• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump protest planned for Toronto, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus.

What a silly protest. Worry about Canadian politics and fight for things that affect your lives daily.

With a Liberal majority for the time being, Canada will continue its fight for progressive choices.

Toronto, and Canada as a whole, prepare yourselves...

w4y9ZPE.png

Look at it like this, folks. You're in an RPG, and the UK and US are two guidebooks telling you about a big scary superboss about to fuck your shit up. You have an hour to do some grinding, don't squander it.

What a silly protest over Brexit. Worry about American politics and fight for things that affect your lives daily.

With a Democrat President for the time being, America will continue its fight for progressive choices.

Not that I'm not more confident in Canada's grasp on multiculturalism, but let's not be foolish here.

Canadians sure as hell should raise a fuss.

Zips

Not that I'm not more confident in Canada's grasp on multiculturalism, but let's not be foolish here.

Canadians sure as hell should raise a fuss.

Clock is ticking on that electoral reform to keep the Conservative party from taking over with a minority of the vote.

They are assuredly going to approach the next election using Trump tactics. How much they dogwhistle and otherwise veil their comments in fear of offending the Canadian electorate like Harper did is another question.

I absolutely agree these protests should go on and help show the politicians here that they will not be accepted for far-right ideas and tactics. Anything to raise awareness to the general public of the danger too, or they'll forget.

Once again to repeat because some people don't seem to get why a foreign country is protesting.

This isn't about the USA at all. We are simply using Donald Trump as a figurehead to our Conservatives about what we WILL NOT tolerate up here. Us electing Trudeau was only the first step in that considering our Conservatives tried in the last election to move towards Republicanisms before we smacked them down in historical fashion.

If we don't continue to tell them this, to remind them that we will vote for them if they are modate, they tend to move towards being batshit insane... like we are seeing in the current Conservative Leadership race where we have several wannabe Trumps stepping up to the plate and only a single moderate.

Indicate

What a silly protest. Worry about Canadian politics and fight for things that affect your lives daily.

With a Liberal majority for the time being, Canada will continue its fight for progressive choices.

But they do affect Canadian lives. Trumps environmental policies is an example.

Even beyond the stupidity of fucking the planet with the proposed policies (and folks that could possibly be in charge of their EPA etc) we have plenty of spillover effect from enabling racism the way Trump has in the US. Case in point, the previously posted "join the alt right" signs, and stuff like this:

I suppose it's possible for minorities to be scared? I don't see any evidence of that though (I'm certainly not) and to me this just seems like fearmongering when nothing has even happened yet. That's just my opinion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-streetcar-incident-1.3851108

Article said:
Griffiths said she eventually lost her cool and called the man a "f--king racist." She said the man responded by saying he was proud of that, then said "Go Trump" — referring to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump.

It's real, and it's happening, and it should be protested.

Teletraan1

Banned
Stay engaged with Albertans and their needs. If a Trump scenario were to emerge, it would start there.

Oil's way down, their economy is hurting, and the PM is a smugly grinning urbanite who primarily appears in photos marching in gay pride parades and hugging refugees. It seems like an alt-right message could spread there.

Engage with the needs of the entire country and give them avenues to be moderate.

Yep. People were hurting after that oil pipeline got shot down combined with the oil price fixing, then the fires. Wonder if that pipeline is even an option now with the enviro unfriendly Trump. Lots of people just straight up mailing their house keys to the bank. It will be a breeding ground for that kind of political sentiment unless something is done to reverse course which our PM doesn't seem too interested in doing, everything so far has just been a feel good photo op. Human rights will always take a back seat to not putting food on the table or a roof over your head in an election.

Admittedly did not know about that.

I have faith in the conservative citizens of Canada though. The other week I randomly had a conversation with a 70 year old white woman about politics and I assumed that she would hold backwards views but she was very kind and respectful to me and mainly ranted about how Canada is treating senior citizens very badly. She did seem educated though and I live in Ottawa so that probably factors in a lot. Not sure what kind of people rural Canadians are.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...te-speech-not-new-says-desmond-cole-1.3853197

You should probably listen to this

Blueingreen

As a minority, this just makes me feel embarrassed rather than supported. At the end of the day I know that these people after their "protests" will just go back to their Starbucks coffees writing posts on tumblr rather than do anything for Canada.

Well yes you're right, as a Briton that experienced Brexit first hand I learned, that after a democratic vote, these people will piss, moan, kick, scream, cry, launch useless petitions, march through the capital with vulgar picket signs
"kill all old people"comes to mind
basically do everything to demonstrate their self entitled immature narcissism.

And then after a few weeks when they've calmed down, exhausted from throwing their cute little temper tantrum, they'll continue to swipe left on tinder at some coffee shop in a gentrified neighbourhood whilst gradually accepting the inevitability of the outcome, I know many people like this mostly friends and acquaitances the term applied I believe is "Generation Snowflake".

Well yes you're right, as a Briton that experienced Brexit first hand I learned, that after a democratic vote, these people will piss, moan, kick, scream, cry, launch useless petitions, march through the capital with vulgar picket signs
"kill all old people"comes to mind
basically do everything to demonstrate their self entitled immature narcissism.

And then after a few weeks when they've calmed down, exhausted from throwing their cute little temper tantrum, they'll continue to swipe left on tinder at some coffee shop in a gentrified neighbourhood whilst gradually accepting the inevitability of the outcome, I know many people like this mostly friends and acquaitances the term applied I believe is "Generation Snowflake".
Which part of this is self-entitled, immature and narcissistic?

UberTag

Just a heads up that there is an anti-Trump protest planned for this coming Saturday in Toronto after Trump's inauguration... here are the specifics:

aHR0cHM6Ly9zY29udGVudC54eC5mYmNkbi5uZXQvdi90MzEuMC04L3M3MjB4NzIwLzE1MzA0NjU4XzE2MzgyMzk4NjYyMDE5NzBfMzQ4NjUzMzU0OTY5NDAzODg3MV9vLmpwZz9vaD01ZTJjMzA3ZDE2MWU0NjZmZjgyOWFmZjg0YmUyNzM4NCZvZT01OTEwRjlFMw==

WHEN: Saturday, January 21 at 12 PM - 2 PM EST

Across Turtle Island (North America) we have seen a rise in acts of hate coinciding with the American election. On Saturday, January 21, join us for a march to unite our communities in Toronto and to speak out.

We come together to say we will not be silent in the face of the hate that has threatened, demonized and insulted so many of us – Muslims, Jews, racialized people, Indigenous people, migrants and those with precarious or no legal status, members of the LGBTTQQ2SI communities, differently abled people and women.

In the spirit of saying no to hate and yes to justice, equity and social change, people around the world will be mobilizing and resisting as Trump is inaugurated. The lived experiences of colonialism and anti-black racism, xenophobia, homophobia and transphobia, sexism and oppression has existed long before Trump, but we worry that the recent US election has provided a new wave that normalizes and makes hate acceptable.

Now is a critical moment to come together to send a united message. We cannot afford to be silent or idle. Let us continue to push for justice for the most marginalized and oppressed among us.

All allies are welcome.

Interested in volunteering to support this march? Email - TOWomensMarch@gmail.com or fill out this short form: https://form.jotform.com/63466637759271
Incidentally, if you want to compare planned attendee numbers with the previous Trump protest in November noted in the opening post of this thread, the number of people going is at 3,200 with 6 days to go compared with 2,000 at the same timeframe two months ago.

I'm making the trek myself and I skipped the first one. Will then scope out some movies that are only playing in Toronto.

If you need some more incentive, read this article...

Why you should go to the Toronto Women's March on Washington - NowToronto.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom