• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aragami - Cel shaded indie Tenchu, control the shadows on PC/PS4, releasing Oct 4th

Poor More_Badass.. I think this is the 2nd time we've changed the name.. haha
In any case, some huge thanks for your work updating the threads! If you need any more info just let me know.

man im absolutely wishing you and your crew the best during development of aragami.

ive been having that "tenchu itch" for quite a long time now and im confident you guys will deliver

keep us updated with more news. thanks.

Granjinha

Looks really cool. Just had an impression that kill animations were limited, but that could be from the trailer (or budget)

Aside from that, can't wait! <3

"Hey, are there any women in your trailer?"

"Yeah, check it out."

BHhkWhE.png

"Cool. What does she do in the trailer?"

"This."

"Hey, are there any women in your trailer?"

"Yeah, check it out."

"Cool. What does she do in the trailer?"

"This."

Yeah, my fault there, but I really couldn't add something interesting story-wise in a 1 minute trailer. Yamiko has a really big role in the story and will be always present in the game. She'll move a lot, don't worry :)

Looks really cool. Just had an impression that kill animations were limited, but that could be from the trailer (or budget)

Aside from that, can't wait! <3

As far as i remember there are around 30 different kill animations, including aerial kills. I think I repeated some kills in the trailer, my fault there.

Soodanim

How long does it take to go from never having heard of a game to planning on buying on day one? The time it takes to read the most recent page of this thread, apparently.

Will the game be locked to 60fps?

Airbar

Neo Member
Been following this since its inception at TIGsource. Glad you got this far even with the failed Kickstarter. That kind of drive and passion definitely shows.

gabbo

Been following this since its inception at TIGsource. Glad you got this far even with the failed Kickstarter. That kind of drive and passion definitely shows.

Same, not sure on the name now that it's changed (again), but the gameplay is still spot-on as far as I can see.

Menthuss

Looks great! The only thing that's slightly off putting to me is the cape. It really clashes with the overall aesthetic IMO.

How long does it take to go from never having heard of a game to planning on buying on day one? The time it takes to read the most recent page of this thread, apparently.

Will the game be locked to 60fps?

Unlocked fps at least on PC. I still need to to some optimizations etc before I decide on the ps4 version. Visual fidelity vs performance and all that.

Looks great! The only thing that's slightly off putting to me is the cape. It really clashes with the overall aesthetic IMO.

How would you improve it? We looked at the cape as a way to fit in the user interface and power management without having to use screen space. Big fan of Dead Space.

Menthuss

How would you improve it? We looked at the cape as a way to fit in the user interface and power management without having to use screen space. Big fan of Dead Space.

To be honest, I'd rather just have a regular UI then.

EDIT: Hm, now that I think about it. I don't think it's the cape that's bothering me so much as the symbols on the cape. I feel the bright, straight lines invoke more of a Greek aesthetic instead of a far eastern one.

SomTervo

Journey did this well, too. The sort of glyphs/characters on the cape which drained away as you used your 'leap' power.

You could use the cape... perhaps the back of the hood too? That's a pretty sacred space in terms of 'ninja' design,though.

Huge Dead Space fan, too, especially aesthetically.

Poor More_Badass.. I think this is the 2nd time we've changed the name.. haha
In any case, some huge thanks for your work updating the threads! If you need any more info just let me know.

He's a stalwart of the indie community

UrbanRats

Somewhat torn on this.
I was a big Tenchu fan back in the day, but I honestly don't think those games aged well, in terms of gameplay.
I think ShinobiDo evolved the concept in the right direction (despite the clear budget restrictions).
This and the character design which I'm not really crazy about, is actually why I haven't backed the KS.

With all that said, I guess it could still be decent fun.
And the environments actually look cool.

Some of the shots in the thread hit me in the nostalgia nerve, like him crouched on the roof, but again, going back to Tenchu in 2016, I don't think it aged that well.
I am also not very convinced by the "create your own shadow" mechanic, but I'd have to actually play it, to determine that.

I think if the cape was thinner it would look better, kinda like a scarf. Right now it just pops(sticks out) too much. I like it having the UI on it like Dead Space/Journey, but If it could just be toned down a little, I think it would look better.

I am also not very convinced by the "create your own shadow" mechanic, but I'd have to actually play it, to determine that.
The shadow mechanic is the coolest aspect of the game and from playing it, I love how dynamic it is. Creating a shadow and teleporting from created shadow to another shadow is well-done.

twin_souls_shadow_kill_execution_by_digi_matrix-d8mxv9s.gif

CHC

This looks a hell of a lot better than it used to, and I also dig the name change.

"Twin Souls" reminded me of either Beyond: Two Souls, or Dark Souls, neither of which seem to have much in common with this game.

Soodanim

Unlocked fps at least on PC. I still need to to some optimizations etc before I decide on the ps4 version. Visual fidelity vs performance and all that.

I forgot to say unlocked on PC, I'm in the 144hz club so playing at above 60 will be fantastic, thanks!

Just saw the trailer and of course More_Badass has been following this game from inception. Between this, Ruiner and The Last Night you're my hero this week.

Which makes up for that Hardcore Henry rec... but this is neither the time nor the place :p

Just saw the trailer and of course More_Badass has been following this game from inception. Between this, Ruiner and The Last Night you're my hero this week.

Which makes up for that Hardcore Henry rec... but this is neither the time nor the place :p
<_<
>_>

Hey, my Twitter handle is Indie Game Enthusiast, not indie movie enthusiast, so I might make some questionable calls here and there :p

wiggleb0t

Banned
I've wanted another game like Tenchu for the longest time. Super excited for this!

I''m trying to figure out why Tenchu style game didn't stay popular. There was a couple of them on ps1 and ps2 iirc the quality might have dipped or didn't improve?

Hope this game does well. Looks great!

I''m trying to figure out why Tenchu style game didn't stay popular. There was a couple of them on ps1 and ps2 iirc the quality might have dipped or didn't improve?
Hope this game does well. Looks great!

Tenchu already tried to maintain the same formula with Tenchu Z, Shinobido and Tenchu 4 for Wii and it didn't work out mainly because the formula didn't evolve. It was the same game over and over.. and I think it became quickly obsolete by the apparition of Assassin's Creed.

<_<
>_>

Hey, my Twitter handle is Indie Game Enthusiast, not indie movie enthusiast, so I might make some questionable calls here and there :p
Heh, around these parts I'm in the minority on that one so I hold it against me more than anything else!

Just signed up for your newsletter, xDavidLeon! I love the trend of indie studios having mail chimp-powered mailers. Helps for social media Luddites like myself.

Top Bottom