• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Welp I got struck with the infamous "John" scalper.

Guy actually looked me up to talk shit over Skype.

B6JfeqoCYAAqfQo.png

Generally I don't have a problem with resellers as I resell on occasion, just a couple of things here and there mostly to cover the cost of things, but it's hard to defend it when people act like that. Have to wonder what he would do for money without amiibos, probably beg for handouts at gas stations.

Gurrry

The Falcon I got from the NWS has that too. Same for the WFT. I don't think it's an import, characters with different names in different languages probably just have spanish and french below their names for the US version.

Hmm youre right!

False alarm guys! Sorry for the confusion!

Jswanko

Apparently he's mad at us for calling his kind a scumbag. Far enough to actually find some of us on Skype to talk shit.

This is next level Xbox Live salt messages.

If you're making "thousands" of dollars from scalping toys why would you care if some people in a gaming forum think you're a scumbag?

rjinaz

Apparently he's mad at us for calling his kind a scumbag. Far enough to actually find some of us on Skype to talk shit.

This is next level Xbox Live salt messages.

Ironic then that he's actually now doing more to prove what people were saying about him was right?

I'd block him, a soon as somebody used words like "faggot" in a conversation, I'd know they were immature and nothing they have to say would interest me or amuse me.

Toki767

If you're making "thousands" of dollars from scalping toys why would you care if some people in a gaming forum think you're a scumbag?
If you're going to spend all that time and effort to scalp amiibos of all things, you honestly might be better off just getting a job.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Resellers are a reality of the market. They don't have to be douchebag trolls too though.

In the case of Amiibos so far at least it's honestly not really needed anyway. Really glad for the foreign options (though obviously best of all would be actual good distribution in the U.S.). Doesn't work for the mint-in-box folks, but honestly if that's your mindset you're going to be dealing with scalpers (or be a scalper yourself) at one point or another anyway.

I've been pretty confused by the mixed messages from Nintendo; is it confirmed that Villager/Wii Fit/Marth are totally discontinued?

It seems weird that they wouldn't at least restock Villager; isn't Animal Crossing one of Nintendo's biggest franchises in recent years?

Animal Crossing itself is popular, but I don't think anyone really cares about the Villager.

Assuming Nintendo doesn't hate money there will no doubt be an Animal Crossing line with Isabelle, Tom Nook, K.K. Slider etc.

Gusto

Mannnn you opened em all huh?

I cant decide what I want to do yet. I have all of mine in the box still... Not sure if I want to open them yet.

Open em brah, live up. You could die tomorrow and someone will sell them without your fighting style. Live forever in these plastic time capsules.

prateeko

Mine was like that. Does that mean it's an import? Still had the 6+ in the corner, so that alone says it's the US version from what I've seen. Still found it weird that he was the only one with multiple languages. Got it from GameStop a little over a week ago... Now wait and see GameStop is running an underground amiibo Black Market where they sell imports as NA versions. :p

They will have spanish and french translations if the Amiibo is of a character that has french and spanish equivalents. So for something like Pit, which is a name proper and thus does not get translated whereas both 'Captain' and 'Falcon' are different words in spanish and french.

If it were actually European I imagine it would have been translated into all the other languages there as well (e.g. German, Italian)

It's almost 2015 and people still use homophobic language. That is the biggest offense, second the fact he is contacting you personally is insane, and third the scalping (that is a grey area but he is making it negative for sure). Block him

Dunno if it'd help anything, but if you're still hunting for commons/curious to see what there is in stock, there are two threads over on reddit for Target and Walmart in which you can search for amiibo thanks to a Lego Set finder tool.

Walmart doesn't seem to have stuff yet for Falcon for some reason, although I'm guessing every Wave 3 guy likely wont work either.

Zombine

Banned
Sort of mad that if this is true, I aided a scalper. Maybe we should just have a PM or mailing list for this, or teach people how to set up Amazon alerts because they always restock.

They will have spanish and french translations if the Amiibo is of a character that has french and spanish equivalents. So for something like Pit, which is a name proper and thus does not get translated whereas both 'Captain' and 'Falcon' are different words in spanish and french.

If it were actually European I imagine it would have been translated into all the other languages there as well (e.g. German, Italian)

If it was actually European it'd be numbered. Like Mario is #01, Peach is #02 etc.
Nintendo knows how to prey on collectors like that :p

Seik

Banned
Just got an email from amazon saying that my Captain Falcon and Luigi just shipped...

Captain Falcon was on the same order than Pit though, I'm upset. D:

prateeko

If it was actually European it'd be numbered. Like Mario is #01, Peach is #02 etc.
Nintendo knows how to prey on collectors like that :p

Good point. The US ones will say 6+ in the upper right hand corner indicating the age range whereas the other ones seem to say the number in the series.

rjinaz

Sort of mad that if this is true, I aided a scalper. Maybe we should just have a PM or mailing list for this, or teach people how to set up Amazon alerts because they always restock.

I wouldn't take the word of anybody over the internet, especially that guy. Oh I have no doubt he got some Pits, but you also helped a lot of others get Pit, including myself. All we can do is try and be helpful and hope others don't be jerks and ruin it for everybody else.

But people are kidding themselves if they don't think amiibo scalpers everywhere aren't watching this thread like a hawk. They are. Kind of just have to accept it as part of a public forum.

jax

Banned
So I have a few dupes that I was going to save fer when Wave 3 dropped, fer trades and etc. But this guy is such a piece of crap that I want to sell them now, at retail fer my fellow GAFfers.

I have a Diddy, Zelda and Luigi. PM me fer info.

Cody_D165

Banned
The hits just keep on hitting lol.

B6JmNPcCQAAcUgt.png

B6JmeyGCEAAg_QK.png

Yo what the fuck? I got a request from a random named "John" on Skype the other day but blocked it because I had literally no idea who the fuck it was.

This kid's fucking adding GAFfers on Skype just to brag about scalping amiibos?

What the actual fuck?

Khaz

Animal Crossing itself is popular, but I don't think anyone really cares about the Villager.

Assuming Nintendo doesn't hate money there will no doubt be an Animal Crossing line with Isabelle, Tom Nook, K.K. Slider etc.

Come on now, it's not like I'm made of money.

Son Of D

Yo what the fuck? I got a request from a random named "John" on Skype the other day but blocked it because I had literally no idea who the fuck it was.

This kid's fucking adding GAFfers on Skype just to brag about scalping amiibos?

What the actual fuck?

I'm willing to think it's either:

1. A banned Gaffer mad about his ban
  2. A fake account trolling you all
  3. A lurker messing around
  4. Someone here having some fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom