• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveCake

Added the hands to my mock up. I think it look nice.. like something futuristic. Starting to like the idea a lot.

2AlzoTS.jpg

The image in the OP doesn't show buttons only the sticks, the buttons cannot have the image showing through them, unless they are not physical buttons, which really wouldn't work imo.

This looks like the controller is the hand-held part of the console?

The image in the OP doesn't show buttons only the sticks, the buttons cannot have the image showing through them, unless they are not physical buttons, which really wouldn't work imo.

This looks like the controller is the hand-held part of the console?

The assumption is that they are not physical buttons, but haptic buttons on the touchscreen

Being a picture that closely matches a trailer/youtube video for a tech demo but zoomed in on a portion of the screen and off centered should point out to most that it's fake.
If it showed a little bit more to the left or right then it would probably prove that it's real, but that video would be unwatchable or very strange to see at the very least if you could only see that portion.

Yes, but we have no idea of the context. It's a real time demo and the photograph shows controls which would probably be for the camera in that case. I'm more concerned about lighting nuances and the like than how cropped that frame in the demo is.

And if it is a hoaxer, they planned other parts of the photo quite well. They talked about scrolling shoulder buttons, but why not show them more? Then, you have the analog nubs, which are actually perfectly designed for their function. Having more of a nub than a stick not only builds on something that Ninendo may have been toying with in the new 3DS, but also makes sense if they are to be the only two true physical inputs on the face.

As I've mentioned in the past, if "clicky sticks" are to be used to make Mario jump or serve as a general action button, they'd need a drastic redesign. What we see here might just work, as the tilting movement one gets with analog sticks isn't present. And if there are motors under them, another potential issue is addressed, as this type of nub would probably be more durable than the shaft of a traditional stick.

So yeah, it's actually pretty damn clever either way.

Gorgeous!

Uhh, what? The N3DS and Vita both bit in my pockets perfectly. The only one that's ridiculously huge is the XL.

The Vita has protruding analogs and it's fine.

You're got some big pockets then, I'd never put a Vita in my pocket, new 3DS would fit, but I live in America where their scarce.

Devil

Uhh, what? The N3DS and Vita both bit in my pockets perfectly. The only one that's ridiculously huge is the XL.

There is barely a difference between their measurements in terms of portabilty (not my pic):
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/07/3dsxldsc04399mat600.jpg

Actually, I'd never put any Handheld in my pockets, it always goes in a backpack or something similar. If the NX Handheld looks like this rumor I'd see no portabilty problem. I always use the microfibre bag which came with the wireless PS4 gold headset and put it in my bag and would do the same for the NX.

I dont know if this came from gaf, but transparent physical buttons could be the best solution.

nintendo_controller_patent_nx_3__large.jpg

How is that supposed to work?
Did the creator of this image ever put apart any controller? There would still be a lot of holes required for each button, so this doesn't make any sense, except, as plagiarize said, when you put little screens on each button, which would be ridiculously expensive.

Did the creator of this image ever put apart any controller? There would still be a lot of holes required for each button, so this doesn't make any sense, except, as plagiarize said, when you put little screens on each button, which would be ridiculously expensive.

It would be really cool tho.

Pif

Banned
Any price analysis on this and how much budget it would take away from a 300€ machine?

All of a suden, those rumours about the console being sightly below an xbox one seem plausible. And fucking awful.

Take the screen, put a transparent plastic bubble over where a button would be.

Galava

It's still off centered and zoomed in. As a tech demo it would be rather worthless since you can't see a lot of the effects.
I think it casts enough room for doubt that without more confirmation it shouldn't be taken too seriously

Maybe the "device" in order to fill that extra-wide aspect ratio just zooms-in to fill the whole screen. I'm just covering all posibilities in case it's real.

Maybe the "device" in order to fill that extra-wide aspect ratio just zooms-in to fill the whole screen. I'm just covering all posibilities in case it's real.
but it's still off centered. You'd think that if they wouldn't bother adjusting the demo for a wider view that they would at least take up all the horizontal space they could or at least make it be centered

As for what "haptic buttons" means, I'm not expecting anything significantly more advanced than what's in the Steam Controller or even a touch screen keyboard on cell phones. You get a little vibration when you press it. They can program it to varying degrees of intensity and have a motor on either side and that will provide a nice effect.

