• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

Foxix Von

Well there are actually benefits to not using a built-in battery. Some people like me have loads of Eneloops constantly charged that we can switch in at any time; no need to go wired when your controller suddenly loses charge while you're gaming. Also you don't have to toss your controller when a built in battery dies.

This adapter though, there are no upsides to this except that you have a dumb extra weight attached to your controller that does everything half-assed. Not to mention we are giving MS and whichever retailer this adapter sells at nearly pure profit. Building this POS into the controller adds negligible cost to the controller.

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion further but, so you know PS3 controller batteries are user replaceable and it's quite easy to do.

As for everything else, yeah I agree. This is a complete scam, although I do prefer the convenience of built in batteries though.

I guess I'd be more outraged if I hadn't already come to expect this kind of behavior out of the company. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't go the route of blocking out non licensed headphones for simultaneous game/chat audio.

Talk about some confusing shit. Don't really understand why iPhone-style headsets work and others don't though, but w/e. (I guess if we're being nit-picky he didn't explicitly say they worked, just that they weren't blocked, but I think it's safe to say it's just a quirkily worded statement)

VanWinkle

Looks like there is some confusion around this so let me try again.

ANY headset will plug into the adapter and work. There is no proprietary connector.

If you have a stereo headset, you get stereo game audio

If you have a chat headset, you get game chat.

If you want to have Game/Chat mixed through the controller, you need one of the new headsets.

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

Things get more confusing when you talk about all the legacy headsets in the market for Xbox 360. But just talking about the adapter, it works exactly as you would expect.

Maybe I should have marketing do a grid.

Edit: I talked with Larry and he's also updated is post. http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-headset-adapter-details/

Okay, so, you say "if you have a stereo headset you'll get game audio [but not chat]" and later said if you already have a stereo headset that mixes chat and audio, that will work. If that's the case, what you do you mean by "stereo headset" on the first part? Because "headset" implies chat and audio, while "headphones" would be audio only.

"we really want you to buy our new headset, or use your existing Xbox 360 headsets, so we're not gonna spend too much time talking about random cell phone headsets you have lying around, since we're not gonna bother testing those in-house. But they should in theory work for simultaneous chat and game audio. Maybe. Please don't complain to me if they don't!"

Krakn3Dfx

I don't understand how this can be done, what kind of magic has the official headset inside to allow game audio???

The magic of money.
200_s.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
LOL........you can make one so easily for like $5 using your current headset......what a rip. I have had a headset adapter for 2 months already!

The trolling doesn't really help the confusion.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty confused about this. It seems more PCesque than console style of it just working, but that's with the tradeoff of less proprietary measures, I suppose

And I really don't think Penello should be here again after all that nonsense last time

ps3ud0

I dont know if I should be shocked any more how poorly MS communicate the simplest of ideas. Really easy to have little faith in what they push because of it...

ps3ud0 8)

def sim

Not going to lie, I'm pretty confused about this. It seems more PCesque than console style of it just working, but that's with the tradeoff of less proprietary measures, I suppose

And I really don't think Penello should be here again after all that nonsense last time

It's the way their documentation and PR explained it. It's just a 3.5mm adapter so it should work as the PS4 controller does.

VanWinkle

It's the way their documentation and PR explained it. It's just a 3.5mm adapter so it should work as the PS4 controller does.

But where it's confusing is he says if you have a stereo headset (headset implying chat and audio), only game audio will work. But if you have a stereo headset that already mixes chat and audio, that will work fine. What does this mean?

JaggedSac

But where it's confusing is he says if you have a stereo headset (headset implying chat and audio), only game audio will work. But if you have a stereo headset that already mixes chat and audio, that will work fine. What does this mean?

He probably should have said headphones for that part.

Wait, so you cannot simply plug in a 3.5mm headset into the controller like you can with the DS4?

Lol. Yes, you can.

ViciousDS

Banned

they didn't explain that full either as it needs to be more than a 3.5mm adapter.............you must make sure the connection uses a 4 pole connection not a 3 pole otherwise you will only get audio one way or nothing at all. Normal PC uses 3 hence the reason why there is two separate inputs for microphone and headphones.

Their PR still didn't explain everything XD

Pollux

"they don't just release a patch that allows optical gaming headsets to work with Xbox one."

Can you explain to me what you're asking for? Which headset? What scenario are you asking about. I'm serious not sarcastic.

So the wireless Turtle Beach headsets coming out in march will allow me to get in game audio and party chat?

JaggedSac

So this adapter is only needed if you want to make use of chat functionality? If so I really do not see why there is that much outrage.

