• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Mortisfacio

Banned
nProtect which Helldivers 2 uses is also a rootkit anticheat....

nProtect also last I checked has no SOC 2 certs publicly available, which is a red flag. Their GS cert is dated 2006. So it's arguably far less trustworthy since they can't even publicly stay cert compliant.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
At over 100,000 negative reviews now.

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

The main issue is that PSN was not required to start the game in the beginning. The reason why other games did not get that reaction was because the account requirement was there from the very beginning.
Granted it hasn't been rolled out yet but I do wonder if it would have dropped the CCU.

Last edited:
so they won't rage about the game using a rootkit as an anticheat but psn account is where they draw the line.

granted, requiring psn after the game has launched is such a stupid move.

MarkyG

So...why is this such a big deal? Literally takes like 1 to 3 minutes depending on if you have a psn account already or not. Can only add future benefits I imagine also.

Is this people just crying just for the sake of crying?

Legitly asking.
To me, It isn't a big deal, at all. This is coming from someone who hates having so many launchers installed. It is what it is. If I get such a bee in my bonnet over something like this, I uninstall the game and never play it again.

Some people are forgetting this; Every EA/Ubisoft/Rockstar game you purchase on Steam needs another, separate account + their respective launchers. Also, lots on here have pointed out, you're not being forced to install anything, just sign into a PS account.

Also, the game's store page has had the "Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account)" on there from day one, they just didn't enforce it until now. Do I like it, no. Do I think Sony are doing it for the reasons they stipulate? Nah.

Certainly not worth the backlash the devs are getting. As Arrowhead's CEO has stated, this is a Sony move, not them.

GametimeUK

The whole argument of "it only takes two minutes to create a PSN ID and link it" etc are kind of missing some points. Regardless of if this was clearly stated to the player before purchasing etc is irrelevant.

1. Why is ot necessary to link ID's? The gane has been working fine unlinked up until now.

2. How does it benefit the customer to link accounts? Some cross progression and trophy integration would be nice.

Sure it may seem like a simple, trouble free step to some, but to some it's the principle of the matter.

The comparison I'm about to make isn't a 1 to 1 scenario, but the act of some people claiming "its simple and only takes two minutes" was actually used here against people who were outraged. When the Xbox One was revealed and you had to go online to play your games and verify your account you had one crowd saying "it doesn't matter, we have Internet blah blah blah". We had another crowd rebelling against it out of principle. I see it similar here. Of course there's plenty of other nuances that have people outraged too over these two situations.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is just some Super Earth Civil War. It's all part of the lore and we will see the invasion of the new alien race soon.

All these bitches will be back again fighting.

Someone should edit in the steampage on the background here with all the other publisher accounts you need in steam to play the game.

co56x5undpjc1.jpeg

Last edited:
The topic of this thread? Sony made a completely unforced error here from what I can only guess is pure arrogance and the blowback from the community may well affect how successful the game is going forward on PC.
What Steam reviews would affect player numbers significantly? Setting up an account doesn't seem a big deal does it?

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Issue is PSN doesnt work on some regions. This would break the game, since you need parties to do content or stuck with AI.

The crackheads at the Sony HQ didnt think that through very well.

That's really not an issue. The Philippines do not have PSN accounts natively, but we have many tens of thousands of PlayStation gamers here. When you ask PS support or go to their FAQ, they just tell you to either create a Singapore or HK PSN account.

StereoVsn

I think it’s fair to complain about this since it came post purchase. I hate companies sneaking shit in post launch that introduces additional DRM (Capcom can go to hell with their shit), launcher requirements (fuck you Rockstar), and even this fairly minor crap that can lead to more once Sony gets their own god damn launcher.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What Steam reviews would affect player numbers significantly? Setting up an account doesn't seem a big deal does it?

Potential new buyers may be put off by seeing a bunch of negative reviews and people who already purchased may stop playing.

It's not that creating a PSN account is complex or time-consuming. The point is PC players generally hate companies forcing arbitrary requirements upon them that provide no benefit to the end user, or worse, may actually put their personal data at risk (see this post for a list of all the times Sony accounts have been hacked in the past).

Top Bottom