• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Starfield really broke you huh? there’s of course a difference between review bombing like what’s happening here and what happened with Starfield
I don't get you. Even when I agree, you get angry. Weird. Sounds like you're changing your tune on Steam reviews for some weird reason. Be consistent at least. And there's no reason to bring other games into this. I'm just using the same standard we've always used on this site for multiple games. This is superior to the MC score. This is the gold standard.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This boogeyman keeps being thrown around and it's so silly.

You need a burner email and throwaway password to make an account. They aren't asking for your address and a credit card... What exactly are people so afraid of getting leaked or sold here?
They experienced a major cyberattack and data breach, one of the biggest in gaming history. It's absolutely justifiable to be concerned about your data security.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the average PC gamer these days is an absolute idiot.
I like the drama. It's the best content the game has gotten in a while.

But this is really no different then the games on Steam that use the EA launcher or even those launchers that CDPR or Larian Games have before startup. Or MMOS requiring User ID and Passwords for each game or accountwide launcher.

Seems like an overreaction in this case.

I also wouldn't care about Steam reviews or Steam community. It's a rather toxic place. Like swimming through the sewer.

They experienced a major cyberattack and data breach, one of the biggest in gaming history. It's absolutely justifiable to be concerned about your data security.
Why would you quote me and not even read my post? Can you please tell me the required data you need to provide to make a PSN account that you are worried about being leaked?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't get why this is such a big deal...unless they make us pay for a PSN Premium account or something to play multiplayer who cares...

You just sign in once right and you're good? I think I had to do this for Returnal as well. Wasn't a big deal then

Codes 208

I don't get why this is such a big deal...unless they make us pay for a PSN Premium account or something to play multiplayer who cares...

You just sign in once right and you're good? I think I had to do this for Returnal as well. Wasn't a big deal then
I think it has more to do with no reason to needing to exist in general. Microsoft has been doing it for awhile but only because its been a requirement to play on their crossplay servers (minecraft and sea of thieves for example)

But the semantics aside, this is such a nothing issue.

Edit: ah, after doing some research, it seems the bulk of the complaints are from the general paranoia of security breaches since sony is kinda notorious for getting hacked compared to the other two. Like, i get that, but I still think is a much smaller issue than people are making it out to be.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I think it has more to do with no reason to needing to exist in general. Microsoft has been doing it for awhile but only because its been a requirement to play on their crossplay servers (minecraft and sea of thieves for example)

But the semantics aside, this is such a nothing issue.

Edit: ah, after doing some research, it seems the bulk of the complaints are from the general paranoia of security breaches since sony is kinda notorious for getting hacked compared to the other two. Like, i get that, but I still think is a much smaller issue than people are making it out to be.
I think Helldivers 2 is cross-play.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Is this somehow worse than all of the other third party launchers we have to deal with on Steam? I'm serious. Someone please explain.

Mr Moose

Is this somehow worse than all of the other third party launchers we have to deal with on Steam? I'm serious. Someone please explain.
No. It was a requirement at launch but was disabled in the game due to issues that popped up. Now they are enabling it again.
It's no Ubisoft.

PC gamers are the biggest whiners in gaming.
game of thrones khaleesi GIF

Gamezone

Gold Member
No. It was a requirement at launch but was disabled in the game due to issues that popped up. Now they are enabling it again.
It's no Ubisoft.

That's what I wanted to know. I don't see the big deal, unless the launcher is causing major issues. PC gamers should be used to this by now.

blue velvet

This is like an unholy crossover between the two most unhinged fanbases in the industry, Snoy Evangelists and PC Masterbaters. We only needed to get the furries involved to create the perfect cesspool to spawn baby Gilgamesh.
Snoys will just eat up whatever is being fed to them. At least PC dudes will try to question and opposed when they see something wrong. Huge difference.

It's actually kind of insane what is happening in the subreddit right now.

I mentioned every GaaS game I've ever played needing a similar third party login and someone said "Oh, every other farm has slaves, so I guess this one should too."

Literal slavery comparisons over making a PSN account...
The fact this post was downvoted to 60% says everything about the Helldivers Reddit:

It's a screenshot that proves the requirement was always there... and it gets downvoted to oblivion. They're literally burying the lede so that they can spread FUD lol

Sorcerer

They tried to entice people to sign up for or add the PSN account with Forbidden West buy giving out free weapons and costumes. (I don't know they said the game was targeting Steam Deck and still remains unverified, although some claim to play it there on the deck,I can't get it work). I guess that did not go over as planned and now they will force it in all games in the future. I think you sign up once and all your Sony games on PC will be linked automatically in the future.

feynoob

On the contrary, they thought it well. The amount of people who won't be able to play is offset by the amount of new accounts they will get.
not a good outlook for future live service games. then again gamers have a gold fish memory.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
imagine giving a shit about another login on PC. We got STEAM/ EPIC / XBOX / ORIGIN / BETHESDA / RIOT / BLIZZARD / SQUARE / UBISOFT / TAKE TWO / and Dozens more launchers on PC to launch a game, and you all going to cry about another launcher and ruin a good games reputation because you refuse to login to another one LOL. yes it stinks we would all love one singular Login, but it aint happening anytime soon. Everyone Wants to farm your information for finical ends.

I won't login to another launcher but I'll play Valorant which installs a rootkit on your PC.

/SMH

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I dunno ... the thought of playing a game for a while and then being told I have to create an account on their network or I can't play it anymore (no refund btw) doesn't sit right with me. They would have avoided this fiasco if they had required this at game launch.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It's pretty sus that Valve isn't being mentioned here at all. They have to approve the games for sale in each region. They review your game listing pages, they ensure your game pages are localized for the region IF you are selling a localized title in said region, and they also review the requirements for your title.

Valve is selling the game not Sony. GoG (Good ole' Gabe /s) should be taking their share of this flack as well if they are in unsupported territories.

Now...if people purchased the title through Steam using means to circumvent their region specific storefronts, then that's on the player/purchaser.

Last edited:

Strategize

People wonder why Rockstar don't really fuck with PC gamers and treat them as 2nd class, it's because of shit like this.

You can make an amazing game that everyone loves and then one small insignificant slight against them and it's the end of the world and the downfall of western civilisation, and that's if they haven't already hacked your game to begin with.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Probably the same reason why you have to do it with Xbox accounts. At least Sony doesn't force you to install a useless launcher (yet)

Why Sony would want this is obvious. It gives their PSN and MAU numbers a huge bump, and it gives them much more accurate data on the PC side.
Just in terms of marketing having your email is valuable to them. I'm sure they want to know who owns a Playstation as opposed to those signed up for the account just to play on PC. The future of ports if probably weighed heavily with this info.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Crazy. And I was assured that Steam reviews are the pinnacle of accuracy by probably a dozen people here. Practically the gold standard for critical thinking and unbiased analysis, and far more reliable than critical reviews. Heard that for probably 4 months straight last year. What a huge blow to this game from the best minds in gaming.

Steam reviews are best when I want to find out how hot the waifus in the latest hentai shovelware game are and the top review is ASCII art of a giant phallus, which I of course give a "Superstar!" Steam award to.

Top Bottom