• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 80 thieves plunder a high end department store in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Don't go look at my collection in the Lego Community thread then.
GIF by Paramount Movies

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
If you ask me stuff like this is corporate espionage. Why wouldnt amazon form gangs to loot their rivals for 990 worth of stuff in placea where the laws are lax and then put the contents on Amazon?

Who benefits from retailers going out of business? Like I have been saying, we are walking into a cyper punk dystopia. If a corporation wasnt behind this they soon will be behind these types of activities.
yea man why wouldn't Amazon form gangs

yea man why wouldn't Amazon form gangs

Do corporations always follow the rules? Are they always "good boys" who never engage in monopolistic or other illegal practices for profit? Have people never fought or died for money?

As far as I'm concerned the only difference between a family like the sacklers and a drug cartel is one spends time to do the paperwork and is connected enough politically to get licenses for their behavior and the other either doesn't have the political influence or just won't bother.

Very few people become wealthy without there being a trail of corpses and shattered lives somewhere in the background.

MrMephistoX

It’s kind of nuts because unless I’m missing something only being reported by the nuts at Newsmax mass rioting hasn’t happened in response to the Rittenhouse verdict. These looters clearly planned this out well in advance and are executing their crime spree without the fog of large scale protests and pillaging like we saw in summer of 2020 with the Floyd protests.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
It’s kind of nuts because unless I’m missing something only being reported by the nuts at Newsmax mass rioting hasn’t happened in response to the Rittenhouse verdict. These looters clearly planned this out well in advance and are executing their crime spree without the fog of large scale protests and pillaging like we saw in summer of 2020 with the Floyd protests.

It's the new Joker Movie, they are trying to will unrest into existence.

Narasumas

As long as each one only stole under $990 there isn't a damn thing anyone can do. Theft is pretty much legal in san fran.
Correct. I believe an officer can still arrest, but if under the monetary threshold it becomes a “private persons arrest” under their own discretion. And as well all know we demonize cops for doing their job these days…..so why would they risk themselves to civil lawsuits or social hardships. No incentive….but plenty of incentive for the criminals.

TDiddyLive

As long as each one only stole under $990 there isn't a damn thing anyone can do. Theft is pretty much legal in san fran.
No, these are multiple felonies. Burglary, which doesn’t have a monetary value, and conspiracy.

Burglary since you can articulate they entered the business with the intent to steal, and conspiracy since you can articulate that 2 or more people made a plan to commit a crime together.

Narasumas

No, these are multiple felonies. Burglary, which doesn’t have a monetary value, and conspiracy.

Burglary since you can articulate they entered the business with the intent to steal, and conspiracy since you can articulate that 2 or more people made a plan to commit a crime together.
I’m this case, yes. But the monetary / felonious threshold that has previously been put in place will now change the thievery culture for good. It only emboldens thieves to the point where we have fucking ‘flash robberies’ instead of flash dances.

The word is out. I expect more like this over time unfortunately.

AJUMP23

Target? If you’re a discerning looter you grab the fucking Death Star, Batmobile and other high end sets from an official Lego Store not the plebe sets you find at Target.
Certainly, but maybe he only had the ability to choose from the lesser sets as the major ones were taken by the first set of thieves and his criminal act was picking up the leftovers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I expects high end stores like this to institute some pretty draconian measures like very low customer occupancy, difficult to rush doorways, and even more visible and aggressive security.

People been doing smash and grabs/boosting in Chicago and other cities for decades. This shit isnt new, Rittenhouse could be an excuse, but it happens.

Would you accept the same argument that it is fine because it had been happening for hundreds of years if the sheriff deputized a bunch of citizens into a posse and lynched the looters?

Either "it has been happening for decades," is a good argument that you can apply to most situations or it is not. You have rule of law or you don't, and when it breaks down dont start crying when you see what kind of people restore law and order or what methods they use to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom