• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aragami - Cel shaded indie Tenchu, control the shadows on PC/PS4, releasing Oct 4th

wiggleb0t

Banned
Tenchu already tried to maintain the same formula with Tenchu Z, Shinobido and Tenchu 4 for Wii and it didn't work out mainly because the formula didn't evolve. It was the same game over and over.. and I think it became quickly obsolete by the apparition of Assassin's Creed.

That sounds spot on.
It's impressive to see your game supports 6 languages. Is that a rarity with indie games?
Look forward to checking it out upon release. Best of luck with it.

That sounds spot on.
It's impressive to see your game supports 6 languages. Is that a rarity with indie games?
Look forward to checking it out upon release. Best of luck with it.

We are launching the game on retail too (both for ps4 and pc), so in order to launch it in all Europe we need to support the usual languages.

gabbo

We are launching the game on retail too (both for ps4 and pc), so in order to launch it in all Europe we need to support the usual languages.

PC retail? Oh man you're saying all the things I want to hear. hopefully I can get my hands on this (assuming no ridiculous drm) in Canada somehow.

RyudBoy

Not particularly a huge fan of cel-shaded graphics, but I played the heck out of Tenchu so I'm willing to look past the visual style if the gameplay holds up.

Bumping this to ask, will there be bonuses for playing non lethal?

Currently we have 3 'medals' in each chapter. Ghost (Beat the level without getting detected), Oni (Kill everybody in the level), Kami (leave everyone alive). Besides that, there's a score with a 'rank' (a la tenchu) to gauge your performance (it's amoral, so you can get the maximum score no matter your lethal/non-lethal approach).

You've got Steam / PSN achievements etc linked to those results, but right now there's no in-game unlockables or bonuses related to that. You unlock skills by finding special scrolls hidden around the worlds, so a specific performance is not needed for character progression.

Currently we have 3 'medals' in each chapter. Ghost (Beat the level without getting detected), Oni (Kill everybody in the level), Kami (leave everyone alive). Besides that, there's a score with a 'rank' (a la tenchu) to gauge your performance (it's amoral, so you can get the maximum score no matter your lethal/non-lethal approach).

You've got Steam / PSN achievements etc linked to those results, but right now there's no in-game unlockables or bonuses related to that. You unlock skills by finding special scrolls hidden around the worlds, so a specific performance is not needed for character progression.

Sounds good to me. Non lethal and ghost all the way :)

Wow that looks amazing o_O

Congrats on the game, seems like a real winner there.

One question though, on the first page xbox is listed as a platform (but it was subject to change), is it now only Pc/Ps4 for good, or coming to xbone at a later date?

Meesh

The whole thing sounds great, haven't played a solid stealth ninja game in forever and I can't wait to give this a boot.
Best wishes to you guys, hope it sells gangbusters :)

Wow that looks amazing o_O

Congrats on the game, seems like a real winner there.

One question though, on the first page xbox is listed as a platform (but it was subject to change), is it now only Pc/Ps4 for good, or coming to xbone at a later date?

When we started development we aimed for all platforms.. didn't want to close any door. The thing is, releasing for any platform requires a huge effort. Passing QA, technical issues, certification etc require time and money. Sony also reached to us to help with development, giving technical support etc, so it made sense to focus on PC + PS4 first, and then we'll see if we aim to any other platforms in the future.

David went all the way to E3 haha nice, proud of ya!

Didn't know about retail release, awesome. Also coming out on September, birthday month!

Yeah man.. really scary to fly to the states. Last year went to the GDC, this year E3.. and both times I got randomly checked by the TSA at the airport.. ffs. In any case, really liked California and had a great time at E3. It's super cool to meet your 'heroes' like Rami Ismail, Tim Schafer, Yoshinori Ono, Hideo Kojima... I had a big 'impostor syndrome' feeling at all times, but it was a really cool experience :)

Yeah man.. really scary to fly to the states. Last year went to the GDC, this year E3.. and both times I got randomly checked by the TSA at the airport.. ffs. In any case, really liked California and had a great time at E3. It's super cool to meet your 'heroes' like Rami Ismail, Tim Schafer, Yoshinori Ono, Hideo Kojima... I had a big 'impostor syndrome' feeling at all times, but it was a really cool experience :)

That's awesome! I'd love to meet Schafer one day.

killatopak

Gold Member
I really like the look. This being cel shaded means it'll stand the test of time and could also look beautiful on low end hardware.

Awesome!

Edit: Thanks for giving PeregrinSe7en the link to the footage Sparrowhawk, somehow I guess I either never hit post or got distracted due to all the craziness those nights!

Awesome!

Edit: Thanks for giving PeregrinSe7en the link to the footage Sparrowhawk, somehow I guess I either never hit post or got distracted due to all the craziness those nights!

yeah thanks a million sparrowhawk

there's a lot of smaller non AAA titles to look forward to by the end of the year

Love the art style for Aragami.

Nice picks, Inside still looking fantastic.

Wow, Necropolis, I missed that, looks amazing.
From the devs of the Shadowrun games and upcoming Battletech

Personally, I'm partial to Astroneer. Love me some low poly as much as stylized cel shading
AnotherMistyAcornweevil.gif

SomTervo

Just helping these guys finalise the game's script. Shaping up quite nicely!

Hope everyone enjoys it!

The pinnacle of stealth imo: they never knew you were there, they can't understand what happened.

Damn straight

Although killing people in Aragami is so damn satisfying it's hard not to go postal. They did a great job with the kill animations. Feels legit like what a modern-day Tenchu should feel like, kills-wise. Great weight and thud to slamming your sword into fools.

Just helping these guys finalise the game's script. Shaping up quite nicely!

Hope everyone enjoys it!

Damn straight

Although killing people in Aragami is so damn satisfying it's hard not to go postal. They did a great job with the kill animations. Feels legit like what a modern-day Tenchu should feel like, kills-wise. Great weight and thud to slamming your sword into fools.

Oh cool, didn't know you were having a hand on this project.

SomTervo

Oh cool, didn't know you were having a hand on this project.

Just for the last couple of months, helping finalise the script and narrative decisions :)

Got to meet the guys when I was over in Barcelona, check out the studio etc. Good people.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet David from this thread, who was away (in Amsterdam I think?)!

Just for the last couple of months, helping finalise the script and narrative decisions :)

Got to meet the guys when I was over in Barcelona, check out the studio etc. Good people.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet David from this thread, who was away (in Amsterdam I think?)!

David is a really cool dude, chatted to him for a while at EGX. Knows his stealth games and systems in and out.

Yep! SomTervo is helping us with the script. We felt we needed a native English speaker and somebody with experience in narrative writing to help us with the game story and dialogues. SomTervo is doing a great job, can't wait for you guys to see/read it :)

As I never post anything here... here's a quick shot of Chapter 12.

ath5t4j.jpg

ScOULaris

As you can see from my recent thread about Shinobido 2 on the Vita, I'm really loving that game. I was in the mood for a ninja stealth game outside of the Tenchu series (which stopped being good after Wrath of Heaven IMO), and Shinobido ended up being the perfect evolution of what Acquire was doing in the genre in the earlier days of Tenchu 1 and 2.

Speaking to the devs who are lurking in this thread, I've seen MGS, Dishonored, and Tenchu mentioned as inspirations for Aragami. I'm sure Mark of the Ninja served as inspiration as well. But have you guys played the Shinobido series, and if so what do you think about its approach to ninja stealth gameplay?

I plan on picking up Aragami on PS4 day 1 when it comes out in the fall, and I was just wondering what you guys thought about my new favorite ninja series. It's a crying shame how underappreciated Shinobido seems to be everywhere but Japan. People are always crying out for a true successor to the original Tenchu games, and Shinobido 2 is definitely it. Original developers and all.

Top Bottom