• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - Watch_Dogs

shandy706

It would be nice if any positives for each system were bold.

I'm trying to decide between a sellable physical/rentable X1 copy or waiting on a cheap PC copy down the road.

TheDude108

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

o_O'

RetroStu

Banned
Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

Pretty good attempt up until that point. Never talk about 'the power of the cloud' when attempting to wum people, its too obvious.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I'm confused, I still think your being sarcastic but I can't tell for sure. I'm sure some people actually believe this and that's scary to me.

The Llama

3/10 trolling, try harder next time

Bgamer90

Banned
Still a cross platform game. I'm looking forward to how vast the differences become using engines built just for PS4/XBO.

Yeah, I'm assuming Watch_Dogs 2 will be current gen only. Might be a really big graphical jump.

Anyway, Watch_Dogs is "off" in some ways but I'm liking it so far.

Ricky_R

quite blurry? hardly. Its just a little bit blurry but its almost not even noticeable.

I used the word quite because I noticed it immediately and I compared the shots on different tabs, not side by side. I also didn't know which was which when I first compared them so I wasn't contaminated.

While not huge, I think the blurriness is very noticable.

Septimus

9/10 Nicely done.

Chabbles

16xAF on PC

watch_dogs2014-05-280r8s1t.jpg

Great shot. The ground texture only starts to blur at the very end of whats viewable of the stone path. On console, 3 or 4 meters and its good bye detail.

16xAF on PC

watch_dogs2014-05-280r8s1t.jpg

Looks great.

Could you tell us how much your VRAM increased with this?
I've got a 2GB card, and it uses around 1940 MB with high settings at 1080p, it may well go over that with 16xAF, and I'd get a big performance loss if it goes overbudget.

Yaoibot

Satire? Quite brilliant if it is. Highly convincing portrayal of a delusional lunatic. 10/10!

d9b

Banned

Don't forget unlocking the secret sauce inside the power brick as a final blow to PS4 when the time is right. It's gonna be great!

MMaRsu

Banned

Hahahahaha what are you saying bro do you REALLY believe this nonsense???? Honest question.

I like how it's always Xbox one quotes that are highlighted in the OP. What about comparing the ps4 and PC for example?

Every ps4 and xbone will display the game the same way so they can be compared easily. However the PC version is dependent on your PC. So its hard to compare ps4 vs pc because it depends on your individual set up. Comparing ps4 or xbone to the pc at the utmost max settings is pointless the vast majority of people dont have the specs so it doesnt matter. My pc probably wouldnt be able to run watch dogs let alone beat out my ps4 so i couldnt care less if the PC comes out on top because in the real world my pc would not come out on top. It would only be useful for those who want to know how it could run on the best hardware you could buy and those who have that hardware. (however i think they only had the pc version at 1080 for this but still)

mjl.gif

Violater

The hair looks bad on all fronts, Its a minor detail but a longstanding pet peeve of mine.
Hopefully I will have some time to dig more into the game this weekend.

Wow, those first comparison screen shot are just ugly. Granted I have not played the game myself but if those screenshots are any indication, this game doesnt look very "next-gen"

Raist

Banned

All that, plus you just wait until they unlock the dGPU and the hidden RAM.
XB1 will be over 9000xPS4.

Wow, those first comparison screen shot are just ugly. Granted I have not played the game myself but if those screenshots are any indication, this game doesnt look very "next-gen"

I was going to say the same thing.

At face value, the game could be mistaken for GTAV.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

And when that doesn't happen, how long are you going to be prepared to carry the banner?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I was going to say the same thing.

At face value, the game could be mistaken for GTAV.

Whilst the environments/art style are not as varied as GTAV, it is FAR prettier. At times it's ok looking but other times its absolutely stunning.

Not that it needs to be quoted again but lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I thought you were better than that.

pixlexic

Banned
It would be nice if any positives for each system were bold.

I'm trying to decide between a sellable physical/rentable X1 copy or waiting on a cheap PC copy down the road.

Right now the PC version is horrible compared to the others. It takes a lot to get it run smoothly and it still has weird hang ups.

rokkerkory

hehehhehehe 8/10

Wut? There is no dGPU man. But DX12 + better tools + kinect being dropped is real. What's with people trying to downplay the inevitable? This is good for all gamers man. If XBO is more powerful then that means developers have an easier time porting games to PC thanks to DX12. I don't think XBO being more powerful than PS4 is going to be a big deal in the end. We might see things like 1080p on XBO and 900p on PS4. But we're like a year away from that becoming the norm. Surely that's better than developers being lazy like with Watch_Dogs right? They're probably not even using tiled resources which gives XBO a big boost in performance.

