• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.co.jp is now offering international shipping for games and consoles

Sakura

Yes for games. The only thing I've ever ordered from Amazon Japan is games.

They didn't have an English option when I first started using it, but as long as you had a credit card, it wasn't a problem.

Stuff takes awhile to show up, but it arrives with no issue. Only catch is I get advertising emails in Japanese.

Show me the receipts!!!
It never worked before for me for games.

It is a shame the Canadian dollar is so terrible, everything is way to expensive for me.
It's kind of funny because when the Canadian dollar was strong years ago, the yen was strong too, so the exchange rate wasn't much different than it is now.

hongcha

Doesn't seem to work for preorders or hardware (I tried to buy a PS4, but they wouldn't ship it to me), but it works for in-stock software sold by Amazon Japan. Great to finally see this, I've been waiting years for this but never thought it would actually happen.

kagamin

Doesn't seem to work for preorders or hardware, but it works for in-stock software sold by Amazon Japan. Great to finally see this, I've been waiting years for this but never thought it would actually happen.

Oi what?

hey check it out!
BKEtIyS.png

Syriel

What? Show me the receipts because I honestly think you're mistaken about something.
The English option has been there for years as well.

The same games that were not allowed to be shipped to me last week now work.
It's been like this forever.

Opened my Amazon.co.jp account back when a large stash of Circus Lido was discovered.

So Amazon has been shipping games and gaming books overseas since at least then.

jonjonaug

what're the biggest benefits of this? selection or money saved? no idea since i've never imported anything like that.

Amazon prices are usually among the lowest you can get for media items (same holds true for stuff like books, Blurays, etc.), their shipping rates are quite good, and they have reliable service.

This is going to save the average customer at least 15-20 dollars per imported title along with improved shipping times. There's basically no reason to use sites like Playasia anymore for games imported from Japan. They'll still be useful for stuff like East Asian versions of games with English subtitles that don't have an official release in America (see the old version of Demons Souls that English speakers played before Atlus got ahold of it as an example, or in more recent news DOAX3), or for older titles that Amazon might not carry in stock themselves, but that's a much smaller niche than their already existing one.

Opened my Amazon.co.jp account back when a large stash of Circus Lido was discovered.

So Amazon has been shipping games and gaming books overseas since at least then.

The only items that Amazon Japan has sold overseas up until now outside of rare exceptions are books of all kinds, CDs, and BDs/DVDs. Video games are new.

Sakura

Amazon prices are usually among the lowest you can get for media items (same holds true for stuff like books, Blurays, etc.), their shipping rates are quite good, and they have reliable service.

This is going to save the average customer at least 15-20 dollars per imported title along with improved shipping times. There's basically no reason to use sites like Playasia anymore for games imported from Japan. They'll still be useful for stuff like East Asian versions of games with English subtitles that don't have an official release in America (see the old version of Demons Souls that English speakers played before Atlus got ahold of it as an example, or in more recent news DOAX3), or for older titles that Amazon might not carry in stock themselves, but that's a much smaller niche than their already existing one.
To be fair though there was never really a reason to use Play-Asia for importing Japanese games over other sites in my opinion. It's not like they ever had the best prices or anything.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Books yes. I've ordered books, magazines and music for years.

The Circus Lido thing was like 2000/2001 no? What was the last game you ordered from Amazon JP direct?
I honestly don't remember if that was Amazon direct or 3rd party seller at the time but it's been at least a decade since they haven't.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes for games. The only thing I've ever ordered from Amazon Japan is games.

They didn't have an English option when I first started using it, but as long as you had a credit card, it wasn't a problem.

Stuff takes awhile to show up, but it arrives with no issue. Only catch is I get advertising emails in Japanese.

Definitely need receipts, because what you're saying flies in the face of what just about everyone else has experienced. I've been using Amazon.co.jp since like 2005 or so and games were never, ever available for shipping to the U.S. It was pretty much common knowledge amongst anyone who wanted to import games.

Furthermore, I can guarantee that digital downloads were not offered before. I tried to buy the latest Nobunaga game just a couple of months ago and was not able to do so, but it went through fine today.

tr00per

That's pretty big news but my only concern is what happens if you run into a problem? And do prime benefits still apply ?

kiriin

It not going to replace 3rd party forward shipping. But I can see a scenario where Amazon JP could run the ocassional digital game sale (for people don't mind not having a physical copy).

Sakura

I am probably missing something obvious, how did you get that price?

I'm seeing 6,137 yen

6137 would be the Japanese price, which includes tax. If you are purchasing it outside Japan though, you don't pay tax so it would get removed.

Zaventem

amiami will probably still be cheap but this is good i guess! less hoops to jump through, just in time for Dark Souls 3.

Well shit, I just made my account. Now to do research on any imports worth picking up. I've heard good things about Gundam Breaker.

Edit: Just to be clear, New N3DS is region locked, and can't play imports right? Some quick research pointed out a workaround using Cubic Ninja. Is that still the best option to make it region free? I suppose I could start off with a Japanese 3DS to avoid the hassle.

Mendrox

Urgh about 80 Euros if I import DS3 to Germany... at checkout, yes. Could be that I am doing something wrong or the currency rate is fucked right now.

Mendrox

Dark Souls III has english ?

Or you all know japanese ?

Dark Souls 3 has no english sub, but what do you even need text for? It's not like you will understand the lore to 100% the first time. I would say that Dark Souls is one of the easiest games that you can play in japanese.

kagamin

Dark Souls 3 has no english sub, but what do you even need text for? It's not like you will understand the lore to 100% the first time. I would say that Dark Souls is one of the easiest games that you can play in japanese.

Actually... I'd nominate Project Diva for being easier tbh. Not having tool tips is sucky for me in Souls games.

Sanpei

what about weapon, armor, item descriptions ?

Top Bottom