• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Can anyone recommend a cheap Villager from a vendor outside the US?

Well Amazon.de might be your best option. The best thing to do is buy more than one though. If you buy three or four it ends up coming down to about $20 per. But one by itself will run you about $28 shipped.

I got little mac, luigi, zelda, and diddy. Best buy called me to pick up the rest of my two wave 2'order and the lady hands me 2 luigis. Wtf. They took them back and told me theyll call me when pit and cpt falcon arrive. Im so done with best buy. Ugh

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn I was watching those amiibo x One Piece images, its what finally convinced me to get Marth.

tumblr_nh465b0zHJ1sntotwo1_1280.png
Same here. I wish I knew about this BEFORE he & Wii Fit Trainer were discontinued. Though hoping Namco brings the game over, seeing as they localized the Pirate Warriors & Unlimited World Red, so maybe there's a chance this'll come over as well.

Christopher

I got little mac, luigi, zelda, and diddy. Best buy called me to pick up the rest of my two wave 2'order and the lady hands me 2 luigis. Wtf. They took them back and told me theyll call me when pit and cpt falcon arrive. Im so done with best buy. Ugh

Yeah thank god my Meta Knight is ship to home not playing games with them

SalvaPot

Same here. I wish I knew about this BEFORE he & Wii Fit Trainer were discontinued. Though hoping Namco brings the game over, seeing as they localized the Pirate Warriors & Unlimited World Red, so maybe there's a chance this'll come over as well.

I'm fairly optimistic they will bring the game over, if they localized Romance Dawn, surely localizing a Fighting game is easy. Also, the amiibo support is something that may interest NOA and help push them to bring it over.

Gimme gimme gimme.

20141231_170646_zpsahvnurev.jpg

Finally got Mac from Gamestop.
What a way to punch
out
2014!

20141231_171348_zpsvpb0pusl.jpg

And here are all of the figures I have thus far.
Will probably open all four tonight.

rjinaz

tumblr_ngcdeqeVhg1r9y691o1_500.jpg

And to think he was the one everyone was claiming was going to be in clearance.

One month in... he is the most expensive.

Actually I think Villager may have dethroned Marth in terms of most expensive, at least for US versions. Probably because it is a more popular character while Marth was preceived as niche initially causing scalpers and the like to favor Marth.

SalvaPot

Everyone thought Nintendo was going to go all in with shipments. Shame that wasn't the case.

To be honest, I'm kinda glad they were so conservative with their first shipments, the scarcity made it a true wanted item, got a lot of interest from both casual and dedicated gamers, and even the public media, and showed to both Nintendo and Retailers that there is real interest in the Nintendo Brand and its products.

Stuff like the Dual-Cannon Samus selling for the price of a car, people importing them from other markets, and the holiday frenzy made them truly valuable in a lot of people minds.

Nintendo has proven Amiibos are something the masses want, now all they need to do is make a way to make the rare ones available for the true collectors, using Club Nintendo or the Online Store to do so sounds like the best choice for official "discontinued" amiibos.

rjinaz

To be honest, I'm kinda glad they were so conservative with their first shipments, the scarcity made it a true wanted item, got a lot of interest from both casual and dedicated gamers, and even the public media, and showed to both Nintendo and Retailers that there is real interest in the Nintendo Brand and its products.

Stuff like the Dual-Cannon Samus selling for the price of a car, people importing them from other markets, and the holiday frenzy made them truly valuable in a lot of people minds.

Nintendo has proven Amiibos are something the masses want, now all they need to do is make a way to make the rare ones available for the true collectors, using Club Nintendo or the Online Store to do so sounds like the best choice for official "discontinued" amiibos.

I'm with you there. I for one am glad Nintendo is limiting stock, it's making these things more valuable and desirable. They're making money from people that would not have cared less about Marth or Villager three weeks ago.

The only thing I don't agree with though is their lack of communication. Either say you are or are not bringing them back at some point.

Kriken

tumblr_ngcdeqeVhg1r9y691o1_500.jpg

And to think he was the one everyone was claiming was going to be in clearance.

One month in... he is the most expensive.

I'm still salty that I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and then passed him up at a Wal-Mart b/c I was convinced I would be able to get him at BB instead

Gurrry

I'm with you there. I for one am glad Nintendo is limiting stock, it's making these things more valuable and desirable. They're making money from people that would not have cared less about Marth or Villager three weeks ago.

The only thing I don't agree with though is their lack of communication. Either say you are or are not bringing them back at some point.

Exactly. I gotta say, if it werent for the scarcity, theres no way Id be knee deep in 20 amiibos right now. The whole reason I jumped on board now was because I heard that more and more of them were being discontinued.

I was initially waiting for game functionality that I actually liked, but fuck it, Nintendo Infinity HAS to be coming eventually....

.... right???

rjinaz

Exactly. I gotta say, if it werent for the scarcity, theres no way Id be knee deep in 20 amiibos right now. The whole reason I jumped on board now was because I heard that more and more of them were being discontinued.

I was initially waiting for game functionality that I actually liked, but fuck it, Nintendo Infinity HAS to be coming eventually....

.... right???

Ha yeah, unless they don't like money.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now watch as SMTxFE is confirmed for amiibo support and you can use Robin, Lucina, Marth, & Ike.

.......assuming we actually HEAR about the game again....

SalvaPot

Considering they discontinued a bunch of amiibos a month into this...they clearly don't like money.

Nah, they are doing the waiting game. Their interest is on selling the figures they are producing right now, not the ones they already sold.

If they release more of the Wave 1 rare now, interest on Wave 3 will go down, since a lot of people will assume that if they are able to get restocks of Wave 1, then surely wave 3 will have restocks later on.

I'll say we will have stealth limited restocks of Wave 1, followed by a big restock once all 50 figures are released. This way people will panic and keep on buying them as soon as possible.

Is the greatest metagame man can imagine.

Got two Kirby Amiibos, one to keep in the box, one to use. One is a bit more messed up than the other. The question is, which do I take out and which do I keep boxed up?

rjinaz

Considering they discontinued a bunch of amiibos a month into this...they clearly don't like money.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that I think. The scarcity and the absence of three just increased the sales of all the other amiibos as people feared they would go out of stock too. If you're implying that if they had an ample supply of all amiibos and never had shortages they would have better sales than they do now, I don't think I can agree with that. This very thread is proof of that, so many people all of a sudden have an interest in amiibos. The collectors, importers and scalpers have arrived. Those are sales to Nintendo.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Got two Kirby Amiibos, one to keep in the box, one to use. One is a bit more messed up than the other. The question is, which do I take out and which do I keep boxed up?

oeen them both, train both to level 50 and have a fight to the death.

The loser get's smashed.

Linius

Nah, they are doing the waiting game. Their interest is on selling the figures they are producing right now, not the ones they already sold.

If they release more of the Wave 1 rare now, interest on Wave 3 will go down, since a lot of people will assume that if they are able to get restocks of Wave 1, then surely wave 3 will have restocks later on.

I'll say we will have stealth limited restocks of Wave 1, followed by a big restock once all 50 figures are released. This way people will panic and keep on buying them as soon as possible.

it worked, i bought villaer as soon as i could. sad times! But i'm happy with him.

Toki767

We'll have to agree to disagree on that I think. The scarcity and the absence of three just increased the sales of all the other amiibos as people feared they would go out of stock too. If you're implying that if they had an ample supply of all amiibos and never had shortages they would have better sales than they do now, I don't think I can agree with that. This very thread is proof of that, so many people all of a sudden have an interest in amiibos. The collectors and scalpers have arrived. Those are sales to Nintendo.

In the end, the only ones that win with Nintendo's current setup are the scalpers. Most collectors are seeming like they're basically frustrated.

Fushin

Got my Little Mac, Falcon and Samus today. Pit and WFT still in the mail from Amazon.de, Amazon FR has my Rosalina order. I tried to hold out but I just couldn't :(

rjinaz

In the end, the only ones that win with Nintendo's current setup are the scalpers. Most collectors are seeming like they're basically frustrated.

That's probably true. But then I don't think Nintendo expects people to buy all the amiibos they put out there. They are no doubt going to keep putting new models out there. You miss villager now, I bet we see another villager down the line. Most of the amiibos can be found without much trouble, especially if you stay on top of things. What Nintendo should have done is stressed the importance of preordering and hinted at limited stock.

I bet you anything most everybody interested in amiibos now has wave 3 preordered. We now know how the game is played.

SalvaPot

Not really, with wave 1 and 2, yes, scalpers have the upper hand since the limited availability was something really hard to predict, but starting from wave 3 I'm sure the production run is made to meet demand, including scalpers who have gone out of the way to buy dozens of them.

Also, most collectors have what they want or are importing them. Sure, is more expensive, but its still doable.

And Nintendo wins no matter what. 100000 Marths sold out of 100000 means they made 100% of their profit. If is scalpers or normal costumers means nothing to them, its money in their bank. Making more is a good idea in theory, but there is no reason to be hasty about it.

They're making money from people that would not have cared less about Marth or Villager three weeks ago.

My 2x Villagers, Marths and WFTs = Me guilty of this.

Dammit, Nintendo. Well, damn my stupidity for falling for the hype.

No, but seriously, crack on with the rest, Nintendo.

Velcro Fly

Seeing these Falcons and Pits being available for a few minutes here and there is starting to get tough to ignore. Come on Best Buy =/

ScouserPants

Neo Member
I wonder if I should preorder any other wave 3's. I only got Meta Knight and Mega Man from BB. I wonder how hard the rest'll be to get in store.

Fox Mulder

The early waves are fucked, but hopefully collectors preordered going forward and/or are importing instead of giving scalpers any business.

Out of the hard to find ones now, I'd really only want villager. Will probably import him with meta knight since I dont feel like messing with retailer exclusive shit.

Zombine

Banned
You know what is a good idea? If we find out that someone goes up for sale/preorder, put it in email tags. Don't even say who went up, just "quote to reveal."

Christopher

We could have a group going like a yahoo group or something where everyone just notifies there incase their are Scalpers lurking here

shanafan

Probably old news tonight, but TRU eBay sent me an e-mail that my Captain Falcon shipped. Yay!

Earlier this week, TRU eBay e-mailed me that Captain Falcon was backordered till 2/1.

I got a Caltain Falcon with that TRU link!! Aahhh thank you!!

Now I need Pit and the ones I care about in Wave 2 (CF and Pit, kinda sorta Little Mac) will be mine and I may slumber again.

Maengun1

It's fun to speculate who may be in wave 4+. I definitely think wave 4 will finish out the 3DS starting roster, which means:

- Olimar (REALLY curious to see how this amiibo looks, especially his space helmet over his head)
- Zero Suit Samus
- Charizard
- Greninja
- Palutena
- Pac Man
- Robin

So that's 7, and that might be it. We had a wave of 12, then 6, now 11 coming up, so wave 4 might be another smaller one.

But then the Wii U version had 4 extra starting characters with:

- Ness
- Jigglypuff
- Ganondorf
- Bowser Jr.

So they could be included in wave 4 as well, for another wave of 11. The 8 characters who were hidden in both versions were:

- Wario
- Falco
- Lucina
- Duck Hunt
- ROB
- Game and Watch
- Dark Pit
- Dr. Mario

I would bet on those 8 being all together in the final wave, possibly with Mewtwo as well since the DLC will be out in spring

Velcro Fly

Same here. I feel like they have been preparing to ship since Dec. 26th. Just put them (nicely) in a box and ship em.

Yep I woke up the day after Christmas and they were preparing order. Can't cancel and have no idea if/when they will ship. I'm tempted to find Pit and Falcon on my own and just cancel my remaining preorders and ditch Best Buy entirely. I've tried being patient but locking me into an order and then not shipping it to me is fucking awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom