• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Two questions - where was your friend, and why are you having an operation?

She went to the enter shikari concert. Lined up from 11am and hadn't eaten since then either. Silly goose.

Op on my bladder, stick some cameras in me, fix up some scarring and shiz. Nothing too major in and out in under a day.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So your friend holy ... anyway.

MiniBoss keeps asking about my holidays plans. I have no idea when this holiday is actually meant to take place but it's clearly soon. Work really hates the idea that someone has a shit load of days saved up, I'm guessing it scares them a little bit. So there's the usual question of have I looked at places to go, I guess I'm taking time off and actually traveling, Going by work.

It's hard to decide or even make up ones mind. Since I actually don't have any friends which makes it a very lonely traveling experience. I'm cool with that but it does limit the possibilities as most of the stuff out there is for couples or friends, More than 1 individual anyway.

I hate this shit.

So your friend holy ... anyway.

MiniBoss keeps asking about my holidays plans. I have no idea when this holiday is actually meant to take place but it's clearly soon. Work really hates the idea that someone has a shit load of days saved up, I'm guessing it scares them a little bit. So there's the usual question of have I looked at places to go, I guess I'm taking time off and actually traveling, Going by work.

It's hard to decide or even make up ones mind. Since I actually don't have any friends which makes it a very lonely traveling experience. I'm cool with that but it does limit the possibilities as most of the stuff out there is for couples or friends, More than 1 individual anyway.

I hate this shit.

I had a friend who went on a singles cruise, he had an awesome time.

Unfortunately I don't know many other details then that, like who he booked with etc etc.

Jintor

Damn Holy, you crazy. Good luck to ya.

Anybody having trouble logging in through mobile? Both secondapp and the browser-based solution refuse to stay logged in... like, I'll login, it'll go "Login successful!" but when it redirects to the mainpage I'm not logged in :<

If nobody else has this problem, who should I PM about it?

legend166

I think you'd have to be a certain type of person to enjoy a singles cruise. I'm definitely not that type of person. And I don't get the feeling that cookie is either, hahaha.

Just go sit on a beach somewhere man. Or maybe a road trip? Great Ocean Road?

Fredescu

Work really hates the idea that someone has a shit load of days saved up, I'm guessing it scares them a little bit.
It scares them because if you quit, they have to pay you out for those holidays. They could legally have to pay a big chunk of money to you at any given moment.

I think you'd have to be a certain type of person to enjoy a singles cruise. I'm definitely not that type of person. And I don't get the feeling that cookie is either, hahaha.
Cookie would prefer a not sure if singles cruise.

Fuck this job sucks. Last day of the month and the other admin has taken the rest of the week off to go watch the soccer in Melbourne. The two managers are off driving around the countryside visiting contractors. Stuck with the phones myself as well as getting all the benchmarks under before midnight tonight. Might just leave at 4pm and tell them to get fucked.

650 runs with only 7 wickets down.....and australia struggle to get 250 :/
Don't forget that India have struggled worse in the batting than us!

Hey, journalism! and Games!

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/when-passions-flare-lines-are-crossed/4006/

Pretty damn disgraceful events tbh. Fucking childish and offensive.
Sound like a bunch of morons. Never looked at the fighting game community to be honest.

She went to the enter shikari concert. Lined up from 11am and hadn't eaten since then either. Silly goose.
Why 11am? Didn't she have tickets? Also super jelly. Pro tip for her: if you are not dude huge do NOT stand at the front of a pit full of people at a post-hardcore concert.

If nobody else has this problem, who should I PM about it?
ckohler

It scares them because if you quit, they have to pay you out for those holidays. They could legally have to pay a big chunk of money to you at any given moment.
Also most places now are worried about getting sued for paying it out in cash and then the employee getting injured as the annual leave is meant to give you a break for work to let you recuperate at intervals during the year so the stress/load doesn't build up and break you.
At least that is what a lot of companies I have talked to look at it as. They are super keen for people to take their leave and most will force you to use some if it builds up, for the above reason and the reason Fred said of having to pay out a massive lump amount if you get laid off.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The first thing cookie is to decide what you want out of the holiday:
- Relaxation

Totally just that one at this point in time. I think adventures are a little out of my league along with partying with hot ladies. If I was actually in shape and wouldn't die from either an adventure or partying then that could certainly be an option.

For now though. It's just my body and mind that totally needs a break. My back is killing me mostly so some relaxation and massages would be sexellent.

Singles cruises / contiki sorta thing would be interesting. I've never been on a boat and all that but i don't believe they would suit me at this point in time. It would certainly be jumping into the deep end, not with both feet but head first. It can still be an option but one I would probably crap my pants over.

legend166

This is why the policy here is that you take all 20 days in the year and don't save them up. There's a little bit of flexibility, but they push you pretty hard to take it all in the year.

