• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

B00TE

Even a week in I *usually* only use a super when it's guaranteed. There are still times when I think it's guaranteed and it ends up not being the case, but the more I play the less that happens.

Yeah, that's been my experience. I also like holding onto it just because of the threat, especially when I've got a life lead.

So, I'm not sure if this was a glitch or lag, but earlier today a Japanese Spring Man cancelled his grab into a rush attack. His grab connected, keeping me in place, and then I was being hit by his rush attack.

Or it could be a real setup. It didn't occur to me to try that while playing online. Anyone know? Would be cool if it were possible.

I've had this happened to me too, coincidentally by another Spring Man. I tried it myself on two occasions but wasn't able to do it. So unless it's just lag, it could be you have to trigger if before the throw animation itself starts?

DKL

Yeah, that's been my experience. I also like holding onto it just because of the threat, especially when I've got a life lead.

From what I remember seeing in some videos, it seems like you can carry supers into the next round.

This is super powerful if you can beat someone in the first round without it free >_>

I've had this happened to me too, coincidentally by another Spring Man. I tried it myself on two occasions but wasn't able to do it. So unless it's just lag, it could be you have to trigger if before the throw animation itself starts?

Gahhh, I'm curious now lol

jorgejjvr

From what I remember seeing in some videos, it seems like you can carry supers into the next round.

This is super powerful if you can beat someone in the first round without it free >_>

Gahhh, I'm curious now lol
There's multiple rounds?

I'm still fairly surprised how well the controls worked. They didn't get dsynced and it would basically always do what I wanted. Kept on trying to imagine how moving like virtual on would work with that set up and was surprised when it did work perfectly fine.

I've always been pretty keen on motion controls, kind of hope Nintendo keeps pushing it especially now that it's actually good

B00TE

I was just looking into this. God damn, that's good to see.

DrDogg

So, I'm not sure if this was a glitch or lag, but earlier today a Japanese Spring Man cancelled his grab into a rush attack. His grab connected, keeping me in place, and then I was being hit by his rush attack.

Or it could be a real setup. It didn't occur to me to try that while playing online. Anyone know? Would be cool if it were possible.

It was almost certainly lag. I just double checked and it's absolutely not possible to throw AND connect a super.

Yeah, I was watching ranked and people do 2 out of 3s...

At least, this is what I remember seeing >_>

This is accurate.

Doorman

What was probably happening in the case of that magical Spring Man was a bit of well-timed lag being combined with some predictive-style netcode. He likely threw out the grab and then cancelled it into super before it actually connected, but in the latency between then the game "expected" you to get caught in the grab and so it played that to you as the result, but then caught up with the other player's actual inputs and flipped it into the rush instead. Mario Kart's had some "fun" moments like that in the past too.

Biske

What was probably happening in the case of that magical Spring Man was a bit of well-timed lag being combined with some predictive-style netcode. He likely threw out the grab and then cancelled it into super before it actually connected, but in the latency between then the game "expected" you to get caught in the grab and so it played that to you as the result, but then caught up with the other player's actual inputs and flipped it into the rush instead. Mario Kart's had some "fun" moments like that in the past too.

I've definitely seen similar things happen in matches. Specially with Grabs. Thought a grab missed, threw some punches, oop no grab worked.

13ruce

Banned
Hey guys and gals what do you think the equivalent of Splatfests from Splatoon will be in Arms? Special tourneys called Punchfests? I honestly dunno but it would be cool to have something simular like that event wise but unique in play/scope etc to Arms ofcourse.

Joeytj

Banned
So, I finally was able to play the Global Testpunch, after missing other dates.

I suck at motion controls, and the one fight I managed to get in with regular controls, I guess I did a bit better.

All I do is flail around with the Joy-Cons, although I guess with a bit more practice I could get a handle on them.

What I didn't like was just how constricted walking around the arena felt. It's made like in order for you to concentrate on how well you punch, I know, but boxing has essential strategies that involve your feet, so I'm surprised I didn't feel a lot of freedom to move as much.

