• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

Digital people; How do you feel about paying the same price for less control over what you buy? I've turned around and resold comics before but you obviously can't do that digital. How does it justify itself? Maybe I'm weird but digital content has very little value to me because making more of it is just a matter if copy and pasting a data file.

As a matter of my thoughts, I'd probably value a digital comic at $0.99 baseline.

Convenience.

When I get home from work, all I have to do is grab my iPad, press a few buttons and I'm reading comics, on demand. And if I don't finish everything, all of the comics I bought are available on any computer, smartphone or tablet. So I can just pick up where I left off no matter where I am or if I happen to have my iPad with me.

Space.

Thank Space Jesus for not having to buy any more long boxes. I can't even put into words how much I loved getting rid of that clutter.

Form Factor.

I actually prefer reading comics on my iPad to floppies. The art looks amazing on the screen, the guided panels make things feel more fluid and it really makes me stop and appreciate the art more.

If you dig reading comics as a physical item, that's perfectly cool with me. But I love love love reading comics digitally.

"Reselling" comics is, at this point, theoretical. 98.9999% of them are worthless and it's not worth the opportunity cost of sifting through and finding the ones that might be valuable.

This, too. Whenever I get rid of my physical comics, I usually just give them away to friends or try to offload them at libraries. I suppose I could lug stuff down to a comic book store and try to get like $0.10 per issue, but I don't look at comics at an investment anyway.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yep, it's nice being able to load up a bunch of issues onto my Kindle Fire to read on the bus to and from work.

That's no fun. Take a big stack of floppies on the bus and let the world know you're a big manbaby! Technology taking all the public shame out of all my hobbies. Kids today got it light.

Digital people; How do you feel about paying the same price for less control over what you buy? I've turned around and resold comics before but you obviously can't do that digital. How does it justify itself? Maybe I'm weird but digital content has very little value to me because making more of it is just a matter if copy and pasting a data file.

As a matter of my thoughts, I'd probably value a digital comic at $0.99 baseline.

"Reselling" comics is, at this point, theoretical. 98.9999% of them are worthless and it's not worth the opportunity cost of sifting through and finding the ones that might be valuable.

Not to mention having to store them. I have 3 big boxes in the garage full of comics that looking back I regret purchasing. Only about 20% are worth going back and rereading.

That's no fun. Take a big stack of floppies on the bus and let the world know you're a big manbaby! Technology taking all the public shame out of all my hobbies. Kids today got it light.

walking through a snowstorm to get uncanny 500 and reading one of the copies on the way home (because who didn't buy 2?) while struggling to breath against the wind. never again.

it was a load of shit anyways u__u

Floppies are going to go up in value thanks to all you computer readers. Brahs can't digitize chromium. JPEG will not kill the variant star.

Acid08

Banned
Digital comics are great and probably the future but the price is ridiculous. For that much money I want a physical item. Do the issues on Comixology include stuff like the letters section?

Viewt

Floppies are going to go up in value thanks to all you computer readers. Brahs can't digitize chromium. JPEG will not kill the variant star.

Dude, just wait until we have "motion covers" for digital comics for an extra $0.99.

You know that shit is coming.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Digital comics are great and probably the future but the price is ridiculous. For that much money I want a physical item. Do the issues on Comixology include stuff like the letters section?

They've got everything but the ads. I won't disagree on the price though, unless the creators get a larger cut of digital sales then there needs to be a price cut.

Yeah, I mean I buy floppies as an investment in both the creators and my LCS. I very rarely (never?) buy digital comics alone at full price.

Appreciate the responses. I was just curious. I don't think I'll ever make the jump myself but it is interesting to watch the shifting nature of the industry. I don't think the two (print and digital) are mutually exclusive, really.

As to reselling; I've had no trouble selling runs of books on ebay. You may not "make money" on most of your books, but I've rarely if ever lost a substantial amount. You can often break even.

UCYMvonvaD

Viewt

Adorable. Still hate the costumes, though. Scott needs to let that beautiful hair fly!

Also, Magneto... Max... No one needs to see those old man arms...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
People laughed at me and my imgur extension. Who is laughing now? WHO?

tim1138

To be fair my Kindle cover does have a giant Green Lantern logo on the back.

Owzers

Appreciate the responses. I was just curious. I don't think I'll ever make the jump myself but it is interesting to watch the shifting nature of the industry. I don't think the two (print and digital) are mutually exclusive, really.

As to reselling; I've had no trouble selling runs of books on ebay. You may not "make money" on most of your books, but I've rarely if ever lost a substantial amount. You can often break even.

i've been having trouble selling book sets lately, no one is touching my Defenders 7-12 listing :X

So apparently All-New X-Men was the best selling book on Comixology last year and Superior Spider-Man has a huge volume of preorders. I guess people were hungry for a shakeup.

Fantomex

you guys are all seriously wrong. Yall wish we we could go back in time and that everything was written by Nicieza and drawn by Jurgens! You people make me sick!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hey, Comic-gaf. Question for you guys.

Is there any equivalent to last.fm for comics?

Like where you can build up a library of stuff you've read and then them cross-reference that with recommendations?

Grew up with this Cyclops but that costume is just lol 90s, pouches and straps everywhere for no reason and his hair would get burned all the time the way they usually drew it on him. I don't know what I'd consider his best costume though.

burned by what? cykes beams are concussive, not incendiary.

BluWacky

This week's other TPB adventure - Fatale 2:

I couldn't read this monthly. It's virtually identical to the first story arc, except more grimey and seedy - like the 70s, unsurprisingly. I'd probably get quite bored of it without the long gap between stories.

That's not to say it's bad - it's not, the art is beautiful and the writing if a little over-the-top at times, is highly entertaining and evocative. But with only Jo as a link to the previous arc (and the Nicolas Lash segments which are so short as to almost not count) I guess it's not a huge surprise that this repeats very similar story beats, right up to the climax back in the present day.

My understanding is that the next arc is a series of one-issue stories in different time periods, which makes me wonder if they know where they're going with this - it feels like a stalling tactic when the story is almost entirely flashback anyway. I'm sure it will still be entertaining, but I'm not sure what the payoff will be in the end.

Owzers

I unwrapped my Fear Agent OHC....it's nice. Between these collections and digital i'm set, though i'll still be ordering single issues from dcbs, especially those with digital codes. Might even give Justice League of THIS IS AMERICA #1 a shot with the digital code included.

Acid08

Banned
I unwrapped my Fear Agent OHC....it's nice. Between these collections and digital i'm set, though i'll still be ordering single issues from dcbs, especially those with digital codes. Might even give Justice League of THIS IS AMERICA #1 a shot with the digital code included.
Need to get one of those Fear Agent hardcovers. Amazon is shipping them in one to two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom