

Nah she just wants that seed of agility. If he doesn't give to her she's going to raise hell.

But to your point: yeah, ran into a couple like that in my dorm common room years ago. Guy throwing furniture, girl just watching peacefully.

Much like others here, really let down by the shit quality music. The visuals are pretty modern then the low quality music and effects are awful. They might be nostalgic but I've played a lot of DQ games and at this point it's just the same stuff I've heard before. I was at least expecting an orchestral more updated version of the music...

Only composer inside Square that might be able to do that would probably be Soken, however he seems busy with FFXIV.

From outside Square, maybe Uematsu. Kohei Tanaka is also a good choice.
Fuck, toss in Mitsuda, keep the general "look" of how DQXI for the PS4 is and give us a not-Chrono Trigger. Just needs a good writer, cause at this point, I don't trust bringing Kato in on this given his track record as of late.

Biske

I look forward to Square-Enix finding a way to really disappoint non japanese fans.

Maybe a miracle happens and both versions come out in other languages no problems.

But I foresee some fan begging will be needed.

Lightning

Banned
I look forward to Square-Enix finding a way to really disappoint non japanese fans.

Maybe a miracle happens and both versions come out in other languages no problems.

But I foresee some fan begging will be needed.
I'm not worried about ps4 version going worldwide, I'm worried about them taking too damn long to do it that the game loses interest to anyone but diehard fans and as a result disappoints in sales.

It's been suggested already, but I think Hayato Matsuo is my preferred choice. He actually studied under Sugiyama, and produced the arrangements for Dai's Great Adventure.

He also arranged the music for the Dragon Quest IV-V-VI DS remakes.

And this is completely off-topic but he did an amazing orchestral arrangement of Radical Dreamers for Eminence's "A Night in Fantasia" 2009 edition (sadly geo-blocked on YouTube so not many people are familiar with this version).

Biske

I'm not worried about ps4 version going worldwide, I'm worried about them taking too damn long to do it that the game loses interest to anyone but diehard fans and as a result disappoints in sales.

Oh that cycle I have no doubts will continue. I'll never underestimate their ability to bungle something with their "eeeeh do we really know the fans REALLY want it? You gotta prove it. Oooooh fine I guess we will bring it over..."

If we get PS4, 3DS and a Switch version without a hassle. I will be shocked. But I guess this go around Sony is going to really push to make it happen, and Nintendo would be just as invested in the Switch. I really worry about the 3DS version. If one of them is going to get dropped by the wayside it will be that one, but its the coolest one.

animations aside, the PS4 version is gorgeous.

Agreed, I love how it looks (would be nice if they could indeed polish up at some of the more prominent animations). It should look stunning in person.

Hope the sound is better in person than in these clips.

The protagonist's design is not bad to me, just very bland and uninteresting. I wished Aurora from DQH was the lead for XI instead. She has a great design imo.

DQH_Jun032015_A02.jpg

Yeah.

But at least Martina has a great design.

So is there really no voice acting, even in the PS4 version? I know DQ never tries to be super modern or anything, but it would feel like a bit of a step back after 8 (at least in the west and the 3DS version in Japan) and the Heroes games being voiced. At least that would be one less hurdle for the localization if they don't have to record a dub, I guess.

Agreed, with DQ8 having voice acting the thought didn't even occur to me. It's quite disappointing if that's indeed the case.

gblues

Banned
Well.. those are certainly some notes.

DQIX's soundtrack was disappointing, and this is (so far) even more so.

I'd almost prefer they went the route of the DQ spin-offs and just cherry-picked tracks from the previous games wholesale rather than squeeze more blood out of the shriveled old turnip that is Sugiyama.

Time to retire/keel over dead and hand over the series to someone else.

extralite

Dragon Quest has never had a female protagonist however (I bet this is a conscious decision from Horii).

In addition to III and IV, X is another example where you can choose female gender for the protagonist.

The hero job usually reserved for the player character is even mandatory female in X.

Big Nikus

Yeah the sound quality on the PS4 version is a huge bummer. Yeesh...
And those animations :|

The game looks gorgeous so it's a shame.

Jeffrey

any details on the battle system?

are 3ds and ps4 separate games in terms of level design/gameplay?

3ds footage seems more classic 3d DQ, while ps4 looks like there is some movement options?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 version looks nice but I need portable....

Hopefully Switch is released day and date in NA

Shame on you guys for calling for the replacement of Sugiyama by another composer. This man has been the *ONLY* composer of the DQ series since its inception and for good reason. His music is some of the absolute BEST classical orchestral type music ever made by ANYONE! He is my favorite game/anime composer of all time, topping even Yoko Kanno, Ko Otani and Michiru Yamane.

Replace him? What is wrong with you?

Guy's like 86 years old. It probably won't be long until he dies and we can finally move on from this kind of archaic status-quo preserving opinions.

At this stage in the game, they might want to revisit picking up and throwing down every destructible object and consider just letting you slash and break multiples at a time. 'Cause this looks goofy as fuck.

The juxtaposition of a new, more sophisticated renderer against the inability of their gameplay systems to modernize--it's the Uncanny Valley of game development.
Party members who disappear and reappear when you use a ladder, or jump up some environment, those really terrible contact-event generated sounds on the pumpkins, etc.

Also when I started playing that DQIX track my daughter came yelling in from the other room "the Observatory!" I'm either a great parent or have made my children into hopeless nerds.

Bitanator

At this stage in the game, they might want to revisit picking up and throwing down every destructible object and consider just letting you slash and break multiples at a time. 'Cause this looks goofy as fuck.

Something oddly soothing picking them up individually and dropping them. Though breaking multiple ones at once might cure my horrible OCD of having to pick up and breaking everything in every area

Thoraxes

Usually I can see past stuff like the music, but the modern visual presentation of DQXI's PS4 version really deserves better, and the synergy between those two elements really does feel awful.

That being said, the gameplay I love seems to still be intact, so I still look forward to it.

It looks fun to me but I wish the environments looked more cartoony to match the characters. It looks odd seeing those characters moving about in pseudo realistic environments.

PrimeBeef

PS4 version looks amazing
3DS both modes look pretty good. I am not a fan of the 2D battle system though.

Classic sounds are charming. :)

Also...

This is blashemy (dony kill me pls) but I kinda want a DQ game with a futuristic setting. Tons of sky scrapers, vehicles, bright lights, heavy use of technology. Its more medieval currently.

Keep everything else the same. Have the same economy style as DQ8. Turn based. Chiptune/Electro themed music.

So a new Phantasy Star game. :p I agree. I want that too.

StereoVsn

You know what's a bad fit? Having a midi soundtrack in a PS4 game. That's going to get them hammered in Western reviews. That is if SE gives any thought to Westwrn localization at all.

Now days waiting a year for localization is dumb and only going to lose you sales unless you somehow continue hyping the game ala P5 and even then I would argue they lost some sales/marketing opportunities by not localizing and releasing at same time.

PS4 version is awful when combined with that garbage soundtrack

It's a shame they didn't put some effort into the sprites with the 2D version and decided to settle with cheap-looking visuals

3D version on the 3DS looks neat, so i'll probably go with that

Top Bottom