• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

We have a product for people without a 4K TV. It's called the Xbox One S.

But if you don't have a 4K TV the Xbox Scorpio is going to be better too, because it doesn't need to be 4K anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, we put a 4K bluray player in the Xbox One S. You know, the Xbox One S, for people without a 4K TV.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lunlunqq

So confusing... MS knows for sure that Xbone is done. There is no way to turn it around if things are kept as it is now. They need to throw out these new hardware to interrupt the current Sony-dominated market. But I guess they themselves haven't really thought through about how to prevent their own new hardware from killing each other.

He's just pimping it as a "4K Ready" machine. The OS will be native 4K, some token games will be 4K, all / most indies will be. The rest will be increased graphics etc just like Neo.

That's what will ultimately happen, no need for panic!

zoukka

Then why is the statement that running Scorpio at 1080p opposed to 4K wouldn't net any benefit so inaccurate?

What's being discussed is:

1- Devs can target 1080p and the console will just upscale the image.
2- Devs will create profiles for 1080p and 4k, where, when running at 1080p the game has enhanced graphics and/or framerate.
3- Devs must always target 4k and when the console is running at 1080p it'll be the same game without any enhancement.

If you take Spencer statement from the other thread you can rule out number 2, because he says that only with a 4K TV the console makes sense.

which for me was a ridiculous proposition and clearly misinformed. I was 100% certain spencer was talking from his ass.

OrochiJR

Gold Member
By this point what MS should do is release a press statement in the next few days or weeks and tell us exactly what Scorpio will be.

This tiptoeing around by Spencer is clearly because he doesn't want to say that the Xbox One S is basically just a filler model until the "true" revision of the console shows up. It was a dumb move to announce both at the same show.

RowdyReverb

GAF has given me some good morning laughs. The outrage in these threads are amazing.

This is not the terrible Xbox one reveal. Far from it.

The system is still a year away from even being shown. Calm yourself a down a bit.
It's really wild how thirsty people are for bad news about Scorpio. That thread about Spencer's statement on 4K blew up overnight

The PR is fine.

Its a powerful console capable of not just 4K movies, but 4K games, but he's not going to FORCE every developer to be ham-stringed by 4K resolution. Developers can choose what they want, either 4K resolution or enhanced visuals at 1080p.

Really, that's it.

But it's far from ideal to say things like....''Don't have 4K TV, don't go for Scorpio, go Xbox One S.'' when he definitely is aware that developers will definitely want to take some advantage of the new hardware, no night and day differences with the X1 version, but definitely differences that would make it worth for the hardcore gamer.

Really not Phil at his best here.

Kayant

People trying so hard to make this into the Xbox One fiasco.

All of you are educated, it's not a hard thing to understand.

We are over a YEAR AND A HALF till launch. It'll be plenty fine.
Not really they only have themselves to blame for saying contradicting statements - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233979

People being "educated" doesn't detract from poor messaging on their goals/vision.
It's fine. This isn't an official hardware unveiling like the Xbox One was.

This is a text article. The vision will become clearer down the line.
????
In what way is them revealing specs/vison/goals at the biggest gaming convention not an official hardware reveal.

Metfanant

It's fine. This isn't an official hardware unveiling like the Xbox One was.

This is a text article. The vision will become clearer down the line.
No, that is ATROCIOUS business..if you're doing your job, there should never be confusion about the vision behind a product..ever..

And if you can't deliver a clear vision for your product, then you should not unveil it, because you're not ready to do so yet...

This will in no way destroy the Scorpio, or the Xbox division...but it once again highlights that the division still hasn't figured their shit out

legacyzero

Banned
Really dont like this "Nobody gets left behind" mentality, when should just let developers chose how to develope for the platform. Is they wanna make a Scorpio exclusive game, just let them.

Not even themselves know the exact advatages of the newer machine. This is the result of trying to sell something forced that no one asked for...Wasn´t easier just to NOT releasing something underpowered at 2013, to begin with? And if you already sold that to million of people worldwide...why just not to focus in to push that hardware beyond it´s limits with games that really worth it? And then, you can start to think on releasing an upgraded model... But hey!, who wants that when you can focus on Kinect, multimedia bullshit and PS360 ports?

KORNdoggy

man, they went from devs choice how power is used, to no gains on 1080p TV's, back to devs choice...

just once i'd like a little bit of consistency with their messaging so i know what i'm getting.

How many weeks I need to wait to have a real, solid and DEFINITIVE answer from MS???

It is not... I follow others communities.

Every place is confused because each new claim goes against the previous claim.

You follow VGC (gets a lot of its news from gaf) and Vizioneck that i know of.

Every place includes IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Polygon, etc Which are not talking about it (as of this moment). Whether that remains, is to be determined

GHG

Gold Member
Oh god damnit.

How was I supposed to know :/

It's simple when I say it because that's what I got from the messaging.

Devs choose one:
a) pretty game w/ 4K resolution
b) gorgeous game w/ 1080p resolution

The messaging from Phil Spencer doesn't explicitly that though does it? He's saying different things in seemingly every interview he does.

StereoVsn

What the hell is going on with MS messaging. They did pretty well talking about Xbone S, crossbuy/crossplay with PC and talking about Scorpio.

Then once the conference is over it's like they can't think or talk their way out of a paper bag. Seriously, what the hell is going on with mixed messages.

Xbone S has additional CPU/GPU / No, Xbone S has no additional power.
Scorpio is for 4K only / No, devs can do whatever they want
All Scorpio Games will run on OG Xbone / No, Scorpio Games can be Scorpio only / Only VR games are Scorpio exclusive.

Seriously, MS including Spencer should stop talking. They need to decide internally what the hell they are doing first.

Zedox

He's just pimping it as a "4K Ready" machine. The OS will be native 4K, some token games will be 4K, all / most indies will be. The rest will be increased graphics etc just like Neo.

Nah, it's Neogaf. We gotta make it panicking.

No, that is ATROCIOUS business..if you're doing your job, there should never be confusion about the vision behind a product..ever..

And if you can't deliver a clear vision for your product, then you should not unveil it, because you're not ready to do so yet...

This will in no way destroy the Scorpio, or the Xbox division...but it once again highlights that the division still hasn't figured their shit out

He can't really stop people from misinterpreting what he's saying or taking it out of context. It's pretty obvious this is a high end console for early adopters while the Xbox One S is for the mainstream audience who won't have 4K tv's for years. You really have to want it to make this into anything.

What the hell is going on with MS messaging. They did pretty well talking about Xbone S, crossbuy/crossplay with PC and talking about Scorpio.

Then once the conference is over it's like they can't think or talk their way out of a paper bag. Seriously, what the hell is going on with mixed messages.

Xbone S has additional CPU/GPU / No, Xbone S has no additional power.
Scorpio is for 4K only / No, devs can do whatever they want
All Scorpio Games will run on OG Xbone / No, Scorpio Games can be Scorpio only / Only VR games are Scorpio exclusive.

Seriously, MS including Spencer should stop talking. They need to decide internally what the hell they are doing first.

99% of people aren't reading these comments tbh

he's got a long time to clean up his message

ethomaz

Banned
You follow VGC (gets a lot of its news from gaf) and Vizioneck.

Every place includes IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Polygon, etc Which are not talking about it (as of this moment). Whether that remains, is to be determined
I follow way more places than these places lol

Reddit, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, etc are all having the same discussion right now.

I follow brasilian news sites too... same thing happening.

I follow way more places than these places lol

Reddit, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, etc are all having the same discussion right now.

I follow brasilian news sites too... same thing happening.

I am going to assume this is the forums part of things? From what Im looking at, news outlets are not reporting this.

I would completely expect forums to talk about it

Not that any of this matters, its a confusing message by microsoft, so i fully expect people to talk about it.

SerTapTap

...at the end of the Xbox One press conference I thought they really got it and I wasn't sure how Sony was going to top 'em. Sony's conference aside, this has honestly been a disaster ever since. I dont' think the concept is bad, but they don't even appear to know what their own product is.

Can we not with the "no one aside from GAF cares"? Remember how true that turned out to be with the original Xbox One? The "average gamer" may not read GAF but they're also not blind, deaf and mute. If anything bad messaging affects average gamers more if it actually reaches them, some people were confused about Xbox One and used games for years.

He can't really stop people from misinterpreting what he's saying or taking it out of context. It's pretty obvious this is a high end console for early adopters while the Xbox One S is for the mainstream audience who won't have 4K tv's for years. You really have to want it to make this into anything.

Then why does Xbox One S have all that 4K stuff in it? They likely could've gotten the price down to 249 without it.

ethomaz

Banned
I am going to assume this is the forums part of things? From what Im looking at, news outlets are not reporting this.

I would completely expect forums to talk about it
GAF is a forum you know.... his claim was about only GAF talking about in some type of bias and that was not true like I said.

lol even more prove that Spencer is either a Andriod or a Doubleagent from Sony..
or both..
Yeah i think both, because of his Lisp, the Tech Engineers at Sony couldnt remove that flaw from their CIAA (Competitor Infiltration Andriod Agent) Program...

creatchee

I have a feeling that some people are going to be erroneously preaching that it's 4K only with no 1080p benefit up to and after launch, either due to ignorance or personal agenda.

It's going to be "Durr Xbone can't play used games durr" 2.0.

Stormy

The machine is still in flux spec wise, and will probably not go into production for about a year. In that time frame there will be plently of time to message this properly. It is not exactly unclear at the moment to be honest. Maybe there is something lost in translation from spoken word to reading it in writing here, or not. Either way I am not worried about this little detail right now.

Now, if in a year, the same thing is happening then I would be worried. Right now what I am seeing to me looks like a bunch of people who just want MS to fail and are looking for the tiniest bit of info they can towards that goal. I just do not see anything to get upset about at this point is all.

gamz

Yes, this. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

"OMG I'M SO CONFUSED! WHAT IS HAPPENING!" ;p

timlot

Banned
People trying so hard to make this into the Xbox One fiasco.

All of you are educated, it's not a hard thing to understand.

We are over a YEAR AND A HALF till launch. It'll be plenty fine.

They are, but this time the hardware can't be denied. So the fight is being waged on subjective fluff like messaging. The reality is (unless something changes) PS4Neo is a souped up 1080p60 VR machine while Scorpio is taking us into 4K with higher fidelity VR. Some are trying to come to copes with that, but there's time.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
To me it looks like Microsoft it's trying to sell 2 consoles to the same person.

Their message is like:

"Hey, look, we have this awesome console coming next year, it's the Xbox Scorpio. It's powerful, it's beautiful, it's a monster. But it only makes sense to buy it if you have a 4k TV.

If you don't have a 4K TV just buy the newly announced Xbox One S, which is like the old Xbox One, but is capable of 4K media reproduction, you know, for people that have a 4K tv.

But did I already said that even if you don't have a 4K TV the Scorpio is a good choice? As developers can choose how to use the resources, you'll get unbelievable 1080p games."

which for me was a ridiculous proposition and clearly misinformed. I was 100% certain spencer was talking from his ass.

I tend to agree, but we can't just dismiss it like it was nothing. He's the Head of the division, the guy thats supposed to know 100% the strategy and have a clear understanding of the message and the possibilities of his product.

While it might be easy to use common sense and read through the confusion, still is a poor showing for the company seeing their executives running around butting heads.

ironcreed

Banned
Nah, it's Neogaf. We gotta make it panicking.

Yeah, this is pretty stupid, yet typical outrage. They are not so dumb as to tell everyone (most of us) without a 4k TV to go fuck off. If anything, devs will want to utilize the extra power at 1080p and make better looking games that run like silk, They are not going to prevent this from happening, as he already clarified.

GAF is a forum you know.... his claim was about only GAF talking about that.

Im aware that gaf is a forum yes. Forums tend to over-react about these type of things. What I am saying is that news outlets are not talking about it, and thats how i read his comment as well. Again that could change, but at this moment, no.

To me it looks like Microsoft it's trying to sell 2 consoles to the same person.

Their message is like:

"Hey, look, we have this awesome console coming next year, it's the Xbox Scorpio. It's powerful, it's beautiful, it's a monster. But it only makes sense to buy it if you have a 4k TV.

If you don't have a 4K TV just buy the newly announced Xbox One S, which is like the old Xbox One, but is capable of 4K media reproduction, you know, for people that have a 4K tv.

But did I already said that even if you don't have a 4K TV the Scorpio is a good choice? As developers can choose how to use the resources, you'll get unbelievable 1080p games."

What I was trying to convey, but better. They're catering to similar audiences, but nobody is going to buy the One S AND the Scorpio.

To be forward thinking and for people who have 4K now.

But those are the same people that will want a Scorpio next year.

Montresor

Man I'm surprised at the thread explosions around here right now. It's only 10am here on the east coast and we are talking about mixed messaging and confused gamers and how MS has lost it?

I don't know. Seems like a PR mixup where Phil said the wrong thing (you have to have a 4k tv) but is it really that hard to use critical thinking and realize he probably meant devs are free to choose whatever res they want, and that a game at 4k res will only show benefits on a 4k tv?

Doesn't that seem obvious?

Top Bottom