• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
The issue is the safari team luring the lion from the preservation area before shooting it. That in itself is highly illegal and should be prosecuted as such.

He had a permit to hunt big game, not one that was nationally protected.

If we take the only side of the story at face value sure. His people are saying it was done legally. Hope so. Baiting is gross.

Hazmat

I go to the yelp page for some schadenfreude and the first post I see is "Killer. I hope your kids are next." My faith in humanity keeps dropping.

YEAH AND FUCK HIS EMPLOYEES WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT TOO AND PROBABLY HAVE FAMILIES THEY NEED TO FEED.

Nothing to do with it?

They helped him make some of the money he spent to kill the lion.

They did have something to do with it, knowingly or not. If I worked there, I would feel ashamed and hate for my boss and I would probably start looking for a new job that day.

eznark

Banned
He clearly didn't have the permits to do what he did, as his accomplices have been arrested and charged.

I doubt very much that the Zimbabwean authorities gave him permission to lure a famous lion out of their national park, skin it, behead it, and leave it's defiled corpse in the open after trying to destroy it's tracking collar.

Everyone who is charged is guilty? Fuck I wish our cops were as infallible as the ones in Zimbabwe.

How long before the internet finds out where his kids go to school???

Maybe if you'd visit the dentist now and then, you'd know they have receptionists and assistants.

so if i kill someone but have a company and employees i shouldnt go to jail right?

cause thats what your logic is suggesting

Mom

Banned
Nothing to do with it?

They helped him make some of the money he spent to kill the lion.

They did have something to do with it, knowingly or not.

Holy shit, I hope no one ever makes the mistake of bringing you in to a jury.

so if i kill someone but have a company and employees i shouldnt go to jail right?

Who said he shouldn't go to jail. People shouldn't attack his business. DUH.

If we take the only side of the story at face value sure. His people are saying it was done legally. Hope so. Baiting is gross.

His "people" are me, myself, and I. The other two have been arrested. What other story could there be here? Cecil willingly allowed himself to be shot, tracked for 40 hours, and skinned and beheaded for good fun?

spookyfish

Z59kW3a.gif

Holy shit, I hope no one ever makes the mistake of bringing you in to a jury.

Who said he shouldn't go to jail. People shouldn't attack his business. DUH.

His business provided him the money to go on his hunting trip.

It should be shut down and he should be in jail.

In fact, his business should be liquidated and the money donated to the WWF.

So...

How is it that this is highly illegal yet he's been doing it for years now with no ramifications?

I mean at least like, revoke his fucking passport or something.

ElRenoRaven

I say we put him out there and let someone hunt him the same way he did Cecil. Let him see what it's like. I'm ok with hunting but not big game. I'm ok with hunting for food. If you eat what you kill and use what you kill while killing quickly and humanly then ok cool. But shit like this pisses me off so much.

dabig2

If this guy doesn't get prosecuted, I hope he's ostracized from society. No GoFundMe page or any such bullshit.

Hopefully he endures some Old Testament justice like "You will build a house, but someone else will live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will never enjoy its fruit." for the rest of his days. Let it be a warning and cautionary tale to other cowards like him.

Jag

Except he has a history of doing this shit illegally. Plus they destroyed the evidence that he was protected.

Can't wait to see the lies the PR firm is going to spin on this.

He clearly didn't have the permits to do what he did, as his accomplices have been arrested and charged.

I doubt very much that the Zimbabwean authorities gave him permission to lure a famous lion out of their national park, skin it, behead it, and leave it's defiled corpse in the open after trying to destroy it's tracking collar.

maybe the accomplices faked the permits? Maybe he was fooled? Waiting would be better. But in a society where 5 minutes of wait feels like a year, i understand it's a given that people with jump on his throat

soleil

Banned
I can see what Mom is saying. Maybe just push for prosecution of the individual but leave the business alone. There might be other dentists working at that dental office? If you prosecute the guy and leave the business alone, then only the guilty suffers.

IISANDERII

This was a well known. Well loved creature. What's worse is that Cecil's cubs will probably all also die because that's how Lions roll.

Cecil the lion's killer said to be an American dentist who paid $55,000

The guy has a history of killing beautiful creatures.

jmq0fQ4m.jpg

Seriously, fuck this guy and his macho ego. I hope we ship him off to Africa for prosecution.

Edit: And here comes the internet revenge. His Yelp page.
I can only imagine how tiny his penis must be for him to want to do all that.

Mom

Banned
His business provided him the money to go on his hunting trip.

It should be shut down and he should be in jail.

In fact, his business should be liquidated and the money donated to the WWF.

You have emotional issue dude. Therapy might help with that.

I heard hunting is a great release for aggression.

eznark

Banned
His "people" are me, myself, and I. The other two have been arrested. What other story could there be here? Cecil willingly allowed himself to be shot, tracked for 40 hours, and skinned and beheaded for good fun?

He has a "spokesman" so you know he is legit!

Possibly that the lion was killed legally, in accordance to his permits?

I hope Zimbabwe has more due process than the internet.

No, it was notably friendly, that's why it became semi-famous.

Turns out I was actually confusing it with the Black Rhino hunter's permit that auctioned for a third of a million last year.

Is this poaching equivalent of bringing up a victim's arrest record?

See above. In the case of the Black Rhino it was actually conservation experts who proposed it. And all the money went to further efforts. In any case I was confusing that scenario with this one, so it doesn't apply.

Blader

Wasn't this lion like super old and aggressive, making it harder for younger lions to breed? Or was that a different lion.

Is this poaching equivalent of bringing up a victim's arrest record?

It was a protected lion. How on earth could you kill it legally?

Everyone who is charged is guilty? Fuck I wish our cops were as infallible as the ones in Zimbabwe.
He coaxed the Lion out of a park. In what way can you twist that to be legal. It's like having a licence to hunt wild dogs and going around dragging peoples pets out of their yard and shooting them in the street.

maybe the accomplices faked the permits? Maybe he was fooled? Waiting would be better. But in a society where 5 minutes of wait feels like a year, i understand it's a given that people with jump on his throat

He has a history of illegal hunting, no need for waiting, dude is a proven lowlife.

The defence force in here are gross, hang your heads in shame.

Tagyhag

Fooled? He's hunted illegally before, he's not an idiot, unless he was fooled all the other times as well.

You have emotional issue dude. Therapy might help with that.

I heard hunting is a great release for aggression.

Careful, you can get banned for personal attacks.

eznark

Banned
Because spiders aren't being endangered by extinction due to human activities?

Neither are African Lions.

He coaxed the Lion out of a park. In what way can you twist that to be legal. It's like having a licence to hunt wild dogs and going around dragging peoples pets out of their yard and shooting them in the street.
Why are we just assuming this is what indeed happened? Yesterday we were told it was some Spanish dude.

Real Hero

I hope when we are eventually extremely low on resources and we are finally allowed to hunt people for fun we decide as a species to start with guys like this

That doesn't explain the emotional aspect of it.

And if I saw a endangered spider in my house kill that motherfucker too.

Guy is an asshole, but I'm not a vegetarian, and I support horrible conditions for animals just by buying grocery meat.

Dalek

what scum. That video someone posted of Cecil blinking was great. Very sad that we have assholes that get away with this. I'm glad his yelp page is backfiring.

soleil

Banned
Because spiders aren't being endangered by extinction due to human activities?

Boy, critical thinking is hard work.
Well I can see the other side of this argument. An individual life isn't worth less just because there are more of your species. You're still an individual creature with a life you could be living.

Piggus

I fucking hate hunters. Absolute scum.

Grow up. This asshole isn't a hunter. He's a poacher. There's a big difference between legal, regulated hunting (which is considered a form of ecosystem conservation) and the asshole poacher who illegally killed an animal for sport. I'd bet just about anything that most hunters care more about wildlife and nature than you do.

Fooled? He's hunted illegally before, he's not an idiot, unless he was fooled all the other times as well.

Careful, you can get banned for personal attacks.

I'm not finding much information about the matter. Care to show the illegal hunts he did before? (illegal hunts that just got known or why the fuck isn't he in jail yet?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom