• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

Well even though I have the PC version on pre-order on steam I went ahead and got it digitally on my PS4 Japanese account. Can't wait to play tonight. :)

Hazaku

Yes, but I don't know if Amazon.jp also gives foreigners digital codes directly. Play-Asia works just fine.

Amazon JP only sells PSN Plus membership codes directly. The wallet prepaid cards for PSN you see are third party sellers.

EDIT: Is there no preload for the digital version on the XB1 store?

EDIT 2: Scratch that, it started automatically.

MUnited83

For you.
I was dealing with the Japanese release, but now them giving it to big streamers is just not fair. "Lets spoil the game for as many people as possible." Can't see Miyazaki being behind this, but unfortunately Namco controls all of that.

A marketing move that pisses me off and takes away some of the allure :(
Just don't watch the streams.
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4bgwkm/a_new_info_in_regard_to_matchmaking/

So basically if this is correct, you have to use an item to allow an invader solo or have already summoned someone to help you. And the boss has to be alive in that area.

Also apparently weapon reinforcement level is taken into account for match makeing on top of soul level.
If true that's pretty bad.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aw, I'd have preferred BB's approach. I'm used to the Dark Souls approach by now (completed the trophies/achievements for DaS 2x and for DaS2 3x), but I still don't find it that good. There's too much busy work.

Oh okay. Who should I trust then haha? I'd rather believe you.

I prefer when the difficulty comes from how hard the bosses are rather than how much time you're willing to spend grinding.

There are trophies for collecting all sorceries, all miracles, all pyromancies, all rings, and learning all gestures. I'm pretty sure that we'll have spells and such locked behind covenant progress and boss souls. Guess what else is locked behind boss souls? Rings. Pretty sure getting everything will require multiple runs. Dark 1 and Dark 2 basically required 2.5 runs. I expect this one to require at least one full run and part of a second, but am prepared for two full runs and part of a third, like the other games. BB was trivial because that game didn't have any sorceries, miracles, pyromancies, and barely any gear to speak of.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to create a Japanese PSN account on an EU PS4 and to buy the game digitally and download it? I can't find a guide on this.

Yes, that's exactly why I am mad. Wouldn't have cared if it was any other game, but Souls is a special experience that is being tarnished right now. It won't even be fun to discover things because people will be like "we knew this 3 weeks ago."

I am salty as fuck (not importing)

It's my main reason for importing, these games are so amazing when you go in with 0 knowledge. It's really too bad that Bamco doesn't recognize this appeal.

Roussow

Who's stream are we most excited for? As in, who should you watch for good commentary and gameplay? Lobos? ENB? Fighting Cowboy?

I can't wait to see Pat and Woolie fucking suffer through a blind playthrough, it's going to be good fun -- when it eventually all comes out, I just watched their Bloodborne playthrough, very entertaining if you aren't immediately irritated by misinformation just due to it being a (mostly) blind run, I loved the Dark Souls 2 playthrough, too. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment -- that one seems to get some hate, but I loved every second of it.

Ferr986

Just don't watch the streams.

IMO it's not a case about not watching streams (I don't care about that) but to treat your customers (the one's that are going to buy the game) as second tier and instead giving free copies to streamers just because.

I know streamers are big with some DS fanbase, but I don't really care much about it, so it rubs me the wrong way.

Nothing serious, because I still have plenty to play and I can wait... it's just a assholish move by Bamco.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's streamers fault or that they're doing something bad, they will help a ton to develop wikis before release.

_h8bit

Banned
IMO it's not a case about not watching streams (I don't care about that) but to treat your customers (the one's that are going to buy the game) as second tier and instead giving free copies to streamers just because.

I know streamers are big with some DS fanbase, but I don't really care much about it, so it rubs me the wrong way.

Nothing serious, because I still have plenty to play and I can wait... it's just a assholish move by Bamco.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's streamers fault or that they're doing something bad, they will help a ton to develop wikis before release.

Giving the game to streamers early is a marketing tactic and nothing more.

Yes as soon as I saw it my plans for a STR character went straight back to OKAY FUCK IT I"M GOING TO MAKE A DEX ONE AGAIN.

Those animations

Omg Weapon Arts are such a hype addition

I cant help but think the MH guys and From Soft feed off each other

You think these devs are aquainted somehow lol

Ferr986

I know. Just saying it does nothing other than annoy me. Not gonna get more hyped because some dude is playing and streaming early.

I understand some people will feel otherwise.

Can I call in someone to help if I'm stuck on a boss? Like Bloodborne.

Yes, you need to write with the soapstone (just use it and it will drop a sign on the floor). It's better to do either at a bonfire or near the boss entrance.

I dunno how you get it in the final version, in the Network Test you alreeady had it since start :/

Sylas

It's a marketing tactic that's kinda shitty, though. The zeitgeist is/was an important aspect of the game for day 1'ers and in a lot of ways it's being removed by the staggered release and subsequent streamers getting it early. A good portion of the fun was trying to look something up and finding absolutely nothing. At least for some of us.

Yadda yadda, you can always just not look--but being a part of the theories was always entertaining, and not there likely won't be many theories left to figure out in 20 days.

LTWheels

Tempted to buy the JPN Xbox one version, especially with how the account system works on the Xbox. Then on western release delete download, redownload from Western servers and keep playing with the same save in English...in theory.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not like you can be invaded unless you want to be anyway, with the new way invasions work.

Yes you can, B-Genius clarified that you use the Dry Finger to become able to summon a third phantom, which also opens you up to two invaders.

MUnited83

For you.

Reviewers and streamers get games early, that just how it works. And obviously, if they could release it sooner they would. As far as we know there's last minute stuff to fix, bugs to catch, and localizations to double check. (english might be ready but the other languages might now, and you don't want to post pone that for after release)

I'm also not amused by this, but Bandai are not the first publisher / producer who did this.
Capcom did this with RE Zero HD Remake too (PC version), the only difference is, Capcom gave it to streamers one week early.
Bandai is topping that with giving the game out for PC like 3 weeks earlier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit it's almost here

Tempted to buy the JPN Xbox one version, especially with how the account system works on the Xbox. Then on western release delete download, redownload from Western servers and keep playing with the same save in English...in theory.
Does this work on ps4 too or do you guys have to double dip to play in English?

Ferr986

Reviewers and streamers get games early, that just how it works. And obviously, if they could release it sooner they would. As far as we know there's last minute stuff to fix, bugs to catch, and localizations to double check. (english might be ready but the other languages might now, and you don't want to post pone that for after release)

I understand reviewers getting it earlier, but not streamers, especially not 3 weeks instead on , say, one week (like Novum_Veritas said). They don't review the game, they just generate hype.

And I'm fairly sure the game is done, they're geting the english version Bamco just delayed the game to fit it in their new fiscal year. I know it may sound like tales form my ass but It wont surprise me its the only reason for the delay.

Me and my friends are on complete media and video lock down for this game. The beauty of a souls game is in the discovery. Sad to hear streamers and youtubers are getting it so early. Bloodborne was one of my favourite fromsoft games specifically because theory crafting and discovery with GAF and friends was so much fun.

_h8bit

Banned
I know. Just saying it does nothing other than annoy me. Not gonna get more hyped because some dude is playing and streaming early.

I understand some people will feel otherwise.

Right, I'm not saying I agree with it personally for this title. It's just sort of how publishers are leveraging platforms these days to build up hype and pre-orders.

I will say that I was lucky enough to play Bloodborne due to a broken street date. It's one of my fondest gaming experiences because i had literally no information to fall back on and it compounded on the game's already excellent sense of mystery. Not sure if i'll have a similar experience this time around :/

I understand reviewers getting it earlier, but not streamers, especially not 3 weeks instead on , say, one week (like Novum_Veritas said). They don't review the game, they just generate hype.

And I'm fairly sure the game is done, they're geting the english version Bamco just delayed the game to fit it in their new fiscal year. I know it may sound like tales form my ass but It wont surprise me its the only reason for the delay.

It seems pretty much confirmed, that the delay is only because of the end of the fiscal year.
They want it to count for the new fiscal year.
The sad part is, Bandai won't release it sooner only because streamers can already stream and play it.
That never worked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4bgwkm/a_new_info_in_regard_to_matchmaking/

So basically if this is correct, you have to use an item to allow an invader solo or have already summoned someone to help you. And the boss has to be alive in that area.

Also apparently weapon reinforcement level is taken into account for match makeing on top of soul level.

Pre-order cancelled. I wait for reviews and other articles regarding matchmaking. Multiplayer is very important to me since demon's souls and it was perfectly fine before Bloodborne.

Sylas

Pre-order cancelled. I wait for reviews and other articles regarding matchmaking. Multiplayer is very important to me since demon's souls and it was perfectly fine before Bloodborne.

I'm almost 100% certain this has been debunked. When you're in LoC mode, you can be invaded. Using the dried fingers just opens you up to a double invasion, while also allowing you to summon an additional white phantom.

Top Bottom