• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I wouldn't go that far. The setting is one thing, the game system itself is another thing entirely. Whilst Tolkien's work did indeed have influence on the setting and theme of D&D, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that without him RPGs wouldn't exist. That's doing a major disservice to Gary Gygax an other early adopters who helped the medium evolve as it has.
No, possibly not, but without Tolkien's world building Gygax et al may not have had something they were passionate enough about to actually create D&D. It's easy to play 'what-if'; I believe something with the influence of D&D would've definitely been created eventually, but things wouldn't be anything like they are now.

Yet you still don't join our weekly DnD sessions :p.
If they weren't on Tuesdays I may consider it (I know the comment was directed at Danoss)...

Choc

Banned
August might be worse because you're in their peak season (end of US summer, kids are on break).

But it's awesome, 30min flights between islands so you can always head off somewhere else if you're bored. Big Island has so much to do and see, and massive variations in climate. Hire a car and drive around. Plenty of affordable accomodation.

You really can't go wrong.

Just like Test drive unlimited!

What's deeply embarrassing - or complementarily embarrassing - is the idea, rife on GAF and probably elsewhere, that you have to be a part of this community to express an opinion on this shit. Like it's all way too deep for any outsiders to 'get'.
This kind of insular thinking does give me the shits. Happens everywhere. Even big companies do it where they get stuck in their own line of thinking and the expectations of the greater world don't seem to mean shit to them as all they care about is their little club of people, fuck the rest.

August might be worse because you're in their peak season (end of US summer, kids are on break).

But it's awesome, 30min flights between islands so you can always head off somewhere else if you're bored. Big Island has so much to do and see, and massive variations in climate. Hire a car and drive around. Plenty of affordable accomodation.

You really can't go wrong.
Awesome, will look into it tonight. Hopefully it isn't too busy, just want to lay around and do nothing on the beach while getting wasted playing Vita and reading the Kindle.

Danoss

Yet you still don't join our weekly DnD sessions :p.

We're still at a point where we're new enough at the game to have others join us and not mind anyone asking how certain mechanics or rules are done. Although considering all your tabletop experience I doubt you'd need any of that.

I could join if you guys want, but I think your party is large enough at the moment. Anything larger than a party of 5 makes the combat drag on.

I'm in a game of 4e at the moment, playing a Human Storm Sorcerer. I should hit Level 2 in the second session in a fortnight. Even at Level 1 he's totally awesome, tearing shit up. I'm also the charismatic diplomat in my group, which is hard for me to play, but fun to learn.

One thing your group needs is some RP. Full on convos with NPCs in character. I'm still learning to do that myself, but it's heaps of fun. My group tends to RP things a bit more and then ask for rolls if needed based on what the player is trying to achieve. It's a bit easier when you write the adventure yourself though, rather than referencing a published adventure.

I know you guys are new, but if you get around to doing that sort of thing, I'm sure you'll really enjoy yourselves.

legend166

:lol

"Winter day temperatures are usually in the low to mid 80s, (around 28 °C) and (at low elevation) seldom dipping below the mid 60s (18 °C) at night."

Tropics

Completely aside from this, Hawaii is in the northern hemisphere, which means May is going into summer.

Edit: Beaten.

jambo

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/th...ds-an-adult-rating-for-video-games-be-passed/

After the R18+ classification bill was presented to Parliament on February 15, the Coalition asked that the bill be sent for an inquiry. That inquiry has now come back with the clear recommendation that the amendments to the Classification Act be made, and that an R18+ rating for video games should be implemented in Australia.

The inquiry came back with a single recommendation:

The Committee recommends that the House of Representatives pass the Classification (Publications, Films and Computer Games) Amendment (R 18+ Computer Games) Bill 2012.

Full steam ahead!

Completely aside from this, Hawaii is in the northern hemisphere, which means May is going into summer.

I didn't actually read when he was going there, I just read Choc's comment about winter in the tropics and lol'd

Clipper

OK, SydGAF Board Gamers, time to pick a date for day 2 now that it's essentially March, which is when we said we'd do this. Out of the 4th, 11th and 18th, what's good for everyone and most especially, which date do you prefer? I'm good for any or all of them, really. My preferences probably go with the 4th, but I can understand it's a little short notice. I say that as it might be good to do it on the 18th as well and make this a fortnightly thing, if everyone's OK with that.

I've got no qualms with venue being my place again unless anybody has a better idea.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i'm starting to think I should.

a) Hit up hamilton island or something along those lines locally. Nice relaxation holiday for 3 or 4 days. Read me some books, get sand up everywhere, see some animals and do as little as possible

If i'm still working here then in 3 months or so take another holiday. This time on the more adventurous side. Maybe get my passport ready and actually visit south korea. Get me a korean waifu and come back home.

I think that's a plan .. Maybe D:

Rezbit

So i'm starting to think I should.

a) Hit up hamilton island or something along those lines locally. Nice relaxation holiday for 3 or 4 days. Read me some books, get sand up everywhere, see some animals and do as little as possible

If i'm still working here then in 3 months or so take another holiday. This time on the more adventurous side. Maybe get my passport ready and actually visit south korea. Get me a korean waifu and come back home.

I think that's a plan .. Maybe D:

That sounds good man. Do it.

Will one of the A League junkies tell me why they terminated Clive Palmer's license?

Not an A-League junkie (don't even like soccer), but from what I gather watching Fox Sports News it's because he's being a massive dick about the whole thing. So they're like "SOIYA!"

GUYS

Max Payne 2 worth it? I have a 50% off for MP2. Willing to give away to peeps who want the following: Nuclear Dawn and ARES 50%s and Valve 33% too if you're interested.

edit: and Sol Survivor.

edit: realsed i cant. on linux at work and you cant trade via the site. sorry!

GUYS

Max Payne 2 worth it? I have a 50% off for MP2. Willing to give away to peeps who want the following: Nuclear Dawn and ARES 50%s and Valve 33% too if you're interested.

edit: and Sol Survivor.

edit: realsed i cant. on linux at work and you cant trade via the site. sorry!

MAX PAYNE 2 IS GODLY

Everyone should play it a few times.

pc_maxpayne2.jpg

Remember when standard packaging was awesome and not just for The Witcher 2? Ah Max Payne, my dear friend. I weep for your lost soul.

The revamp should be fun though.

Salazar

Clive Palmer a dick?? Thats impossible!

He hadn't renewed any contracts for next season.
He was saying, straight up, that football is shit.
He was saying, straight up, that the FFA are incompetent assholes.
He was trolling at every opportunity.
He had failed hard for a long time at promoting his club.
He made comical public remarks about a breakaway competition.

I'm surprised they didn't can him earlier.

What's deeply embarrassing - or complementarily embarrassing - is the idea, rife on GAF and probably elsewhere, that you have to be a part of this community to express an opinion on this shit. Like it's all way too deep for any outsiders to 'get'.

I'm really torn on this. On one hand I really enjoy the community aspect of GAF, but on the other hand I don't like this idea of a group with an "in crowd" where everyone else isn't really welcome. Feels weird.

Choc

Banned
Palmer was complaining that the FFA was not providing financial support to GC and the tv rights deals were not good enough

FFA said you can't make public statements like that and charged the club with bringing the game into disrepute

last weekend they fielded a team with 'Freedom of speech' on their jerseys. They were told 2 hours before the game those jerseys were not allowed. FFA almost canceleld the game but allowed it because Heart had travelled far.

Palmer won't change, FFA says well we can't deal with that and terminated the clubs licence.

edit: Given the FFA's reliance on taxpayers and billionaires to run the a-league, its a very, very risky move

Both expansion clubs have now folded within 2 seasons.

Fred.
Ship of Magic and Fools Errand have arrived at work for me. Will let you know if i like them or not. Unsure of when i will get around to reading though seeing as uni just started.

ps. Holy crap they are like 800 pages each :p

Omikron

Palmer was complaining that the FFA was not providing financial support to GC and the tv rights deals were not good enough

FFA said you can't make public statements like that and charged the club with bringing the game into disrepute

last weekend they fielded a team with 'Freedom of speech' on their jerseys. They were told 2 hours before the game those jerseys were not allowed. FFA almost canceleld the game but allowed it because Heart had travelled far.

Palmer won't change, FFA says well we can't deal with that and terminated the clubs licence.

edit: Given the FFA's reliance on taxpayers and billionaires to run the a-league, its a very, very risky move

FFA will now rapidly push through a Western Sydney franchise to keep the comp at 10 teams. ;)

Sweet. The others on the way?

Only got the 1st 2, to see if i like these series as well. I also have another book on the way, city of dragons, which should be here soon i hope.

I will let GF attempt to read these new ones, hopefully she likes. Dunno how much she will like fantasy though.

Rezbit

FFA will now rapidly push through a Western Sydney franchise to keep the comp at 10 teams. ;)

Tackle the AFL and NRL :O

If FFA want a sure thing they should come down to Tassie. I can't be worse supported than some of the other teams in the A-League, and soccer is played heaps at grassroots.

Omikron

Tackle the AFL and NRL :O

If FFA want a sure thing they should come down to Tassie. I can't be worse supported than some of the other teams in the A-League, and soccer is played heaps at grassroots.

A Tasmanian team sounds great, but I honestly don't think it is at all viable. Sure the game is played a lot at grassroots, but it is everywhere else as well and the support at the top end still isn't really translating all that well apart from say, Melbourne.

Canberra will get a team before Hobart/Tasmania. Particularly as they already have a successful W-League side.

Dead Man

I don't know the details of the situation, but I hate the 'bring the sport into disrepute' statement when people discuss something publicly.

A Tasmanian team sounds great, but I honestly don't think it is at all viable. Sure the game is played a lot at grassroots, but it is everywhere else as well and the support at the top end still isn't really translating all that well apart from say, Melbourne.

Canberra will get a team before Hobart/Tasmania. Particularly as they already have a successful W-League side.

Well, the gold coast is getting a team right? So I reckon a Canberra/ Hobart team won't be too far way. Kinda surprised there isn't one already, to be honest.

Fredescu

I'm hoping a Western Sydney team pops up and I'm hoping they decided to use a suburban ground like Parra Stadium rather than Olympic Park, but the financial incentives to play there will be too much I fear.

Fredescu

I don't know the details of the situation, but I hate the 'bring the sport into disrepute' statement when people discuss something publicly.
Sometimes it can be a bit of an airy fairy description, I agree, but if this was happening:

He was saying, straight up, that football is shit.
He was saying, straight up, that the FFA are incompetent assholes.

then they're probably right.

Omikron

Well, the gold coast is getting a team right? So I reckon a Canberra/ Hobart team won't be too far way. Kinda surprised there isn't one already, to be honest.

Err, GCU has just been booted from the A-League? :p

Or are you talking AFL/NRL? ;)

I'm hoping a Western Sydney team pops up and I'm hoping they decided to use a suburban ground like Parra Stadium rather than Olympic Park, but the financial incentives to play there will be too much I fear.

Absolutely... the failed West Sydney bids have been pretty disappointing. :(

Also, I think everyone thought that 3 teams in Qld was a stretch by anyones imaginations. The fact both have now gone is disappointing however.

Omikron

Yeah, but what if the FFA are incompetent arseholes?

And to some extent they probably are, but what does attacking them in the media achieve exactly other than just pissing them off?

From what I have read and understand of the situation, Palmer was just being a dick and not at all helpful when the FFA have come knocking asking what the issues are.

Dead Man

And to some extent they probably are, but what does attacking them in the media achieve exactly other than just pissing them off?

From what I have read and understand of the situation, Palmer was just being a dick and not at all helpful when the FFA have come knocking asking what the issues are.

Yeah, I have no doubt he is a dick and was not being helpful. I just don't like that phrase and the way it is invoked so glibly. And sometimes it useful to publicly state administrators are shit, sometimes that is the only way people find out these things.

Rezbit

I dunno, I think it could be. Adelaide and Wellington are only averaging crowds of around 8 or 9 thousand. Gold Coast last week had 1100 LOL. I reckon you could get 8 thousand to most games here, as long as it was well advertised. Plenty of lush grounds to play on, etc. But you're probably right, Tas will be the last place to get a guernsey, much like with an AFL team.

Omikron

Yeah, I have no doubt he is a dick and was not being helpful. I just don't like that phrase and the way it is invoked so glibly. And sometimes it useful to publicly state administrators are shit, sometimes that is the only way people find out these things.

I don't think it is invoked glibly when you are kicking a team from the competition.

Choc

Banned
ASHER MOSES 2:57pm | An Australian group-buying site owned by Microsoft and Nine sold e-book readers bundled with a treasure trove of thousands of pirated books including the full Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings series.

Salazar

ASHER MOSES 2:57pm | An Australian group-buying site owned by Microsoft and Nine sold e-book readers bundled with a treasure trove of thousands of pirated books including the full Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings series.

Time for a big, rough, unrelenting lawsuit.

Rezbit

We have two great grounds (one in Hobart, one in Launceston), and it's only about 2 hours drive between them. We can share.

Top Bottom