Either way, I can't wait till developers unlock the full potential of these consoles, just imagine all games looking like Ryse as the baseline! =O

Come on guys....really?

Anyways, we're getting off topic. I think the differences between the two aren't as big as other games. Hopefully they patch the AO in the XBO version, must be broken.

shandy706

"MHBAO is Ubisoft's in-house solution, described by Nvidia as a "half-resolution, console quality... technique" and seems to be in place on both PS4 and Xbox One, and it's also the standard solution for PC out of the box."

Myself and a few others were correct then.

The PS4 and X1 build are darn near identical there.

The aliasing is near identical...heck even their PC example has a ton of it, but that can be fixed.

Looks like one should be happy with either console build. I keep hesitating on picking up a physical console version or the cheaper PC copy...ugh...

Right now the PC version is horrible compared to the others. It takes a lot to get it run smoothly and it still has weird hang ups.

From what I read that's mostly when one is pushing for locked 60 (vs 30 on the consoles). It's also why I kind of want to pick up a sale-able/rent-able console version....as the PC version will probably have all kinds of sales.

Markitron

Wut? There is no dGPU man. But DX12 + better tools + kinect being dropped is real. What's with people trying to downplay the inevitable? This is good for all gamers man. If XBO is more powerful then that means developers have an easier time porting games to PC thanks to DX12. I don't think XBO being more powerful than PS4 is going to be a big deal in the end. We might see things like 1080p on XBO and 900p on PS4. But we're like a year away from that becoming the norm. Surely that's better than developers being lazy like with Watch_Dogs right? They're probably not even using tiled resources which gives XBO a big boost in performance.

Either way, I can't wait till developers unlock the full potential of these consoles, just imagine all games looking like Ryse as the baseline! =O

Come on guys....really?

Lol, nice one. If this was a tweet I would favourite it. I'll bet there are people that actually believe this

Kayant

You're forgetting HSA, PC 2.0 architecture, 128 Esram unlock, local cloud.

The XB1 won't be competing with PS4 when all it's power is unlocked it will be going toe to toe with the likes of i7's with 780Ti/290x.

Jk btw

OT - The AO difference is really apparent between the two.

Come on guys....really?

Woooow it got even better. A+

Shin-Ra

Even the PC version looks messy in the DF shots but at least it doesn't suffer the extra blurring from upscaling.

And Richard should stick to factual analysis.

xXBaconXx

Banned

Come on guys....really?

Anyways, we're getting off topic. I think the differences between the two aren't as big as other games. Hopefully they patch the AO in the XBO version, must be broken.

I didn't think you were gonna do it, but then you did.

Nice.

Water

I wonder if I'm the only one bothered by the fact that the two NPCs shown ahead are both clearly levitating in the air (thanks to insufficient shadowmap resolution, or coordinate bump for shadowmap tolerances?). Glaringly obvious for the NPC on the left.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

Come on guys....really?

Brilliant satire......I am sure you will suck in many gullible juniors with this reverse troll

+1

BigDug13

No game looks next gen when the engine is still designed to run on 256MB of VRAM with physics and compute being handled by 8 year old CPU's with 256MB main RAM.

It just doesn't happen. Watch Dogs will never approach inFamous levels of graphics while it's still coming out on PS3 and 360.

Why does the scale of height suddenly change in that picture? it goes up in 3 inch increments,
then suddenly jumps from 5'9 to 6'2. its almost as though they thought there were only 10 inches to that particular foot.

Some poor intern was thinking "3 6 9 12" to themselves, got the inches right, and then added 3 to 9 in the same way on the left without thinking. Either that, or someone said "Memo says he has to be 6'3" and someone bullshitted it to get home early on a Friday.

RayMaker

Banned
Well when the difference is so small that it does not detract from the experience it is not a problem.

Obviously multi console should get the PS4 version.

Are there people who would get actually upset if they were playing the X1 version and were like ''My god I cannot enjoy this game now because there is very slightly less shadows and a a little more aliasing on the shadows''

because if thats the level of differences that would cause you distress I dont think the XBOX one or PS4 is the system for you!

Come on guys....really?

You have captured the spirit of misterxmedia and are to be commended. I cry every time I read this

Top Bottom