I'm sure there will be some option(s) for physical traditional controls, but I don't think most people would need to feel a button underneath their thumb for the input to be intuitive. A number of genres (not all) would probably work well with 4 regions mapped around the analog nubs.

And in all honesty, if this is primarily a handheld, we need to accept the times we live in. Most kids and casual adult gamers are fine with just a touch screen. The type of configuration pictured would already offer many more options than those gamers are used to. Nintendo are trying to capture a wide audience of everyday people. They'll have options for hardcore gamers, but why would they release a traditional controller when they've said time and time again that they're not competing in the high end market? If they can make Zelda, Mario, and Metroid work with 2 analog nubs, scroll wheels, and a touch screen, that's cool by me. I've been playing games a long time. In a reductionist sense, it boils down to pressing buttons. I welcome new types of input just as much as I welcome VR.

The_Lump

Banned
As for what "haptic buttons" means, I'm not expecting anything significantly more advanced than what's in the Steam Controller or even a touch screen keyboard on cell phones. You get a little vibration when you press it. They can program it to varying degrees of intensity and have a motor on either side and that will provide a nice effect.

I'm sure there will be some option(s) for physical traditional controls, but I don't think most people would need to feel a button underneath their thumb for the input to be intuitive. A number of genres (not all) would probably work well with 4 regions mapped around the analog nubs.

And in all honesty, if this is primarily a handheld, we need to accept the times we live in. Most kids and casual adult gamers are fine with just a touch screen. The type of configuration pictured would already offer many more options than those gamers are used to. Nintendo are trying to capture a wide audience of everyday people. They'll have options for hardcore gamers, but why would they release a traditional controller when they've said time and time again that they're not competing in the high end market? If they can make Zelda, Mario, and Metroid work with 2 analog nubs, scroll wheels, and a touch screen, that's cool by me. I've been playing games a long time. In a reductionist sense, it boils down to pressing buttons. I welcome new types of input just as much as I welcome VR.

Well said. I replied with the intention of adding something to this, but it sums up my thoughts exactly.

Jedi2016

I don't see there being much use for screen-buttons, or any indicator on the controller of what's changed from game to game. Simply for the fact that you'd have to be continuously looking down to see what button is what.

I think the patent is more describing an evolution of the WiiU gamepad. While this design is novel and intriguing, I don't see it being very feasible for actually gaming on.

JonnyKong

I feel like the person who created this quite obviously fake picture must be feeling pretty pleased to have mustered up 100 pages here on GAF. He's probably won a competition somewhere on some obscure site to see who can get the most attention from a fake leak.

LoveCake

The assumption is that they are not physical buttons, but haptic buttons on the touchscreen

I am not keen on that at all, I have played a few games like that on my phone & Kindle & don't like it at all.

Why would the screen need to be the full controller?

I dont know if this came from gaf, but transparent physical buttons could be the best solution.

That would be better, but still not great :/

I don't have a problem with the WiiU game pad other than the battery life being too short, physically it could do with being a bit smaller, an inch/25mm on the width but that's all imo.

I feel like the person who created this quite obviously fake picture must be feeling pretty pleased to have mustered up 100 pages here on GAF. He's probably won a competition somewhere on some obscure site to see who can get the most attention from a fake leak.

There was an patent application for a controller like this from Nintendo.

UIX5oLn.jpg

Nintendo touchscreen controller patent offers clues about upcoming NX The person who made that mock up is going from the patent drawing.

Because it was getting late and they needed to settle on an idea so everyone could go home.

I can't wait to read the next interview where they say the engineers were getting tired and Ninty couldn't afford overtime so they just glued a couple spare analog sticks to their iPhones and walked out the building

please, can we please stop talking about it

It may be 100% fake, but I think it's led to some interesting talk about how such a controller might work. Also this leak specifically could be fake, but it wouldn't rule out the possibility that the controller may be like it in some capacity. It's also fun to speculate and see mock ups. It's the only way to keep sane while waiting for E3.

Darkangel

The only thing that makes me think this could be real is the spherical analog stick design. Seems like a bit of a strange/subtle little detail for a fan mock-up. The Wii U gamepad originally had 3DS-style sliders, so Nintendo is definitely willing to mix things up.

I really hope this is fake though. If this is the actual NX controller then it seems like Nintendo wants to combine the failed multi-screen gameplay of the Wii U, with the terrible touch controls of an iPhone (haptic bubble things still won't be as good as physical buttons).

It's interesting seeing the reactions to this.

Let's be clear- despite the reactions from many here, this was not an obvious, laughable fake. There's no obvious signs of Photoshopping or image manipulation, and the concepts behind the purported controller are pretty believable as to a path that Nintendo might be going down. Until the exact frame from the UE4 demo was pulled out and compared, there wasn't really any smoking gun for either side, and even that's not a total slam dunk (although, on the balance of probabilities, it does make me think that it's fake). I'm inclined to think that a physical model was built based off the patent imagery, and a believable-looking screenshot was Photoshopped onto it to add credibility. If that is indeed the case, this is an incredible fake, with a hell of a lot of time, attention and detail put into it. However, people leapt onto it and called it an obvious fake because of their disbelief over the concepts shown, rather than the actual execution of the picture itself. Considering how little we know about the NX's overall direction, that's more than a little silly.

The funny thing is SuperMetalDave as a video about the possibility of NX using Tactus in a video dated from January. It is just a gentle look at what it is. Was it confirmed that SuperMetalDave was Trevelyn from the Zelda/NX Marketing leak?

Gone full circle ha.

BibiMaghoo

Though I hate the idea, I can see some good benefits of having digital buttons. A dev and their game can use as many or as few buttons as they require, and position them in places that are comfortable for the game. That is a level of freedom no console has yet provided. It could be useful.

Illucio

Banned

It's the better solution for its design, but it's design itself is bad.

It's different and neat to look at but it's tremendously bad in almost every department.

They should rethink the screen entirely.

Edit: as others had mention this would be great for developers in order to make whatever control scheme they wanted.
But it's bad for consumers because now we have to learn a huge variety of different control schemes, don't have hardly any option to customize them to fit our preferences, and some games benefit from having tradition press able buttons as well as opposed to buttons on screen.

This is +1 for developers
-2 for consumers

JaseMath

I was going to write a longer post, but it all boils down to this: that controller sucks.

Take away the possible screen everywhere gimmick (let's call it what it is), and what are you left with? If Sony or MS released a controller with those ergonomics, the internet would be calling for blood. It's okay here, though. It's Nintendo.

I was going to write a longer post, but it all boils down to this: that controller sucks.

Take away the possible screen everywhere gimmick (let's call it what it is), and what are you left with? If Sony or MS released a controller with those ergonomics, the internet would be calling for blood. It's okay here, though. It's Nintendo.

I wouldn't sum up this thread as "It's okay, though"

thefro

The funny thing is SuperMetalDave as a video about the possibility of NX using Tactus in a video dated from January. It is just a gentle look at what it is. Was it confirmed that SuperMetalDave was Trevelyn from the Zelda/NX Marketing leak?

Gone full circle ha.

That was just speculation by him based on what another Youtuber was saying. It wasn't based on any insider info or sources.

This. All of this.

People should think more like this and then they could be a lot happier.

LOL are we reading the same thread or do I need to post the literal hundred plus posts shitting on it

The only thing which makes no sense for me is the camera of the (fake?) Controller which is UNDER the display. Why would they do something like that? Filming your upper body instesd of your face or what? I don't think Nintendo would design it that way.

Calvero

Banned

lmao, what thread are you reading? it's been constantly shit on and everyone is condemning Nintendo as if this was confirmed true.

skypunch

Banned
LOL are we reading the same thread or do I need to post the literal hundred plus posts shitting on it

It's a shame. If it really is the NX Controller (or is similar), then I'm all for it. It looks wicked. Can't wait to play a sexy new Xenoblade, Mario, Zelda, or (let's hope) Metroid with it. I'm so excited for the NX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom