• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Your console can output whatever you want, but the devs still decide what resolution their games run in.

Then why is the statement that running Scorpio at 1080p opposed to 4K wouldn't net any benefit so inaccurate?

What's being discussed is:

1- Devs can target 1080p and the console will just upscale the image.
2- Devs will create profiles for 1080p and 4k, where, when running at 1080p the game has enhanced graphics and/or framerate.
3- Devs must always target 4k and when the console is running at 1080p it'll be the same game without any enhancement.

If you take Spencer statement from the other thread you can rule out number 2, because he says that only with a 4K TV the console makes sense.

Fury451

Banned
I thought Scorpio wouldn't do anything for a 1080p image? This has to be the most confusing messaging since the original Xbox One reveal, holy shit.

He's Don Mattricking all over the place.

Maybe someone put a gypsy curse on MS and they physically can't talk about new Xbox hardware without bungling the message.

People trying so hard to make this into the Xbox One fiasco.

All of you are educated, it's not a hard thing to understand.

We are over a YEAR AND A HALF till launch. It'll be plenty fine.

And people are trying so hard to handwave away such a gross failing in messaging from a company head who's last product failed in part from bad messaging.

Whether it's as bad as the Original Xbox one reveal is immaterial. How has any kind of communication error, of any magnitude, been allowed to happen surrounding an upcoming product launch?

Of course this is going to go away in 18 months time. People have short memories. Doesn't change the fact that right here, right now, this is a clusterfuck that should of been seen a mile away and avoided.

Clearly this shows the the Scorpio is alot earlier in the conception stage than the marketing videos suggest.

Not only that, but yesterday's confusion over the Xb1 S shows that this is problem that is systemic in Microsoft as an organisation.

The contradictions are amazing. Good lord how can one person not stay on point? You initiated this discussion by making it the capper of your press conference and then proceed to not give a clear and consistent message and vision. How? How is they a possible. You're the head of a division. It's like....one of the basic requirements of your job

What if there's more than one Spencer? Like this rogue clone going around saying different things.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think the main problem is that, since cloning Phil in order to replace all execs at Xbox, we've started seeing degradation of the clones. It's not Phil Prime making these contradictory remakes and interviews but rather faulty clones. You can easily tell which Phil is the original, if it's something that's positive.

pitchfork

You heard it here guys, let's pack it up. No reason to talk about conflicting messages coming out of gamings biggest show. I'm sorry but talking about it is what we do on GAF. Believe it or not but push back from gamers is what saved the Xbox ones disaster of a DRM solution.

We all realize they have time to fix it

The conflicting messaging is a concern, and rightly should be discussed and addressed

What i'm referring to specifically is the hyperbolic 'console is dead 18 months before its even launched' comments

greenegt

I don't think that's whats going on here. Seem to be a little willful ignorance going on, but I digress. Clearly they built a 4K machine, but their not going to mandate design decisions on developers. They tried that in the past with 720p on XB360 and it didn't go over well.

No, common sense says MS won't mandate resolution, etc., but Phil's statements need to be better. There should not be a question in anyone's mind about what the Scorpio will do.

VinFTW

It's not about that, it's about their shit PR.

They just need to stfu about it. In 18 months a lot can happen and change. Why fuck with your consumers like this when you don't have something palpable?

The PR is fine.

Its a powerful console capable of not just 4K movies, but 4K games, but he's not going to FORCE every developer to be ham-stringed by 4K resolution. Developers can choose what they want, either 4K resolution or enhanced visuals at 1080p.

Really, that's it.

kingwingin

You're telling me this is worse than the Xbox One reveal already?

LMAO, oh man, that's a good one.

It's obvious what he's saying:

This console can play some 4K games with ease, probably no 60FPS games (CoD, Halo, etc).

Other developers will use it to increase the fidelity if they don't find 4K that important.
We have an entire thread of people who said they'd almost prefer enhanced graphics with 1080p resolution over 4K, and now all of a sudden that's 'too confusing' and 'makes no sense'.

Phils smart. He knows not every game will run at a decent FR w/ 4K resolution. Therefore, he wants it to be known when the first game that's NOT 4K is announced, people don't freak out and doom say that the console can't run 4K games. It just won't be able to run all of them.

I really fail to see how

A) This is confusing, at all
B) This is ANYWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS THE XBOX ONE REVEAL. Like, what?
I wasnt being serious.

GHG

The PR is fine.

Its a powerful console capable of not just 4K movies, but 4K games, but he's not going to FORCE every developer to be ham-stringed by 4K resolution. Developers can choose what they want, either 4K resolution or enhanced visuals at 1080p.

Really, that's it.

It's simple when you say it but that's not how they are saying it. And that's the problem.

Interfectum

The PR is fine.

Really, that's it.

“You should buy [the Xbox One S], because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you.” - Phil Spencer on if you don't have a 4K tv.

I wouldn't say the PR is 'fine' tbh.

The conflicting messaging is a concern, and rightly should be discussed and addressed

What i'm referring to specifically is the hyperbolic 'console is dead 18 months before its even launched' comments

Gotcha I agree with you there. Console warriors are gonna do that. It's best to ignore them.

And leave the field clear for Sony to announce the Neo and have months of open 'next-next gen' PR again?

I doubt this incoherent PR is doing them a lot of good. They obviously didn't have their guidelines set in stone yet, so maybe just announcing the Xbox One S would've been a more positive conversation to have. That thing is a great move, apart from the missed opportunity at PS4 parity.

The Argus

He clearly said during the E3 interview with Major Nelson that the systems power can be used for anything the dev wants to do with it. So 1080P and sweet graphics are confirmed. Something got misquoted here.

The PR is fine.

Really, that's it.

And just a few hours ago the message was completely different. That's the problem.

Strootman

The PR is fine.

Really, that's it.
This.

It's not that hard to say, phil.

Segaswirl

The games will be running at a higher resolution than 1080p, even if the devs opt to not go 4K. So if you have a 1080p TV you won't see the difference. That's my take from all of this anyway.

VinFTW

“You should buy [the Xbox One S], because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you.” - Phil Spencer on if you don't have a 4K tv.

The Xbox One S has zero to do with 4K gaming.

That's just an UHD blu-ray player.

And just a few hours ago the message was completely different. That's the problem.

No, it wasn't.

Stop trying to force an entire company's vision into a single text article.

ironcreed

Banned
If you think they are going to stop devs from using that extra juice at lower resolutions for everyone else who does not have a 4K TV then you are smoking crack. This is getting twisted into a shitstorm that will never take place. They are not that stupid, people. But have fun.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

"Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you."

this is what happens when people only read thread titles and skim bold text.

harSon

Banned
The PR is fine.

Really, that's it.

It's pretty clear IMO.

I'm glad I'm not in a position where my every word is parsed from top to bottom for underlying meaning. People misspeak sometimes folks, especially those who've likely had little sleep over the last week or two since they're planning for a goddamned conference lmao.

goonergaz

made me think of this;

591cd1ac863bc76ab23b8b965b1a4b0eada02768e0473bb6360e323f17acd4ef.jpg

Angel_DvA

How can people say the message isn't confusing when Spencer said this earlier :

“Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for.”

So Scorpio is for 4k gamer but will run games at sub 4K lol ? wtf...

Metfanant

The PR is fine.
It's really not...

It's never ok for the head of a product division to reveal a new product, and deliver completely contradictory messages about what the product does, and does not do within days of the reveal...

That is shit PR...yes, people should be able to see through the BS with some common sense, but that doesn't excuse fumbling your message...ESPECIALLY after the debacle that was the Xbone launch...

He clearly said during the E3 interview with Major Nelson that the systems power can be used for anything the dev wants to do with it. So 1080P and sweet graphics are confirmed. Something got misquoted here.
Nothing was misquoted...Phil misspoke...there is a difference

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I doubt this incoherent PR is doing them a lot of good. They obviously didn't have their guidelines set in stone yet, so maybe just announcing the Xbox One S would've been a more positive conversation to have. That thing is a great move, apart from the missed opportunity at PS4 parity.
I doubt the PR is doing absolutely anything at all considering they've made no formal announcements about Scorpio besides the fact that it's releasing next year and it's more powerful than Xbone. If they're still 'incoherent' about what it does when they sit down to talk about it concretely then MS's shareholders can start to worry.

Caronte

We have a product for people without a 4K TV. It's called the Xbox One S.

But if you don't have a 4K TV the Xbox Scorpio is going to be better too, because games for it don't need to be 4K anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ethomaz

Banned
How many weeks I need to wait to have a real, solid and DEFINITIVE answer from MS???

It's pretty telling that this communication "issue" was only discussed here, in NeoGAF.
It is not... I follow others communities.

Every place is confused because each new claim goes against the previous claim.

“Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for.”

Because we are human beings who live in the world and can read? Not sure what's confusing about this. One is him talking about how they're marketing and pricing this new console. The other is him talking about how developers will take advantage of this new console.

ironcreed

Banned

4k gamers will obviously get the most benefit for games that can run in 4k. But they are not going to stop developers from making games look and run amazing at lower resolutions with all of that extra power. Which is what most will want and they obviously will not ignore that. Simple.

VinFTW

It's really not...

It's never ok for the head of a product division to reveal a new product, and deliver completely contradictory messages about what the product does, and does not do within days of the reveal...

That is shit PR...yes, people should be able to see through the BS with some common sense, but that doesn't excuse fumbling your message...ESPECIALLY after the debacle that was the Xbone launch...

It's fine. This isn't an official hardware unveiling like the Xbox One was.

This is a text article. The vision will become clearer down the line.

GAF has given me some good morning laughs. The outrage in these threads are amazing.

This is not the terrible Xbox one reveal. Far from it.

The system is still a year away from even being shown. Calm yourself a down a bit.

Top Bottom