• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Every build of Destiny, on all four platforms, has been treated uniquely from the beginning. One example of that in practice is the recent 1080p res update for Xbox One.

Destiny looks great on all four platforms, and you'll get to see every one of them running live in Beta well before launch.

:)

Karl Hawk

Banned
Every build of Destiny, on all four platforms, has been treated uniquely from the beginning. One example of that in practice is the recent 1080p res update for Xbox One.

Destiny looks great on all four platforms, and you'll get to see every one of them running live in Beta well before launch.

Glad you're here, urk. Hope this thread didn't lower your moral. :p

Game looks fine, plays good at 30 fps...and Bungie answered the question in a non-idiotic way.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Game developer gives rational explanation for why game isn't 60 fps - should have been a one page thread.

majik13

Isn't that just moving goal posts? And, no it's not a rarity. It'll be more common as we proceed through this not even 1 year old generation.

real question, how many graphicaly intense multiplatform games are 1080p/60fps on current gen consoles? And all I can comment on is current games, cant predect the future, but sure yeah it will be more common, especially after last gen is no longer supported.

just saying, off the top of my had its the exception not the rule.

Gurrry

But isn't this thread focused on discussing the quote from the article? They're literally saying that the reason the game looks and runs the way it does on every console, is because they wanted to balance it out, and make it run and look similarly on current and last generation consoles.

If they had said the game runs and looks the way it does, because of hardware limitations on current generation consoles, they would have. But they didn't.

We're going to have to wait and see how the Beta runs on last generation consoles before we can assume that hardware limitations were the cause.

No youre right, thats why I was saying it isnt being held back by Xbox One.

If anything, the game is being held back by 360 and PS3. Plenty of games coming out now are 1080/60 on PS4. So if Bungie wanted/could do that, Im sure they would have.

Bungie has already shown that they are partial to Sony, so I dont think it would be hurting any relations with MS by having Destiny at 60 fps on PS4.

no it's not a rarity. It'll be more common as we proceed through this not even 1 year old generation.

why would it be more common? look at the upcoming games

games that won't be 1080p/60fps: drive club, the division, bloodborn, the order, witcher 3, the crew

pretty sure these won't be either: arkham knight, far cry 4, ac unity

UrbanRats

"[...]We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,”

If you're buying a game on an 8 years old hardware, why would you expect "the same experience" as someone who's buying it on 2 years old hardware?
Goddamn crossgen.

And how much will that matter? If Bungie feels 30fps is better for the scale of their gameplay, whatever they want to achieve, is that so damning?

In an FPS, especially one with competitive aspects, 60fps is pretty crucial, yes.

If anything not to vomit on the screen after 5 minutes.

So Bungie is saying there is no reason for me to upgrade to a Ps4/Xb1 because I will be getting the same experience on my old 360? Thanks, Bungie. I'll be sure to double-dip when it comes out on PC, though - for that 60fps, 1440p and non-nausea inducing narrow FOV. Just don't leave it too long.

Eusis

And how much will that matter? If Bungie feels 30fps is better for the scale of their gameplay, whatever they want to achieve, is that so damning?
Huh, for some reason I was thinking he meant cross-gen there, in which case it would be kind of crazy to still do that for a high end game 3 years after the new systems came out.

Just for 30 fps... yeah, anyone just needs to look at Bungie's history. They're not going 60 fps unless there's some crazy high pressure on them to do so, and given they're not going for a more open shooter they have a better defense than many others do.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you're buying a game on an 8 years old hardware, why would you expect "the same experience" as someone who's buying it on 2 years old hardware?
Goddamn crossgen.
Are you sure the years are right? I think it's 16 vs. 4 at this point

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not like they have it running at 60 on PS4 and are like, screw it, let's just cap it a 30.

MADGAME

Is it 1080p on last-gen consoles? No? Then why is it okay for THAT not to be the same experience but frame rate must be?

Edit...it's not 1080p on PS3/360 is it?

UrbanRats

Maybe some people want to play the game but can't afford a new console?

They can play the game, but not expect the same experience.
For obvious reasons.

There will always be an entry level "wall" anyway, if you put it that way.

Are you sure the years are right? I think it's 16 vs. 4 at this point
Right, i guess PS4 and Xbone would be 1 year old hardware, once Destiny is out.

8 years should be correct though.

TVC 15

Neo Member
MGS:Ground Zeroes 30fps sub 720 on last gen then 60fps 720 XbOne, 60fps PS4 1080p?

Experience parity is a choice don't make it a feature.

They can play the game, but not expect the same experience.
For obvious reasons.

There will always be an entry level "wall" anyway, if you put it that way.

Well, it's not just matchmaking specs but, as many users have said, it can also be about maintaining the same feeling between all versions.

MGS:Ground Zeroes 30fps sub 720 on last gen then 60fps 720 XbOne, 60fps PS4 1080p?

Experience parity is a choice don't make it a feature.

But all versions of the game are still "a more sandbox MGS set on a military base with relatively open-ended approaches to solving missions"

"Same experience" doesn't have to only mean graphical specs.

Salz01

It looks good, but doesn't look great. You can totally tell its a cross platform game, and they have said it for awhile. But it shouldn't excuse the dips lower than 30 on the ps4 or xBone, and I think they will fix it.

That snow though, I hate it. And I wish I could turn it off.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Am I reading this right? So basically no 60fps because it would be unfair to other consoles and everyone should have the same experience?

Someone clarify this for me before I break something.

UrbanRats

Well, it's not just matchmaking specs but, as many users have said, it can also be about maintaining the same feeling between all versions.

You can't get the same feeling 1:1, unless you intentionally gimp the current gen versions though.

60fps being a pretty high priority in an FPS (again, if anything to avoid nausea which is very common among players), you'd think they would at least let those with a capable enough HW to have a fluid experience.

Ideally you'd have 60fps on all 4 platforms, but i can understand them not wanting to cut enough visual spectacle from the old HW, but why hold back current gen systems, too?

Someone playing on 360 could've upgraded to Xbone/PS4 in the future (after some pricecuts, for example), getting the better experience eventually.
This way no one will, ever.

MADGAME

Am I reading this right? So basically no 60fps because it would be unfair to other consoles and everyone should have the same experience?

I recommend breaking bread, $100 bills, or your own personal best record at something.

Sounds pretty much right. Wouldn't want people gaming on eight-year-old hardware to feel inferior. That wouldn't be fair.

Eusis

It will. Activision are unlikely to leave an opportunity for money around. In fact, this came about this week, so chance are not so bad

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ac...-destiny-on-pc-is-a-natural-fit/1100-6420475/
But Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg also admits that "developing on PC is a different animal."
It's a fucking MMO-esque FPS, not a 3D Mario Platformer. Granted there's different considerations for the online functionality, but isn't that why they partnered with Activision, to get Blizzard expertise?

Thanks urk.

Does this mean we could see a performance or frame bump on PS4 before launch? Or was it locked at 30 to avoid fluctations?

Eusis

Thanks urk.

Does this mean we could see a performance or frame bump on PS4 before launch? Or was it locked at 30 to avoid fluctations?
They'll probably lock to avoid fluctuations, it arguably is an area where going for even performance is easily a must.

Jomjom

Banned
Make like ffxiv and drop the last gen versions after supporting them for a year or so. Offer free upgrades to current gen. That's the best way.

UrbanRats

Current-gen version don't feel gimped at all.

A FPS not running at 60fps on PS4, sounds gimped to me, especially if the reason comes down to not wanting to make it a too much different experience from last gen versions.

Not that Destiny looks incredibly above everything else graphically, either, but if you must, cut a bit on visual flair and reach those 60fps, which in a game like this, are much more crucial.

Top Bottom