• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70 years ago today: The USA dropped the first nuclear bomb on Hiroshima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Well you don't have to wonder. They estimated anywhere from 100k to 250k. But they had estimates showing a full scale invasion of Japan causing millions in civilian and military casualties. It was really a rock and a hard place. They had decided less death would come from this route.

You don't get my point. What if murdering the population of 2 major cities wouldn't have sufficed to make them surrender? How far would the omnicide went?

Skyzard

Banned
It would have been relied to the generals who had no intention of surrendering. This was to send a message to the people of Japan. You can't hide 2 cities completely disappearing within a matter of days.

The people don't decide whether or not a war is still on or not though. Not that this would have done that either.

Could have fired a warning shot at the minimum if it had to be used.

Wereroku

You don't get my point. What if murdering the population of 2 major cities wouldn't have sufficed to make them surrender? How far would the omnicide went?

Well it would have continued to the point that we had control of Japan. Do you not understand how war works? If we just left Japan alone they would have continued attacking us and every other nation in the pacific. Our goal was to end the war that was declared on us.

Savitar

If you look up the mass suicides on the places before Japan you get more reason they were worried about a drawn out battle. The Japanese literally believed they would be butchered and raped horribly by the Americans if not worse. There is a lot of footage out there that shows people just......dropping off cliffs. Mothers with kids. Below in the water bodies just floating. The American soldiers were doing everything they could to stop that by having some Japanese who did surrender tell others they were being treated humanely. Didn't stop some from killing themselves.

I can't begin to imagine what that's like. They were extremely fearful if this was happening in the islands what would mainland Japan do.

pa22word

The US had plans to drop another nuke on the 19th, and had more in production at the time to ensure continued bombing to resume in October and November.

The US would have burned Japan to the ground if they had to, and before you crucify US leadership for such policy, know that they had to have Japan's leadership know we would be willing to go as far as possible to break Japan in order to secure the surrender that happened in the first place.

zeemumu

Pretty sure 80% or more of Americans you ask on the street would have no idea what happened in Hiroshima or Nagasaki and probably around the same in major parts of the world. Which is kind of sad and scary.

Doesn't Japan have a massive problem with discussing what happened during the war?

Oersted

Well it would have continued to the point that we had control of Japan. Do you not understand how war works? If we just left Japan alone they would have continued attacking us and every other nation in the pacific. Our goal was to end the war that was declared on us.

The US had plans to drop another nuke on the 19th, and had more in production at the time to ensure continued bombing to resume in October and November.

The US would have burned Japan to the ground if they had to, and before you crucify US leadership for such policy, know that they had to have Japan's leadership know we would be willing to go as far as possible to break Japan in order to secure the surrender that happened in the first place.

Such posts remind me that it will happen again. Despicable. Sigh.

reckless

Want to give us an alternative because there are pretty much just 2 other choices.

Wait them out and conventionally bomb / blockade Japan until they starve? More people would have died.

Invade conventionally? A lot more people would have died.

Fuchsdh

People who say that the nuclear bombs had nothing to do with Japanese surrender need to realize that they are essentially making an argument on par with "the Civil War wasn't about slavery". The atomic bombs are directly mentioned and discussed in Hirohito's broadcast as threatening the total destruction of the Japanese people. Right before the bombs, even with Soviet entry into the war, they weren't willing to agree to unconditional surrender or any peace that removed the Emperor.

I dunno how the nukes are any different from the indiscriminate bombings of civilians both sides did during the war—congrats, you just managed to make it even more efficient and horrible. Why is one a war crime and the other acceptable? How are you going to respond if one side is using such tactics against you, war crime or not?

While I think you can make a confident claim as to the role nukes had in ending the war, I think the questions of deterrence and how much of an impact they've had in preventing similar large-scale combat is still a very open-ended question. Remember that prior to World War I, Europe hadn't seen a full-scale continental war since the time of Napoleon, 100 years prior. It's entirely possible the peace that was created might be seen as illusory and short-lived by future generations that follow us. Maybe not, though—there's always hope.

pa22word

Hopefully not, but the only other outcome with Japan at that time was a conditional surrender that would have brought on yet another war with Japan once they rebuilt again....only that time they might be the one's flinging nukes at people.

Unconditional surrender was the only path to a secure peace. Otherwise we just have the situation that played out at the end of WW1 that led to WW2 play out again.

entremet

I don't think it was justified, but war is never neat and tidy and I'm not gonna Monday Morning Quarterback.

I just hope it never happens again anywhere. RIP to those who lost their lives.

Truly horrific time for human history.

Did Feynman ever regret working on the bomb?

Also remember nowadays we all know what nukes are and what they can do and most people also know what things like biological warfare can do, hence the fear of ebola, anthrax, etc.

I can't imagine people in the 1940s understanding the idea of a bomb that can kill 100,000 people in an instant. That had to just seem unreal and not a possible thing.

Feep

Banned
Surprised at the absolute condemnation of the bombs dropping in this thread. It's almost completely undeniable that dropping the atomic bombs ended saving a net amount of lives, even among civilians.

DarkFlow

Banned
Also remember nowadays we all know what nukes are and what they can do and most people also know what things like biological warfare can do, hence the fear of ebola, anthrax, etc.

I can't imagine people in the 1940s understanding the idea of a bomb that can kill 100,000 people in an instant. That had to just seem unreal and not a possible thing.

Well Japan was well versed in biowarfare.

KHarvey16

It likely would have continued until they surrendered. We were making the bombs as fast as we could and the third wouldn't be ready until the 19th. The president ordered that no more bombs could be dropped without his express approval, so it's hard to say the third was automatic. The uncertainty isn't really would it have been dropped if they didn't surrender, but would they continue to deliberate and eventually come to their senses and give up before the 19th.

The US was really not interested in invading the mainland because they knew what was waiting for them, so they would have relied on the bombs as much as possible. The casualties from an invasion, on both sides, would have made the bombings look almost insignificant.

entremet

Surprised at the absolute condemnation of the bombs dropping in this thread. It's almost completely undeniable that dropping the atomic bombs ended saving a net amount of lives, even among civilians.

I accept their use in this instance, I just think it's a moral dilemma for many.

Heroman

Banned
I still don't believe that it took the wiping of 200k ppl in order to get them to surrender and force the crazy loyal to not back down.

Because the precedent is kind of crazy - with that reasoning, why don't we do the same for ISIS or North Korea?

I think many, many people - if they could go back in time again - would not have dropped the bomb. Power was not an issue - the US also had the ability to firebomb as well which could have crippled the cities easily as well

Yes they would, it was the bomb or invasion. You got to remember that they were in the greatest war of all time, they would have taken any chance to end the war.

HTupolev

Tsar bomba wasn't deliverable by ICBM like the US' biggest warhead at 35 MT. We had a warhead atop a missile with a 35 MT yield. Horrific.
You're thinking of the old claim that a Titan II rocket could eventually carry a 35MT warhead, based on a 1963 guess of how bomb efficiencies would improve over time.

The largest single warhead ever known to be produced by the US is the B41, a bomber-delivered device at 25MT. The largest warhead ever actually carried on the Titan II was a W-53, which had a yield of "only" 9MT.

The highest amount of destructive power ever known to have been shoved onto a missile was shoved onto the largest ICBM ever made, the Soviet R-36, which received the chilling NATO reporting name "Satan." They carried up to about 20MT onboard.
Perhaps far more terrifying is the MIRV potential of the R-36. They carry up to ten warheads, a number limited partly due to nuclear agreements at the time. Proposals had been in place to equip the missile with more than thirty "small" 250kT warheads.

DarkFlow

Banned
You're thinking of the old claim that a Titan II rocket could eventually carry a 35MT warhead, based on a 1963 guess of how bomb efficiencies would improve over time.

The largest single warhead ever known to be produced by the US is the B41, a bomber-delivered device at 25MT. The largest warhead ever actually carried on the Titan II was a W-53, which had a yield of "only" 9MT.

The highest amount of destructive power ever known to have been shoved onto a missile was shoved onto the largest ICBM ever made, the Soviet R-36, which received the chilling NATO reporting name "Satan." They carried up to about 20MT onboard.
Perhaps far more terrifying is the MIRV potential of the R-36. They carry up to ten warheads, a number limited partly due to nuclear agreements at the time. Proposals had been in place to equip the missile with more than thirty "small" 250kT warheads.

Yeah, MIRV's are far for deadly than the single warhead types.

zeemumu

I still don't believe that it took the wiping of 200k ppl in order to get them to surrender and force the crazy loyal to not back down.

Because the precedent is kind of crazy - with that reasoning, why don't we do the same for ISIS or North Korea?

I think many, many people - if they could go back in time again - would not have dropped the bomb. Power was not an issue - the US also had the ability to firebomb as well which could have crippled the cities easily as well

Nuking ISIS out of existence would be the equivalent of playing Battleship with the planet.

And it was more of an ultimatum. The alternative to the bombs wasn't much better.

Log4Girlz

Woops, you're right, I thought the B41 got to 35 MT and placed on a missile. All pretty scary stuff though.

Draxal

They dropped leaflets before the bombing, telling civilians what we had and what it was capable of. They were told to evacuate.

It STILL TOOK doing it twice to force the emperor to step in and take over to declare the surrender. They still tried to kill him for it. You so badly want to believe this was unnecessary that you're ignoring the realities of the situation.

The emperor who also would have continued the war as well if he was to be removed from power, and there's reason to suspect that he was complicit in the all the war crimes in China.

jerry113

Banned
I'm pretty sure a greater # of Japanese civilians were killed in the Tokyo fire bombing raids than were killed by the dropping of the A-bombs.

Still tragic, though.

All I'm saying is that nations were targeting civilian populations left and right throughout the war. We were bombing the hell out of both Tokyo and Berlin, for example. It's not like the civilians lost in Nagasaki and Hiroshima were some special anomaly.

MC Safety

People don't realize a quick and decisive end to the war was best for the United States and Japan. It paved the way for a lasting alliance between the two countries.

Forget about casualties and civilian starvation in Japan. An invasion would have meant an extended occupation and, possibly, lingering hostilities. There's a reason why we're still having issues with Korea, and it's because there was no decisive conclusion either way.

antonz

Woops, you're right, I thought the B41 got to 35 MT and placed on a missile. All pretty scary stuff though.

Yeah these days is all about smaller tactical weapons rather than larger strategic. I mean we still have thousands of Strategic ones but most new weapons are designed to be smaller but super accurate so you don't need multiple megatons and can reduce overall damage

mantidor

It really is not, it's not a hard, black an white issue, "Japan would never had surrender" is nowhere written in stone, we can discuss forever the "what if" scenarios of mainland invasion or Japan's actual, real stubbornness, but it boils down to conjectures, we all have heard the other side that it wasn't about ending the war as much as it was to show military power to the soviets, because Japan was about to surrender anyway.

Since you are american of course you justify it as most americans do, you were taught this at school.

KHarvey16

It really is not, it's not a hard, black an white issue, "Japan would never had surrender" is nowhere written in stone, we can discuss forever the "what if" scenarios of mainland invasion or Japan's actual, real stubbornness, but it boils down to conjectures, we all have heard the other side that it wasn't about ending the war as much as it was to show military power to the soviets, because Japan was about to surrender anyway.

Since you are american of course you justify it as most americans do, you were taught this at school.

We have the communications between the Japanese leaders. The conjecture is from people wishing something else were true when it just isn't. It's clear to anyone attempting an objective understanding of the period that more lives would have been lost had the war been allowed to continue.

pa22word

It really is not, it's not a hard, black an white issue, "Japan would never had surrender" is nowhere written in stone

Check my post at the end of page 1 for how laughably incorrect this statement is.

No justification. It was an atrocity, a war crime if you will. Those who gave the order should have been arrested and imprisoned. Japan was surrendering, it wasn't if, they were but, we wanted to impress the Soviets. Horrific.

On August 7, a day after Hiroshima was destroyed, Dr. Yoshio Nishina and other atomic physicists arrived at the city, and carefully examined the damage. They then went back to Tokyo and told the cabinet that Hiroshima was indeed destroyed by an atomic bomb. Admiral Soemu Toyoda, the Chief of the Naval General Staff, estimated that no more than one or two additional bombs could be readied, so they decided to endure the remaining attacks, acknowledging "there would be more destruction but the war would go on."[164] American Magic codebreakers intercepted the cabinet's messages.[165]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki#Events_of_August_7.E2.80.939

Your statement doesn't make any sense. The firebombing killed just as many people as the nukes. Also the potential of the Nukes had nothing to do with their surrender. I mean hell they didn't surrender after we used the first one and we gave them time to.

The firebombing of tokyo and regular bombing of many german cities caused more death so there really wasn't much of a change except for the ecological effects. Modern atomic weapons are a much different discussion.

Sure the death toll might have been less, but it was meant to scare the Japanese government.

Fire bombing with many planes gave the look that the Americans were risking a lot of planes and men to bomb Japan.

Enola Gay was risking one plane, one crew, using virtually no fuel compared to the fleet of bombers it took to firebomb.

A new non-conventional weapon that could decimate with one small target versus the conventional way.

Let's not use ranking of weapons as our argument here folks. There is history, there were decisions made, the victors write the rules and the history. Sure some people don't like it, and some may even go to revisionist habits so their agendas (in their opinion) can help them feel ok about their new saber rattling. It does not matter, it won't (hopefully) happen again.

