• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Sorcerer

It's pretty sus that Valve isn't being mentioned here at all. They have to approve the games for sale in each region. They review your game listing pages, they ensure your game pages are localized for the region IF you are selling a localized title in said region, and they also review the requirements for your title.

Valve is selling the game not Sony. GoG (Good ole' Gabe /s) should be taking their share of this flack as well if they are in unsupported territories.

Now...if people purchased the title through Steam using means to circumvent their region specific storefronts, then that's on the player/purchaser.
I don't think Gabe is going to tell Sony to screw because of a launcher. Sony is invested in Epic I believe, surprised they didn't try to exclusive it there, but I guess Sony has to play both sides regardless.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The game is paid for by Sony, the PlayStation logo shows up the first time you boot the game no matter the platform.

Do you call an Activision game that releases on every platform a PC game or an Activision game?

It's a Sony game released on PC, stop being a revisionist.
Ftfy.

And to the question: I call an Activision game on PC a PC game by Activision, an Activision game on Playstation a PS game by Activision.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't think Gabe is going to tell Sony to screw because of a launcher. Sony is invested in Epic I believe, surprised they didn't try to exclusive it there, but I guess Sony has to play both sides regardless.
Currently, at least, this isn't a launcher issue is it? It was my understanding that you have to link your Steam account to your PlayStation Account to play the game on May 6th.

I did that when I purchased the game IIRC.

Doesn't a lot of games on steam, especially those with online elements, require this. Every MMO I play through steam, I can't just log in through my steam account, I start the game on steam and it takes me to a account log in screen for the game. Why is this a big deal?

Neofire

I don't see the big issue PlayStation users have to deal with PCs cheating so y'all have to deal with Sony tracking your account to ban your cheating ass 🤣

Sorcerer

Currently, at least, this isn't a launcher issue is it? It was my understanding that you have to link your Steam account to your PlayStation Account to play the game on May 6th.

I did that when I purchased the game IIRC.
Doesn't sound like the end of the world in that case. I was ready to link my account, but Forbidden West won't even launch on the deck. LOL!!!

Mr Moose

I'd say boobs are a noble cause.
wedding-crashers-motorboat.gif

If they were really planning on requiring a PSN account all along, then making the game available for purchase on Steam in regions where PSN isn't available is kind of scummy.

Actually, waiting to introduce the account requirement is scummy, period. Maybe not on the same level as waiting to patch in in microtransactions until after reviews have dropped, but scummy nonetheless.

StueyDuck

Banned
i imagine that most people have an account already and it's free to signup?

this is hardly the first game you've needed an account for, i guess they've never played an EA / Ubisoft / 2K and so on and so forth, game.

this seems really um, crazy

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Where are the idiots that say user reviews are valid?

Edit: My bad. User reviews only matter for games that were hyped up.

Last edited:

night13x

Thanks for all the quoted replies to my question on page 1 (too many to list). Got some replies from both sides.

side 1 is sony is going to use my data! - but its honestly 2024...everyone has access to everything and ...its not a big deal.

side 2 - more of what I was thinking but I was asking to be fair. Again just takes a min to log in. it saves your login creds it seems. Again not a big deal.

This will blow over in a week or so and nobody will care.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It was rumored for more then a year that PS account linking would come to PC versions of the game. Nobody raged over it in any way, Helldivers 2 is the first game, Ghost of Tsushima will be the second game but not required for the singleplayer but only for the Legends mode (multiplayer.

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut is the first PlayStation title on PC that uses a new PlayStation overlay, which includes your Friends list, Trophies, Settings, and your Profile. This feature is available on Windows PCs and will be accessible from the in-game menu or, for keyboard players, by pressing the “SHIFT +F1” shortcut on your keyboard.

While playing the game, you can earn PlayStation Trophies just like on PlayStation consoles. Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut on PC shares the same Trophy set as the game on PlayStation 5 consoles*. In addition, the PC version also has full support for Achievements on Steam and the Epic Games Store.

To make use of features like Trophies, Friends list, and cross-play, you can sign in with your existing account for PlayStation Network or create a new account. The use of PlayStation overlay is optional for both the single player experience and Legends mode.

6fe3ba648b2cf484d6ba9c861a34039e4919f7ff-scaled.jpg

Mr Moose

with players responding angrily to PlayStation Network (PSN) account requirements that Sony will soon reintroduce to the game. Though Helldivers 2 technically asked PC players to link their Steam account to a PSN one when it launched in early February, that requirement was quickly withdrawn for a "grace period" to ease the strain on its servers. And since the only indication of its existence was a small (albeit highlighted) line of text on the game's Steam page, many players ended up buying and playing it without ever being aware of the requirement.

Last edited:

Hudo

People wonder why Rockstar don't really fuck with PC gamers and treat them as 2nd class, it's because of shit like this.

You can make an amazing game that everyone loves and then one small insignificant slight against them and it's the end of the world and the downfall of western civilisation, and that's if they haven't already hacked your game to begin with.
Nah, the reason for R* business model is that they make a lot of money by getting people to triple dip.

Danknugz

So...why is this such a big deal? Literally takes like 1 to 3 minutes depending on if you have a psn account already or not. Can only add future benefits I imagine also.

Is this people just crying just for the sake of crying?

Legitly asking.

is this a joke? imagine actually typing this and believing it.

Danknugz

On one hand it's almost heartwarming to see people stand up to things in this industry, rather than just bending over and take it every time.
On the other hand, it's not clear why it seems to happen almost systematically for completely inconsequential bullshit like this.

It's just a one-time linking with a fucking account. They aren't asking people to download a different client or to start playing the game on an entirely different service.
it happens "systematically for completely inconsequential bullshit" because these are PC gamers who stand up for themselves and aren't just mindless slaves to corporations like console users.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Mr Moose Mr Moose

Can't quote your post for some reason, but yeah I think the main reason people are losing it is because it wasn't there at launch. If the game had launched with the PS account on it since day 1, it wouldn't cause this much uproar.

Top Bottom