Maybe, again, I need to practice more. I kept forgetting how to position the Joy-Cons better so I could move, although that distracted me from creating punching tactics that worked.

pariah164

Really?! That was the only way I found logical to punch with the traditional controls. I didn't like A/B punching.
I guess maybe I'm too used to traditional fighting games? That and I just reacted faster with the A/B buttons. I was much slower when using ZL/ZR, and adding that to dashing/jumping just wrecked me.

DrDogg

I suck at motion controls, and the one fight I managed to get in with regular controls, I guess I did a bit better.

All I do is flail around with the Joy-Cons, although I guess with a bit more practice I could get a handle on them.

What I didn't like was just how constricted walking around the arena felt. It's made like in order for you to concentrate on how well you punch, I know, but boxing has essential strategies that involve your feet, so I'm surprised I didn't feel a lot of freedom to move as much.

Maybe, again, I need to practice more. I kept forgetting how to position the Joy-Cons better so I could move, although that distracted me from creating punching tactics that worked.

Which character were you using?

I get people comparing this to real boxing, but this is a game and an exaggerated over the top game at that. It does have some parallels with boxing, but it's not meant to be a boxing sim. I know you're not saying that, but I've seen a lot of people bring up the boxing comparison.

I guess maybe I'm too used to traditional fighting games? That and I just reacted faster with the A/B buttons. I was much slower when using ZL/ZR, and adding that to dashing/jumping just wrecked me.

Coming from a traditional fighting game background I immediately switched from punching with A/B to the triggers. A/B just felt very bad and unnatural to me. I also wish you could angle the punches with the Right Analog Stick. Huge oversight IMO.

pariah164

Coming from a traditional fighting game background I immediately switched from punching with A/B to the triggers. A/B just felt very bad and unnatural to me. I also wish you could angle the punches with the Right Analog Stick. Huge oversight IMO.
I guess I'll just add this to my list of quirks:

- I eat cooked spaghetti noodles with butter and salt instead of tomato sauce and meatballs.
- I pin my bangs to the sides of my glasses when they get too long since pins don't stay in my hair.
- I use A/B buttons to punch in ARMS rather than using the triggers.

NBD.

MTC100

Banned

It's normal, I don't get it either, it didn't stop me to score between 90 and 103 in 8 out of 10 testpunches I've played with the Joycon Grip/Handheld/Pro Controller so far. Traditional controls are completely viable in this game they work perfectly fine, to a point where I was surprised how accurate they are. They will become second nature for you too if you play for a longer period of time, don't be afraid and order the game now! ;)

Is there another testpunch now?

It's over, I guess there might be a demo when they release the game though, seeing as this is turning out to be one of the Switches flagship titles. Perhaps there will be another testpunch down the road though, due to very high demand?

DrDogg

I guess I'll just add this to my list of quirks:

- I eat cooked spaghetti noodles with butter and salt instead of tomato sauce and meatballs.
- I pin my bangs to the sides of my glasses when they get too long since pins don't stay in my hair.
- I use A/B buttons to punch in ARMS rather than using the triggers.

NBD.

Obviously whatever control scheme works best for you is what you should use. I think for me I prefer the triggers because I can react faster with individual fingers for each Arm. Using A/B I have to move a single finger between the two buttons (or play claw style which makes it harder to activate supers).

Is there another testpunch now?

Nope, it's over.

Doorman

I'd still much rather leave punches on A/B and move dash and jump up to the triggers in "buttons mode," but it doesn't seem like I have a lot of other support in that around here. :p

Most characters have fairly slow walking speed in the game, the "footwork" that you're looking for is all in the way you use your dashes and jumps in conjunction to avoid attacks, weave around the arena, and charge punches for greater effect. The Testpunch admittedly isn't the greatest way for people to get accustomed to this sort of control scheme given how different it is compared to other games, so I hope that people don't immediately write it off and put in some time to build up that muscle memory. My guess is that a lot of people who feel the controls aren't responsive are probably holding the controllers or performing their movements in a way that's different in reality than what they think they're doing, without even realizing it. That's where stuff like the "I can't seem to back up without blocking instead" kind of stuff comes in.

It'd almost be good if possible to, like, set up a camera and record your hands during a round. See just how you're holding them in "neutral," how much unnecessary movement is going on, double-checking angles while you're tilting them, etc. With movement on particular we're used to pads and sticks with discernible gates that mark the endpoint of where and how far you can go; in ARMS' case though, it's entirely freeform and up to you. Some may take to it more quickly than others but it's an adjustment nonetheless.

Here's all the vids I've taken from the testpunches in reverse chronological order. All of them are with motion controls except for the last Master Mummy vid. Feel free to check them out:

Master Mummy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhFc4h4_ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0lYDu6oWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtPSIh3BSKA

Twintelle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOOHthYsdQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46LkavV6kKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpPQ_BKIts

Min Min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeB56vQ2k3E

Ribbon Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOWwt4BkAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4O9LWoQS1s

Mechanica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WQgvQv48M

Just sad that I'll never be able to achieve such greatness :( I suck too much at motion control to pull moves like that.

Those were all done using motion controls. All you have to do is believe! <3

NimbusD

aww damn, I thought there was an 8pm slot today. Guess not. I was down on this game and hoping against hope to have it click today. Eh.

Unicorn

I love Helix design, but his arms parts are sooo slow...

Yeah. I tried... but, he just needs a different set of arms available. Waiting for launch to give him another go as I think his ability is cool.

Mechanica sealin' it as main though. Called it at reveal, but man, she feels good.

Totakeke

It's pretty difficult finding footage of good ARMS matches so far. Like it's mostly Andre from GX and donkey show from the testpunches. Still, I shake my head in disbelief every time donkey show lands a max distance hit with the Megaton. :p

ggx2ac

Neat.

DBckJS9VYAAtwU6.jpg

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/871496806944788480

Yeah. I tried... but, he just needs a different set of arms available. Waiting for launch to give him another go as I think his ability is cool.

Mechanica sealin' it as main though. Called it at reveal, but man, she feels good.

I decided to go for it today and see if I could do anything with the shield/blorb combo.
It really clicked. I love it and it's gonna be hard to go back haha. Plus, I started to really get a feel for his jump/air dash and ducking mechanics. I love how he moves

Doorman

The issue that I had trying to use Helix during the testpunch on the occasions I did is that while he has all his stretchiness and dodging tricks, his actual mobility is hugely lacking. He just can't cover ground very quickly, and that combined with all of his arms being very slow and with lots of set-up time means that quicker characters can zip past a lot of his shennanigans more easily than he can reliably set them up. I assume he works a bit better when you can keep your distance and more easily react to what other people throw out, but...yeah I dunno. Mummy felt better to me as a "doesn't move much but punishes well" character. He definitely seems to me the hardest character to get a proper grasp of, but again that may be in large part due to his lack of any sort of quick arm options.

DrDogg

It's pretty difficult finding footage of good ARMS matches so far. Like it's mostly Andre from GX and donkey show from the testpunches. Still, I shake my head in disbelief every time donkey show lands a max distance hit with the Megaton. :p

I have more matches I can upload against other press and Nintendo Treehouse employees, but it's 90% just me beating people up. Not much competition in that group of players.

Takat

I loved my play today so much. I'm so excited for the game.

I only have problem with Ribbon girl and Ninjara, which I hope to get more proficient is.

The game is pure fun, even when you lose.

Unicorn

Yeah, I want some insight from FGC players and others with more technical know-how.

Release is only a couple weeks away, so that discussion and feedback will come in time.

The issue that I had trying to use Helix during the testpunch on the occasions I did is that while he has all his stretchiness and dodging tricks, his actual mobility is hugely lacking. He just can't cover ground very quickly, and that combined with all of his arms being very slow and with lots of set-up time means that quicker characters can zip past a lot of his shennanigans more easily than he can reliably set them up. I assume he works a bit better when you can keep your distance and more easily react to what other people throw out, but...yeah I dunno. Mummy felt better to me as a "doesn't move much but punishes well" character. He definitely seems to me the hardest character to get a proper grasp of, but again that may be in large part due to his lack of any sort of quick arm options.

Though Helix simply cannot cover the kind of ground other characters can, I think people overestimate how much you actually have to move to avoid punches. Precise movements are more necessary than just continuously dashing to one side or the other. I think the latter is more for the safety of mind of the player than it is actually helping them.
I think that's why he has the slow arms. It's encouraging you to play small by and out think your opponents.

DrDogg

Yeah, I want some insight from FGC players and others with more technical know-how.

Release is only a couple weeks away, so that discussion and feedback will come in time.

What kind of discussion are you looking for? I'm sure I'm not the only FGC person here.

Though Helix simply cannot cover the kind of ground other characters can, I think people overestimate how much you actually have to move to avoid punches. Precise movements are more necessary than just continuously dashing to one side or the other. I think the latter is more for the safety of mind of the player than it is actually helping them.
I think that's why he has the slow arms. It's encouraging you to play small by and out think your opponents.

What I've found is that if you only move slightly and your Arms get clipped, it's only a matter of time before they take too much damage and grant your opponent a free hit.

Also, I know when I'm constantly dashing, it's not only to make it harder for my opponent to hit me, it's also to maintain a constant charge on my Arms.

Unicorn

What kind of discussion are you looking for? I'm sure I'm not the only FGC person here.

What I've found is that if you only move slightly and your Arms get clipped, it's only a matter of time before they take too much damage and grant your opponent a free hit.

Also, I know when I'm constantly dashing, it's not only to make it harder for my opponent to hit me, it's also to maintain a constant charge on my Arms.

feeling on viability of tournament scene, balance of characters based on what was presented - i.e. how Master Mummy could stand a match vs Ninjara. Or, just match-up talk in general about grabs, arms weight/speed, character ability balance, etc. Also just curious how much of the FGC is actually looking forward to a new "format" to the genre.

Most of my friends in FGC are smash or Street Fighter so they have passing curiosity to 0 interest. I'm interested in Tekken fans or NRS (juggle fans, basically) or Gundam VS fans feel. 2D fighter fans like Marvel and SF I assume wouldn't give it much interest in contest with their main game, but I feel like someone who has a deep interest in fighting games that a new perspective to the genre is exciting and worth getting people digging into it for viability.

I don't even think I've seen Maximillian make a video about ARMS, so my general fear is that most of the community is just writing it off or not even giving it a chance.

I have seen a really good Helix player that was completely dodging attacks just with his elastic ability. He has a high skill ceiling so he will be a character that will require patience.

He was dodging grabs real easily just by ducking.

feeling on viability of tournament scene, balance of characters based on what was presented - i.e. how Master Mummy could stand a match vs Ninjara. Or, just match-up talk in general about grabs, arms weight/speed, character ability balance, etc. Also just curious how much of the FGC is actually looking forward to a new "format" to the genre.

Most of my friends in FGC are smash or Street Fighter so they have passing curiosity to 0 interest. I'm interested in Tekken fans or NRS (juggle fans, basically) or Gundam VS fans feel. 2D fighter fans like Marvel and SF I assume wouldn't give it much interest in contest with their main game, but I feel like someone who has a deep interest in fighting games that a new perspective to the genre is exciting and worth getting people digging into it for viability.

I don't even think I've seen Maximillian make a video about ARMS, so my general fear is that most of the community is just writing it off or not even giving it a chance.

I mean there was a point where Smash wasn't considered a competitive fighting game but just a party game. It took a while for it to be officially recognized but even then there are some that consider it inadequate by thinking its a just a party game.

The same could possibly be happening with ARMS. I mean its not surprising considering games like Splatoon are considered kiddy games by some even though it has a really competitive nature because its made from Nintendo.

Doorman

My personal feeling is that most existing communities are going to write off ARMS, and why not since most of the big scenes already have games of their own that just recently came out or are soon coming(Inj 2, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear, SFV still plugging along, MvCI on the horizon). Add to that the fact that it's a Nintendo game and I think most of those populations wouldn't have taken it very seriously from the beginning anyway. The best you might get is some overlap from the Smash community since there hasn't been any new movement in that series for a while...but you know it's coming.

With all that said...I think there's still room for ARMS to develop its own scene, and one that might bring in a lot of new faces that weren't necessarily well known from other communities. There's going to be a scene of some sort, we just have no idea how big it'll be or whether it will have any lifespan, but that'll depend on Nintendo rolling out content and keeping people in general engaged with the game. If it has a good player-population, I think it'll have a good tourney scene.

Unicorn

I have seen a really good Helix player that was completely dodging attacks just with his elastic ability. He has a high skill ceiling so he will be a character that will require patience.

Yeah, his ability is good for keeping charge while stationary. stretching and puddling keep your arms charged as long as you don't get hit. Stretching then letting go allows your legs to rear up and air dodging after is really nice because you have a very lateral charge ready. It's just my arms were so bad. I could not get any success at all with the shield.

Totakeke

That reminds me...

Going back and watching the exhibition matches from the last tournament in Japan between MOV (Street Fighter) and Abadango (Smash), I can appreciate the matches a lot more now. That probably also means that for people who have never played the game before, it could look like two guys just dodging around all the time and landing hits randomly. I don't know about their ARM choices, but they understand the movement and charging mechanics at least and use it well.

Here's the matches.
Spring Man vs Mechanica (~50m)
Master Mummy vs Ninjara (~54m)
Ribbon Girl Mirror (~1h)

Ribbon Girl vs Ninjara (~4h)
Master Mummy vs Spring Man (~4h6m)
Spring Man vs Mechanica (~4h10m)

The ribbon girl matches are the most fun to watch.

MOV was trying to make Master Mummy work by focusing on his health regen, but as the second set shows, Master Mummy kinda sucks. Big and slow characters in fighting games have high risk and high reward, but there's really not that much high reward in playing Master Mummy because he pretty much does the same amount of damage as the other characters. He has higher damage throws but it's not that easy to land throws with him as he's so immobile.

Hopefully the E3 invitational tournament matches will be at least the level of these matches.

atr0cious

Helix and Kid Cobra will be top tier in a few months, just watch.

Unicorn

That reminds me...

Going back and watching the exhibition matches from the last tournament in Japan between MOV (Street Fighter) and Abadango (Smash), I can appreciate the matches a lot more now. That probably also means that for people who have never played the game before, it could look like two guys just dodging around all the time and landing hits randomly. I don't know about their ARM choices, but they understand the movement and charging mechanics at least and use it well.

Here's the matches.
Spring Man vs Mechanica (~50m)
Master Mummy vs Ninjara (~54m)
Ribbon Girl Mirror (~1h)

Ribbon Girl vs Ninjara (~4h)
Master Mummy vs Spring Man (~4h6m)
Spring Man vs Mechanica (~4h10m)

The ribbon girl matches are the most fun to watch.

MOV was trying to make Master Mummy work by focusing on his health regen, but as the second set shows, Master Mummy kinda sucks. Big and slow characters in fighting games have high risk and high reward, but there's really not that much high reward in playing Master Mummy because he pretty much does the same amount of damage as the other characters. He has higher damage throws but it's not that easy to land throws with him as he's so immobile.

Hopefully the E3 invitational tournament matches will be at least the level of these matches.

Thanks for these. Meant to go back and rewatch this tourney with some personal play experience.

Top Bottom