• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastword

Banned
Do you expect any games to run worse than PS4 Pro? I'm not sure how you get "worse".
That depends if they push the 4k native issue.....remember when people mocked the PRO for having checkerboarded solutions? MS was pretty adamant on 4k native and how "uncompressed" the pixels would be. I've seen many jabs at pro for being "faux k", so if Scorpio is the most "powerful console ever" it will have to show it in more than a few fps....If devs push resolution and better graphical settings, framerate will naturally take the fall.....

Interesting... they removed the "first and only"... good catch guys.

E3 "The most powerful console ever, with 6 teraflops of graphical processing power. The first and only console to enable true 4K gaming and hi-fidelity VR. Compatible with all your Xbox One games and accessories"

Today "The most powerful console ever, featuring 6 Teraflops of graphical processing power, true 4K gaming, and compatibility with Xbox One games and accessories."

Interesting to see that "hi-fidelity VR" is taken out.

leeh

I mean I'm dissappointed about the CPU as I was hoping for it to be better than the PoS Jaguar, but some of the posts in here now are insane.

It's still a huge boost. People are making out the thing is a PoS itself.

It was July 2016 as well, things can and probably will change.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Albert Penello, since you're already posting in this thread, can you confirm/comment if MS is still implementing a VR solution for Scorpio at launch?

kadotsu

Banned
Too bad both mid gen updates focused on resolution over performance. I'm not getting a 4k TV anytime soon so there is little incentive for me to upgrade either platform.

I'm most interested in how MS will handle the Scorpio sdk and OS wise now. They already have shown that they are good at translation with 360 releases on XB1. It would be great if their SDK allowed for a simple uprender solution that doesn't need extensive QA. That way they would get more 4k games faster after the console releases.

Jez Cordon says he also saw the documents that were dated around E3 2016 and says things have changed. Not sure what he is implying on the hardware or dev tools.

MilkyJoe

Albert Penello, since you're already posting in this thread, can you confirm/comment if MS is still implementing a VR solution for Scorpio at launch?

And can you put some light on the removal of the "high fidelity VR" from the slide?

Thanks

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If the PS4 Pro is anything to go by, zero developers will be focusing on 1080p outside of downsampling.

As a smart exec, I'd be mandating an enhanced 1080p mode. With so few people owning 4K TVs, being able to show the benefits Scorpio bring at 1080p, versus the vanilla One would sell shit loads of consoles.

Only marketing Scorpio as a 4K box would be a huge mistake.

jeffram

So it's basically the same approach that sony* took with the Pro, except in 2017.

A year late, but with efficiencies to show for it.

Any news that comes out about the xbox is seen through a lens of negativity( I wonder why..). Last year it was "Scorpio is doomed, no one will buy that overpriced xbox". Today, "MS lied about the Scorpio, it's not as powerful as it was claimed to be". All with the probability of it being the same price as the Pro with a massive increase in GPU performance. Games(especially games primarily on console) don't need crazy good CPU's. Hell, I'm running a 6 year CPU in my desktop and I get 140+fps @ 1440p on all games with high settings.
The problem is that AMD's CPUs are genuinely dreadful. Your 6 year old CPU would run rings around the CPU in the PS4 Pro in PC games. That's largely why Zen is so hyped (it's the first AMD CPU in the smart end of a decade that looks like its going to not be completely worthless for gaming) and why everyone is disappointed with this paper implying a Jaguar CPU (which means a 60fps upgrade at any resolution won't happen for any console game currently available that runs at 30fps).

Head.spawn

That depends if they push the 4k native issue.....remember when people mocked the PRO for having checkerboarded solutions? MS was pretty adamant on 4k native and how "uncompressed" the pixels would be. I've seen many jabs at pro for being "faux k", so if Scorpio is the most "powerful console ever" it will have to show it in more than a few fps....If devs push resolution and better graphical settings, framerate will naturally take the fall.....

I'm sorry, faux K is still hilarious and we gotta remember, it was just a joke; same as 1080pr and the like.

As for the rest, again it's hard to comment on that when we have no clue how that performance pans out and the conversation also doesn't take into consideration other areas where Scorpio has gains in potential bottlenecks that could factor in.

epic games did 1080p on pro

Looks really good too. It could certainly use a smidge more clarity, but I'll be damned if doesn't look pretty awesome in action. That dude with the dual hatchets up close going ape shit on you is a sight to see.

EmiPrime

I don't know how anyone can spin this as bad news. Jaguar core (probably), no ESRAM, 6TF... that almost certainly means a $400 price point and that it will release on time this year.

The bullshit merchants who were going on about $500-600, Zen core, 8TF, 2018 release etc were wrong! Thank god for that.

As a smart exec, I'd be mandating an enhanced 1080p mode. With so few people owning 4K TVs, being able to show the benefits Scorpio bring at 1080p, versus the vanilla One would sell shit loads of consoles.

And, as the PS4 demonstrates, pretty much all the developers disagree with you. Subsequently, I do expect Scorpio to be marketed as a 4k first an foremost (if this paper remains true).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Didn't MS reveal their own VR headset? I figured it would use that, considering Oculus requires an i5 class CPU.
This is my gut reaction currently as well IF they are still implementing a VR solution for Scorpio at launch. Especially since Oculus is fucking toxic right now with the court cases & Luckey.

dogen

The problem is that AMD's CPUs are genuinely dreadful. Your 6 year old CPU would run rings around the CPU in the PS4 Pro in PC games. That's largely why Zen is so hyped (it's the first AMD CPU in the smart end of a decade that looks like its going to not be completely worthless for gaming) and why everyone is disappointed with this paper implying a Jaguar CPU (which means a 60fps upgrade at any resolution won't happen for any console game currently available that runs at 30fps).

Jaguar is an alright cpu, especially when it was released. Bulldozer was the line that people really had a problem with.

I mean, jaguar competed with intel's comparable cpus at the time, so it has nothing to do with amd.

I'm not seeing disappointment, just a load of faux outrage, and people pretending others are disappointed.

Just another day on here unfortunately

This is what I am seeing in this thread as well. The article really doesn't tell us much of anything new. Shit the white papers they are looking at were released right after the E3 reveal, like cmon lol. People who are ignoring a 40%+ GPU advantage are either trolling or just have no idea what any of this means.

In terms of CPU nothing has been confirmed in this white paper, also MS never stated what kind of 8 core CPU we are gettong, so everything is speculation...White paper don't confirm anything besides no more esram and some GPU features. If this thing does come with a Jaguar, no one lied to us...As it was never confirmed in the first place. End of the day, Scorpio is a powerful machine and has an advantage over the pro. Whether or not we get a substantial amount of native 4k games remains to be seen but expect it to have more than the pro will.

Hmmm... I was sort of counting for this to be a substantial improvement over PS4 Pro. It would be a good reason to upgrade original Xbone to the one with 4K blu ray player...

leeh

Jaguar is a fine cpu, especially when it was released. Bulldozer was the line that people really had a problem with.

I mean, jaguar competed with intel's comparable cpus at the time, so it has nothing to do with amd.
Jaguar would get outclassed by a first gen i7 which released 7 years ago, potentially even a i5. They're crap.

jeffram

It's an upgraded Xbox One. They've implied it would be an upgraded Xbox One for awhile now.
I think they lead people to believe that there should be improvements across the board. The new approach is no more generations, just gradual constant improvements to the box. If it does have the same CPU, it's very much the same generation as Xbox one.

More Xbox one s pro and less Xbox 2017.

I absolutely agree with you here. Sony made this mistake during their initial unveiling of the PS4 Pro and left many non-enthusiasts confused as to whether the Pro did anything outside of 4K.

Microsoft could really excel here by highlighting 1080p improvements. Especially if they have a decent game lineup planned for this year. Every game announced at their E3 press conference "needs" to show us performance on Scorpio vs Xbox One S first and foremost. IMO, 4K should be a footnote unless they somehow have a magical way to showcase it for the people who will watch via 1080p sets.

Jaguar would get outclassed by a first gen i7 which released 7 years ago, potentially even a i5. They're crap.

Yeah I'm surprised at how well it holds up at certain configurations, the potato masher series on YT uses one, and with a 480 can get pretty high framerates on Witcher 3, which is a big CPU intensive game.

Bsigg12

Uhhh hold up. Is Scorpio VR actually happening or not?

Albert Penello, since you're already posting in this thread, can you confirm if MS is still implementing a VR solution for Scorpio at launch?

I'm curious to if their overall approach for VR has changed if they removed the section saying g only the Scorpio could do it.

EvB

I wonder where the "beefier" quote comes into place if this white paper is true?

Is it beefier than this?

ps4-oxo.jpg

shandy706

And can you put some light on the removal of the "high fidelity VR" from the slide?

Thanks

Are you sure your not letting Sony have a 40% advantage yet Albert? Funny how you guys all show up when you want to.

You should not let people freak out and then disappoint them.

Albert Penallo said:
The system will do Native 4k. The system is capable of doing VR better than any other console. The system is 6TF, therefore it will run games quite a bit better than the PS4 Pro and massively better than the Xbox One

Thanks for the response Al.

c0de

This is my gut reaction currently as well IF they are still implementing a VR solution for Scorpio at launch. Especially since Oculus is fucking toxic right now with the court cases & Luckey.
I wonder if they just drop it completely. It's nothing people are crazy about in masses currently and it's still missing the one killer game to convince people. In the end, they would have to rely on third party support anyway because of close to no first party games.

leeh

Yeah I'm surprised at how well it holds up at certain configurations, the potato masher series on YT uses one, and with a 480 can get pretty high framerates on Witcher 3, which is a big CPU intensive game.
Completely agree. I've got a 2nd gen i5 in my laptop and I recently installed an SSD as the hard drive was dying and it feels brand new.

Props to Intel.

Interesting... they removed the "first and only"... good catch guys.

E3 "The most powerful console ever, with 6 teraflops of graphical processing power. The first and only console to enable true 4K gaming and hi-fidelity VR. Compatible with all your Xbox One games and accessories"

Today "The most powerful console ever, featuring 6 Teraflops of graphical processing power, true 4K gaming, and compatibility with Xbox One games and accessories."

The all your xbox games taken out too. Wow if this means what I think it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom