• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He has a "spokesman" so you know he is legit!

Possibly that the lion was killed legally, in accordance to his permits?

I hope Zimbabwe has more due process than the internet.

The basic facts of the case, as established by the authorities, preclude this killing being legal.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm not finding much information about the matter. Care to show the illegal hunts he did before? (illegal hunts that just got known or why the fuck isn't he in jail yet?)

Here

Man has a history of poaching, illegal hunts and lying to federal investigators. Kind of says it all

I understand the desire to hunt. I hunt myself. I don't understand the desire to hunt endangered animals. Hunters are supposed to be respectful of the environment and understand our roles within the ecosystem. This dude is terrible.

Grow up. This asshole isn't a hunter. He's a poacher. There's a big difference between legal, regulated hunting (which is considered a form of ecosystem conservation) and the asshole poacher who illegally killed an endangered animal for sport. I'd bet just about anything that most hunters care more about wildlife and nature than you do.

a lot of my friends are hunters and are more pissed about this than a lot of people in this thread.

hunters and poachers are very different.

this guy is a poacher. and an asshole.

lets tell all his friends he pees sitting down

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Look at you all, how do those pitchforks feel?

I don't even have a pitchfork. But if he's illegally hunting, why wouldn't you cut off his funds for doing that? Solve the problem, even if it puts innocent people out of work/in economic trouble.

eznark

Banned
The basic facts of the case, as established by the authorities, preclude this killing being legal.

Assuming we take the authorities at their word (a first for everything on the internet), the only person who most definitely did anything illegal was the ZPHGA guide.

Azull

You have emotional issue dude. Therapy might help with that.

I heard hunting is a great release for aggression.

Seriously?

tumblr_lo9wr8hZWH1qmfoslo1_250.gif

You're just trolling at this point.

Stet

Banned
Neither are African Lions.

Not as a whole, no. Instead, they're vulnerable, and poaching is one of the major reasons why. The classification means that they're very likely to become endangered if nothing is done. Certain subspecies of lion are critically endangered, however, and their distribution is waning every day. That's why there are preserves, like the one Cecil lived on.

zeemumu

¡HarlequinPanic!;173237439 said:
man only 55k to do something that shitty? what a bargain

That's a lot of money to break the law and get nothing out of it because trophy hunting is pointless.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Assuming we take the authorities at their word (a first for everything on the internet), the only person who most definitely did anything illegal was the ZPHGA guide.

Well, yeah, I'm taking the authorities at their word. Why on earth would they give some foreign poacher permission to kill one of their most prized animals outside of the park boundaries?

BamfMeat

Permits don't allow you to lure an animal out of a sanctuary to shoot it. I'm not sure why this appears to be so hard for people to grasp.

Even if he "didn't know", that doesn't make him not responsible. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and especially in this case where he killed an endangered animal.

This isn't a "well it was a lion he just happened to come across" this is one where they *actively lured the animal out of a sanctuary to shoot it.* Are you really that dense that you don't get that?

Mael

He has a history of illegal hunting, no need for waiting, dude is a proven lowlife.

The defence force in here are gross, hang your heads in shame.

On a fireplace?

Permits don't allow you to lure an animal out of a sanctuary to shoot it. I'm not sure why this appears to be so hard for people to grasp.

Even if he "didn't know", that doesn't make him not responsible. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and especially in this case where he killed an endangered animal.

This isn't a "well it was a lion he just happened to come across" this is one where they *actively lured the animal out of a sanctuary to shoot it.* Are you really that dense that you don't get that?

They tried to remove the GPS collar,
in what way did he not know what he was doing there?
No need to play devil's advocate here, it's an open&shut case here.

eznark

Banned
Well, yeah, I'm taking the authorities at their word.

ok, I'll wait for due process, personally.

Allegedly. If they prove it, fuck him.

Blader

Your position is that the man with a track record of illegally poaching animals all around the world somehow didn't know he was doing the exact same thing here?

Well shit, man, that blows the case wide open! Maybe all those other killings were accidental too!

hes done this almost exact thing before:

On September 1, 2006, the Wisconsin Department ofNatural Resources (DNR) issued a license to Walter J. Palmer, authorizing him to hunt and kill a black bear only in Subzone A1 in northern Wisconsin. On September 30, 2006, Palmer, with the assistance of others, hunted and killed a black bear near Phillips in Price County, Wisconsin, at a location approximately 40 miles by vehicle outside of Subzone A1.Afterthe bear was killed, members of the hunting group noticed that Palmer'stag was for Subzone A1 and that the bear had been killed outside of that zone.

The members of the group, including Palmer, agreed that if any authorities were to ask where the bear had been killed, they would say it had been killed off Taylor Lake Road south of
Minong, a location in Subzone A1.

Palmer and others transported the bear carcass toa registration station in Subzone A1. At the registration station, Palmer filed a Bear Registration Stub, falsely certifying that the bear had been killed in Subzone A1. Palmer later caused the bear carcass to be transported from Wisconsin to Minnesota.

Here

Man has a history of poaching, illegal hunts and lying to federal investigators. Kind of says it all

that was the one I found. He killed a bear 40 miles away from a hunting area, and lied to save his own ass. Okay. That incident and this one has nothing in common. This lion is a huge red flag and it makes no sense to go after him precisely.

What i'm saying is that you can't say that because he had one incident before, he's guilty now. That's not how things work. That's not what the majority of posters here defend about rehabilitation after a crime anyways. Once a criminal always a criminal? (i'm actually quite on the opposite side, I don't believe much in a broad generalisation of rehabilitation)

Not gonna defend the illegal act that he committed, but there might be more to it than just "he did it before, therefor he actually did it again and much worse".

In other words...they aren't!

Uhhh, yes they are?

I said the African Lion is endangered by extinction due to humans, they are close to officially being on an endangered species list due to current trends that have them going extinct in 35 years.

Just because they aren't on that list doesn't make the statement false.

MJPIA

I've defended some types of hunting before but not this time.
They lured him out of a park by dragging an animal carcass behind a vehicle, injured him with a bow, finished him off with a gun 40 hours later and then tried to destroy his tracking collar.
They are scum.

http://www.zimparks.org/index.php/m...-gwayi-conservancy-by-bushman-safaris-profess
JOINT PRESS STATEMENT BY ZIMBABWE PARKS AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY AND SAFARI OPERATORS ASSOCIATION OF ZIMBABWE ON THE ILLEGAL HUNT OF A COLLARED LION AT ANTOINETTE FARM, HWANGE DISTRICT ON 1 JULY 2015 IN GWAYI CONSERVANCY BY BUSHMAN SAFARIS PROFESSIONAL HUNTER, THEO BRONKHORST.

Theo Bronchorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris is facing criminal charges (VIC FALLS Police CR 27/07/2015) for allegedly killing a collared lion on Antoinette farm in Gwayi Conservancy, Hwange district on 1 July 2015. The lion named ‘Cecil’ was well known and regularly sighted by tourists in the Main camp area of Hwange National Park. It is alleged that the hunter connived with the Antoinette land owner, Mr. Honest Trymore Ndlovu to kill the lion. Ongoing investigations to date, suggest that the killing of the lion was illegal since the land owner was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015. Therefore, all persons implicated in this case are due to appear in court facing poaching charges.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management as the Regulatory Authority and custodian of all wild animals in Zimbabwe issues hunting permits and hunting quota for all hunting areas in Zimbabwe so that only animals on quota are to be hunted. In this case, both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt.

Both professional hunter Theo Bronkhorst’s licence number 553 who was involved in the hunt and the owner of Antoinette farm, Mr. Honest Trymore Ndlovu are being jointly charged for illegally hunting the lion. The two are due to appear in court on Wednesday, 29 July 2015. Efforts are being made to interview the other professional hunter, Zane Bronkhorst, licence number 558, who was also involved in the illegal hunt.

The Professional Hunter Theo Bronkhosrt’s Licence has been suspended with immediate effect. The lion trophy has also been confiscated. The relevant stakeholders have been informed and are being updated about this matter.
If convicted all involved face up to 15 years in prison IIRC.

Stet

Banned

But until then, let me swing around on this parallel bar to make it absolutely clear that everything's a-ok.

The best part of this is that we will likely never get "full confirmation" about what happened, so you're in the clear for having to own up to being wrong!

eznark

Banned
Your position is that the man with a track record of illegally poaching animals all around the world somehow didn't know he was doing the exact same thing here?

Well shit, man, that blows the case wide open! Maybe all those other killings were accidental too!

Once before, right? I don't think it was "all those others" I think it was once.

Just because they aren't on that list doesn't make the statement false.
Endangered is a term with a specific meaning.

Have the guts to state you see no problem, you have down so already, just in a round about manner.

I have a significant problem with baiting. And these guided hunts in general. This actually sounds like a more "adventurous" one. I know a guy who basically shoots giraffes in pens. It's pathetic.

Rootbeer

Banned
Rich people who wiill pay obscene amounts of money in order to travel around the world and hunt exotic game in other countries deserve harsh penalties. Fuck these people!

Takuan

I hope all involved are punished to the further extent of the law. Why did they feel a need to target this specific lion when, presumably, there were legal targets available?

ghostjoke

Banned
Paying 55,000 to be a piece of shit. 40 freaking hours? Seriously? What happens in your life that this is how you get your kicks?

andycapps

How pathetic. I've always thought it funny when people call it hunting when you lure an animal to come somewhere and then ambush it. That's not really hunting. Hunting is when you track the thing, you go out there and find it and kill it.

Also, there's no reason to kill a lion. There are much better and more plentiful sources of meat. This was just done so he could hang a skin or head on his wall of trophies. Hopefully he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of their laws and other "hunters" will be dissuaded.

People and their selective biases towards the "law" and the "environment".

You don't seem to understand the concept of illegal hunting and poaching. It's not that he killed a lion. It's that he killed a protected animal, in a illegal hunt and tried to destroyed evidence. That's a crime, and hey look at that, the other assholes that were with him are being charged.

It was an endangered species that this douche had to pay poachers to lead away from protection so they could kill it. This guy is disgusting and should be extradited to face prosecution as an example to other jackass poachers.

I get the illegality and endangered part. And I agree with you but I don't think it justifies people saying that he should be hunted or killed especially when animals are killed in horrific ways every day to put food on our plates. I find it a bit hypocritical to get morally outraged over this but then freely kill other living creatures on some superficial basis. I also don't feel comfortable with the internet mob justice that goes out of control in cases like this. Let the law handle it.

I am not a hunter in the slightest and I've never killed an animal before. It's not something that appeals to me but I can't agree with the way some are going after this guy. The posts about killing people like him, in this thread and in others like it, are pretty gross to someone, like me, who values human life much more than any animal life. I know none of you are arguing that but I was mainly speaking to other posters that I've seen.

Jag

The guy pleaded guilty to the 2008 charge of illegal poaching and lying to Federal investigators. He got a small fine and a year probation. He's a lying asshole.

From the 2008 article:

Defense attorney Douglas Kelley said Palmer didn't set out to violate any hunting laws that morning but his unspecified diagnosis probably "pushed him into a corner" and caused him to "panic."

Hope he's panicking now.

Once before, right? I don't think it was "all those others" I think it was once.

Yep. People here are using half-truths to defend their point. This thread made me believe that he actually went and poached illegally all around the world, and that's why I didn't find any info, because it was just once.

I've defended some types of hunting before but not this time.
They lured him out of a park by dragging an animal carcass behind a vehicle, injured him with a bow, finished him off with a gun 40 hours later and then tried to destroy his tracking collar.
They are scum.

http://www.zimparks.org/index.php/m...-gwayi-conservancy-by-bushman-safaris-profess

If convicted all involved face up to 15 years in prison IIRC.

holy shit if true.

Anyone been in Zimbabew prison before?

eznark

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom