• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

Dirtbag

I was borderline blown away by the ps4 version, so I'm not really upset/surprised. Can't wait to see what Destiny 2 is like.

Vire

And I'm completely with them 100% on that choice.

BUT, here with Destiny, isn't *all* of the stuff you listed above calibrated to the level of the previous gen? If so, and it seems to be so by their words here, then you'd think they'd have a lot more power to play with on the current gen versions.

I'd love for Destiny to be 60 FPS. At the same time though, if that comes at the cost of player count in the open world, AI, size of levels or lighting - I don't really want it then.

Bungie has never been the most technically accomplished studio either so I feel like it's kinda futile hoping for more than what we got in the alpha. They have made significant strides at least since Halo 3... It's like hoping for From Software to make Bloodborne 60 FPS, it just isn't going to happen. That doesn't stop them from being two of my favorite studios though.

Zinthar

I don't get it, why is cross-gen the reason why Destiny can't be 60fps on the current gen systems? If the biggest restriction for designing the game is last gen consoles, wouldn't the extra power allow for higher res, effects and fps?

Your analysis is sensible, if you believe that Bungie's PR statement had a shred of truth to it.

My guess is that Bungie feels like they need the image quality of their next-gen version to Destiny to have a semblance of parity with other fall 2014 games, and their engine simply isn't in a state where they can get 60 fps while achieving that.

Bungie hasn't had a great track record with their game engines -- they couldn't manage to get 720p/30 fps on the Xbox 360 until Halo: Reach, and even that effort was put to shame by what 343 did graphically in Halo 4.

barrok

Neo Member
Seems like a bad choice if there isn't cross platform competition. If there was, it would make complete sense.

BigDug13

Let's be real here. The PS3 version of this game isn't going to run at 30fps. It will be sub-30 for nearly the entire game.

Vire

Well if enemy A.I in alpha is any indication, doesn't bode well for retail..

I thought the AI was great on Legend difficulty in the Strike. Hiding behind cover, captains teleporting to safe spots, being aggressive when you are low on health.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well if enemy A.I in alpha is any indication, doesn't bode well for retail..

Eh, the A.I was pretty impressive, especially on Strike in legend difficulty.

Methinks you played it for like an hour or 2, and then went ''Meh, not for me''. Just an assumption, don't take it personally. :p

Gaz_RB

I think that Bungie probably appreciates the performance overhead that a locked 30 fps on PS4 offers, especially with the unpredictable nature of what can be displayed on the screen at any given time in a game like Destiny.

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a forreal locked 60 fps game on the scale of Destiny on these new consoles. It always has dips and such. At this point it's a bit unrealistic to really hope for 60 fps games, sad to say.

MMaRsu

Banned
I dont expwct 60fps in a game like this. Although I dislike next gen console parity. Please do not downgrade the PS4 version.

MDSLKTR

Methinks you played it for like an hour or 2, and then went ''Meh, not for me''. Just an assumption, don't take it personally. :p
Yup the IA was up there with the halo skirmishes.

Bungie has never been the most technically accomplished studio either so I feel like it's kinda futile hoping for more than what we got in the alpha. They have made significant strides at least since Halo 3... It's like hoping for From Software to make Bloodborne 60 FPS, it just isn't going to happen. That doesn't stop them from being two of my favorite studios though.
Fair enough, and well put.

Enemy AI was pretty good in the Alpha.
Definitely better to actually play against than to watch in those pre-alpha streams. When you're in it you can really feel the combat flow, and thats where Bungie does their best work.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I think that Bungie probably appreciates the performance overhead that a locked 30 fps on PS4 offers, especially with the unpredictable nature of what can be displayed on the screen at any given time in a game like Destiny.

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a forreal locked 60 fps game on the scale of Destiny on these new consoles. It always has dips and such. At this point it's a bit unrealistic to really hope for 60 fps games, sad to say.

Well, I wouldn't want them to go 60 FPS if they couldn't keep it locked at all times IMO.

syko de4d

Every single one has been 30 FPS. This is nothing new for Bungie, they value improved AI, lighting and large worlds over framerate.

the AI need to be done on the servers, or? If you play with other peoples against AI´s you cant let each client calculate their own AI. So AI shouldnt eat ressources of the consoles.

cripterion

Nah I played it till level 8. AI was like any other mmo AI, with the aggro and what not. Maybe I was expecting too much.

All the downgrade for a 10%-20% sales split. Shame.

But the game is fun as hell and respectable graphics if the scope is as big as they say.

The co-op portion of this game is just fine at 30 fps and the multiplayer is junk anyway. 30fps will do.

And it's funny how schizo NeoGaf is. In the alpha threads it's all how amazing and great it is. Now it's all boo Destiny, boo crossgen! lol

Zinthar

No. KZ runs by default with unlocked framerate averaging 45-50

added: 35-40 SP

Also, the IQ in Killzone is arguably the most impressive seen on current gen FPS.

A lot of games that are locked at 30 fps could easily do 35-40 if they were unlocked. As primarily a PC gamer who almost always adjusts settings to play at 60 fps, Killzone SP felt like it might as well have been a locked 30.

Also, the scale of Killzone (including very obvious use of skyboxes) really takes away from its impressiveness, IMO. I think I'd take certain levels of BF4's SP (particularly the hurricane/tank mission) and some of AC4 over Killzone. Killzone, graphically, reminds me of a less impressive Crysis 3 PC (admittedly, this is probably an unfair comparison).

The co-op portion of this game is just fine at 30 fps and the multiplayer is junk anyway. 30fps will do

408_getting_to_No.jpg

Vire

All the downgrade for a 10%-20% sales split. Shame.

But the game is fun as hell and respectable graphics if the scope is as big as they say.
Watch Dogs had 25% on last gen if I'm not mistaken. Even at 25% of sales, that's still around 2 million copies sold.

Probably still worth it in the minds of the publisher.

Eusis

This is the stupidest analogy ever.

By your logic, $59.99 for Destiny 30fps, but you can get it at 60fps for a premium, $79.99 price. Tiered internet =/= games. Poor comparison my friend.
More importantly even with this analogy... you're getting 1080p on next gen and I REALLY don't see that happening on last gen. So yeah, you're paying more you're getting more, it's probably more like in order to not break compatibility with older hardware they won't do any upgrades that could really ratchet up your internet, IE getting everyone on fiber or something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Watch Dogs had 25% on last gen if I'm not mistaken. Even at 25% of sales, that's still around 2 million copies sold.

Probably still worth it in the minds of the publisher.

Wait... what?

Where are you getting 8 million Watch Dog copies sold? It didn't even do two million in the U.S.

Also, where is this 25% split coming from?

Well let Destiny 2 be 60fps and not cross gen.

I feel like Naughty Dog will set the 60fps standard with UC4 which all devs making action games will want to copy. If the best is doing it, the others will follow and not wanna stay behind. Suddenly 60fps will become the hype on the console scene.

Eusis

Something to remember about Naughty Dog or anyone else setting standards: Call of Duty was THE most successful FPS last gen and almost every other FPS and TPS that wasn't some retro re-release was 30 fps, and many of those were too.

Maybe last gen was just kind of awkward for getting 60 fps without significantly compromising higher resolution or newer visuals, but you'd think if publishers and developers thought it was that important to follow in the footsteps of others in regards to fps they would've been starting to get their games at 60 fps regularly after 2007.

I can handle 30 fps in destiny but after playing the alpha i think bungie need to add motion blur, the fov could also do with improvement. It feels like a really "rough" 30.

I feel like Naughty Dog will set the 60fps standard with UC4 which all devs making action games will want to copy. If the best is doing it, the others will follow and not wanna stay behind. Suddenly 60fps will become the hype on the console scene.

Yep - Naughty Dog earned a ton of respect from me when they decided to go 60fps (same with 343i). They could have easily kept pumping out 30fps games and no one would have minded.

They'd definetly lose sales but at the same time next gen only would probably mean a lot of those PS360 owners upgrading consoles to get Watch Dogs so I don't think they'd lose out exactly on that 24%.

Yep - Naughty Dog earned a ton of respect from me when they decided to go 60fps (same with 343i). They could have easily kept pumping out 30fps games and no one would have minded.

I do wonder what they could do with 30fps though.

Vire

Seems a little silly to even compare Uncharted to Destiny though. One is a tightly scripted, linear game, the other features huge open landscapes roughly 10 times the size of a single Uncharted level.

Of course it's much easier to hit 60 FPS...

rokkerkory

I don't know why anyone would be up in arms about this. Bungie is a great established dev that's not gonna short cut and ALL of their games have been 30fps.

Why expect anything else other than great games from them?

Seems a little silly to even compare Uncharted to Destiny though. One is a tightly scripted, linear game, the other features huge open landscapes roughly 10 times the size of a single Uncharted level.

Of course it's much easier to hit 60 FPS...

Should Destiny be 6fps then cuz it's 10x larger?

They could do marginal update on the graphics of Destiny 2 while all work just goes into making the game 60fps and I would be okay with that. Destiny even being a cross gen game looks amazing, you see the alpha on PS4 and you'd have a hard time saying it's cross gen. Minor updates on that + increased fps would be fine.

Of course, I'm not advocating for 60fps, I just want solid frames at 30 or 60 doesn't matter. The last thing you'd want is wonky ass frames.

Top Bottom