• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

BajiRav

Looks like there is some confusion around this so let me try again.

ANY headset will plug into the adapter and work. There is no proprietary connector.

If you have a stereo headset, you get stereo game audio

If you have a chat headset, you get game chat.

If you want to have Game/Chat mixed through the controller, you need one of the new headsets.

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

Things get more confusing when you talk about all the legacy headsets in the market for Xbox 360. But just talking about the adapter, it works exactly as you would expect.

Maybe I should have marketing do a grid.

Edit: I talked with Larry and he's also updated is post. http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-headset-adapter-details/

May be you should change the marketing people? They can't to do even simple things properly.

Bradf50

What a cluster f**k. Come on MS it's not that difficult to explain a cheap ass adapter (it's a rip off...). That bulleted list you did Albert should have been there on the web page in the first place. Many just want to use something like a set of iPhone ear buds for example, and would like to know if it will transmit audio/chat. Instead we get a load of mixed responses. :/

Oppo

So my million dollar question:

Can I watch TV, Netflix, etc using my Headphones then? Any audio that comes over my TV with my Xbox now (say, Xbox Music is snapped and I'm playing BF4.. will I get that mix over the headset?)

If the answer to this is yes, I will be very very happy.

Watching Netflix late at night with headphones plugged into the controller has been an unexpected bonus, it's fantastic.

I sort of can't believe no one has put it in a remote control unit yet.

Watching Netflix late at night with headphones plugged into the controller has been an unexpected bonus, it's fantastic.

Roku does it now, started with their Roku 3 model. It's pretty goddamn slick.

bananas

Banned

Roku did it a couple a years ago I believe...

VanWinkle

Roku does it, and of course, now PS4. It's a great feature.

When you have to make the decision between complicated controller firmware updates OR bricked controllers, maybe you screwed up the hardware design.

molnizzle

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

For future reference, those types of headsets are the first ones anyone thinks of because they're so common. Especially considering that you can just buy one of these and use your old headset as well. Which is exactly what the average NeoGAF poster would do before throwing down another $80+ on something new. Obviously.

Regardless, this is good. The adapters will in fact work like everyone expects them to work. Microsoft's PR and messaging remain as utterly fucked as always, but at least they did something right with hardware for once.

Next up, Penello: USB chat. Having to plug into my controller if I want to use voice chat is peasant shit. Sony's offered this functionality for the entire last generation and continues to in this one. Shouldn't the "All in One" console at least be able to match its main competitor regarding headsets and voice chat? For supposedly being "All in One," I sure seem to be needing a bunch of new add-on bullshit just to make the Xbone work they way I want it to work.

xemumanic

This would be a great solution for the PC as well...........whenever MS gets around to releasing the PC drivers.

I was thinking the other day that the 360 chat headphone jack would work as an unfortunately mono (I think) audio device (which means its useless). Hopefully the PC drivers for the Xbox One pad at least provide stereo, Razer's software (as well as other solutions) can provide the HRTF for virtual surround.

Lima

Next up, Penello: USB chat. Having to plug into my controller if I want to use voice chat is peasant shit. Sony's offered this functionality for the entire last generation and continues to in this one. Shouldn't the "All in One" console at least be able to match its main competitor regarding headsets and voice chat? For supposedly being "All in One," I sure seem to be needing a bunch of new add-on bullshit just to make the Xbone work they way I want it to work.

Because being wired to the console is better than plugging it in your controller. What am I reading?

Because being wired to the console is better than plugging it in your controller. What am I reading?

I am sure he meant the Gold Headset which has USB wireless dongle, so you don't need to plug the headset into anything, chat and game audio are both wirelessly transmitted.

Regardless, this is good. The adapters will in fact work like everyone expects them to work. Microsoft's PR and messaging remain as utterly fucked as always, but at least they did something right with hardware for once.
If they'd actually done something right with the hardware, the messaging wouldn't be necessary. The right thing (for the customer) would be to include a normal, non-proprietary jack on the controller.

Why do you have to use an adapter instead? So that, even if you don't buy one of the new, officially-licensed headsets, Microsoft can still collect the equivalent of licensing fees on hardware you already own. The adapter certainly costs them much less to make than $25, so the overage is pocketed.

If they want to force everybody to pay for this functionality, I have a profit-maximizing tip for them. Why spend any money at all on designing a proprietary jack, and manufacturing/distributing adapters? Just put a standard jack in the controller...and then charge $10 per console to activate it through the controller firmware.

cakely

Their messaging was bad: it took many pages of threads and multiple Albert posts, but it looks like the Xbox One adapter does exactly what we hoped it would: It adds a 3.5mm jack that can carry game audio and chat.

It's too bad that it's a $25 add-on, but it's at least what we wanted.

neurophd

Would it be technically possible to have X1 audio play through SmartGlass? Might be a nice alternative while listening to movies/TV.

CoG

Would it be technically possible to have X1 audio play through SmartGlass? Might be a nice alternative while listening to movies/TV.

Technically sure. The better question is how much is the in-app purchase to enable the functionally?

JaggedSac

So it looks like Amazon has the Polk headset moved back to Feb 14th from Mar 7th, anyone see the same anywhere else for the other headsets? Gamestop and the MS store still have the Polk at Mar.

TRios Zen

So it looks like Amazon has the Polk headset moved back to Feb 14th from Mar 7th, anyone see the same anywhere else for the other headsets? Gamestop and the MS store still have the Polk at Mar.

I have these pre-ordered; on the product page it says Feb 14th (original date) but on my order page it says "we'll notify when we have an estimated ship date" or some such. Sadly I think I'll be waiting longer than this Friday for them.

Well, this definitely puts it to rest (Penello already did yesterday, but this is the first time both him and another piece of MS PR have been on the same page completely.)

Take it back, fan made info-graphic.

So will I get both game audio and game chat on my Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 with the adapter or no? I'm still confused.

Nope, only chat audio through the adapter.

That is ridiculous. Why on earth do they need to update the controller to get their proprietary port to talk to an adapter that's plugged into it? So before this update, they basically included a port that has no function? Wouldn't surprise me given how rushed other aspects of the console are, but still...

Guessing it was buggy (which is why the headset adapter was delayed in the first place) and this is a patch to fix the controller's firmware

JaggedSac

I have these pre-ordered; on the product page it says Feb 14th (original date) but on my order page it says "we'll notify when we have an estimated ship date" or some such. Sadly I think I'll be waiting longer than this Friday for them.

Yeah, you are probably right. I was just curious since it was a change from yesterday which had it at March 7th.

JaggedSac

Hmm... that's unfortunate. Well, I was thinking of maybe getting a new headset anyways. This month's paycheck better be good...

What is the current setup for your headset? Do you have a cable going to the 360 and also the controller? If so, the adaptor will work for you.

So the question is:

Will my new PlayStation Pulse Gold Headset work on Xbox One with this shit?

Does it have a 3.5mm jack like Pulse Elites? If so, you can just connect it to the controller adapter using regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and it should work.

Released in the next quarter for $24.99 but you'll need an ear wireless headset adaptor released at the same time for $19.95.

Ok cool. I'd just rather not have a brick on my ear. Having to use an adaptor is ridiculous though. I don't get the thinking behind the Xbox One. They took things that made the 360 convenient and a joy to use and ditched them in favor of an overly complicated system.

Top Bottom