• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Any good deals on cheap routers? I'm moving soon to a really small 3 1/2 appartment and I need something basic for streaming, video games and general internet use.

There's a quick sale at Bestbuy so I was thinking either this one or this one, but I'm not sure if the N300 is good enough for me or if I really need a dual-band router since I'll have 3 devices (cellphone, computer, console) connected to my Wi-Fi at most.

btw, does EBgames still sell 360 preowned games in stores? havent been to one in over ayear.

Pretty sure I saw some last time I went.

Speaking of EBgames, do you guys know how much I could get for the original 3DS in clean condition?

krae_man

Anyone else get the Gamers Club email about home automation, then the proper email a few hours later? :lol

Unfortunately we're back to getting two of the same email again :(

jholmes

Yeah. That's the only new one for me.

Yoshi's Woolly World got the drop (I pre-ordered it last E3 so this doesn't help me) and so did Rare Replay, which I'm not getting because I don't have an Xbone but is a pretty sweet deal since the game's already really cheap and is a day away from release.

krae_man

New Deal

bNkrP5v.jpg

:lol

At least I got a scanner code discount on the ink cartridge I wanted.

Robert807

Yes you pay tax on Xbox live purchases. I just paid 3.90 $ on rare replay that was 29.99. It's weird no tax on psn purchases. I think I use to pay tax on psn, I'm not sure why they stopped it.

Roto13

All right, thanks. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow and buy the retail version of Rare Replay.

I seem to remember that PSN used to charge sales tax everywhere in Canada except Ontario and I think now it doesn't charge them anywhere in Canada? It's pretty sweet. Especially with crazy game prices. Sales tax on an $80 is a lot.

JazzmanZ

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
All right, thanks. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow and buy the retail version of Rare Replay.

I seem to remember that PSN used to charge sales tax everywhere in Canada except Ontario and I think now it doesn't charge them anywhere in Canada? It's pretty sweet. Especially with crazy game prices. Sales tax on an $80 is a lot.
PSN used to charge tax in Ontario also. They stopped either just before or just after the hack. I'm too lazy to check my purchase history to pin it down either way.

FrsDvl

Amazon is pretty sweet. Decided I wanted to get mgs v for ps4 instead of xb1. They let me place a new order and applied the 30% off from the e3 promo.

I'll definitely do business with them again.

the3ye

Promo is not stacking, they just reduced some games by 10% and there's another 10% (with code) on top of that. Previous orders are only affected by that first 10% off.

Joeku

Not really related, but what's the cheapest place to get passport photos? Got into the top 20 of this year's 24-hour film race and gonna go to a gala in New York. Haven't left the country in like 12 years, though.

Rather, anyone have enough experience doing them at home to not be afraid of having the pictures turned down? I'm not afraid of doing it wrong, I just feel like they'd be able to smell out the self-done ones and would be more likely to turn them down.

Also going to try some American fast food for the first time. Fuck this Canadian dollar.

daevv

Not really related, but what's the cheapest place to get passport photos?

Walmart does them for cheap. They also know what will be accepted or not and make sure you do it correctly. I find Steak n Shake, 5 Guys, and most pizza places have cheap food in the U.S.

Lexxism

Rather, anyone have enough experience doing them at home to not be afraid of having the pictures turned down? I'm not afraid of doing it wrong, I just feel like they'd be able to smell out the self-done ones and would be more likely to turn them down.
It should be taken by a commercial photographer since it must have the photo studio info at the back of the picture

How did you get this code to stack with the e3 promos? contact amazon CS?

The VGAUGUST code at Amazon does NOT stack with the E3 discount. The only way you get additional discounts on your E3 order is through price adjustments, which require the list price of the item to change. In other words:

vbIVh7e.png

Fallout 4 was $79.99 during E3. The page now shows $71.99. This game will get its price adjusted on all pre-orders, meaning instead of the original 30% off $79.99, you'll now get 30% off $71.99 instead. Generally, if the sale price of the individual item is lower than the sale price listed in your E3 order, you can expect your order to adjust automatically to match the new lower price, and then get 30% on top of that.

KD10Xwb.png

DanganRonpa Another Episode was $49.99 during E3 and is still $49.99 now. While it is eligible for the VGAUGUST coupon as well, the base price has not changed. Coupon codes do not affect the sale price on individual items, and thus will not trigger a price adjustment.

@Wreck

Are you closer to a best buy? If it's still in stock there or at Yorkdale you can try and price match. Worked for me.

Edit: Also, I think the stock totals for The Source only change overnight so you may want to give them a call. The good thing about that is you should be able to try and price match with Best Buy throughout the day as long as they don't call the store. YMMV of course.

did you just show them the website on your phone? or print out? (if you don't mind me asking)

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Goddamnit, Amazon.. I'm prime, too.

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on June 18, 2015
(Order #):

"Rare Replay - Xbox One"

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on June 18, 2015 (Order#
). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected
delivery date(s):

"Rare Replay - Xbox One"
Estimated arrival date: August 07, 2015

Sigh.

N° 2048

Like I always say when I see this on here... We shouldn't promote committing fraud.

The value of the game is the same to all retailers first two weeks of release usually...

I'm not returning something of less value, something broken, or the wrong product.

If someone came to my shop and did that we wouldn't even realize and it not affect our finances at all. So it really doesn't make sense how it's "fraud".

The value of the game is the same to all retailers first two weeks of release usually...

I'm not returning something of less value, something broken, or the wrong product.

If someone came to my shop and did that we wouldn't even realize and it not affect our finances at all. So it really doesn't make sense how it's "fraud".

Purchasing something with the intent of returning it is fraud. Returning something else even if it's identical is certainly fraud. I'm assuming you're not the owner of your shop, if paid by credit/debit a retailer gets charged a percentage for the transaction and gets charged for refunding a transaction. So a store owner loses money for no reason. Unless the transaction is paid by cash. However, under the theory of time is money - you also are wasting someone's time even in that case.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just grab a copy from a local video game shop and return the Amazon one when it arrives.

Like I always say when I see this on here... We shouldn't promote committing fraud.

Purchasing something with the intent of returning it is fraud. Returning something else even if it's identical is certainly fraud. I'm assuming you're not the owner of your shop, if paid by credit/debit a retailer gets charged a percentage for the transaction and gets charged for refunding a transaction. So a store owner loses money for no reason. Unless the transaction is paid by cash. However, under the theory of time is money - you also are wasting someone's time even in that case.

Not itching to play it enough that I NEED it day one, but the principle is that they couldn't get me the game when it was supposed to be out.

They've probably purposefully delayed E3 preorder folk because of the deep discount we got on the game,

khaaan

I don't know if it counts as fraud but the main reason I stopped doing it was because I felt like I wasn't being fair. Amazon gets money even if I'm unhappy with their shipping speed while the other retailer gets absolutely nothing even though they are able to provide the game I want at the time I want.

Tik-Tok

Is BloodBorne on sale anywhere? I'm almost done with Batman Arkham Knight and I would like to dig in to that next before MGSV comes out.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
People are making it seem as it you were returning an open copy or a scratched disc...

N° 2048

I know our merchant fees. Not fraud. Not discussing this more though in case a GAF higher up does see it as fraud. Better safe than sorry for a touchy subject.

People are making it seem as it you were returning an open copy or a scratched disc...

Yerp.

I'm also prime.

Damn then, sorry dude :(

I tried Prime trial, didn't notice anything different with shipping speeds or anything.

Dazzler

I think returning a game to a retailer just because Amazon were slow with shipping is pretty shitty behaviour

You're wasting the retailer's time and money, just because you're impatient

baconcow

Not debating whether it is or not fraud, but let me throw this out there:

If I buy one copy from Amazon and one copy from Wal-Mart. The copies are virtually identical. I put them on my shelf together. I shuffle them up until I don't know which is which. I decide I only want one. I return this one to Wal-Mart. Was this really a fraudulent act, a decision of questionable morality, or neither?

Edit: This discussion really ought to be in another section of the forums.

N° 2048

If I buy one copy from Amazon and one copy from Wal-Mart. The copies are virtually identical. I put them on my shelf together. I shuffle them up until I don't know which is which. I decide I only want one. I return this one to Wal-Mart. Was this really a fraudulent act, a decision of questionable morality, or neither?

but they lose 50 cents in debit fees...

cLCCrC9.gif

Who wants Wal Mart to lose 50 cents!? What a crime.

Tik-Tok

No offense but your scenario is ridiculous and completely irrelevant.

Edit: I have no opinion on the morality of the discussion at hand. I would like to point out though, that unless your own time is completely worthless to you, chances are the savings you got from pre-ordering from Amazon have been completely negated by the time you go out and purchase another copy, and then spent time returning it. You should have just pre-ordered from a place that would have got it to you day one, or not pre-ordered at all.

Top Bottom