• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks awesome. I would love this.

Thanks.

If you put the image on a phone you can try out how it would feel. The sticks are real, and the buttons are just on the screen. Since the sticks are physical they provide a physical reference for the software buttons. The lack of a physical press could be handled with haptics.

The only thing which makes no sense for me is the camera of the (fake?) Controller which is UNDER the display. Why would they do something like that? Filming your upper body instesd of your face or what? I don't think Nintendo would design it that way.

Unless you are Tom Thumb it shouldn't matter, just means it might be centred on your mouth instead of your forehead as you look dead on. The DSi camera was below the top screen, I think it was aiming parallel with the top screen too but I don't have one to hand.

_PsiFire_

The bad thing with digital buttons is not being able to feel them under the thumb before pressing them, this makes the haptic feedback useless, because you still only feel it after the press.

So there's 4 buttons we won't have anymore, 8 if you include d-pads....or do we??

The scroll wheels give us 4 extra inputs though. Not only can you press the trigger you can roll it left and right now - 2 added inputs per trigger.

Also, the only times on screen buttons are useful is when you don't have to hit the screen in that perfect spot. Ie the entire right side of the screen is one input, the entire left side of the screen is an input. It would also be easy to make the screen a quadrant of inputs, bottom-left/right, top-left/right. You don't have to think of where you need to press too hard and it's easy to get back to the stick.

There's 8 inputs that we would be missing.

Not saying I love that idea but it could work. Also, I'm on #teamreal but this is only a concept that isn't the final product.

Also, those analog sticks have new tech that has been discussed on thread that I can't recall the name of. Where it's like foam pressed rather than a moving mechanism.

Great for handheld which I believe this a prototype of.

The_Lump

Banned
Not sure transparent physical buttons will work like people think they will. Physical control surfaces go through the screen, they don't sit in top of it. So there won't be screen beneath them, meaning transparency is pointless.

I was going to write a longer post, but it all boils down to this: that controller sucks.

Take away the possible screen everywhere gimmick (let's call it what it is), and what are you left with? If Sony or MS released a controller with those ergonomics, the internet would be calling for blood. It's okay here, though. It's Nintendo.

Yeah maybe skim through the thread before replying next time...

An ingenious solution to a problem that never existed. Nintendo need to stop doing things different just for the sake of being different.

As a pure handheld, something like this wouldn't be too bad. As a dedicated home console, it's just adding stuff that isn't necessary for the sake of it.

This would basically be a 'sleeker' revision of the Wii U, a product that sold miserably and even Nintendo themselves found no real use for the secondary screen. Pointless.

Don't do it Nintendo. Go full on VR instead, it's your big chance to become relevant again!

Assuming that there is some truth to this, how much would a controller like this cost for Nintendo? Due to what happened with the Wii U, I doubt that they would want another controller with a very heavy cost.

I've been thinking of how the resolution is going to work on this thing.

Personally I'd just go for a rectangular cinema-scope format at 1280x540:

ewGfbGj.png

In the gray area you would place the analog sticks and the speakers on the edge outside of the screen. This is ideal for ports of Vita games for instance so there's no conflict in the displays of said ports. If they want to use the extra space that's fine, but still, I'm having a hard time figuring out how this would all work on an oval-shaped screen.

Galava

...Go full on VR instead, it's your big chance to become relevant again!

VR is not going to become that big of a thing in gaming, it will exist and act as a very nice addon for your gaming experience, but VR will NOT become the main gaming form. Tell me how you are going to sell VR to small kids.

VR is going to be for enthusiasts, and Nintendo is not a company for enthusiasts.

Just accept the fact that Nintenod has its own market and that it ISN'T competing with XBOX/PS.

I missed this thread but kinda didn't want to comment since everyone thinks this idea is stupid. I think it looks alright! And something like this could definitely work:

I had this mock up

kUqAN8a.jpg

If any of this leak is real, I think it would actually be the "handheld" form of the NX instead of the controller for the console.

The Adder

Banned
An ingenious solution to a problem that never existed. Nintendo need to stop doing things different just for the sake of being different

Seriously. Why the fuck did they have to put that weird ass d-pad on the NES controller? Or buttons on the top of the SNES controller? And who the fuck wanted their controller to vibrate?

God damn it. Why couldn't they have stuck to a joystick and two buttons?

I missed this thread but kinda didn't want to comment since everyone thinks this idea is stupid. I think it looks alright! And something like this could definitely work:

If any of this leak is real, I think it would actually be the "handheld" form of the NX instead of the controller for the console.

Not everyone hates it! And the assumptions that it's a controller and not a handheld are causing a lot of unnecessary rage. That is not what the patent was written as, and 'leaker' never claimed it was a controller either.

I was going to write a longer post, but it all boils down to this: that controller sucks.

Take away the possible screen everywhere gimmick (let's call it what it is), and what are you left with? If Sony or MS released a controller with those ergonomics, the internet would be calling for blood. It's okay here, though. It's Nintendo.

Did you actually skim through some of the pages not this thread or...

Seriously. Why the fuck did they have to put that weird ass d-pad on the NES controller? Or buttons on the top of the SNES controller? And who the fuck wanted their controller to vibrate?

oh look, another poster that thinks that nintendo was the only company to think of an alternative to the 2600 joystick.

My eyes, you can hear them rolling from miles away

Darkangel

There's a difference between logical evolution and fixing something that isn't broken.

Banned
I had this mock up

kUqAN8a.jpg

You can put this image on a phone and simulate how you would hold it

This is totally awesome!!!
As amazing as that video looks, how would transparent physical buttons work? Don't buttons need a membrane and wafer chip underneath it? I don't see how a screen could light up a button without showing some gel membrane underneath.

There's a difference between logical evolution and fixing something that isn't broken.

Its only a logical evolution in retrospect. At the time when no one knew what it was or would do it could be called "fixing something that isn't broken." if people try something new and it works out = logical, if they try something new and it doesn't work out = what was the point. Bottom line is we don't know until something is tried.

Haha. Whoops. I meant The Adder.

I figured that's what you meant.

here's the deal. The adder was responding to another poster that said nintendo needs to end it with the gimmicks and nonsense, and largely I agree with him. Whether this idea is legitimate or not (and it REALLY needs to not be) there's a trail of "why the hell would you do that" bad hardware ideas going all the way back to the virtual boy.

The adder decided to respond with some nonsense about "b-b-b-but the D-pad!", not realizing the D-pad was an iterative improvement on what was already in the market by the time the NES launched. It wasn't some "out of left field" craziness that no one but nintendo was daring enough to try.

Mattel had developed an 8 way directional disc for the intellivision in 1978. Milton Bradley had made an omnidirectional self centering analog thumbstick for the Vectrex in 1983.

All this shit was out there. The D pad was an improvement on the horrific 2600 joystick, but so were literally a dozen other systems by the time the NES launched.

this guy straight clownin... lmao

The Adder

Banned
oh look, another poster that thinks that nintendo was the only company to think of an alternative to the 2600 joystick.

My eyes, you can hear them rolling from miles away

D-pad's theirs. Do you think they'd have used someone else's patent instead?

No there isn't. The only difference comes after the fact and is based on broader acceptance.

here's the deal. The adder was responding to another poster that said nintendo needs to end it with the gimmicks and nonsense, and largely I agree with him. Whether this idea is legitimate or not (and it REALLY needs to not be) there's a trail of "why the hell would you do that" bad hardware ideas going all the way back to the virtual boy.

The adder decided to respond with some nonsense about "b-b-b-but the D-pad!", not realizing the D-pad was an iterative improvement on what was already in the market by the time the NES launched. It wasn't some "out of left field" craziness that no one but nintendo was daring enough to try.

Mattel had developed an 8 way directional disc for the intellivision in 1978. Milton Bradley had made an omnidirectional self centering analog thumbstick for the Vectrex in 1983.

All this shit was out there. The D pad was an improvement on the horrific 2600 joystick, but so were literally a dozen other systems by the time the NES launched.

I'm sorry, do we not live inna world where god damn near everyone owns and plays games on a tablet and the second most popular gaming system of all time had a touch screen?

D-pad's theirs. Do you think they'd have used someone else's patent instead?

No there isn't. The only difference comes after the fact and is based on broader acceptance.

Your reasoning is in the wrong way. People aren't complaining that Nintendo is adding input. People are complaining that they are removing input.
Or to put it in your own words:
"God damn it ! They finally understood that we only need a stick and a button !"

The Adder

Banned
there were superior alternatives to the Dpad in the market before the NES launched. It wasn't "2600 joystick or nothing."

Yeah, but what stuck around. The fact that you believe those alternatives to be superior but yet and still the d-pad is the one that withstood the test of time only serves to further make my point.

Your reasoning is in the wrong way. People aren't complaining that Nintendo is adding input. People are complaining that they are removing input.
Or to put it in your own words:
"God damn it ! They finally understood that we only need a stick and a button !"

No, they're expanding input by making the entire handheld/controller a potential array of inputs, while also improving inputs by adding scroll wheels to the shoulder buttons.

I'm sorry, do we not live inna world where god damn near everyone owns and plays games on a tablet and the second most popular gaming system of all time had a touch screen?

Are you actually crediting the popularity of the iphone and ipad to NINTENDO? I think you need to stop posting.

Yeah, but what stuck around. The fact that you believe those alternatives to be superior but yet and still the d-pad is the one that withstood the test of time only serves to further make my point.

you have no point, since by far the most popular controller input (touchscreens aside) is the self centering analog joystick, developed by Mattel in 1982. The D-pad is a relic.

have a nice day.

Are you actually crediting the popularity of the iphone and ipad to NINTENDO? I think you need to stop posting.

He isn't though. He's saying people loves touch screen, so let's be touch screen only. I disagree with his statement, but he didn't said what you said he said.

No, they're expanding input by making the entire handheld/controller a potential array of inputs, while also improving inputs by adding scroll wheels to the shoulder buttons.

