• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada's export industries have an incentive to keep the Canadian dollar low; it means export goods are cheaper and more attractive to foreign markets. So long as the Canadian market relies primarily on exports like crude oil, there will always be an incentive on the part of the government to keep the dollar from rising too high. Parity may not be something we see for quite a while.

Of course, who knows what Trump will do. In the most extreme scenarios, I could see Canadian exports doing well due to US boycotts. Or we could all be dead because of nuclear war. Who knows.

Lexxism

Not too sure to be honest, was just making a point that people are calling the deals this Black Friday as shit because they can't let go of the idea of old prices for games.
I can't really blame them if they think that way. I mean it's not like our income increased by 30% to compensate for the shitty $.

Maximus.

I can't really blame them if they think that way. I mean it's not like our income increased by 30% to compensate for the shitty $.

Yea and I agree, the sale still is hard to stomach, but it is still $30 off the retail price, so that still technically is a good sale for our market. It does mean that for me personally, I am making less purchases and waiting for games to go on sale, but it seems that it takes a long time for $80 games to dip below $50, unless its a bomba.

Rbk_3

Canada's export industries have an incentive to keep the Canadian dollar low; it means export goods are cheaper and more attractive to foreign markets. So long as the Canadian market relies primarily on exports like crude oil, there will always be an incentive on the part of the government to keep the dollar from rising too high. Parity may not be something we see for quite a while.

Of course, who knows what Trump will do. In the most extreme scenarios, I could see Canadian exports doing well due to US boycotts. Or we could all be dead because of nuclear war. Who knows.

Wasn't the dollar high when oil prices were high and fell when oil prices fell, though?

Wasn't the dollar high when oil prices were high and fell when oil prices fell, though?

I'm no economist (macro OR micro), but I think in that specific case, demand was high enough (or supply was constrained enough) that the high price of crude meant Canadian oil was lucrative despite the high cost of extraction and the currency. Once the Saudis flooded the market and crude prices dropped, extraction costs were enough of a barrier to kill interest in Canadian oil despite the more favourable exchange rate. In other words, oil prices were the driver, as opposed to currency rates. But the exchange rate affects all exports, not just oil, so other industries with different dynamics would be affected in different ways.

All that said, maybe using crude oil as my example was a bad idea.

Vamphuntr

If Trump snips NAFTA then we'll be lucky to pay $149.99 CAD for a video game.
Like, 80%+ of our export is to the US. If that collapses, gg.

No one will buy games at that price. They will simply adjust prices and lock our region in our own separate zone to prevent people from outside the country buying here to save money.(see Russia and Brazil :S)

kevin1025

Banned
Is there a good deal for the PS4 Pro?

A lot of pretty good deals have been popping up in the US, hopefully one or two pop up this week for the Pro on our side. As for right now, I don't believe so, now that the trade-in deal has passed over.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Any good internet deal?

I have been using Rogers ignite 100 for a year. Got it on a promo, 60/month.

Its about to end next month :(

Haines

Banned
I literally just called and threatened to cancel and got 60 a month for a year contract.

They will do anything to keep you really.

antibolo

Banned
So with Shomi dying do we know what's happening with their Amazon license?

Amazon are currently hyping up The Grand Tour being available "internationally" next month, which seems to imply that they are finally going to make Prime Video available in more than the six or so countries it is currently available in. And the timing with Shomi closing down in December it seems like this would be the ideal time to do so.

Hopefully this won't be like the Star Trek Discovery deal that Netflix struck, where "internationally" means "internationally except Canada".

Vamphuntr

Amazon are currently hyping up The Grand Tour being available "internationally" next month, which seems to imply that they are finally going to make Prime Video available in more than the six or so countries it is currently available in. And the timing with Shomi closing down in December it seems like this would be the ideal time to do so.

Hopefully this won't be like the Star Trek Discovery deal that Netflix struck, where "internationally" means "internationally except Canada".

Nothing they could do for Star Trek Discovery. Bell Media bought the rights here so it will be shown on Space (En) and Z (Fr) with CTV having the season premiere.

kevin1025

Banned

I'm hoping that all of the Amazon shows end up on CraveTV, since they have a couple of things already.

But I'm curious what happens with some of the licenses. Quite a few of them said they would expire in late 2017, deep into the summer, last I checked. I wonder if the closure of Shomi frees them up or might trap them in On Demand on Rogers cable boxes or something like that.

The logical thing to do is have CraveTV eat up all of the Amazon stuff and Netflix get the stuff the US already has.

But we live in Canada. So who knows, haha.

when does PSN usually have their black friday sales? starting this tuesday or a flash sale on Thurs-Friday?

If I'm remembering right, it was treated like a flash sale last year.

Jeremy Clarkson seems to think Amazon Prime Streaming will be launching in Canada in time for The Grand Tour's release, so take that for what you will.

Picked up the Sony 43" X800D for $799.99 @ London Drugs tonight, as they were the only place in Calgary with stock. The $450+ savings over the B&H KS8000 was enough to sway me in this direction. So far I can say this is a fantastic set and for anyone on the fence who doesn't mind the 43" (I sit about 3 feet away), to not hesitate! We tend to split hairs about minor details and improvements, and it's easy to forget how much of a luxury these things are, and how amazing they have gotten. Thanks to everyone who helped and answered my questions!

Picked up the Sony 43" X800D for $799.99 @ London Drugs tonight, as they were the only place in Calgary with stock. The $450+ savings over the B&H KS8000 was enough to sway me in this direction. So far I can say this is a fantastic set and for anyone on the fence who doesn't mind the 43" (I sit about 3 feet away), to not hesitate! We tend to split hairs about minor details and improvements, and it's easy to forget how much of a luxury these things are, and how amazing they have gotten. Thanks to everyone who helped and answered my questions!

I've had a tab open on London Drugs' website all day, ready to click "order" and haven't pulled the trigger yet. You're convincing me here. 43" is perfect for my apartment and will be a nice upgrade over my 32"1080 tv.

Have you tried any HDR content? The biggest question I still have about the set is how good the HDR is on the thing, since the brightness on the set is about half of that of the more premium HDR sets.

Haines

Banned
Do you guys use any streaming or membership services outside of netflix and spotify?

I would love amazon prime to come here to make that membership worth a lil more.

kevin1025

Banned
CraveTV can go fuck itself. They don't even have a PS4 client.

This is still absurd. They said they would have their Xbox One app in January 2016, and it took them months and months to finally deliver. But how there isn't a PS4 app yet is beyond me. Then again, how there still isn't a TMN GO/HBO Go app three years in from Bell is insane, too.

Canada gets the short end of the stick sometimes :(

Do you guys use any streaming or membership services outside of netflix and spotify?

I would love amazon prime to come here to make that membership worth a lil more.

There's definitely an argument to be made for CraveTV, if you have PC or Xbox One. It has all of the legacy HBO shows, so for me personally it is worth the subscription for that if you have the time. It has the CW superhero shows, too, so that's always nice. In terms of exclusives and other shows, it can be a bit dodgy, though. I would advise to wait and see how the Shomi service ends, and see if things are tossed over to CraveTV starting in December.

But for me, I think it's worth the subscription, which you can always binge and then cancel after!

antibolo

Banned

I also have a Crunchyroll subscription.

This is still absurd. They said they would have their Xbox One app in January 2016, and it took them months and months to finally deliver. But how there isn't a PS4 app yet is beyond me. Then again, how there still isn't a TMN GO/HBO Go app three years in from Bell is insane, too.

Canada gets the short end of the stick sometimes :(

I feel like those companies fail to understand the importance of having clients on as many platforms as possible. It's clearly a low priority to them, yet to me is always the biggest reason for not using a given service. I can watch Netflix and Crunchyroll natively on virtually any Internet-connected electronic device I own, that's a big deal.

I've had a tab open on London Drugs' website all day, ready to click "order" and haven't pulled the trigger yet. You're convincing me here. 43" is perfect for my apartment and will be a nice upgrade over my 32"1080 tv.

Have you tried any HDR content? The biggest question I still have about the set is how good the HDR is on the thing, since the brightness on the set is about half of that of the more premium HDR sets.

Yeah, HDR so far has been pretty amazing. The biggest thing here is that, we easily forget that information for this sort of thing "trickles down", with those at the top being A/V enthusiasts on forums, who have a lot of experience with 4K, HDR, etc. I'm sure there is an improvement with something like an KS8000 or LG OLED. But, this is pretty fantastic and awesome. Can't imagine what the future is going to look like, but this will tide me over until all the HDR wars have settled, and I can get an OLED at this size for around what I paid for this. Honestly, I would be surprised if you weren't really happy with this set, if the size is right for you.

kevin1025

Banned
I also have a Crunchyroll subscription.

I feel like those companies fail to understand the importance of having clients on as many platforms as possible. It's clearly a low priority to them, yet to me is always the biggest reason for not using a given service. I can watch Netflix and Crunchyroll on virtually any electronic device I own, that's a big deal.

I definitely agree with you. As someone who is way into television shows, the place of service and the app it's connected to becomes super important. That some of these services don't have apps on certain platforms is super strange and seems like a wasted/lost opportunity. I have my PC hooked up to my TV, so for me personally it becomes easy to find everything, but I don't understand how some of these services still don't have apps for everything they can get onto.

Canada can be a super lucrative place to dive into, if given the chance. The metrics look to show we love television. While the Shomi numbers don't seem to add up (I blame the odd choices they made for their film library versus subscriber numbers), I hope this Amazon Video thing does happen here, that would be such a great thing to have.

Yeah, HDR so far has been pretty amazing. The biggest thing here is that, we easily forget that information for this sort of thing "trickles down", with those at the top being A/V enthusiasts on forums, who have a lot of experience with 4K, HDR, etc. I'm sure there is an improvement with something like an KS8000 or LG OLED. But, this is pretty fantastic and awesome. Can't imagine what the future is going to look like, but this will tide me over until all the HDR wars have settled, and I can get an OLED at this size for around what I paid for this. Honestly, I would be surprised if you weren't really happy with this set, if the size is right for you.

Great to hear. You're right about the enthusiast thing, I was was seeing comments on some sites that the HDR was "barely noticeable" on that set and was questiong how true that is, since people like you and review sites like rtings say otherwise.

I think I'm going to grab it. I've been waiting for a sub $1000 4K/HDR set with low input lag for a while now, and my 1080p set is 5 years old was was only mid-ish tier back then, even. Should be a big upgrade.

im buying that same TV too, this will be perfect for my room and my first owned Sony TV heh. Needed some decent HDR to go with the 4K and great upscaling so i might as well.

Great to hear. You're right about the enthusiast thing, I was was seeing comments on some sites that the HDR was "barely noticeable" on that set and was questiong how true that is, since people like you and review sites like rtings say otherwise.

I think I'm going to grab it. I've been waiting for a sub $1000 4K/HDR set with low input lag for a while now, and my 1080p set is 5 years old was was only mid-ish tier back then, even. Should be a big upgrade.

If you do, let us know what you think! It's great :)

im buying that same TV too, this will be perfect for my room and my first owned Sony TV heh. Needed some decent HDR to go with the 4K and great upscaling so i might as well.

You will love it. This is my first Sony TV as well. Trust me, as an HDR noob, even "decent" HDR is pretty fantastic.

Kieli

It really is the best tv under 48" for 4K and HDR. You will all enjoy the television. Android 6.0 works great as well.

Should we wait for full backlight rather than edge-lit panels, and maximum brightness of > 1000 nits?

The TV has 10-bit panel, which is good, but if it fails to reach the other standards of HDR, then can we really call it HDR?

NYR

My reaction when I start going through the Best Buy Canada Black Friday Flyer:
mjl.gif

My reaction when I get to the page where the 65" LG E6 OLED I bought 4 months is now $2,000 cheaper then what I paid for it:
sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.u2.jpg

kevin1025

Banned
My reaction when I start going through the Best Buy Canada Black Friday Flyer:
mjl.gif

My reaction when I get to the page where the 65" LG E6 OLED I bought 4 months is now $2,000 cheaper then what I paid for it:
sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.u2.jpg

Black Friday taketh, Black Friday contextualizes!

Madness

Should we wait for full backlight rather than edge-lit panels, and maximum brightness of > 1000 nits?

The TV has 10-bit panel, which is good, but if it fails to reach the other standards of HDR, then can we really call it HDR?

That is really upto you. As HDR matures and becomes more widespread, you will see more televisions meet the full 1100+ nits at 2% peak and sustained window.

As for your other question, can we call it HDR, yes because it is HDR. You will easily see the difference between 4K SDR and 4K HDR content. Whether you appreciate it is another story. If your goal is 4K and HDR on a budget, then it is a good set. If your goal is a nice new television right now or for the coming months it is a good set. If your goal is 4K gaming next year or the year after, you might as well wait.

As for the question of full backlight, it is cost prohibitive which is why you rarely see it except on flagships above 65"-70". Even the KS8000 is edge lit, You would probably see mass OLED and budget OLED panels before FALD on all LED televisions. Even the Sony X930D which was flagship before the Z9D, you had an edge lit with local dimming.

Lexxism

Dammit. I'm tempted on the LG B6 55". Maybe I'll try the sweepstakes on Friday 12 AM. If did not get any, I guess I'll just switch to BH Photo 65" TV.

Is this a good TV? It's $1399.99 with a PS4 Pro.
Dude.... You forgot to mention what TV.
I'll definitely subscribe with Amazon Prime if they bring their streaming.

Excellent value for the money, coupled with a their 4 year warranty ( from Costco itself )

The 2016 P series is terrific. Unless you consider a ~45ms input lag in HDR unplayable. There is fast non-HDR HDMI port with an input lag of 19ms as well.

I've been gaming on it for a few days now (in HDR) and have had no issues whatsoever. The black levels are terrific due to it being a full array backlit system, as opposed to the more common edge-lit stuff, can't even tell it's on sometimes, when there's a black screen. Has Dolby Vision (which requires hardware, so can't be patched in for other TVs that don't have it already) as well so basically when you have the option, you'll get even better HDR than usual in movies & tv shows.

If you're not super sensitive to input lag, it's a definitely one of the best options available at this time. It won out over the KS8000 for me.

Thanks. I will give the Vizio a close look then.

schlew

Any of you guys successfully paired a ps gold headset with an Xbox one? I can't get the mic working

Yep. Three things to check.

1. Sometimes I have to plug in, take out, and replug it in for the mix to work.

2. Is the aux cord the one that came with the gold headset? You need an aux cord that has three black rings at the end (many over the counter aux cords have just two).

3. Is the Gold headset set to be off? The little switch on the left side ear needs to be set to off, or whatever they call the non wireless mode.

Hope that helps.

Rbk_3

Thanks. I will give the Vizio a close look then.

I had the Vizio P65 now the KS8000. I initially had my heart set on the P65 and read that AVS thread for 4 months everyday waiting for it to come to Canada but the 2 sets I had had terrible terrible grey uniformity and dirty screen effect. It was just awful. It made certain colors look washed out on the side. The KS8000 is a much better TV imo. Mine is flawless.

b1fab5b8b2b63b090cf9b285ef9f3589.jpg

bd2b7f7475a543974abf726561360492.jpg

walmart bf flyer is out

lots of tv sales,

Uncharted 4 PlayStation 4 500GB Bundle - $329.96 (regularly $379.96)
Xbox One 500GB Console - $249.96 (regularly $319.96) (OG Fat version)
Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller - $49.96 (regularly $60.96)
Microsoft Wireless Controller - $49.96 (regularly $64.96)
Nintendo 3DS Super Mario White Edition - $139.96

Mafia 3, TitanFall 2, WWE 17, Madden 17, Fifa 17 = $50

COD : Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition box set= $79.99

Gears of War 4, Overwatch, Skyrim RE, Deus Ex = $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom