• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fathom

Banned
I'm ok with him being hated. He deserves the hate. Nobody here is advocating threats of violence or that he gets killed.

Plenty are on Twitter and I actually don't hold it against them. This guy is comically evil. He wanted to go and kill elephants after the lion. He deserves extradition at the very least, I don't care how fucked Zimbabwe is. If it's good enough for him to go and commit illegal acts there, it's good enough to punish him as they see fit for committing said acts.

Imm0rt4l

Plenty are on Twitter and I actually don't hold it against them. This guy is comically evil. He wanted to go and kill elephants after the lion. He deserves extradition at the very least, I don't care how fucked Zimbabwe is. If it's good enough for him to go and commit illegal acts there, it's good enough to punish him as they see fit for committing said acts.
I think it would set a good precedent. Even if it is a failed state.

So it is illegal to hunt lions? Are there any safe guards in place to make sure the law is followed?

I don't think any meaningful improvement will be seen until the people are earning a decent salary, and attain a higher quality of life. Until then, the allure of the almighty dollar will continue to drive corruption that results in poaching.

Fathom

Banned
I think it would set a good precedent. Even if it is a failed state.

Absolutely, and I don't think the arguments that hunting is somehow good for conservation hold merit because of the money it brings in. I saw them talking about it on the news at the gym today and it rings like hollow justification to me. Ban it and make an example of this guy, hunting will nosedive in popularity and donations might even go up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Absolutely, and I don't think the arguments that poaching is somehow good for conservation hold merit because of the money it brings in. I saw them talking about it on the news at the gym today and it rings like hollow justification to me. Ban it and make an example of this guy, poaching will nosedive in popularity and donations might even go up.
Hunting, not poaching.

Fathom

Banned
So it is illegal to hunt lions? Are there any safe guards in place to make sure the law is followed?

I don't think any meaningful improvement will be seen until the people are earning a decent salary, and attain a higher quality of life. Until then, the allure of the almighty dollar will continue to drive corruption that results in poaching.

It's illegal to hunt protected lions, not sure what the specific safe guards are but I'm pretty sure they're known enough to people who do this that ignorance is not an excuse.

Do you think people are mad because he shot the " wrong " Lion ?

Are you for real ?
Why no extradition ? That country has laws and the guy violated their laws. Why wouldn't you respect that ?

When someone violates laws in 'murica, you can be sure that the US will try everything in their power to get his country to extradite him to the US. But I guess this is 'murica we're talking about and not some stupid ass african country right ?
That's definitely why people are mad, and why he was on Kimmel. That's why we're hearing about this guy and not other poachers. Literally all that's happened here was people saw Jimmy Kimmel cry and now they're outraged at the wrong person.

Anyway, here's an update:
Cecil the lion is alive!

Three day old article from a joke site.

And I want him extradited because it's a nice reminder to rich scumbags that they aren't above the law. A small step in the right direction in a world with massive double standards.

Three day old article from a joke site.

And I want him extradited because it's a nice reminder to rich scumbags that they aren't above the law. A small step in the right direction in a world with massive double standards.
How can you say it's a joke when there are videos?

And how can you complain about double standards when we only care about this lion because he's a famous celebrity lion?

Hatty

here's something crazy, we can extradite the dentist and use this famous lion to springboard knowledge shout poaching and corrupt governments! We can do multiple things at once! it's easy if you try

And how can you complain about double standards when we only care about this lion because he's a famous celebrity lion?

That's the point Clickhole is making. They're just random videos of lions.

It's a false assumption, though. Nobody likes the idea of an alpha lion with 20+ cubs being slaughtered for fun, and I didn't see Kimmel or any of this other stuff.

Enron

Banned
wait, wtf?

Cecil's cubs likely to survive
Meanwhile, Cecil's cubs are likely to survive, even in the wake of the animal's death, according to one scientist who's had been studying the lion.

The cubs are alive and are likely to be defended by Cecil's brother, Jericho, who may have fathered some cubs himself, said professor David Macdonald, director of Oxford's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit.

The cubs are not being tracked, and conservationists would have to find the adult females to find the cubs, Macdonald told CNN.

Male coalitions -- often brothers -- oversee prides of females in lion society, and any threat is posed by external, incoming male lions, Macdonald said.

Aexact

This along with articles of Cecils unkowness up until now, even from and in Zimbabwe, makes me almost believe that this is a PR stunt from the local tourism department.

Everyone is going to want to see Cecil now.
???

I don't know anything about those other articles about Cecil's whereabouts, but that guy's article is from Clickhole.

Kinyou

RG0BS1U.gif
Speaking about Jurassic Park...

wait, wtf?
That would be interesting. He shares genes with his brother so from an evolutionary point of view it might make sense if he raises the cups. (But not like I'm any kind of expert on that stuff)

MJPIA

He made contact.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rep-for-minnesota-dentist-reaches-out-to-u-s-fish-and-wildlife-service/
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service was contacted by a representative of Dr. Walter Palmer, the American dentist who killed a protected lion while on a guided hunt in Zimbabwe, according to Vanessa C. Kauffman spokeswoman from the Division of Public Affairs for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

"The Service's investigation is ongoing and appreciates that Dr. Palmer's representative voluntarily reached out to the Service," said Kauffman in a statement.

The Service then confirmed the late Thursday evening contact again in a Tweet.

Late yesterday we were voluntarily contacted by a rep of Dr. Palmer. We appreciate the cooperation, investigation is ongoing. #CecilTheLion
— US Fish and Wildlife (@USFWS) July 31, 2015

Earlier Thursday the law enforcement arm of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said it was trying to reach the Minnesota dentist. Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement Deputy Chief Edward Grace re-iterated that the agency is investigating circumstances surrounding the death of a beloved lion, named Cecil.

Grace said multiple efforts to contact Palmer were unsuccessful and "we ask that Dr. Palmer or his representative contact us immediately." It is unclear what the communication was between the agency and Palmer's representative late Thursday evening.

Imm0rt4l

I guess it's a testament to the situation that people can't even recognize Cecil the savior lion.
Its a testament to your naivety if anything.One moment you're actually buying a story that cecil is alive. Next when its made plainly clear how dumb it is you return to trolling. "Lol savior lion"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
He finally made contact.

I'm not trying to defend the shitty things this guy has done or anything, but is the fast pace of the internet coloring our expectations a little unrealistically? I mean, it's only been 3 days since the initial story broke, and one day since the the government put out a statement that he should contact them.

MJPIA

I'm not trying to defend the shitty things this guy has done or anything, but is the fast pace of the internet coloring our expectations a little unrealistically? I mean, it's only been 3 days since the initial story broke, and one day since the the government put out a statement that he should contact them.
You're right.
For all I know he could've been consulting with legal council and figuring out what to do.
Worded that poorly on my part.
I'll edit it.

Absolutely, and I don't think the arguments that hunting is somehow good for conservation hold merit because of the money it brings in. I saw them talking about it on the news at the gym today and it rings like hollow justification to me. Ban it and make an example of this guy, hunting will nosedive in popularity and donations might even go up.

The BBC looked into the hunting rationalization and it doesn't hold water. Sure they get a few million from hunters paying to kill. But they get billions from people just going on safaris to see the animals and take pictures. The animals are worth more alive than dead even if you are charging five figure amounts to kill them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The BBC looked into the hunting rationalization and it doesn't hold water. Sure they get a few million from hunters paying to kill. But they get billions from people just going on safaris to see the animals and take pictures. The animals are worth more alive than dead even if you are charging five figure amounts to kill them.

Successful safari programs require certain things - Infrastructure such as lodging, food, transportation and waste disposal for hundreds/thousands of tourists. A scenic and hospitable landscape.

Not every place in Africa has these things. Either they are too poor to afford the infrastructure, or the landscape looks and feels very harsh. It's much easier/cheaper/environmentally friendly to host just a small group of hunters instead of hundreds of safari-goers.

Market values on the worth of animals dead or alive also play into the economics of hunting. When the value of keeping and breeding animals to farm out for sport is high enough, it incentivizes landowners to see their stock as a long term investment, and thus incentivizes them to protect and maintain it. This is part of the reason why the Southern White Rhino is now numbering in the thousands instead of the hundreds that it used to be in the 70s.

Depending on the country and their policies, the difference in hunting vs photo tourism revenue can vary. Take Zambia for example, however:

Zambia bans hunting of lions and leopards (2013)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20969868

Zambia's tourism minister said there was more value in game-viewing tourism than blood sport, which brought in just $3m (£1.9m) last year.

Sylvia Masebo said the country did not have enough cats for hunting purposes.

"Tourists come to Zambia to see the lion and if we lose the lion we will be killing our tourism industry," she told Reuters.

But Chuma Simukonda from the Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) said the ban would be bad for tourism.

"The population of cats in Zambia is around 3,400 to 3,500 and with the ban on safari hunting for cats, we are likely to lose on revenue," he told the AFP news agency.

He said about 55 cats were killed by hunters each year.

2 years later:

Why Zambia lifted ban on hunting lions and leopards (2015)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32815508

So why would a country like Zambia lift the ban on the shooting and killing of its precious lion and leopard populations?

The answer is very clear - it is the need for foreign currency in order to fund sustainable wildlife programmes, which can be costly, and also to benefit local communities.

Trophy hunting is a multi-million dollar industry - a licence to shoot a lion can cost up to $25,000 (£15,000) in neighbouring countries.

There is no doubt that the beautiful banks of the Zambezi river in Livingstone and the Victoria Falls are still a draw card for international tourists but take a closer look at the numbers and it soon becomes clear that trophy hunters bring the lion's share of the greenback.

But they also plan to have strict regulations in place to encourage conservation:

Zambia's country director of the World Wildlife Fund Nyambe Nyambe told me that when the ban was initially announced back in 2013 "there were not enough monitoring systems in place".

The government lifted the ban following expert recommendations which suggested that hunting resumption would "assist communities in affected areas with access to financial benefits", he said.

Mr Nyambe also explained that "concerns about the big cats conservation led to the ban in the first place and there is due recognition of the same as the ban is being lifted".

The authorities saw the need for a robust and implementable plan for leopards as well, as they have different needs to lions.

Hunting regulations were structured only for lions because hunters were mostly interested in the king of the jungle.

Mr Nyambe added: "We hope and trust that the hunting of big cats will be an integral part of sustainable harvesting of wildlife resources."

Kinokou

???

I don't know anything about those other articles about Cecil's whereabouts, but that guy's article is from Clickhole.

No they were not about the whereabouts but about Zimbabwean journalists and news editors not having heard about Cecil before now, along with the general populous of Zimbabwe. I only skimmed these Norwegian articles but the impression I got was that the people interviewed thought the situation got more attention than it deserved. So what I thought is that the situation might actually be artificially inflated somehow by some smart PR people, and if so then suddenly revealing that Cecil is alive and well had the potential to become a big tourist draw since almost everyone with an internet connection now knows about Cecil.

The claim that Cecil was alive was merely a trigger to share the theory, whether true or not doesn't really matter for my initial thoughts about the Norwegian articles.

Of course I could look better at the source, and the internet has blown up over lion hunting before or maybe one of the earlier journalists who reported on this asked the people behind the GPS collar if they had a nickname for the lion which for the general populous of Zimbabwe was an unnamed and generic tourist draw.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You wanna know the most fucked up thing? People feared that he would kill the cubs, but he was defending them from the other males.

Syriel

So I just saw on the news the brother lion was just shot and killed.

This is a crude joke. Come on, tell me that you're trolling or something.

Gonna need sources.

Google is turning up UK sources. Daily Mail and Mirror right now.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/cecil-lions-brother-jericho-shot-6178361

The brother of Cecil the lion has been shot dead today, it has emerged.

The lion was killed in a park in Zimbabwe at about 4pm local time this afternoon.

Johnny Rodrigues, Chairman for Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, said: "It is with great sadness and regret that we report that Jericho was shot dead at 4pm this afternoon.

"We have no further details but will advise as soon as we know more.'

Dr Prob

Banned
Yeah, the story isn't up yet on their website but it is in the breaking news crawl:

Brother of Cecil the lion, named Jericho, killed by hunter operating illegally in Zimbabwe, senior park official says.

And now it's on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom