• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - Watch_Dogs

pixlexic

Banned
I think this is exactly what a multiplatform game should be like going from the ps4 to xbone. It's the exact type of differences I expect to see. You may be disappoint by the reveal and release graphics but I think the game was handled very well on both platforms.

Joeki11a

Banned
Im talking about the filtering, its shit, just like it was in Infamous and alot of other PS4 games.

Surely theres a reason why 16x anisotropic filtering isnt been used, as its so cheap to use in PC gaming.
Anisotropic_filtering_en.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thats for Day time, like I said for some reason in day time all the quality of the textures go down, it all looks flat, filter helps it.
I taken shots off screen yesterday where the game looked generations ahead of what you posted there, it looked super HD textured no fiter none, it all looked clean as hell.

Dont know wtf engine Ubi used for this but it doesn't deliver the same quality look all the time, dynamically changing all the time its weird.

RPGCrazied

Far Cry 4, CoD, BF, etc.

There's loads.

Also, most "professional" game reviewers don't talk about technical issues, so the only way I could see what was the best version was from digital foundry.

No way am I dropping $60 on a game I know nothing on how it runs. What happened to day 1 demos?!

Chabbles

Thats for Day time, like I said for some reason in day time all the quality of the textures go down, it all looks flat, filter helps it.
I taken shots off screen yesterday where the game looked generations ahead of what you posted there, it looked super HD textured no fiter none, it all looked clean as hell.

Dont know wtf engine Ubi used for this but it doesn't deliver the same quality look all the time, dynamically changing all the time its weird.

The only reason it looks better at night is because vision is impaired by the darkness, and all the blemishes aren't as apparent.

I done a little searching for PC vs PS4 screenshot comparison, and even maxed on PC (with 16xAF i assume) the texture filtering isnt really all that much better than the PS4's

PC
WDImage2-PC.jpg

PS4
WDImage2-PS4.jpg

Chaplain

People who like to use "lazy devs!" are going to have a field day with this one:

The overall perception we get here is that Ubisoft targeted its optimization efforts for PS4, scaled back the engine proportionately for Xbox One and wasn't quite so focused on hitting that 30fps target there.

I assumed at the end of last year that the reason Watch Dogs was delayed was due to the Xbox One version having problems running the game and Microsoft asking for a delay to get the game out at the same time. hmmm

Ricky_R

The only reason it looks better at night is because vision is impaired by the darkness, and all the blemishes aren't as apparent.

I done a little searching for PC vs PS4 screenshot comparison, and even maxed on PC (with 16xAF i assume) the texture filtering isnt really all that much better than the PS4's

PC
WDImage2-PC.jpg

PS4
WDImage2-PS4.jpg

PS4 version looks quite blurry in comparison.

Played a few hours on Watch Dogs so far and it's really beautiful at time and quite ugly in others, I go from being amazed to thinking it could look better at other times.

My wife saw me play a little bit last night and commented on how the lighting during the day time looked pretty realistic, and I agree.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
PS4 has the self-shadowing which makes it look instantly better than the xbone. Making it very easy to tell the screenshots apart.

If you think the Xbone shots are missing self shadowing, you have no idea what self shadowing is...

The most noticeable difference in stills is the AO strength followed by i.q which is barely noticeable (both are littered with aliasing).

PS4 version looks quite blurry in comparison.

It doesn't look as sharp but there still isn't a huge gigantic difference.

That said, what is with the poor filtering on next gen games? My creaky old GTX560m with it's 60gbps GDDR5 has never had a problem with max filtering on high texture settings. Doesn't lose a single fps.

Ricky_R

It doesn't look as sharp but there still isn't a huge gigantic difference.

That said, what is with the poor filtering on next gen games? My creaky old GTX560m with it's 60gbps GDDR5 has never had a problem with max filtering on high texture settings. Doesn't lose a single fps.

Yeah, it's nothing massive, but it's quite clear.

It's weird that the differences in resolution/AA does not seem consistent... In some edges it's very hard to spot the difference, in others it's pretty clear.

But overall, the scalers on these consoles seems very good indeed. Considering the resolution delta I expected more pronounced differences.

PC
WDImage2-PC.jpg

PS4
WDImage2-PS4.jpg

You have to force AF through the GPU settings in order to actually get it on the PC version. Without doing that it's the same filtering as the console versions.

ValeYard

I'm playing on Xbox One, so glad to hear my version isn't totally gimped ;)

I've seen some tearing, but it hasn't been too frequent, pretty much as digital foundry concluded. Generally, I've found objects in the distance when driving to look very last gen, but explosions have nice particle effects, so you wins some you lose some.

If I had ps4 I'd have gone for that version for sure, though. Shame pc seems badly optimized otherwise I would've waited for my new build at the end of the year.

Considering these are still pretty new consoles, I think it must have been a pretty non-trivial task to get all versions running, so well done, I guess. I literally have no insight into development. But thanks for the game, although the mission "Caught in the Loop" is so bad, I'd pay money not to play it.

RudoIudo

Afaik the PC version doesn't have a AF setting and it's locked at 4 or 8x (can't remember).
You still can change it through console commands (every time you start/load the game) .

PC ubi ports, you know.

Joeki11a

Banned

PC
WDImage2-PC.jpg

PS4
WDImage2-PS4.jpg

nah see those pics you posted there dont really show what I seen on my TV, I need to show you what I mean, pics are on my Twitter
all taken off screen with the phone.

I caught all the different looks this game pumps out, at one point even looks very colorful vibrant like the new Strider, goes from super hd textured to flat looking low res filtered textures, crazy. I want to know why or how does this happen this engine seems to dynamically change its quality.

mephixto

Banned

PC
WDImage2-PC.jpg

PS4
WDImage2-PS4.jpg

You can force 16x AF on Nvidia Control Panel.

Maybe it's just the scene, but that doesn't really look that much better than last gen to me.

The game is very hit and miss in the visual department. Sometimes it looks insanely good, some times it feels like it would be a bad looking last gen game.

PC
WDImage2-PC.jpg

PS4
WDImage2-PS4.jpg

The lack of 1080p on PS4 is very obvious in this comparison. :/

BigDug13

Still a cross platform game. I'm looking forward to how vast the differences become using engines built just for PS4/XBO.

Joeki11a

Banned
Somebody at Ubisoft explain to me how at this moment, time and situation the game looks
This amazing?. Why it cant look this way all the time?, why didnt they choose to only be like this?
PS4-
https://mobile.twitter.com/Joeki11a/media/grid?idx=2&tid=472171218494164992

Look at the other pics, see how it delivers a low res look at day time, to a very vibrant almost cartoony look at a Pier at night, to flat muted colors look. what engine is this? why does it make the game look different quality at certain times?.

sector4

Didn't Xbox One allow developers to render HUD and other interface elements at full 1080p while rendering the game itself at lower resolutions (and merging both "layers" after game upscaling took place)? This was one of the very first features leaked about the console before its launch, maybe it wasn't right? Or maybe Ubisoft isn't using it.
I remember the devs of Dead Rising 3 talking about doing this for their game on XB1. It definitely rings a bell, I'm not sure if all devs are using it though.

Damn, that looks pretty damn close. Under the DF microscope is the only way to be able to tell that there's a difference, but I bet if you played one version at a friends house, then went somewhere else and played the other, it wouldn't be significant at all, at least imo.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
DX12 + Better tools + 10% from dropping kinect = more powerful than PS4.

Do you actually believe that or is this sarcasm? There's no amount of tinkering that will make the XB1s RAM and GPU a match with the PS4's

quite blurry? hardly. Its just a little bit blurry but its almost not even noticeable.
The differences seem pretty small across the board really. These are hardly Xbox-PS2 level discrepancies. People overanalyze these threads but in reality the differences aren't hugely noticeable.

RetroStu

Banned
quite blurry? hardly. Its just a little bit blurry but its almost not even noticeable.

The differences in those comparison pics look just as big as most 100 page X1/PS4 comparison threads we constantly get on here. The threads where some people tell us how huge the differences are.

The PC version simply looks better.

I believe that has more to do with texture filtering forced on for the PC version, not the fault of running at 900p.

I'm not so sure about that, just look at the "Underground Access" text; I should be able to read that clearly; it's like I'm wearing slightly out of focus glasses - it's clear upscaling. I'm not trying to bash the PS4; I have one and don't game on PC, but native resolution is important. Every game I have for this gen is native res.

16xAF on PC

watch_dogs2014-05-280r8s1t.jpg

Beautiful shot.

The Llama

Why does the scale of height suddenly change in that picture? it goes up in 3 inch increments,
then suddenly jumps from 5'9 to 6'2. its almost as though they thought there were only 10 inches to a foot.

Oh... my... god...

Megaton.

Tsundere

Banned
Why does the scale of height suddenly change in that picture? it goes up in 3 inch increments,
then suddenly jumps from 5'9 to 6'2. its almost as though they thought there were only 10 inches to a foot.

Not all the texture artists are good at math.

Raist

Banned
then suddenly jumps from 5'9 to 6'2. its almost as though they thought there were only 10 inches to that particular foot.

I'm assuming they use the metric system
as everyone should
in Montreal?

Do you actually believe that or is this sarcasm? There's no amount of tinkering that will make the XB1s RAM and GPU a match with the PS4's

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

Top Bottom