• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

I don't get that decision unless the writer called dibs or something.

Well, the idea of having two titans books is weird, so this was bound to happen.

Starfire is on the Teen Titans in the NuDCAU.

maxresdefault.jpg

Surprised that Beetle isn't a Titan.

Raven looks so good here. Wish her nu52 costume looked more like this.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is there some sort of official reason that DC doesn't have a Marvel Unlimited type of service?

Luigi87

Is there some sort of official reason that DC doesn't have a Marvel Unlimited type of service?

I really wish they did.
I would subscribe so fast...

I love both DC and Marvel, but I'm more interested in checking out back issues of DC stories.

tim1138

They don't want to cut into sales of their back catalogue. They apparently sell a lot of trades through Barnes and Noble, Books-a-Million, and whatever other book stores still exist, and feel like a Marvel Unlimited style service would hurt their bottom line.

Andodalf

Banned
Yeah, if they ever did they wouldn't put in the classics, because they still sell well. DC's classics like The Dark Knight returns sell waaaay more than any old marvel tpb.

tim1138

Yeah, if they ever did they wouldn't put in the classics, because they still sell well. DC's classics like The Dark Knight returns sell waaaay more than any old marvel tpb.

DC also keeps much more of their back catalogue in print than Marvel. Using DKR as an example, I dunno that it's ever gone out of print since its first collected release.

MartyStu

]DC also keeps much more of their back catalogue in print than Marvel.[/B] Using DKR as an example, I dunno that it's ever gone out of print since its first collected release.

Yup.

I once tried to buy Remender's Uncanny X-Force Omnibus a few months after it went on sale.

Out of print.

It was $60 when it was released. It is resold for $200+ now.

Adnor

Banned
DC also keeps much more of their back catalogue in print than Marvel. Using DKR as an example, I dunno that it's ever gone out of print since its first collected release.

Wasn't that one of the problems Alan Moore had with DC? Something about some of the rights of Watchmen going to him and Gibbons after a few years of going out of print, but DC never stopped printing it?

Wasn't that one of the problems Alan Moore had with DC? Something about some of the rights of Watchmen going to him and Gibbons after a few years of going out of print, but DC never stopped printing it?

Yes, the deal between Moore and Gibbons and DC was that the creators would get the rights to Watchmen back a year after it went out of print. At the time, trades didn't really exist so no one considered that it may never go out.

Sandfox

They don't want to cut into sales of their back catalogue. They apparently sell a lot of trades through Barnes and Noble, Books-a-Million, and whatever other book stores still exist, and feel like a Marvel Unlimited style service would hurt their bottom line.

I'm interested in seeing how that would break down.

Squire

Banned
Maybe they really wanted to keep certain line-ups intact? Or keep away any sexy tension between Starfire and Nightwing.

Her current solo is pretty sex positive though. She's a sexy 20-something, guys flirt with her, sometimes she tries to flirt. This is how the book generates half its comedy. And Dick is in the book, but I haven't read up to those issues.

Just seems like a weird step backwards to stick her with the teens.

aly

Her current solo is pretty sex positive though. She's a sexy 20-something, guys flirt with her, sometimes she tries to flirt. This is how the book generates half its comedy. And Dick is in the book, but I haven't read up to those issues.

Just seems like a weird step backwards to stick her with the teens.

This issue with Dick was actually pretty okay, better than the Batgirl one he was in at least. I was thinking more of it being easier to keep away from definite relationship stuff when they can only guest star in each others books instead of being on a team.

As long as Starfire is the cool and responsible adult mentor it doesn't sound too bad. Personally I'm more upset that Raven and Beast Boy can never move on from them.

shingi70

Banned
This issue with Dick was actually pretty okay, better than the Batgirl one he was in at least. I was thinking more of it being easier to keep away from definite relationship stuff when they can only guest star in each others books instead of being on a team.

As long as Starfire is the cool and responsible adult mentor it doesn't sound too bad. Personally I'm more upset that Raven and Beast Boy can never move on from them.

I liked the Dick issue of Batgirl, he was charming in a Shojo Manga Antagonist/love interest kind of way.

I'm looking forward to Batgirl but it does suck she's being ripped away from her established supporting cast.

Don't think this new Teen Titans art was posted. I'm interested, but I'm unsure of Benjamin Percy as a writer. Surprised they didn't tap on Tom Taylor to do anything.
Tom Taylor is effectively trash, not even Marvel wants him anywhere near their books.

Hopefully they can fix Earth 2 this time.

Squire

Banned

It could be much worse, yeah. I'm not thrilled about the choice, but it could be a nice execution.

I liked the Dick issue of Batgirl, he was charming in a Shojo Manga Antagonist/love interest kind of way.

I'm looking forward to Batgirl but it does suck she's being ripped away from her established supporting cast.

Hah, I like to imagine a parallel between Nightwing and Tuxedo Mask.

http://ruckawriter.tumblr.com/post/141734737228/explication-and-elaboration

Rucka did a quick Q&A about his upcoming run with Wonder Woman on his tumblr I am hype incarnate.

Adding to the MOAR section, looks like good shit

Who is he taking shots at over the smiling thing? Has the Finches' run been that bad?

That ain't his fault. Everyone else needs to watch more anime and get good.

The trials and tribulations of genius, I suppose.

I read the beginning half of the latest 52 run of action comics and superman, action was worlds better as far as story was concerned, how are the books now and which run is better?

Same goes for dc and batman runs, early new 52 batman was the shit and detective comics was a little weak. Loved Snyder and was wondering if Batman is still the better book.

How the fuck does this even fit into everything else?

You're gonna have to be a little more specific.

I read the beginning half of the latest 52 run of action comics and superman, action was worlds better as far as story was concerned, how are the books now and which run is better?

Same goes for dc and batman runs, early new 52 batman was the shit and detective comics was a little weak. Loved Snyder and was wondering if Batman is still the better book.

The Superman books right now (other than Lois & Clark) are kind of doing an ongoing crossover... thing. So it's a little tough to separate that out.

Batman is still better than Detective.

The Superman books right now (other than Lois & Clark) are kind of doing an ongoing crossover... thing. So it's a little tough to separate that out.

Thanks, looks like I'm going to just go ahead and catch up on both superman books then.

Has any batman stories been as good as court of owls lately?

Thanks, looks like I'm going to just go ahead and catch up on both superman books then.

Zero Year was at least on par, imo. Endgame was similarly good. Superheavy was... more mixed, but it finished extremely strong.

Oh, and it's three books, Superman/Wonder Woman got roped in too :/

Yousefb

All this Rebirth news regarding pre-Flashpoint and new52 Superman(s) has me curious about checking out the Lois and Clark series. Is it any good?

This reminds me of Azrael. Nobody could ever match how good it looked when Joe Quesada drew it.

Quesada's orders on Azrael were actually to design a terrible costume using all the worst impulses of the Image artists. The whole point of Knightfall was to give the finger to people demanding Batman be changed to be more nineties.

KonradLaw

Quesada's orders on Azrael were actually to design a terrible costume using all the worst impulses of the Image artists. The whole point of Knightfall was to give the finger to people demanding Batman be changed to be more nineties.

Yeah. But Quesada's Sword of Azrael's mini series was pure awesomeness. So at least we got something great out of it.
Plus, all the later redesigns of Azrael's costume suck like hell compared to the two versions from that mini.

It's still bugging me that I can't think of who "Raptor" is. The guy that's supposed to be Dick's new mentor. I feel like it was the codename his great-grandfather William Cobb went by, but I looked back in my Nightwing trades and they only ever refer to William as a Talon. But Talon's have codenames, like Strix. Unless she's the exception.

Either way it's bugging the shit out of me, because I feel like I should know who Raptor is.
CehRknpWQAIi-0w.jpg

Don't think this new Teen Titans art was posted. I'm interested, but I'm unsure of Benjamin Percy as a writer. Surprised they didn't tap on Tom Taylor to do anything.
RAAAAAAAA'S!
The current book Titans Hunt is tied to Rebirth at which point it becomes Titans.

When New52 started Dick was never a Titan(or the rest of them) when the Titans Hunt story started it was basically like there was an error in reality or something and they were part of a team and of what I read they try to figure out whats going on.
Also some villain is after that specific Titans team so thats why Dick brought back the Nightwing costume.
Here's the thing, though: The first issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws at the start of the New 52 has Jason stating the only reason Kori likes him is because he reminds her of Dick because they were part of the old TT. Roy even asks her if she remembers the team. So, Dick very clearly was on the TT in the New 52.
Agreed, but she may be mentoring the team. That would be acceptable.
Perhaps. Still, they could replace her with a different female character. Like, say Emiko?
Although she might be too similar to Damien.
Starfire is on the Teen Titans in the NuDCAU.

maxresdefault.jpg

Surprised that Beetle isn't a Titan.
Same. Switch out Garth for Jaime.

For fucking real. They should bring back Justice League Dark and have them both on that team.
Tom Taylor is effectively trash, not even Marvel wants him anywhere near their books.

Hopefully they can fix Earth 2 this time.
I really liked Earth 2 when he was on it, so I'm not sure what makes him trash.

Does anyone think we should be getting some omnibus's now that they are hitting 50 issues for new 52 comic series?

I don't know who all would even get omnibus. Synder for sure, Geoff Johns aquaman I think was going to be collected Azzarello's WW, maybe GJ's JL, other then that, there weren't too many runs that were both long enough and good enough to warrant an omnibus. Maybe Tomasi's B&R as well.

I don't know who all would even get omnibus. Synder for sure, Geoff Johns aquaman I think was going to be collected Azzarello's WW, maybe GJ's JL, other then that, there weren't too many runs that were both long enough and good enough to warrant an omnibus. Maybe Tomasi's B&R as well.
Earth 2

Briarios

As a guy that was a huge DC fan that lapsed due to all the reboots/relaunches/whatever ... This concept of mixing them all seems more confusing the way Johns described it. I'm interested because some of the creative teams seem awesome, but it seems pretty exclusionary for new readers.

I guess I'm one of the guys they're trying to get back, because I bailed during the New 52 period ... But I'm just not convinced by his explanation.

As a guy that was a huge DC fan that lapsed due to all the reboots/relaunches/whatever ... This concept of mixing them all seems more confusing the way Johns described it. I'm interested because some of the creative teams seem awesome, but it seems pretty exclusionary for new readers.

I guess I'm one of the guys they're trying to get back, because I bailed during the New 52 period ... But I'm just not convinced by his explanation.

I don't understand the problem. Just take it as a fresh start. You know these new series are always going to start with a recap of whatever the status quo is.

Briarios

I don't understand the problem. Just take it as a fresh start. You know these new series are always going to start with a recap of whatever the status quo is.

And, that's the issue ... That you, nor DC, understand what the problem is. Shuffling a whole bunch of realities with the baggage that entails into a new line up isn't inviting. DC sales are dropping ridiculously. Them saying hey, we're bring back what you love about DC, but it's not a reboot or relaunch, we're just picking and choosing our favorite bits from pre and post crisis and the New 52 and convergence and maybe this and that from the animated universe ... It's just a turn off.

Read some of the comments from comic store owners:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/27/retailers-complain-about-collapsing-marvel-and-dc-sales/

Putting on blinders about the problems and challenges DC and Marvel face isn't doing anyone any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom