• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Slowing down and digging in to ANXM a bit more now, and overall I find myself not liking how Bendis has been handling Wolverine in this series. First, there was the "mind whammy for laughs" thing a few issues back; and now comes this issue, with its... confrontation. I mean, the whole
seeing Young Scott and going "all those years I was this close and never snikt'd ya" part I'm actually okay with; to me, that's heart over brain, it's emotion ruling you, and that's definitely a Logan character trait. But then Bendis follows it up with "show of hands, who wants me to kill this little sh*t?", and that doesn't sit right. We're meant to feel for Young Scott being put in that situation, sure, but the vote to kill a kid thing was just overkill and it doesn't seem like something the Logan we're seeing in other X-books would do, especially after UXF and WatXM.
I'm hoping once things settle down a bit his characterization will improve... was his Wolverine like this in his Avengers books too?

Loved the
small little moment between Young Jean and Logan there, though; it wasn't much but my old shipper's heart will take it. ;p

That is EXACTLY how Bendis handled Wolverine in Avengers books as well. For him, Wolverine is the dude who Snikts. And that is it. Oh,and drinks beer and kills dudes.

It is a disgrace to UXF/WaTXM Wolverine, basically.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
That is EXACTLY how Bendis handled Wolverine in Avengers books as well. For him, Wolverine is the dude who Snikts. And that is it. Oh,and drinks beer and kills dudes.

It is a disgrace to UXF/WaTXM Wolverine, basically.

It would of been better if
it was made clear that it was just a hollow scare tactic to influence their decision.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ugh, I do not like nu Beast at all. Terrible. Bendis is being allowed to fuck with the X-Universe way too much. It makes literally no sense for Scott to start up an Xavier School when he killed him. Thats abysmal writing.

Hickman's not making a compelling argument for his second book yet, other than perhaps him getting to continue his F4 stuff without being on that book anymore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Damn it, Beast still looks fucking terrible. I hate comics.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Ugh, I do not like nu Beast at all. Terrible. Bendis is being allowed to fuck with the X-Universe way too much. It makes literally no sense for Scott to start up an Xavier School when he killed him. Thats abysmal writing.

Hickman's not making a compelling argument for his second book yet, other that perhaps him getting to continue his F4 stuff without being on that book anymore.

Idk I think the school's name is just Scott's ego refusing to admit he is a pariah and a villain.

Owzers

Comixology says everything is back to normal but my copy of Secret Avengers #31 i redeemed is still not showing up. I emailed marvel last night, but comixology says to email them if there are any unresolved problems, should i go ahead and do so?

tim1138

Comixology says everything is back to normal but my copy of Secret Avengers #31 i redeemed is still not showing up. I emailed marvel last night, but comixology says to email them if there are any unresolved problems, should i go ahead and do so?

I would, their support is great and prompt.

I wish Hawkguy and DD were $3.99 just so I could get the code. :p

That and these books are so good I feel like they could justify the extra dollar.

Seriously. I want all my books to be coded at this point. So damn convenient. That's why I've been gorging on the 99c sales. I figure by 2014 I should have all the best runs of the last five or six years swapped to digital.

Owzers

My confidence in digital copies is eroding and i am now wondering when will be the day i look at my "purchases" column and nothing is there.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
As a new Comixology user: What's the sales situation over there in general? Are there good sales? Older stuff "boxes"? Omnibuses? Is it Steam for comics? :)

Edit: There's no way of storing your collection somehow on your device? You really need to be online to access your books? That's kind of a bummer.

My confidence in digital copies is eroding and i am now wondering when will be the day i look at my "purchases" column and nothing is there.

Same here. You almost have to look at them as being disposable media as it stands. I could only imagine the fallout than would happen if Comixology were to ever fold.

Why would you think that would happen? Comixology goes out of business?

Or gets sold. Or changes their terms in some weird way.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
As a new Comixology user: What's the sales situation over there in general? Are there good sales? Older stuff "boxes"? Omnibuses? Is it Steam for comics? :)

Edit: There's no way of storing your collection somehow on your device? You really need to be online to access your books? That's kind of a bummer.

I've been offline and read my comics I downloaded onto my iPad.

Same here. You almost have to look at them as being disposable media as it stands. I could only imagine the fallout than would happen if Comixology were to ever fold.

Or gets sold. Or changes their terms in some weird way.

Precedent? Just curious why anyone would think there's even the remotest chance of this ever happening.

Owzers

Precedent? Just curious why anyone would think there's even the remotest chance of this ever happening.

Just minor issues like yesterday when i redeem a comic, it says it redeemed, then magically it just disappears never to be added to my purchase list, that shakes my confidence. Not being able to download something is fine, but not having any record that it even exists is not.

Tangent: I hope comixology gets the file sizes of hd comics down a bit, my last issues of Secret Avengers were 60MB each :O

A precedent for a company folding? They fold for all sorts of reasons everyday. I don't see it as necessarily likely, but it's a real possibility.

It would be nice if they allowed offline backups.

Idesofmarch

Neo Member
I am trying to figure out the name of this comic I read when I was younger and google is failing me.

It was a western comic, by a smaller publisher. It was about a teenage boy who became a demon, or maybe a vampire, and then there were angel warriors involved, and I think the boy fought other demons from hell or something. He also had a friend who was a chick with short hair who threw bombs or something. She was pretty scantily clad I remember. The comic was pretty stylized, with lots of blood.

I know that is not much to go on, but any ideas would be awesome!

Just minor issues like yesterday when i redeem a comic, it says it redeemed, then magically it just disappears never to be added to my purchase list, that shakes my confidence. Not being able to download something is fine, but not having any record that it even exists is not.

Whenever I've had DL problems, they've been solved by them in a few hours max, no hassle at all.

I'm never letting go of physical media until it's just not offered all together.

I'm totally fine with losing it as long as I can buy it once and support good stores, but I don't need poorly printed trash gumming up my apartment.

That said, I of course stock my library with fine oversized (but not omnibused) printed collections.

Viewt

Hm? Not sure where you got this idea. You can read your comics online or offline - they're stored on your device. They do, however, have DRM and need to be read through the app itself. Comics publishers haven't come around to just selling CBRs yet. I imagine it'll happen eventually, just like it did for MP3s.

The sales situation is pretty good. There's always one or two $0.99 Sales at any given time. Marvel Mondays are weekly and spotlight a specific arc / character / series at $0.99 per issue.

The real delights are when Comixology does their 101 Sales. They'll pick a character or team and showcase 101 issues for $0.99 a piece. Their Green Arrow and Justice League sales were amazing - I spent TONS of cash.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hm? Not sure where you got this idea. You can read your comics online or offline - they're stored on your device. They do, however, have DRM and need to be read through the app itself. Comics publishers haven't come around to just selling CBRs yet. I imagine it'll happen eventually, just like it did for MP3s.

The sales situation is pretty good. There's always one or two $0.99 Sales at any given time. Marvel Mondays are weekly and spotlight a specific arc / character / series at $0.99 per issue.

The real delights are when Comixology does their 101 Sales. They'll pick a character or team and showcase 101 issues for $0.99 a piece. Their Green Arrow and Justice League sales were amazing - I spent TONS of cash.

Picked up the idea from a discussion around my first post, probably got it wrong then :) Sounds great, thanks a lot for the information!

Just caught up with Spidey. I think Peter some how won but it's going to take some time or him to take he body over. Spidey Doc is already confused if Avenging is anything to go by. The ending of 700 was great though.

the mini story with the geriatric Parker was excellent

I am trying to figure out the name of this comic I read when I was younger and google is failing me.

It was a western comic, by a smaller publisher. It was about a teenage boy who became a demon, or maybe a vampire, and then there were angel warriors involved, and I think the boy fought other demons from hell or something. He also had a friend who was a chick with short hair who threw bombs or something. She was pretty scantily clad I remember. The comic was pretty stylized, with lots of blood.

I know that is not much to go on, but any ideas would be awesome!

this sounds like Crimson from image comics

Amalthea

Banned
I bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Secret History of the Foot Clan #1 from Comixology's digital-app yesterday.

It was slated for next week and now it seems that they pulled it off the store. Guess they leaked it too early.

Neat.

Digital people; How do you feel about paying the same price for less control over what you buy? I've turned around and resold comics before but you obviously can't do that digital. How does it justify itself? Maybe I'm weird but digital content has very little value to me because making more of it is just a matter if copy and pasting a data file.

As a matter of my thoughts, I'd probably value a digital comic at $0.99 baseline.

Amalthea

Banned
I have to pay more than the retail price anyway because I live in Europe and would've to import them (as many of the series I read don't get a release here). And I never resell my comics.

Not having to pay postage and wait weeks for an issue to arrive is pretty cool.

tim1138

Digital people; How do you feel about paying the same price for less control over what you buy? I've turned around and resold comics before but you obviously can't do that digital. How does it justify itself? Maybe I'm weird but digital content has very little value to me because making more of it is just a matter if copy and pasting a data file.

As a matter of my thoughts, I'd probably value a digital comic at $0.99 baseline.

Doesn't bother me at all. I actually reread comics more now that I've gone fully digital so I'm getting more for my money than when I waa buying print.

I buy trades, but singles are all digital. I can't deal with these flimsy, ad-filled monstrosities. My apartment is already cramped as it is.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

That's worth an own discussion thread imo. I really like how comics work on mobile devices (aka Comixology's panel view and stuff), and also it's awesome to finally be up-to-date from Europe plus getting the original english versions of those comics. And of course, buying a new issue on the go while in the subway or wherever, and immediately read it - it's just great to be able to do that.

Then again, I still have problems justifying full price for it, due to the same reasons you said. Similar to paying full price for a download only game, album or whatever else you can buy, but in these areas prices are dropping fast.
Also, bathtub bonus. I surely won't read comics on a 300$ device surrounded by water!

I guess we'll have to see if people keep buying digital comic issues for 3-4 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom