• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

JaggedSac

Your normal headphones/headsets will receive game audio when plugged into this adapter, but not chat abilities. If you want to have both, you need to be a new specially made headset.

Interesting. So headphones that can do both audio and voice but are not one of the new ones, will not work? How do these new headsets work with voice on phones and tablets then?

I know, just pointing out that you missed that part of the page. (as in, if Penello had never come, we still wouldn't know anything for sure just from that page you posted.

Ah, yeah, I saw that, but figured it was talking about certain headsets.

Shin-Ra

$25 is a lot for something (3.5mm TRRS port) that could simply have been built into the controllers.

The Xbox Wire post is worded strangely.

If you purchase just the headset adapter, you can use any 3.5mm Stereo Headset and get in-game audio directly from the controller.

You can also use existing chat headsets for game chat – this includes the old 360 headset, or one of the aftermarket chat headsets that were available.

To do both game stereo and game chat with the same headset, through the controller, you need either our new headset or one of the ones coming from third parties.

The point about plugging into the back of the console is referring to the legacy gaming headsets that used optical for game audio. Those will still need to connect through the back of the console, but will work just as they did on Xbox 360.

And yes, before you ask, 5.1 is coming. I don’t control when this stuff gets announced, but it’s coming for sure.
Lots of gamers looking forward to a 30/70% game/chat audio balance.

teiresias

The bolded seem counter to one another.

Huh? He didn't post above me. And what you posted is only true for certain headsets.

They're not counter. If you have a non-official or non-licensed headset and plug it into the adapter you can get in-game audio, but no chat.

You're forced to buy an official or licensed headset to get both in-game audio and chat at the same time through the adapter because of . . . reasons.

So my XP400s came with the ear force xba bluetooth adaptors. That won't work with this for chat, right? I already get stereo game sound out of the optical.

JaggedSac

They're not counter. If you have a non-official or non-licensed headset and plug it into the adapter you can get in-game audio, but no chat.

You're forced to buy an official or licensed headset to get both in-game audio and chat at the same time through the adapter because of . . . reasons.

Yeah, it seems that is the case. That is completely fucked. Luckily, I will be getting my first set of gaming cans and will be unaffected, but this is certainly a dick move it seems.

Sanjuro

So my XP400s came with the ear force xba bluetooth adaptors. That won't work with this for chat, right? I already get stereo game sound out of the optical.

I would say Microsoft will never release a bluetooth adapter of any sort, so no.

I read somewhere people were doing mods for it? So possibly that or something third party down the road.

If you purchase just the headset adapter, you can use any 3.5mm Stereo Headset and get in-game audio directly from the controller.

You can also use existing chat headsets for game chat – this includes the old 360 headset, or one of the aftermarket chat headsets that were available.

To do both game stereo and game chat with the same headset, through the controller, you need either our new headset or one of the ones coming from third parties.

The point about plugging into the back of the console is referring to the legacy gaming headsets that used optical for game audio. Those will still need to connect through the back of the console, but will work just as they did on Xbox 360.

And yes, before you ask, 5.1 is coming. I don’t control when this stuff gets announced, but it’s coming for sure.

What about the messenger pad? :D

geordiemp

Albert, I just don't get if MS are going for the hardcore gamer they don't just release a patch that allows optical gaming headsets to work with Xbox one.

You can easily spend a few hundred on such a headphone system and more, and they are vastly superior to stereo only - its like going back to Ps2 days in audio....

Albert, I just don't get if MS are going for the hardcore gamer they don't just release a patch that allows optical gaming headsets to work with Xbox one.

You can easily spend a few hundred on such a headphone system and more, and they are vastly superior to stereo only - its like going back to Ps2 days in audio....

"they don't just release a patch that allows optical gaming headsets to work with Xbox one."

Can you explain to me what you're asking for? Which headset? What scenario are you asking about. I'm serious not sarcastic.

Veive257

Neo Member

Odd.. because this is on http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/stereo-headset-adapter

"The very early editions of the Xbox 360 Headset with the following adapter will not work due to the design of the connector."

So Ms is going to release their biggest game of the year, and we are stuck playing in Stereo, unless we buy Titan Fall for the 360 ? Who is making these decisions ?

I would say Microsoft will never release a bluetooth adapter of any sort, so no.

I read somewhere people were doing mods for it? So possibly that or something third party down the road.
I figured as much. I don't chat much online so it's not a big deal (the DD5.1 over optical is far more important). I think for me it's best to give this a few months, see how it all shakes out, and see what kind of options we have for PS4/XB1 headphones at the end of the year.

geordiemp

"they don't just release a patch that allows optical gaming headsets to work with Xbox one."

Can you explain to me what you're asking for? Which headset? What scenario are you asking about. I'm serious not sarcastic.

Astro gaming headset, and most that use a mix amp

So you have dolby 5.1 optical into mix amp
And USB (chat) into mix amp

This then goes to headphones - most dolby 5.1 true surround headhones use this method. It mixes the chat / Dolby 5.1 and creates a virtual 360 deg sound stage not simple left / right or front back experience.

It works on my Ps3, Xbox 360, Ps4. It is vastly superior to just stereo.

I am trying to be constructive, the new Ps4 gold headset while 7.1 also does not use the optical out plus proper 360 deg mixing and so you get the left / right / front back switch effect that is not all around you...Hope that describes it best.

Sanjuro

I figured as much. I don't chat much online so it's not a big deal (the DD5.1 over optical is far more important). I think for me it's best to give this a few months, see how it all shakes out, and see what kind of options we have for PS4/XB1 headphones at the end of the year.

I'm using the Turtle Beach PX22 at the moment. Picked them up for $50 at Best Buy. They are wired, but versatile.

JaggedSac

This then goes to headphones - most dolby 5.1 true surround headhones use this method. It mixes the chat / Dolby 5.1 and creates a virtual 360 deg sound stage not simple left / right or front back experience.

How many drivers per ear do those headphones have?

Yes, this scenario requires the DD 5.1 update, which is coming.

Ubersnug

Don't know if anyone else took note, but it seems the Xone controllers seem to be able to take software updates - unless I'm reading it wrong...

Stereo Headset Adapter isn’t working

If your Stereo Headset Adapter isn’t functioning well, check the following:

Have you updated your controller’s software to support the Stereo Headset Adapter?

Does that mean, the pad has its own firmware? Perhaps updatable to give visual cues to when batteries are almost depleted and system notifications?

geordiemp

How many drivers per ear do those headphones have?

2 - but you don't understand, the mix amp creates a 360 deg virtual effect.

For example, in COD ghosts I can hear footsteps and know exactly where an enemy is coming from, to within a maybe 10 degrees.

You cannot do that with multiple speaker headsets or stereo only or 7.1

Go read a few reviews of virtual surround sound such as Astro A40 / A50 and the mix amp - or equivalents from turtle beach etc (the more expensive ones)

people have different preferences for headsets (more / less bass / heavy / light / open / closed cup)....BUT the important thing is mixing of the dolby 5.1 before the headphones..

PS once you tried them most other methods sound imprecise directionally. It really is amazing

Thanks Albert. I figured as much and that's a big win for many of us. Something about the wording didn't seem right.

Maybe now some of us (who shall remain nameless but have the most posts in the thread) who've been talking like they already had all the answers will kindly shuffle off now.

Cartman86

Banned
Don't know if anyone else took note, but it seems the Xone controllers seem to be able to take software updates - unless I'm reading it wrong...

Does that mean, the pad has its own firmware? Perhaps updatable to give visual cues to when batteries are almost depleted and system notifications?

Yep. There are detailed instructions on that page on how to upgrade the controllers firmware.

JaggedSac

2 - but you don't understand, the mix amp creates a 360 deg virtual effect.

For example, in COD ghosts I can hear footsteps and know exactly where an enemy is coming from, to within a maybe 10 degrees.

You cannot do that with multiple speaker headsets or stereo only or 7.1

Go read a few reviews of virtual surround sound such as Astro A40 / A50 and the mix amp - or equivalents from turtle beach etc (the more expensive ones)

people have different preferences for headsets (more / less bass / heavy / light / open / closed cup)....BUT the important thing is mixing of the dolby 5.1 before the headphones..

I know what the mix amp is doing. It is creating a stereo signal(from a surround signal) to be sent to the headphones but with various affects applied to make it appear as though sound is coming from various directions. Which is what the Bone is doing with its surround signal before sending it to the controller in stereo, apparently, at least according to a Polk engineer. I guess you might prefer Dolby's solution to whatever the Bone is doing from an algorithm standpoint though so at that point the 5.1 update would be nice for you.

Veive257

Neo Member

Yes, and the controllers need to be updated manually to use the adapter:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/update-controller-for-stereo-headset-adapter

I wonder if the play&charge controllers self-update when connected via USB.

what is the reasoning behind the proprietary headset connector on the XB1 controller?

Flexibility with regard to future products, I assume. You never know what sorts of contraptions they may dream up to use there. Remember the 360 controller keyboard? Only having a headphone jack precludes that possibility. The better question is: why not have a headphone jack *next to* a proprietary jack? I believe that's how the PS4's controller is designed.

Now that you've found GAF again perhaps now might be a good time to address your claims made prior to the Xbox One launch?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Thanks Albert. I figured as much and that's a big win for many of us. Something about the wording didn't seem right.

Maybe now some of us (who shall remain nameless but have the most posts in the thread) who've been talking like they already had all the answers will kindly shuffle off now.

Looking at this, I think I can use my V-Moda headset with the BoomPro mic.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset

I hope this is the case, I asked for it for my Christmas gift assuming that I could use the adapter and mic without any issues.

Krakn3Dfx

$25 to add a headphone jack to your $60 controller.

Seems questionable.
tumblr_m4n1a232qi1r44q7k%5B1%5D.gif

Fair enough. I'll let PR PR.

That said, the new headset looks sharp.

PR is actually what we need in this topic since the wording on their articles was so poorly written.

edit: This adapter SHOULD ideally be sold at cost, but we all know that isn't how business works unfortunately. $25 seems like a bit high, no?

Dandalf

Neo Member
It's a standard 3.5MM connector, which means that really any headset with a mic will work, correct?

Glad this is finally coming out. Hopefully they're not too back ordered to get one when they do ship, because the amount of people who will want this for Titanfall is going to be through the roof.

Can't wait.

JaggedSac

It's a standard 3.5MM connector, which means that really any headset with a mic will work, correct?

Glad this is finally coming out. Hopefully they're not too back ordered to get one when they do ship, because the amount of people who will want this for Titanfall is going to be through the roof.

Can't wait.

No, apparently not.

Top Bottom