LOL. Wait, sorry, I was assuming you meant into the adapter. Otherwise, no you cannot. There was confusion about what 3.5mm headsets would work with the adapter.

they didn't explain that full either as it needs to be more than a 3.5mm adapter.............you must make sure the connection uses a 4 pole connection not a 3 pole otherwise you will only get audio one way or nothing at all. Normal PC uses 3 hence the reason why there is two separate inputs for microphone and headphones.

MS PR should hire GAF posters to go over their shit before releasing it.

another fun design flaw:

"The Stereo Headset Adapter doesn’t know if you’re using your headset just for chat or for all audio, so TV audio is not automatically muted when you’re using the adapter. You must manually adjust your TV audio volume."

source: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/stereo-headset-adapter

flaw? that's actually the best part of this whole debacle.

i can't use a headset with my PS4 because it mutes the audio output elsewhere which means no audio when i record with my LGP.

PS4 needs an option to output audio everywhere like PS3 did.

def sim

It's the same as the PS4 controller, no? A three pole wouldn't input mic chat on either the xbox adapter or DS4.

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

when you say 'also work', do you mean two way chat audio (send/receive), game audio or everything (speaking, hearing voice chat and also game audio) combined?

VanWinkle

flaw? that's actually the best part of this whole debacle.

i can't use a headset with my PS4 because it mutes the audio output elsewhere which means no audio when i record with my LGP.

PS4 needs an option to output audio everywhere like PS3 did.

So...why would you want headphones and speakers outputting at the same time?

Munki

So basically, I will not be able to get both game/chat audio using my Astro A40's with this new adaptor. Correct?

Looks like there is some confusion around this so let me try again.

ANY headset will plug into the adapter and work. There is no proprietary connector.

If you have a stereo headset, you get stereo game audio

If you have a chat headset, you get game chat.

If you want to have Game/Chat mixed through the controller, you need one of the new headsets.

Things get more confusing when you talk about all the legacy headsets in the market for Xbox 360. But just talking about the adapter, it works exactly as you would expect.

Maybe I should have marketing do a grid.

Edit: I talked with Larry and he's also updated is post. http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-headset-adapter-details/

Albert, the part that I bolded is the MOST important part. This is what 99.99% of people who buy the stereo headset adapter will be using it for. This should have been the first thing mentioned when talking about the stereo headset adapter. It still isn't clearly mentioned in Major's post.

Unfortunately this is a very similar pattern to what happened when the Xbox One was revealed-- not talking about the things that people care about in favour of marketing points that aren't really that important to most people (re: DRM, family sharing, etc)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
it's a firmware update to support a new feature. what's so fuckworthy about it?

Ive never heard or even imagined needing to update a controllers firmware.

It is a little strange be honest, i mean id think simply plugging the thing in and having the latest Xbox One update would be enoguh, but the controller needs its own seperate update.....and every controller I own that i want to use the headset with will need an update too.......thats unheard of, no way you saw this coming i refuse to believe you expected this.

sangreal

Lots of magic to go around.

1133309606.jpg

lots of money too

Q And the Omni N, you said, was the wireless adapter that
provides 802.11n functionality?
A Yes.

Q Now, this one has a cost of goods sold that indicates it's
around $14.97. Do you see that?
A Yes.

Q So a little more expensive than the internal module?
A Yes.

Q More than twice the cost?
A Yeah.

Q Okay.

Q So the costs of goods for the Omni N were estimated at
this time to be around $15?
A Yes.

Q If you look further down the column you'll see a row for
revenue. Do you see that?
A Yes.

Q And the expected retail price was going to be $99.99?
A Correct.

Q And below that there's an entry for GM, is that gross
margin?
A That is gross margin

Q And the number next to that is $88 million, plus; is that
correct?

A Yes.

Q So that was the expected gross margin for this add-on
adapter?
A I don't remember the scenario in which that number would
come from. But that was like a lifetime gross margin over
some number of years.

Q But an expected margin, nonetheless?
A Projected, yeah.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So my million dollar question:

Can I watch TV, Netflix, etc using my Headphones then? Any audio that comes over my TV with my Xbox now (say, Xbox Music is snapped and I'm playing BF4.. will I get that mix over the headset?)

If the answer to this is yes, I will be very very happy.

So my million dollar question:

Can I watch TV, Netflix, etc using my Headphones then? Any audio that comes over my TV with my Xbox now (say, Xbox Music is snapped and I'm playing BF4.. will I get that mix?)

... why... why did none of us think of this before? o.0

Top Bottom