• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

Gurrry

Am I reading this right? So basically no 60fps because it would be unfair to other consoles and everyone should have the same experience?

Someone clarify this for me before I break something.

I think the game was always going to be at 30 fps.

But the main gripe for me is that they are building this bad ass new game with 360 and PS3 being the anchor around their leg. Instead of shooting for the stars and going all out on next gen, they want the versions across the board to be the same.

Banned
I'm gonna say what I said about Bungie last time there was a controversial stat went made about Destiny.

SHUTUP Bungie and just make the game. Don't do any PR, don't try to spin it, leave it to Activision and just focus on the game.

After all, Activision is the one spending $500M on this game and marketing so they're the ones who wanted this game on last gen to get the potential higher sales.

Nzyme32

It's a fucking MMO-esque FPS, not a 3D Mario Platformer. Granted there's different considerations for the online functionality, but isn't that why you partnered with Activision, to get Blizzard expertise?

Yeah, you'd think that. I think it is more to do with maximising console sales as they know the PC sale would cannibalise that. Further to that, they would probably be happy to grab a few double dippers on the way

It's a fucking MMO-esque FPS, not a 3D Mario Platformer. Granted there's different considerations for the online functionality, but isn't that why you partnered with Activision, to get Blizzard expertise?

They're probably taking time looking for a way to charge for the online of the PC version.

Teletraan1

Banned
So why didn't they max it out for previous gen and then get that running on current gen @ 60fps with better image quality.

A FPS not running at 60fps on PS4, sounds gimped to me, especially if the reason comes down to not wanting to make it a too much different experience from last gen versions..
He also said it was for gameplay reasons.

60fps and 1080p isn't the be-all, end-all in the quality of a game or how well it plays.

Come on, don't do this.
Thread pretty much reads that way from those with their shiny new mid-range fixed hardware PCs. :p

It just seems naive to conclude last-gen parity is a cause for framerate locking instead of the more likely conclusion of being in parity with the other contemporary hardware. The last-gen version is going to be far from on par with the current-gen ones so reading into the framerate locking for those reasons just seems like a scapegoat.

cripterion

60fps and 1080p isn't the be-all, end-all in the quality of a game or how well it plays.

I would have enjoyed the game better if it was 60fps, I mean hell, the alpha wasn't 30fps thought out all sections.

UrbanRats

^^^Well, it's an "alpha" for a reason, you can't expect a stable framerate.
But i would like them to at least aim for 60.

What gameplay reasons? Serious question.

I can see not aiming for 1080p in favor of other, more crucial to gameplay elements, but 60fps is pretty damn crucial in an FPS.

Response time + greatly reduced sense of nausea for a lot of people + general fluidity.

I am curious to know what's more important than that, but again, if push comes to shove, i'd say it's still more important to prioritize that above pretty graphics, in this case.

Freeman

Banned
Why care so much about parity? Will all versions be able to play against/with each other?

Why care about parity at all?

I've already expressed my disappointment in this thread, I was really hoping for this to feel like a true next-gen game. After some thought, I can be happy with it as a superior version of a game that was always designed with last-gen in mind. As long as the framerate is LOCKED at 30, it should feel smooth enough that I can get used to it. The alpha definitely felt like it was regularly dropping lower though - was there a DF analysis on this yet?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Seems developers are intent on doing 30fps this gen. I'd be ok with a 30fps campaign if they could make the multiplayer 60fps.

atpbx

So, I have to play the lower quality Xbone version, even though I don't own an Xbone.

If I wanted to play a lower quality product, I'd of gone with Microsoft,

Let's hope Microsoft unleash the unlimited power of the cloud and unleash some more performance so I can have a better PS4 version.

or something.

Badgerst3

Honestly dont care. The game is incredible on my ps4.

Let bungie make destiny2 1080p and 60fps. Maybe more will have to choose a new console to play it. Good ploy activison!

Bungie- keep doing what you do.

Activison- your job to spin it.

Was just talking in another thread about how PR spin really does work.

Prime example right there.

How so? If Bungie placed more importance in achieving 720p and 60fps with Halo 3, there go the non-linear scarab encounters. There go the battles on Tsavo Highway. There go the huge battles on The Ark and The Covenant.

UrbanRats

So Killzone was gimped?

Killzone wasn't cross gen, what's your point? I didn't play it, but if they chose shiny graphics over 60fps, given the type of game, yeah i'd say that was shitty decision.

Then again Killzone was probably created as the visual showcase for the PS4 launch, so at least they have that excuse.

cripterion

I've already expressed my disappointment in this thread, I was really hoping for this to feel like a true next-gen game. After some thought, I can be happy with it as a superior version of a game that was always designed with last-gen in mind. As long as the framerate is LOCKED at 30, it should feel smooth enough that I can get used to it. The alpha definitely felt like it was regularly dropping lower though - was there a DF analysis on this yet?

When my char was in town (which is not even that big of an area) and with some characters around, it had the feel low 20's fps

Make like ffxiv and drop the last gen versions after supporting them for a year or so. Offer free upgrades to current gen. That's the best way.

They didn't drop support for PS3 FFXIV. It's always going to be there holding the other versions back, but that's okay because everyone plays together. There's no reason for parity if each platform has it's own servers.

Seanspeed

Banned
How so? If Bungie placed more importance in achieving 720p and 60fps with Halo 3, there go the non-linear scarab encounters. There go the battles on Tsavo Highway. There go the huge battles on The Ark and The Covenant.
I don't understand what these have to do with framerate.

Wurdfurd

So, I have to play the lower quality Xbone version, even though I don't own an Xbone.

If I wanted to play an lower quality product, I'd of gone with Microsoft,

Seriously? Read the OP and leave your "Xbone" hate/fanboyism out of it. You are playing a lower quality version because of 360/PS3. Cross-gen has affected a lot of games so far, and thats to be expected.

I fully expect the One/PS4 versions of the game to be nearly identical, beautiful, polished looking games.

Seanspeed

Banned
Killzone wasn't cross gen, what's your point? I didn't play it, but if they chose shiny graphics over 60fps, given the type of game, yeah i'd say that was shitty decision.

Then again Killzone was probably created as the visual showcase for the PS4 launch, so at least they have that excuse.
It wasn't cross gen - that is exactly my point! ;)

Its a developer decision, not an effect of cross-gen holding it back.

Killzone could have been 60fps if they wanted, but weren't willing to sacrifice on graphics(being a showcase launch game and all).

QaaQer

Seriously? Read the OP and leave your "Xbone" hate/fanboyism out of it. You are playing a lower quality version because of 360/PS3. Cross-gen has affected a lot of games so far, and thats to be expected.

I fully expect the One/PS4 versions of the game to be nearly identical, beautiful, polished looking games.

If x1 was the baseline, I could live with that. ps3? fuuuuck.

If I wanted to play a lower quality product, I'd of gone with Microsoft,

Let's hope Microsoft unleash the unlimited power of the cloud and unleash some more performance so I can have a better PS4 version.

or something.

lol

cripterion

You seriously think this game is 30fps on ps4 and Xbox one because of old gen consoles?

UrbanRats

When my char was in town (which is not even that big of an area) and with some characters around, it had the feel low 20's fps

Again, you can't take an Alpha as an example of final performance.

60fps is great. I mean a game running at 60fps is quick and you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. But when a game runs at 30fps devs can then use the power to make the game more beautiful. It's kinda a trade off when it comes to consoles. I personally don't care if a game runs at 30 or 60. It still comes down to, "Is the gameplay fun?" I've played the Alpha, and it is, and is also pretty good looking. Either way, it's not going to stop me from buying it on PS4.

Top Bottom