The only good idea here is scroll wheels as shoulder buttons. As for the rest, they're replacing what worked with what doesn't work. Basically, less buttons, and worse buttons at that. I don't even dismiss the idea of touch buttons, but why not have both ?
Like this for exemple:

here's the deal. The adder was responding to another poster that said nintendo needs to end it with the gimmicks and nonsense, and largely I agree with him. Whether this idea is legitimate or not (and it REALLY needs to not be) there's a trail of "why the hell would you do that" bad ideas going all the way back to the virtual boy.

DPad was only one argument though. What about rumble what was the point of including that? Now it's standard. What was the point of motion Controls? Now every Controller has some sort of motion Control built it whether it be the gyroscope or accelerometer and is a big part of the VR movement now. They try new stuff but even if it's concept isn't fully realized parts of it are usually incorporated and become standard in the industry,stuff that wouldn't happen if someone didn't take a risk to try it out I the first place.

DPad was only one argument though. What about rumble what was the point of including that? Now it's standard. What was the point of motion Controls? Now every Controller has some sort of motion Control built it whether it be the gyroscope or accelerometer and is a big part of the VR movement now. They try new stuff but even if it's concept isn't fully realized parts of it are usually incorporated and become standard in the industry,stuff that wouldn't happen if someone didn't take a risk to try it out I the first place.

You're missing the point though. These were additions.

The Adder

Banned

I know you can read better than this, so you"re just being intentionally obtuse.

What I am saying is that nothing about this controller is "out of left field" given that every fucking body already games on what is effectively just a screen using touch inputs. In other words "all this shit was out there"

you have no point, since by far the most popular controller input (touchscreens aside) is the self centering analog joystick, developed by Mattel in 1982. The D-pad is a relic.

have a nice day.

I'm sorry, has there not been a d-pad (or a version that won't get a company sued) on every single console and handheld controller since the NES?

skypunch

Banned

Gotcha. Interesting to know! I guess I just didn't take his post as him implying that Nintendo was the first one to implement all that stuff, that's all.

Orayn

have a nice day.

Mattel's implementation was a dead end in its released version. They went from great quality prototypes based on RC plane controls to a much lower quality rubber boot and it was one of the many things wrong with the Atari 5200.

Later versions don't have much in common with what Mattel did.

The Adder

Banned
He isn't though. He's saying people loves touch screen, so let's be touch screen only. I disagree with his statement, but he didn't said what you said he said.

The only good idea here is scroll wheels as shoulder buttons. As for the rest, they're replacing what worked with what doesn't work. Basically, less buttons, and worse buttons at that. I don't even dismiss the idea of touch buttons, but why not have both ?
Like this for exemple:

Not liking it is fine. My primary point was that bitching about Nintendo needing to stop trying new things with their controllers is stupid given that Nintendo trying new things with their controllers has been setting industry standards from the start.

They've certainly gotten things wrong, but they don't need to stop doing it because when they're right it lasts.

Assuming that there is some truth to this, how much would a controller like this cost for Nintendo? Due to what happened with the Wii U, I doubt that they would want another controller with a very heavy cost.

We don't know much about the thing so it's hard to say. But if this thing is streaming from the console and all that, it should have mostly the same tech as the Wii U pad, now with an added odd shaped and no doubt expensive screen in a smaller overall package. So that seems quite a lot more expensive even.

Not liking it is fine. My primary point was that bitching about Nintendo needing to stop trying new things with their controllers is stupid given that Nintendo trying new things with their controllers has been setting industry standards from the start.

They've certainly gotten things wrong, but they don't need to stop doing it because when they're right it lasts.

I agree but I also disagree at the same time. I love when Nintendo add inputs. But I don't like when Nintendo just do different for the sake of being different. This controller just scream "we have no ideas" while at the same time, the true innovation is just right here, on the shoulder button. THIS is a good idea. It improves an input and gives it more possibilities.

But with the touchscreen button thing, they're just trying to replace in a clumsy way sth that worked perfectly.In fact, a true innovation IMO would've been physical button with sensitive touch on them. You keep your input, and you improve it.

bachikarn

VR is not going to become that big of a thing in gaming, it will exist and act as a very nice addon for your gaming experience, but VR will NOT become the main gaming form. Tell me how you are going to sell VR to small kids.

VR is going to be for enthusiasts, and Nintendo is not a company for enthusiasts.

Just accept the fact that Nintenod has its own market and that it ISN'T competing with XBOX/PS.

You sure Nintendo isn't a company for enthusiasts? Sales of the Wii U suggest otherwise

Pokemaniac

It's not really an expansion, though, it's a replacement. And the new version has some pretty noted disadvantages in terms of precision and usability over what it would be replacing.

He's back.

Sorry for the delay but I am very busy and it made a lot of noise for which may have had shown ... (also sorry for my english)

I come back to you as soon as possible

Cordially.

Oh and I do not work on the project (team of 5) And yes unreal tech "mobile" demo on the device (the minimum ...) not obvious to the rest, I prefer to leave aside for the time, other things curly.

"The minimum" sounds like he definitely wants people to focus on that. Not sure why he'd comment on the number of people on the team. That would make it easier to find out who he is, right? Or at least the supposed team working on this.

Edit: Plot thickens.

n0Tw40P.png

Could be someone else impersonating him, but who knows. Contradictory information, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom