• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHand

I bought a box set of graphic novels for my Son on Saturday for $79 and the next day the price dropped for $55. I spoke to Amazon and they won't refund the difference or cancel the item because they are "preparing for shipment". I swear Amazon used to do this.

I'm so jealous of you city-dwellers and your great Internet. 250 sounds like something futuristic to me, given that my line struggles to give me fully operational 6mb/s.

I've had Internet issues off and on for two months, and it's gone down two to three times in the last 20 hours. I called the tech support line in India, and they haven't gotten back to me.

Ventara

I bought a box set of graphic novels for my Son on Saturday for $79 and the next day the price dropped for $55. I spoke to Amazon and they won't refund the difference or cancel the item because they are "preparing for shipment". I swear Amazon used to do this.

Yeah, they're supposed to do it. It's one week from when it's shipped. Try again once it actually shipped. If they still give you hassle, reorder it and refuse delivery for the first one.

Moltenix

Is the Canadian Netflix worth getting? How's the content compared to US?

It's pretty decent. I honestly haven't bothered with accessing US Netflix in a long time. Between Netflix and gaming, there's enough content on CAD side to keep me busy to make it worth it imo.

trixx

Really? Xbox One S 1TB was $60 off, with a game (Gears of War 4), $100 gift card, and up to $139 worth of reward points. This is not what I call a bad console sale.

Oh the shoppers deal. Would have got it but Gears dl code which I presume would be tough to sell. I don't know I wanted to get an xbox one for younger brother for christmas and the battle field LE with CoD IW looked like most appealing since he likes both games and his fav colour is green.

That is a great deal, but I was expecting something more from walmart and best buy. Though I could've gave gift card to my parents

BadHand

Yeah, they're supposed to do it. It's one week from when it's shipped. Try again once it actually shipped. If they still give you hassle, reorder it and refuse delivery for the first one.

I'm still mad at them for delaying my Watch Dogs 2 shipment until next week without a reason given. I got my shipping refunded, but still. They charged me on the 15th Nov for gods sake.

They really are going full force in trying to make me sign up for Prime, and I have absolutely no interest in that.

baconcow

Oh the shoppers deal. Would have got it but Gears dl code which I presume would be tough to sell. I don't know I wanted to get an xbox one for younger brother for christmas and the battle field LE with CoD IW looked like most appealing since he likes both games and his fav colour is green.

That is a great deal, but I was expecting something more from walmart and best buy. Though I could've gave gift card to my parents

Check out the Microsoft Store deal starting on the 24th. $70 off the 1TB, $50 MS credit, a console bundle of your choice (there are several), and a game of your choice (from a list of slightly older titles). I saw a bunch of available bundles, including: Battlefield 1, Gears of War 4 (Standard and Ultimate), FIFA 17, Halo 5/MCC, Madden 17, Minecraft, Quantum Break, Rainbow SIx Siege, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lego Movie, The Division, and even a "Name your game" bundle.

So what's the latest update on the Nes Classics in Canada?

Yep, in need of one and haven't found one. Anyone?

As a Nintendo representative who gets asked this on a daily basis, respectfully everyone's going to have let it go for the time being and accept Nintendo's shipments are ludicrous and have no intention of communicating their plans. There WILL be more by the end of this year, and definitely sometime in January, but you're just going to have to be patient.

trixx

Check out the Microsoft Store deal starting on the 24th. $70 off the 1TB, $50 MS credit, a console bundle of your choice (there are several), and a game of your choice (from a list of slightly older titles).

o sweet, thanks for the heads up

Blue xbox 1s at best buy isn't bad considering entry price and cause it's limited(?) but there are much better bundles that offer more value by spending more

They always do. You're better off waiting till Boxing Day.

Likely true but since the xbone black friday sales are on in marketplace now it's probably best to purchase now, unless there's an alternate way of buying games through marketplace?

baconcow

Anyone with an NES Classic that needs an extension cable or two, I ordered these the other day. Not sure how good they are, but they do not look much different than the Insignia (Best Buy) and Nyko ones. For $9.99 and free shipping, it seemed like a deal, if they work. Also, unlike the Nyko and Insignia ones, you will not have to unscrew and remove the plastic portion in order to allow two of them to fit into the NES Classic simultaneously as it appears the plastic portion is not attached. Despite saying they may arrive after Christmas, mine already shipped.

soultron

Banned
Spent the past hour reading up on WIND and some board change ups.

This news from March 2015 makes me think that eventually they will just be straight-up SHAW branded. I feel like they're slowly going to ramp their prices and end up just as terrible as the other big telcos. http://business.financialpost.com/f...tajic-in-anthony-lacavera-out?__lsa=3ad6-2ee1

I'm wondering what the next choice is? I can't stand how terrible WIND's coverage and service has been and I don't think adding LTE will fix this core problem. I also will never go back to the big 3.

How's Public Mobile these days? (Interesting considering WIND's current CEO is from Public.)

Sora_N

No they never do. I got a router and it dropped 10. They won't budge

What's the deal with Netflix removing content without letting you know ahead of time? It would be really nice if they did that. Kinda sucks when you're midway through watching a show...

Lexxism

How's Public Mobile these days? (Interesting considering WIND's current CEO is from Public.)
Best bang for the buck. Great network services. I never had any drop call and throttling of data. Big downside are: self service, no physical store, and no phone customer service. It's all on their community. Of course if you care for any of those.

Grimsen

We're not missing out on much nowadays. My last real annoyance was the lack of Star Trek, but they fixed that now (except for the upcoming series, fuck you Bell).

At least all BDUs are getting it, since it'll be on Space.

Making it a Crave exclusive would have been a real kick in the teeth.

soultron

Banned
Best bang for the buck. Great network services. I never had any drop call and throttling of data. Big downside are: self service, no physical store, and no phone customer service. It's all on their community. Of course if you care for any of those.

I live and work in Toronto, hopefully it's good here. Thanks for the info. I will check it out more.

EDIT: Telus-owned, I forgot. :S Not sure how I feel about this, but I will continue to research it.

antibolo

Banned
At least all BDUs are getting it, since it'll be on Space.

Making it a Crave exclusive would have been a real kick in the teeth.

I don't have TV service and I don't want it. Not having any way of streaming it is the "real kick in the teeth". They've already confirmed that Crave won't even get the show until the season ends.

Canada will literally be the only country in the world where we won't have any streaming as it airs.

So again, fuck you Bell. Fuck you so much.

No_Style

damn console sales for black friday sucks

They always do. You're better off waiting till Boxing Day.

For reference:

Black Friday 2015 console deals vs Boxing Day 2015 console deals.

It's awfully close. A lot of it depends on what games you like. If someone values BLOPS3 and Batman: AK more, then Black Friday Xbox One deal would have been better.

Really? Xbox One S 1TB was $60 off, with a game (Gears of War 4), $100 gift card, and up to $139 worth of reward points. This is not what I call a bad console sale.

This was a really good deal just because the gift card flexibility.

Lexxism

I live and work in Toronto, hopefully it's good here. Thanks for the info. I will check it out more.
It's not just good but great. I'm in Toronto too. The network is pretty much Telus. If you are on the fence, it's a good one. It's too bad though that the 4gb/$38 is over.

Grimsen

I don't have TV service and I don't want it. Not having any way of streaming it is the "real kick in the teeth". They've already confirmed that Crave won't even get the show until the season ends.

Canada will literally be the only country in the world where we won't have any streaming as it airs.

So again, fuck you Bell. Fuck you so much.

I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather have it air on cable TV than having to subscribe to Crave. To each their own.

Want me to tape it for you?

Aske

Streaming services?

Netflix and Shudder. Former for a good mix of everything, latter because it's Netflix for horror and I've discovered a ton of good stuff.

I leech a Crave sub off a friend because she really wanted me to check out a specific show on there. Having used it for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't pay for it. Poorly organised, hard to browse, and while there are a few great shows, there's far more trash than I've ever seen on Netflix. I'd say lack of ads is all it really gets right.

whitehawk

Banned
They can call themselves whatever they want, if they get rid of my 30 dollar 5gig plan I'm bailing out.

They also said they're turning on new high speeds in Vancouver and Toronto on the 27th, which marks the 4th time since being a paying subscriber that I've been promised higher speeds.

I'll believe it when I see it. I still lose signal at major intersections in Vancouver and at random points for extended periods of time.
BAD NEWS

To use Wind's new LTE coverage, there are two requirements

1. You need a band 66 phone, only two of them exist right now. (LG V20 & ZTE Grand X 4)
2. If you want to stick with your current plan, you'll be stuck with 3G. 4G LTE is exclusive to a new plan priced at $45 a month for 3gigs ($40 @ 6gigs for 12 months first)

Only reason I stuck with Wind was hoping my $35 5GB plan would be grandfathered into LTE. Now I have no reason to stay with this shitty coverage. I'm tired of having my GPS signal lost.

Only thing that kind of makes me want to stay is their still awesome US roaming plan. Public Mobile it would cost $60 as opposed to $15 a month for a similar plan.

Still, I'll probably switch as soon as a good deal pops up somewhere else.

leeman

Anyone with an NES Classic that needs an extension cable or two, I ordered these the other day. Not sure how good they are, but they do not look much different than the Insignia (Best Buy) and Nyko ones. For $9.99 and free shipping, it seemed like a deal, if they work. Also, unlike the Nyko and Insignia ones, you will not have to unscrew and remove the plastic portion in order to allow two of them to fit into the NES Classic simultaneously as it appears the plastic portion is not attached. Despite saying they may arrive after Christmas, mine already shipped.

I ordered the same ones, will update when I get them, fingers crossed. I watched a Youtube vid of them using them and they "seemed" to work, so hopefully :)

Yup and one big advantage to community CS is that everything is in writing. Superior to dealing with phone support IMO.

soultron

Banned
BAD NEWS

1. You need a band 66 phone, only two of them exist right now. (LG V20 & ZTE Grand X 4)
2. If you want to stick with your current plan, you'll be stuck with 3G. 4G LTE is exclusive to a new plan priced at $45 a month for 3gigs ($40 @ 6gigs for 12 months first)

Only reason I stuck with Wind was hoping my $35 5GB plan would be grandfathered into LTE. Now I have no reason to stay with this shitty coverage. I'm tired of having my GPS signal lost.

Only thing that kind of makes me want to stay is their still awesome US roaming plan. Public Mobile it would cost $60 as opposed to $15 a month for a similar plan.

Hah! That's incredible. My phone I bought in 2015 isn't compatible. This basically means WIND is going to be the same for me, which has been awful the past 4 years. I'm going to try and split as soon as possible.

Dazzler

Hah! That's incredible. My phone I bought in 2015 isn't compatible. This basically means WIND is going to be the same for me, which has been awful the past 4 years. I'm going to try and split as soon as possible.

I joined wind specifically because they were getting LTE. I'm so bummed out by this and am thinking of leaving

grego9198

EDIT: Telus-owned, I forgot. :S Not sure how I feel about this, but I will continue to research it.

I can vouch for public mobile too, I've been with them for over a year and I live at King/Bathurst. Great reception.

I just had my wife switch over to them from Wind too and her reception is so much better now, I can finally call her at work.

If you can accept that they're a Telus owned company, I think they offer one of the best deals for the money.

aasoncott

I have an old Sony KDL-32L4000 (32", 720p) and was thinking maybe it was time to upgrade. But I'd like to be as much of a cheapskate as possible, so I'm looking at the doorcrashers:

Sharp 40" - Best Buy, $250

or

Westinghouse 40" - Walmart, $198

Would this be the worst decision I've ever made, or would the jump from 32"->40" and 720p->1080p be so significant that even doorcrasher specials would be a good upgrade?

... or do I wait for Boxing Day and hope the <$300 options are better then?

Cactus

Banned
BAD NEWS

I've been a bit of a WIND apologist for a while, but I'll likely switch because of this.

antibolo

Banned
I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather have it air on cable TV than having to subscribe to Crave. To each their own.

Want me to tape it for you?

Traditional TV is disgusting. There's commercials all the fucking time. Every time I visit my parents I'm reminded of how garbage it is.

No way am I ever giving money to that bullshit again. There's no reason for that shit to continue existing in 2016.

And before anyone asks, no, I can't get any reasonable OTA signal where I live. And it's not like Space is on OTA anyway.

so titanfall 2 for $50 for black friday at walmart is probably the best price? i know its been lower in the USA but unfortunately $50 seems to be a 'deal' for canada...

antibolo

Banned
While we're on the topic of cellphone service, there's something I've always wondered: if I enable LTE for Voice on my phone, will it eat into my data usage?

I'm on Fido if that's relevant.

iiicon

so titanfall 2 for $50 for black friday at walmart is probably the best price? i know its been lower in the USA but unfortunately $50 seems to be a 'deal' for canada...

It's slightly cheaper on XBL and you save on tax. Hopefully it'll be the same price on PSN.

Small victory, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom