• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

$25 to add a headphone jack to your $60 controller.

Seems questionable.
tumblr_m4n1a232qi1r44q7k%5B1%5D.gif

but it's better than nothing. fuck the principle of the matter now, I just want to be able to pump all my audio through the controller.

No, apparently not.

but Albert just said,

"If you purchase just the headset adapter, you can use any 3.5mm Stereo Headset and get in-game audio directly from the controller. "

So just about any 3.5mm headset should work. Similar to the PS4's controller atm.

Tonezorz

It's a standard 3.5MM connector, which means that really any headset with a mic will work, correct?

Glad this is finally coming out. Hopefully they're not too back ordered to get one when they do ship, because the amount of people who will want this for Titanfall is going to be through the roof.

Can't wait.

Actually, it won't. Seems to be proprietary. With a standard 3.5mm connector with mic, you'll have to be either voice or game audio, but not both.

cakely

I'm still confused as to why the $25 adaptor doesn't allow you to receive game audio mixed with game chat, like the 3.5mm TRS adaptor on the Dual Shock 4 and the Wii U controllers.

Game audio is there, though, so that is nice.

if you want only chat audio through any 3.5mm headset - you can use the adapter

if you want only game audio through any 3.5mm headset - you can use the adapter

if you want simultaneous chat and game audio through a headset - either buy one of the newer headsets, or use an older headset in the Xbox 360 way (hooking up to optical/stereo ports on TV in addition to the adapter on the controller).

and surround audio via optical for older headsets is a separate issue to be patched later

this seems to sum it up...I think.

Tonezorz

but Albert just said,

"If you purchase just the headset adapter, you can use any 3.5mm Stereo Headset and get in-game audio directly from the controller. "

So just about any 3.5mm headset should work. Similar to the PS4's controller atm.

But not for both, game-chat AND in-game audio. So no, its not like the PS4's controller.

Wereroku

Looking at this, I think I can use my V-Moda headset with the BoomPro mic.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset

I hope this is the case, I asked for it for my Christmas gift assuming that I could use the adapter and mic without any issues.

Looking over the website you may be a bit screwed. You can use those headphones and mic for chat but not game audio. For legacy headsets the only way to get game and chat audio is to pull it from two different sources.

Huh. Interesting. I'll take the in-game audio then. Not sure why it wouldn't do both at the same time. Shouldn't be a technical reasons. Maybe that'll come in a future update.

Probably like apple and non standard plug configurations. Try connecting ipod headphones into a ps4 controller apparently it causes horrid feedback.

JaggedSac

if you want simultaneous chat and game audio through a headset - either buy one of the newer headsets, or use an older headset in the Xbox 360 way (hooking up to optical/stereo ports on TV in addition to the adapter on the controller).

and surround audio via optical for older headsets is a separate issue to be patched later

Yep

what is the reasoning behind the proprietary headset connector on the XB1 controller?

So they can licensed it for 3rd party vendor or make you buy Official Microsoft Xbox One headset. There really is no other reason.

The fact that you have to buy this $25 dongle thing just to use your own headset just tell you the mindset of the Xbox team. This dongle should be price at $10 at best.

kmg90

I've never seen so much confusion over a simple controller attachment... Can't tell if it's Microsoft's fault or is it too earlier to clarify what it actually can do.

Good news. Was excited about this when it was first announced, glad the details are finally ironed out. May have to get one of the Polk headphones if I need game chat, but for now I'll stick to my Sennheisers for game audio.

outsida

I'm wondering if a y adapter that runs both game audio and the mic to the headset will work. Similar to the one that came with my astro mix amp.

Jomjom

Banned
This adapter is stupid. Hopefully they eventually just roll out a controller revision that builds it in like the DS4 and doesn't require you to do dumb things like muting your TV volume.

Also $25 is a complete rip off. Having worked for a manufacturer for Xbox 360 products in the past, this thing cost $3-5 to make at maximum.

Sanjuro

I don't believe the game/chat audio is proprietary. We are just talking about the thicker 3.5mm jack that supports chat audio. Almost all of the 360 exclusive headsets had no need for this.

So, if it works on a cell phone/PS4, should work here.

level44

This adapter is stupid. Hopefully they eventually just roll out a controller revision that builds it in like the DS4 and doesn't require you to do dumb things like muting your TV volume.

But then they couldn't sell this accessory to you for $25....

Tonezorz

I don't believe the game/chat audio is proprietary. We are just talking about the thicker 3.5mm jack that supports chat audio. Almost all of the 360 exclusive headsets had no need for this.

So, if it works on a cell phone/PS4, should work here.

They have specifically said, by detailing all the things that DO work, that this method you describe will NOT work. They won't just come out and say it however, which is silly at this point.

If they're going to make this stupid decision than just lean into it, and save us all the time of reading between the lines.

Sanjuro

They have specifically said, by detailing all the things that DO work, that this method you describe will NOT work. They won't just come out and say it however, which is silly at this point.

If they're going to make this stupid decision than just lean into it, and save us all the time of reading between the lines.

You could be right. It's just harder to pack proprietary features into that jack when dealing with specific audio sources.

What we do know now is that all of the headsets that are made exclusively to work with this will work with cell phones.

Tonezorz

You could be right. It's just harder to pack proprietary features into that jack when dealing with specific audio sources.

I'm curious why they don't show us a picture of the plug end of that new microsoft headset that includes this adapter.

Foxix Von

Also $25 is a complete rip off. Having worked for a manufacturer for Xbox 360 products in the past, this thing cost $3-5 to make at maximum.

Just like they released controller revisions with a built in battery last gen, right?

But really I wouldn't count on it. At best I'd expect they might bundle a headset adapter and play and charge kit together with a controller and shave a little off the price for around maybe 85-100 bucks.

Looks like there is some confusion around this so let me try again.

ANY headset will plug into the adapter and work. There is no proprietary connector.

If you have a stereo headset, you get stereo game audio

If you have a chat headset, you get game chat.

If you want to have Game/Chat mixed through the controller, you need one of the new headsets.

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

Things get more confusing when you talk about all the legacy headsets in the market for Xbox 360. But just talking about the adapter, it works exactly as you would expect.

Maybe I should have marketing do a grid.

Edit: I talked with Larry and he's also updated is post. http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-headset-adapter-details/

xx westin xx

Neo Member

ANY headset will plug into the adapter and work. There is no proprietary connector.

If you want to have Game/Chat mixed through the controller, you need one of the new headsets.

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

Things get more confusing when you talk about all the legacy headsets in the market for Xbox 360. But just talking about the adapter, it works exactly as you would expect.

So my Bose In ear should work? They do chat on my iPhone

mrklaw

MrArseFace

no it doesn't.

To connect your headset for chat audio, connect the cable to the Stereo Headset Adapter using the 2.5-mm-to-3.5-mm adapter cable included with the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter. Press the chat audio button (see illustration below) on the Stereo Headset Adapter until you hear only chat audio

ok, fine so far.

To connect your headset for in-game audio, connect the headset to the audio output on the TV, monitor, or console. The audio volume will be controlled using the headset’s controls

doh. Back to square one. Clearly for game audio it is literally 'plug it into your TV'

JaggedSac

Ok, that is good to hear and makes sense.

def sim

Ok, this makes much more sense.

MCD

Edit: I talked with Larry and he's also updated is post. http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-headset-adapter-details/

Perhaps you can ask your team to do a chat/audio compatibility list for existing X360 headsets.

As long as it makes better sense than what was originally posted then tha w uld work.

I think a grid would be a good idea. ;) Thanks for the clarification as your previous post excluded the case (headset that mixes chat/audio today )that most people, including myself were concerned about.

Edit: Larry's post edit is still confusing in that he doesn't say what you said above about headsets that mix chat/audio today.

Sanjuro

O66sxPo.jpg'

For people that aren't familiar, this is what you're basically looking at.

- Left 3.5mm supports audio/microphone. Used on cell phone headsets and headphones with microphones.

- Right 3.5mm is audio only. Used for headphones.

Both will work. 3.5mm on the right will not carry any sort of microphone support.

Jomjom

Banned
Just like they released controller revisions with a built in battery last gen, right?

But really I wouldn't count on it. At best I'd expect they might bundle a headset adapter and play and charge kit together with a controller and shave a little off the price for around maybe 85-100 bucks.

Well there are actually benefits to not using a built-in battery. Some people like me have loads of Eneloops constantly charged that we can switch in at any time; no need to go wired when your controller suddenly loses charge while you're gaming. Also you don't have to toss your controller when a built in battery dies.

This adapter though, there are no upsides to this except that you have a dumb extra weight attached to your controller that does everything half-assed. Not to mention we are giving MS and whichever retailer this adapter sells at nearly pure profit. Building this POS into the controller adds negligible cost to the controller.

VanWinkle

O66sxPo.jpg'

- Left 3.5mm supports audio/microphone. Used on cell phone headsets and headphones with microphones.

Both will work. 3.5mm on the right will not carry any sort of microphone support.

Didn't Albert say neither would work for chat unless you buy the new official headset or a new licensed third party headset?

Edit: Or maybe not. Man, this is even more confusing now.

That seems pretty straightforward. Thanks for the clarification.

So this is pretty much exactly like the PS4 if I understand correctly. Any 3.5 mm headphones with a mic will play both game audio and chat audio like they do on phones.

Wereroku

O66sxPo.jpg'

Good times that make a hell of a lot more sense with how things work now. However that was the worst explanation I have ever seen without Albert we wouldn't have any idea of how it really worked.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

this sounds nice and clear. You could ask your web guys to look at the care pages and press release because the info on there pretty much says the opposite of this - saying chat audio only, game audio comes out of your TV. In several places

Didn't make logical sense, hence the confusion.

So a set of normal headphones will get full game audio in stereo through the controller? Is there any way to choose whether you get game chat audio (i.e your friends voices) or just the game soundtrack, or a mix of both - using normal headphones?

A chat headset - one that uses a 4-pole 3.5mm connector will also work, and let you talk to your friends with the headset mic, and relay voice back to you? How about game audio?

Miroslav

So it works as the ds4 then. If you plug a 3 pole 3.5mm audio jack you get both ingame audio and chat audio.

EDIT: 3 or 4 pole, I mean the one that has three stripes

Foxix Von

So my Bose In ear should work? They do chat on my iPhone
If they're designed specifically for iPhone they should probably work. Assuming, though that the port on the adapter is standard and not an iPhone variant you'll probably be outputting a very annoying hissing tone through your mic due to incompatibilities.

cakely

O66sxPo.jpg'

The technical term for the "Left" jack is a TRS jack, which stands for "Tip, Ring, Sleeve".

Top Bottom