It sucks it happened, if a Japanese person who was affected would like me to listen, ok I'll listen, I'll even tell them I am sorry it affected them, I'll mean it they'll see my empathy. I would leave it at that, there is nothing else I can say to comfort, hopefully they take it from me that I do care.

It was a war, like something we will most likely never see again, if we want to survive it as a species.

Feep

Banned

Almost all historians agree that Japan would have suffered orders of magnitude greater losses had the bombs not dropped. You can make shit up all you want, or attack my viewpoint because "I was taught this at school", or you could look at reality.

If you have any evidence whatsoever showing that they were "about to surrender anyway", feel free to post it.

Edit: Also see pa22word's post.

Heroman

Banned

Then show us proof that they were going to surrender.

Skyzard

Banned
They can't, all they have are feels.

Firebombing of Tokyo and the lack of a warning nuke show it wasn't about saving civilian lives in some sort of tally as hard as some try to make it seem whenever it's brought up, disrespecting those that were affected.

KHarvey16

Firebombing of Tokyo and the lack of a warning nuke show it wasn't about saving civilian lives as hard as some try to make it seem whenever it's brought up, disrespecting those that were affected.

Wasting a bomb like that and continuing to firebomb would prolong the war and more people would have died. You still have not offered one argument as to how two bombs destroying cities barely leads to surrender but one bomb dropped away from everyone would have been more effective.

The reality is that it was war. It was decided that the bombs were the fastest way to end it with minimum enemy life loss, and as a bonus no friendly life loss or spoils damaged. It was never about what was right or wrong, it was about what was convenient.

Skyzard

Banned
Wasting a bomb like that and continuing to firebomb would prolong the war and more people would have died. You still have not offered one argument as to how two bombs destroying cities barely leads to surrender but one bomb dropped away from everyone would have been more effective.

Wasting a bomb? Possibly preventing the immense destruction? What the fuck?

Piecake

Firebombing of Tokyo and the lack of a warning nuke show it wasn't about saving civilian lives in some sort of tally as hard as some try to make it seem whenever it's brought up, disrespecting those that were affected.

It was obviously about saving the lives of American Soldiers. That does not mean though that the analysis that the invasion would cost far more in Japanese civilian lives is incorrect. It simply means that it wasnt the main purpose of the bombs.

KHarvey16

It would be a waste because it would have produced absolutely no result. The leadership would have not been compelled to do anything in response.

How is this not making sense? Why won't you offer any evidence or reasoning to support your ridiculous assertions?

pa22word

They launch warning nuke. Japan doesn't surrender. They launch second nuke into actual city, and Japan doesn't surrender (see above post). Now we prolong the war until US can launch third nuke on the 19th and give Japan incacuable time to entrench and probe an invasion, costing more lives, and maybe they still surrender in the aftermath of the 19th.

Two bombs still sink two cities, and more loss of life in the weeks it takes to prepare the next bomb. Net gain by launching warning nuke, even with our hindsight, is nothing but more loss of life.

akira28

Doesn't surprise me that you'd believe it.

Truth. As horrible as they were they actually saved lives over the alternative.

lol this one is almost as old as the other one, if we're going to play revision bias.

the war was over, the US didn't need to use the bomb, they wanted to = the Americans didn't want to use the bomb but the Japanese were going to fight "to the death".

Skyzard

Banned
It would be a waste because it would have produced absolutely no result. The leadership would have not been compelled to do anything in response.

How is this not making sense? Why won't you offer any evidence or reasoning to support your ridiculous assertions?

The leadership based it's decision on the fact that US had that power and the Russians are turning on them. That power can be demonstrated to high-level government with a warning shot.

What's hard to understand? Do you think they wouldn't get it because no dead people?

DarkFlow

Banned
Who said any of that? It was about saving American lives, I won't sugarcoat that. Like I said before just look at Iwo Jama and Okinawa to tell you how a invasion of mainland Japan would have went.

KHarvey16

The leadership based it's decision on the fact that US had that power and the Russians are turning on them. That power can be demonstrated to high-level government with a warning shot.

What's hard to understand?

You are ignoring about 80% of everything I'm typing.

Destroying two cities still resulted in a coup to kill the emperor when he decide to end the war. Dropping a bomb in the middle of nowhere would have done nothing and they wouldn't have surrendered.

Please address the facts and stop ignoring everything you don't like.

Feep

Banned

What's hard to understand? Do you think they wouldn't get it because no dead people?
So how should the US-Japan conflict have ended, then, in your mind? With continued hyper-devastating firebomb attacks, or an outright mainland invasion?

Because both are idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom