• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: White house blocking them and other news outlets from attending press briefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Man this is some fucked up shit. They're not even trying to hide what they're doing given the list of the press that got blocked

Got

Banned
*crickets*

just need to rename the thread to some sort of highway protest or maybe invoke Milo or Pewdiepie. maybe something to do with cops shooting black kids, or maybe something to do with welfare benefits going to candy? hmmm...

I love how the_d essentially closed the thread down because they consider it a "touchy" subject. There is no way to spin this so it doesn't look fascist.

Nipo

Free press is part of free speech yeah?

Right, the press is still free to print what it wants it is just being denied access to the briefing. I wonder if the white houses' argument will rest on United States Postal Service v. Council of Greenburgh Civic Ass’ns and say the press was being denied access to public land, which the SCOTUS ruled legal, but they are still free to print what they want.

The whole thing is disgusting but will make an interesting case.

Buckle

Was wondering how long it was going to take before he tried going after news media.

He'll want to keep cutting off information. Internet next?

Crema

New Russia link stories come out and now they can say "fake news, see we banned them for a reason"

Maybe I'm giving people too much credit but I suspect people will see right through that.

Note I also thought Trump was a joke candidate who would suffer the biggest ever election defeat so who knows.

blackjaw

Maybe I'm giving people too much credit but I suspect people will see right through that.

Note I also thought Trump was a joke candidate who would suffer the biggest ever election defeat so who knows.

Yeah, I originally thought that as well but looking at some conservative sites and the applause this move has made with them....it's disturbing....I would like to think there are more rational people in this country but look where we are today.

Ignoring the obvious ethical considerations, I can't even see the benefit to the Trump administration.

Keep his 30 something percent of his base angry. Delegitimize the press even further in their eyes. Use said angry base to make sure Republicans keep dragging their feet on investigations.

I mean:

Hahahaha.

Fake news gets treated as such.

As much as we don't like to think, this "anything not positive on Trump is fake news" bullshit is something a lot of people actually agree with.

You can't give them the benefit of the doubt. Be prepared to acknowledge that there's large chunks of Americans who will readily accept literally anything Easy D says without question.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
lcTF94B.jpg

mid83

I find this move pretty disgusting and hate how so many Republicans are cheering this. This is coming from a person who doesn't consider himself a liberal/progressive.

Nobody should be happy with an administration actively blocking access to news organizations, no matter their slant. A free press is a free press.

rjinaz

Right, the press is still free to print what it wants it is just being denied access to the briefing. I wonder if the white houses' argument will rest on United States Postal Service v. Council of Greenburgh Civic Ass'ns and say the press was being denied access to public land, which the SCOTUS ruled legal, but they are still free to print what they want.

The whole thing is disgusting but will make an interesting case.

And the people that argue for the Nazis to be able to speak do so knowing full well that the government isn't actually stopping them. The comparison is valid. Where are those free speech advocates for the nazis? This is way worse for a variety of reasons especially since it's the president doing it.

BasicMath

Has this been posted yet?

https://youtu.be/4TKT68IQ_0w

Complete recording of today's briefing.
20 minutes in and this shit hurts

-Spicer: "We're doing this because of time and because we wanted to show CNN who's boss"
-Spicer: "lol CNN. Now you get to see how we push back. Enjoy!"
-Reporter: "Russia..."
-Spicer: "Look, guys, With all due respect, this is insulting. If you're going to make accusations like that we need names. How do we fire these leakers otherwise?"
-Reporter: "Nevermind the leakers, there's a lot of...!"
-Spicer: "I don't want to hear it. Give me names. NOW"
-Reporter: "well ok then. How is the Priebus event not worse than Bill Clinton and Lynch meet up you guys were crying about?"
-Spicer: "There's a fundamental difference: The FBI came to us. Next please."
-Spicer: "Besides, did you even ask the Obama Admin anything close to what you're asking me now?"
-Reporter: "I wasn't part of that-"
-Spicer: "No. IT'S NOT FAIR"

Not even kidding. That was 20 fucking minutes of back and forth but with a lot more bitching and bullshit fluff by Spicer. They have no idea how to deal with this shitfest and are only making it worse with every move they make. It's unbelievable.

Loxley

20 minutes in and this shit hurts

-Spicer: "We're doing this because of time and because we wanted to show CNN who's boss"
-Spicer: "lol CNN. Now you get to see how we push back. Enjoy!"
-Reporter: "Russia..."
-Spicer: "Look, guys, With all due respect, this is insulting. If you're going to make accusations like that we need names. How do we fire these leakers otherwise?"
-Reporter: "Nevermind the leakers, there's a lot of...!"
-Spicer: "I don't want to hear it. Give me names. NOW"
-Reporter: "well ok then. How is the Priebus event not worse than Bill Clinton and Lynch meet up you guys were crying about?"
-Spicer: "There's a fundamental difference: The FBI came to us. Next please."
-Spicer: "Besides, did you even ask the Obama Admin anything close to what you're asking me now?"
-Reporter: "I wasn't part of that-"
-Spicer: "No. IT'S NOT FAIR"

Not even kidding. That was 20 fucking minutes of back and forth but with a lot more bitching and bullshit fluff by Spicer. They have no idea how to deal with this shitfest and are only making it worse with every move they make. It's unbelievable.

I don't exactly know what their endgame here is (not they do either). With the exception of Breitbart and Fox, it's not like these news organizations are going to suddenly begin sucking up to the Trump administration - especially if they start banning respected news outlets from attending their press briefings.

Do they really think that by simply preventing the likes of CNN and NYT from being there that they're suddenly safe from questions about all the awful shit they're doing?

Kinyou

It may be that they just care about free speech in order to be mean to people below them in status

Or they agree with the speech that comes from Milo and co. and "defending free speech" is just cover.
Is it really that weird that there isn't a big free speech discussion in this thread? I mean, skimming the thread I've barely seen anyone who agrees with the ban, so there isn't much to argue about beyond that it's fucked up.

wandering

Banned
I don't exactly know what their endgame here is (not they do either). With the exception of Breitbart and Fox, it's not like these news organizations are going to suddenly begin sucking up to the Trump administration - especially if they start banning respected news outlets from attending their press briefings.

Do they really think that by simply preventing the likes of CNN and NYT from being there that they're suddenly safe from questions about all the awful shit they're doing?

Depends on if you subscribe to the 4D chess model whereby it's an attempt to divert attention away from the ongoing Russia investigation

Or they're just really dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom