• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished up my assignment; hope it's right. Going edit and add in the references for the next few hours before I head to work!

Amazing how you go from zero to something that vaguely resembles writing in a short amount of time as the due date closes in.

Omikron

AUD just dropped below $1 USD.

Stupid government.

Also:
948acdce-baf0-11e2-a182-42e16e0aa6c8_gallery13may13--736x535.jpg

Omikron

I'm hoping it goes back down to 70ish and stays there.

Not super fussed I guess. Be interesting to see if things like steam prices go down if that does happen, because paying ~$80 USD for a new release is going to be insane. (I fucking doubt it.)

Fredescu

Not super fussed I guess. Be interesting to see if things like steam prices go down if that does happen, because paying ~$80 USD for a new release is going to be insane. (I fucking doubt it.)

Looks like the Euro is also climbing against the dollar. Dammit.

It sucks for buying games and such but in the long run it's better that companies want to make stuff here and that it's cheap for other countries to buy stuff from us.

did a few days back

True, I didn't realise. It popped right back up again though.

Gazunta

I read that Metro story and thought "yep, doesn't surprise me in the slightest".

Retailers put a crapload of pressure on publishers to include more content for extra money.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does the aud have any effect on housing peicsa? I'm going with fuck no but a man can dream.

Just means I will continue to wait for game sales which isn't anything new.

Shaneus

So this is awesome:
Rebel Wilson Got Her Own Show!

Well it’s pilot season in the States — and Rebel Wilson, Australia’s favourite and rudest export, announced overnight in an overexcited Tweet that her series, Super Fun Night, has been picked up by ABC in America (after being bought and then dropped by CBS).

It’s just another notch in the winning-streak-belt for Rebel, which kicked off with her role in Bridesmaids, continued through Bachelorette, Pitch Perfect and Pain And Gain, and most recently saw her hosting the MTV Movie Awards with Channing Tatum.

Super Fun Night is co-produced by Conan O’Brien, co-stars Kelen Coleman, (The Mindy Project, The Newsroom), Kevin Bishop (The Kevin Bishop Show), Lauren Ash (Lars And The Real Girl) and Liza Lapira (Don’t Trust The B In Apartment 23), and follows Wilson — a geeky lawyer — who, with her two geeky friends, decides to start making the most of their Friday nights.
rebelwilson-660x440.jpg

Dead Man

It sucks for buying games and such but in the long run it's better that companies want to make stuff here and that it's cheap for other countries to buy stuff from us.

If you have an export economy, sure. My personal economy is primarily import though :(

Sucks for me because I'm about to be buying lots of Euros for the next three months.

But good for me as I have a lot of US currency to convert ;)

Does the aud have any effect on housing peicsa? I'm going with fuck no but a man can dream.

More interest rate cuts are also expected, so house pricing will remain as it is, or go down if at all. Foreign investment into housing is going to be taxed with capital gains tax, so locals have a better chance of buying a house.

As it is, you can get decent stamp duty rebate on your first home. I'm expecting close to $3k to be returned to me, and this is after the 20k FHOG.

Dead Man

That only works if there are enough people with jobs to buy your stuff though right?

Nah, I meant I buy lots of stuff from overseas because it is still cheaper than Aus prices even with dollar parity. Now it will cost me more, either here or overseas. Australians in general import a lot of things, I think sometimes people think we manufacture more than we do. We export metal, and grain, and wool, primary products and shit, but bugger all manufactured goods. A weak dollar is good for some, bad for others, same as a strong dollar. I've just been on the receiving end of a weak dollar for so long I was looking forward to enjoying the strong dollar a bit longer.

Edit: Also, those mornings when you wake up with a huntsman warming himself in a beam of sunlight by your head fucking suck.

markot

Banned
Anyone here been to a Group Interview for getting a job at Bunnings? Got one today and I'm unsure what to expect.

Is it for a new store or something? Just googles it.

Its usually just alot of people talking, then you have a few simple tests, group discussions, and a finale one on one interview for like a few mins.

Dead Man

Anyone here been to a Group Interview for getting a job at Bunnings? Got one today and I'm unsure what to expect.

My ex did, she said it was boring but not too hard. Typical overblown group interview stuff, recruitment people justifying their pay cheques. Group exercises, role plays, that sort of rubbish.

Fredescu

Australians in general import a lot of things, I think sometimes people think we manufacture more than we do. We export metal, and grain, and wool, primary products and shit, but bugger all manufactured goods.

It's not just goods that are exported but services too. Service industries are being outsourced overseas because it's too expensive for multinationals to pay us here. The high dollar is driving various global industries out of this country. If the dollar looks like remaining this high forever, that's fine, but China aren't going to need our rocks forever. Commodity prices are dropping too. Over the next decade or so there will be a glut of unemployed ex miners looking for work. Where are they going to get it?

markot

Banned
It's not just goods that are exported but services too. Service industries are being outsourced overseas because it's too expensive for multinationals to pay us here. The high dollar is driving various global industries out of this country. If the dollar looks like remaining this high forever, that's fine, but China aren't going to need our rocks forever. Commodity prices are dropping too. Over the next decade or so there will be a glut of unemployed ex miners looking for work. Where are they going to get it?

We had that before though in the old mining towns.

I dont mean the ye olde gold rush ones, towns like newcastle... etc...

Dead Man

Which are all fine concerns, the problem is that imports and exports are about equal these days. So you fuck half the trade economy no matter which way you go. China will need our rocks forever, they just won't be available forever :)

Edit:
This is the easiest to read source I could find on export make up:
http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/stats-pubs/cot-fy-2011-12.pdf
se6ZwCx.png

it's still good cos yen is weak azzzzzz! 101ish

i'm optimistic about aud, i wouldn't expect it to tank just yet.

Its kind of bad while I'm getting paid in yen, but as long as I keep it in yen instead of AUD it should work out okay, especially if it stays that way into next year.

Fredescu

Which are all fine concerns, the problem is that imports and exports are about equal these days.

Only since March. That's a blip.

Take this graph back 10 years: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/balance-of-trade

And this one: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view=10Y

The dollar went above $1 when exports when crazy, but when they stopped being crazy the dollar didn't come back down. That it hasn't readjusted is will come back to bite us if it goes on too long.

China will need our rocks forever, they just won't be available forever :)

They will be available longer than China will maintain it's crazy state sponsored growth levels for. You've seen this stuff yeah? http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/watch/id/601007/n/China-s-Ghost-Cities

Deeku

Its kind of bad while I'm getting paid in yen, but as long as I keep it in yen instead of AUD it should work out okay, especially if it stays that way into next year.
oh i didn't know you were being paid in yen, so yeah i guess that's kinda bad. yen's gonna be weak or weaker for a long while too given what the gov and central bank are doing...but yeah just keep it yen and save it for kobe!

Dead Man

Only since March. That's a blip.

Take this graph back 10 years: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/balance-of-trade

And this one: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view=10Y

The dollar went above $1 when exports when crazy, but when they stopped being crazy the dollar didn't come back down. That it hasn't readjusted is will come back to bite us if it goes on too long.
I thought they had been near parity for some time:

1AkgpoB.png

The balance of trade graph shows differences of 3 billion dollars or so one way or the other, not a great deal in terms of the overall amount which is nearing 300 billion.

They will be available longer than China will maintain it's crazy state sponsored growth levels for. You've seen this stuff yeah? http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/watch/id/601007/n/China-s-Ghost-Cities

Everywhere needs rocks, there will always be a market for rocks as long as the rocks are available.

Fredescu

I thought they had been near parity for some time

Just different scales. The dollar was as low as 65c during that time. What problems did that cause?

Everywhere needs rocks, there will always be a market for rocks as long as the rocks are available.

I'm certainly not suggesting that demand for rocks will fall to zero. Any appreciable fall in demand for a particular industry will result in unemployment in that industry.

Edit: I missed an "un" in "unemployment"

Dead Man

Just different scales. The dollar was as low as 65c during that time. What problems did that cause?

I'm certainly not suggesting that demand for rocks will fall to zero. Any appreciable fall in demand for a particular industry will result in employment in that industry.

Personally for me it caused big problems trying to pay for overseas travel! That is my point lol.

Top Bottom