For now though. It's just my body and mind that totally needs a break. My back is killing me mostly so some relaxation and massages would be sexellent.
I still reckon somewhere like Bali or Phuket is probably a good idea if you want to relax, assuming you have a passport. You get the nice relaxing beach resorts, and if you want to party, you can, and if you want to get out a bit, it's there.

Getting there is a bit costly but they're comparatively cheap once you're there.

Stackboy

You've never lived musically until you've driven at night in the rain listening to OK Computer.

Amazing driving album.

I use to love Radiohead but I think I inadvertently grew out of them. Kid-A came out and I liked it, but just never continued listening to them constantly. Everything changes.

What am I doing with my liiiiiiiiiiiife. Guuuuh.

Miserable as miserable can be.

Do what makes you happy, then do it some more.

Today I am pretending to be patient about SSX coming out tomorrow. Tomorrow will make me happy.

if only

cookie i work pretty much 24/7. Always thinking about shit with work, its very hard to turn off in a role like this.

Yeah, the guys in my office here are kinda on the go all the time. I imagine you're probably in a more demanding role because this is a small startup atm.

God damn man. That's just silly. Those shows are kind of hardcore but if she's right up the front (barrier to 3 rows down, she shouldn't be getting headkicked. That's pretty fucking douchey of the dudes moshing. Plus who the fuck hardcore dances at fucking gigs anymore? Makes me rage AND it looks stupid as fuck.

Op on my bladder, stick some cameras in me, fix up some scarring and shiz. Nothing too major in and out in under a day.

Good luck man! I had an operation like that for my knee a couple years ago, pretty much exactly the same, except you know. For my knee.

Singles cruise seems like a great opportunity to get an STD.

Seems like a fucking great idea and you should do it if you're thinking of doing it. My friend and another mate did it and they both got laid a lot and made great mates. Lad and lady.

That said I'd probably never do it. :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I still reckon somewhere like Bali or Phuket is probably a good idea if you want to relax, assuming you have a passport. You get the nice relaxing beach resorts, and if you want to party, you can, and if you want to get out a bit, it's there.

Getting there is a bit costly but they're comparatively cheap once you're there.

Bali, I don't want to get blown up and have drugs randomly appear in my bag!

Phuket looks interesting but it might end up like a night out in the hangover 2, ladyboys and all that. Who knows what could happen... It does look nice though aside from that.

But I don't actually have a passport for international travel (I need to get on that). I also don't drive so i do need something that requires me to do nothing or be able to walk from A to B.

The novotel rooms at phuket look fucking amazing though and at only just over $100 a night. Dirt cheap.

I think I just need something within aus. Which is why i've been pondering hamiltion island for a good while. There's some basic night life if I wanted it along with things to see and do. Otherwise I can sit on my chair at the beach and read through a song of ice and fire book 4 and 5.

Choc

Banned
cookie its because annual leave is a liability included on a balance sheet of a business

having a high leave liability means high risk to the business

if eveyrone leaves @ the same tiem, cash flow is fucked

if someone leaves who has months of leave saved up, you need to have a lot of money in the bank to cover it

so every company tries to manage it.

jambo

aside from the fact hawaii is going into winter then

or do they just never have cold time?

:lol

"Winter day temperatures are usually in the low to mid 80s, (around 28 °C) and (at low elevation) seldom dipping below the mid 60s (18 °C) at night."

Tropics

Jintor

Man I am hype about the next cover feature on PCPP. I don't normally talk about this stuff, but it looks pretty hype.

The internet seems to have no knowledge of it too so we're probably under NDA.

Choc

Banned
Man I am hype about the next cover feature on PCPP. I don't normally talk about this stuff, but it looks pretty hype.

Playstation 4

oh wait PCPP, thats the hyper cover

edit: Liberal infighting begins

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/coalition-in-a-froth-over-milk-20120228-1u13a.html

Sources said Victorian Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella leapt to Senator Ryan's defence, telling Senator Heffernan: ''Why don't you go and pop your Alzheimer's pills.''

The exchange occurred after Mr Abbott's opening address in which he congratulated his team for its ''exemplary discipline'' while the Labor Party tore itself apart over recent days.

lol

Going to San Francisco next week. Gonna need some iOS games to me occupied on the flight. Any recommendations -stuff that's come out in the last year or so since I least bought games for my iPhone4/iPad 1? I'm llikley to grab a few things (and only play a few)

I still tend to just play Poker Smash, Bookworm and Peggle. Occasionally Plants Vs Zombies.

Other than that I have Mario 3DLand to play. I'd get MGS3 if it were out before I went but it isn't (lousy region lock). Is there a Rayman origins for 3DS yet?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Only fat white people go to Hawaii, So it would sorta make sense but i still think it's a little too far out.

I will probably just sit at home and ponder the meaning of life.

jambo

http://baldursgate.com/

Oh. God.

Please be a new game.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/baldurs-gate-project-in-the-works-at-beamdog-report-6354851

Though EA has yet to respond to a comment on the website, GameBanshee claims a new Baldur's Gate project is in the works at Beamdog. The company was cofounded by Trent Oster, a BioWare veteran who held various roles working games ranging from Neverwinter Nights to Dragon Age. Its credits include a remake of BioWare's MDK2 for the Wii and PC in 2011.

Speaking to GameBanshee, Oster confirmed only that his company has an announcement on the horizon, and that announcement does not pertain to the rumored Steam rereleases of the original games. A Beamdog representative confirmed this statement for GameSpot.

=D

pilonv1

aside from the fact hawaii is going into winter then

or do they just never have cold time?

LOL choc

except that they're in the NORTHERN hemisphere, which would mean they're going into Summer in May.

I went there in late October/November (heading into winter) and it was 28-29 everyday. Beautiful weather.

I would definitely recommend it, especially with the exchange rate. Our return flights were $800 with Jetstar.

markot

Banned
Sources said Victorian Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella leapt to Senator Ryan's defence, telling Senator Heffernan: ''Why don't you go and pop your Alzheimer's pills.''

Mirabella and Heffernan, goddamn the liberal party is scary >.>;

Choc

Banned
Wow at Tony's maternity leave policy. LET'S START HAVIN' KIDS!

It's no different to most of the world. Our maternity leave scheme now is ok, before we had a disgraceful way of treating women with that

and yes i know i got the season around the wrong way

:| how did i do that

VITA. #gamechanger

I'm just going to repeat everything Choc says 12 posts later with more misspellings, more jargon, and less punctuation.
oNlY iF YoU wRiTe LiKe ThIs.
Also more swears would make it entertaining.

I saw Leigh Alexander blubbering about something under NDA the other day, maybe the same thing? Although Alexander gets hyped about every little thing anyway.

My guess is Rise of Nations 2. :)
By Zynga. :(

http://baldursgate.com/

Oh. God.

Please be a new game.
By Bioware? Oh you sadist you!

Dragon Age Origins was a great followup with great potential to polish for a sequel. Maybe some day we will get DAO2.

LOL choc

except that they're in the NORTHERN hemisphere, which would mean they're going into Summer in May.

I went there in late October/November (heading into winter) and it was 28-29 everyday. Beautiful weather.

I would definitely recommend it, especially with the exchange rate. Our return flights were $800 with Jetstar.
Any more information? Sounds very tempting for a honeymoon in August!

Mirabella and Heffernan, goddamn the liberal party is scary >.>;
YOU GOT DUN CHOCED

Danoss

Exactly. No Tolkien means no D&D means no RPGs means no CRPGs.

I wouldn't go that far. The setting is one thing, the game system itself is another thing entirely. Whilst Tolkien's work did indeed have influence on the setting and theme of D&D, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that without him RPGs wouldn't exist. That's doing a major disservice to Gary Gygax an other early adopters who helped the medium evolve as it has.

Without Tolkien, I believe the RPG would have still emerged, though it would have debuted in the form of the D&D redbox differently.

Hot on the heels of D&D was Traveller, a hard sci-fi themed RPG that I don't think could be attributed to existing purely because of (insert influential sci-fi author here). Cyberpunk, Shadowrun and the glorious Call of Cthulhu came some time afterwards and it has really evolved nicely since then.

The indie RPG "story game" is starting to have a big impact on the industry; so much so that it has come full circle and D&D is trying to learn from them to bring back the story element to their game.

Anyway, I have deviated from my point. I just love RPGs and talking about them, even though they don't appeal to most of AusGAF.

Salazar

Sound like a bunch of morons. Never looked at the fighting game community to be honest.

What's deeply embarrassing - or complementarily embarrassing - is the idea, rife on GAF and probably elsewhere, that you have to be a part of this community to express an opinion on this shit. Like it's all way too deep for any outsiders to 'get'.

pilonv1

Any more information? Sounds very tempting for a honeymoon in August!

August might be worse because you're in their peak season (end of US summer, kids are on break).

But it's awesome, 30min flights between islands so you can always head off somewhere else if you're bored. Big Island has so much to do and see, and massive variations in climate. Hire a car and drive around. Plenty of affordable accomodation.

You really can't go wrong.

Kritz

Banned
Tolkien's ... Hot ... hard ... Cyber ... and the glorious ... time afterwards ... has come ... from my point. I just love ... them

Yet you still don't join our weekly DnD sessions :p.

We're still at a point where we're new enough at the game to have others join us and not mind anyone asking how certain mechanics or rules are done. Although considering all your tabletop experience I doubt you'd need any of that.

Top Bottom